Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi dutifully follows Kaori. No delays means no delays.

She does watch events unfold as she passes, though. She's inspecting.

pre:

Name: Utaku Natsumi		Rank: 2
Clan: Unicorn			Experience:	99/100
School:	Iuchi Shugenja		Insight: 164

Earth: 3	Air : 2		Honor: 	6 
				Glory: 	2
Sta: 3		Ref: 2		Infamy:	0   		
Wil: 3		Awa: 2 		Status:	3 
				Taint: 	0  
Water: 3	Fire: 2

Str: 3		Agi: 2
Per: 3		Int: 2

Void: 3
			Wounds
Initiative: 4k2		Healthy  (+ 0): 15
Armor: None		Nicked   (+ 3): 6
TN: 15/15		Grazed   (+ 5): 6
Reduction: 0		Hurt     (+10): 6
Healing Rate: 		Injured  (+15): 6
			Crippled (+20): 6
			Down     (+40): 6
			Out           :

Skill			Rank	Trait	Emphasis
Battle			1	Awa	
Calligraphy		1	Int	Cipher
Horsemanship		2	Agi
Investigation		3	Per
Lore: Theology          3       Int
Meditation  	        2       Voi
Spellcraft	        5       Int

Athletics		2	Str
Artisan (poetry)	3	Awa
Defense 		2	Ref
Etiquette		3	Awa
Games (shogi) 		1	Int	
Kenjutsu		1	Agi
Medicine    		1	Int
Sincerity	     	1       Awa

Mastery
Spellcraft		+1k0 Spell Casting Rolls
Investigation		2nd attempt to Search emphasis without TN increase
Etiquette		+3 Insight

Advantage				Points    
Irreproachable				2
Sage					3
Paragon (Duty)				7

Disadvantage                            Points
Contrary	                        +3
Idealistic                              +2

Techniques

Spirit of the Wind:
 - Can take Complex Action to sacrifice a spell slot and grant one target a Simple Move Action
 - Free raise on any spell with the Travel keyword

Spells: Affinity/Deficiency: Water/Fire

Universal: Commune, Sense, Summon
Air: Legacy of Kaze-no-Kami, Benten's Touch
Earth: Jade Strike, Jurojin's Balm, Embrace of Kenro-Ji-Jin
Water: Path To Inner Peace, Reversal of Fortunes, Spirit of the Water, Regrow the Wound

Outfit:
Extravagant clothing, wakizashi, katana (at home), calligraphy set, traveling pack, Unicorn riding horse, books and scrolls, medicine kit, 9 koku

Ettin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"We have time to look at everything, if we are swift. Then we can prepare for a more thorough inspection tomorrow. We should not need the eta.

"Who knows we are here?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi stops gawking at the nezumi in the kimono and follows the others to the mess hall.

"So, they are satisfied? Good news," she says idly, casting her gaze across the tables...

Investigation/Perception = 4k3 to see if anyone is reacting to our arrival in a way we might care about.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi finds somewhere quiet and tries to Commune with a local Water kami, just in case they have something relevant to say or someone's been angering the spirits lately. If Water specifically is a terrible idea, she tries Earth!

4k3 either way, I believe.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi frowns slightly. Of course it had to happen while they were inspecting.

"I will accompany you, Mayumi.

"Who found the body?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi looks over the scene, with poorly-concealed distaste. Especially the body!

"No sword wounds... So, Sayako-san killed Hida-san with something else, stole her clothes and left Watchpoint Sixty-Three on foot."

"What is she up to? Are there any good places to hide nearby?"

4k3 Investigation, trying to figure out how she died. I also have 3k2 Medicine if that helps.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 2, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Torn between what this looks like to her based on her earlier snap judgement and her sister Kaori claiming the other thing, Natsumi avoids agreeing with either of them. "Yes, we need to find Sayako, and quickly. I will accompany Kaori-san."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi nods. "Then I will accompany you, onēsan."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi bows. "The more scouts we have, the faster we may find Sayako-san. Or her trail, at the least. We will report back as soon as we can."

Once Kaori mounts up and goes to scout, she follows.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"I have read about ninja," Natsumi offers. "Did you know Sayako-san?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"That is why I avoid drink," Natsumi says idly as she prepares to look for Sayako. She's definitely out here somewhere.

"Why the eta?"

Looking around with Investigation, 4k3!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

"Are you ready to get your first real Shadowlands kills?" asks the Hiruma, eagerly.

"This is unexpected. I am ready to try if you are, sister."

In other words, no.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Hoo boy!

Initiative: 3d10k2 7

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

As they approach, Natsumi pulls a scroll from her pouch and flicks it open. She recites a prayer in the mystical tongue of the kami, and a ball of iridescent jade energy swirls around her before thundering towards her chosen goblin...

Using a Complex Action to cast Jade Strike (4k3) at my goblin, adding a raise to increase damage from 3k3 to 4k3.

quote:

<+skybot> Ettin: 33 (4d10=9, 5, 9, 10)

quote:

<+skybot> Ettin: 24 (4d10=7, 7, 2, 8)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi nods to the Hiruma, and makes what she assumes to be a threatening gesture towards the goblin.

"Speak!"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi's report praises the scouts and their victory over the goblins more than it talks about the murder; she wasn't there when the investigation concluded. However, she does mention a need for everyone to focus on their loyalty to the Emperor rather than their clan. The mess hall is a good start, but there needs to be more incentive to form mixed groups. Natsumi makes several suggestions, though as she has spent more time in libraries and riding horses with other Unicorns than mingling with other clans they are not very good ones.

