Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yes, there is entirely no practical difference between being a swordsman or a sorceror. That's mostly my way of sidestepping the issue of caster supremacy entirely, just by saying that yes, of course, anything you can do by magic is a thing you can also do by hitting it hard enough. This will probably cause the game to run a bit anime* but not in a bad way, I think.

I'm not really sure I'm going to go with no chance of failure at all if only because I personally have a lot more fun when things I didn't intend to happen come up, and that includes things going wrong. But I'm definitely for handwaving trivial stuff, and also for making it easy to be awesome. Also about rolling giant fistfuls of dice, because rolling giant fistfuls of dice is awesome.

*Actually now that I think about it, I'm probably taking a number of cues from Slayers here, I think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You missed my called shot bonus, which was in my second post.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Captain Hats posted:

Sawn-Off Shadowrun

Let's face it, having a team of an elf with machine gun arms, a troll who can vomit bolts of lightning at people and a plucky were-otter hacker being underground mercs in a world of 80s neon, rain slicked streets and strange and terrifying forces from a past best forgotten coming back? Pretty cool. What is NOT cool is digging through five different books to find a pistol, only to buy the first one you saw in the core rulebook anyway. Or having to crack open the hacking rules for the third time in the evening to see if you can crack into something or not. Or any of the other million little finnicky corner cases that comes up in a system as crunchy and bloated as Shadowrun.

There can be a better way.

The system can be trimmed, refined, honed down to a razor edge. No more scrambling through books for equipment, just build what you want a simple, flexible generator, then slap a corporate logo on it and give it a cool name. No more umming and ahhing over what race to pick because of wasted points. You want to be a Troll Face? Be a Troll Face and don't think about if you should have been an Elf for the increased charisma. No more thick, confusing and counter-intuitive hacking and magic rules, just chuck fireballs and hack cameras and don't worry about it. No more having 400 points to spend and every one of them counts on your character, character building can be done quickly and pain free.

The Sixth World has never been so easy. Just keep an eye out. It's no less dangerous.

You're promising me.... everything I want.

You hold my heart in your hands, sir. Please don't break it. :(

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The Shortening 2:Even shorter!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
A few more reviews. To the remaining 6, I love you all, but I am just a man who had to work late and can not look at such sites at work. I will finish by tomorrow.

Adventure Friends
Ad Blurb

Lighthearted language sell that this is a game for the younger