Rolling Calligraphy for a sweet-looking report:

quote:

<+skybot> Ettin: 6 (3d10=1, 3, 2)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi is... displeased with the deception, but she is willing to hand her papers over while the others talk about legs. "Utaku Natsumi."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi cleans up, puts on her best shugenja outfit and makes sure her scroll satchel and books are arranged properly. Once she's done fussing, she simply reads and waits.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Time to be contrary! :getin:

"That's not a very good poem," Natsumi opines. "It should be something like...

"Ah, infrastructure
Even dead trees in winter
Are more riveting"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi is out of haikus for now, so she tries to recall if she's heard anything about this Order of Venom.

Theology 3k2!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi tries to edge away from Doji Saito in case he says "infrastructure" again, and seeks out someone more interesting.

I think I'll start talking to the others too!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
An Asahina, you say. :buddy:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi introduces herself. "Hello! I am Utaku Natsumi. Ah... are you also here to discuss infrastructure?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"So what does bring you here, Asahina-san?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi feels very sad too. This is one sad lady.

"That seems unnecessary. Surely they could spare someone who wouldn't suffer here?"

"The Crab I've known are very... determined, at least," she opines with zero authority. "I'm sure Sukune-san can cope."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"It's a little sad," Natsumi admits, "What did you say your name was, Asahina-san?"

Subtle!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi has gone without opening her mouth too long. She is going to try bringing up the hell out of that issue.

"Issues? Hah! The stink of disloyalty may creep in as morale is tested, but it does not linger long in the face of our unwavering dedication to the Emperor. No, there are the more subtle smells to worry about. The smells of people, hard work, training. Sweat and blood and tears. The walls of the Crab are performing admirably in these times, but they are also being tested by the combined scents of a thousand new dedicated warriors!"

"Of course, they are doing well under the present circumstances. I saw no signs of spreading illness, surely a sign that the wall is holding. And there are far worse aromas. As a Unicorn, I can assure you that a horse which has proven itself through hours of dedicated work needs a much more thorough cleaning to reach acceptable levels. However, if the barracks cannot be expanded in size, they must be expanded in cleaning efforts. The facilities are not insufficient, but their maintenance must be adjusted to reflect our commmitment!"

I have Contrary and I haven't talked much.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi seeks lunch with The Saddest Asahina and tries to find discreet ways to ask about her illness, treatments, whether it's similar to Sukune's, what he's normally like, et cetera. Maybe questions about the Asahina that have nothing to do with sickness, even!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"Pity. I was hoping to learn more about this court. I am not yet used to it. ... Is something the matter?"

Investigation 4k3!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Natsumi

"Yes. Courts are... not my area of expertise. I'd like to know more. Of course, if I knew what to ask I wouldn't need to know more. Hmm..."

Mostly angling to see if The Saddest Asahina has any gossip that isn't depressing.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi waves it away. "I don't need lessons on etiquette and I'm not interested in gossip. I'm having trouble getting used to things, that's all. I was told it would be tedious, especially by Doji-san, but we've already had a curious new guest..."

"Do such things happen often or has the infrastructure debate been running smoothly?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi stays to enjoy the music, though she glances at the others in case their expressions or silent movements betray anything interesting.

Investigation 4k3!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi listens in on Masami for a while, then butts in.

"This is well outside my area of expertise, but I will do my best to investigate.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"If they are traitors, we do what we must," Natsumi says grudgingly. "What is it, Hayuma-san?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi leaves the shy Asahina to the others and decides to mingle with the courtiers she hasn't met yet, starting with the squat Yasuki.

Rolling Courtier to make some friends (Awareness 2k2), spending a void point to make it trained for another 1k0:

quote:

<+foxxbot> Ettin, 9 2
<+foxxbot> Ettin, 10

DICE EXPLOSION posted:

<+foxxbot> Ettin, 5

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"Really? I didn't think it happened often. Perhaps he was just surprised."

"Or perhaps he's interested in haikus more than infrastructure and sanitation," she muses. "I should ask him for a haiku on that."

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 29, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi waves it away. "I have no particular interest in a poetry contest anyway."

"Does Asako-san enjoy poetry too or is it just Doji-san? I was hoping to see some other entertainment soon..."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Once she has some alone time Natsumi gathers her scrolls and heads to the garden (or somewhere else private enough with water), intending to Commune with one of Kyuden Hida's elemental kami. She doesn't know much about Masami's plans, but...

Commune to call a Water spirit and ask two questions, with a raise for clarity! It's 4k3 5k3, so:
<+foxxbot> Ettin, 3 1 9 1
<foxxbot> Ettin, 3

If a kami is summoned: "Hello, honored spirit. Please, what can you tell me of the monk Jinmen? What does he gain from healing Sukune-san?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi decides to butt in again.

"Does it need to be either? Surely there's a neutral clan you would both accept a yojimbo from? Then Saito-san would have a yojimbo to fill in until his own arrives and Sukune-sama would have another good warrior to spare if he needs it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"Surely there's a suitable yojimbo somewhere here..." Natsumi says, mostly to herself. She looks around while people who know what they're talking about say things, in case such a suitable person appeared in the room while she wasn't looking.

Grabbed a Void and bumped some skills, rank 2!

• Locked thread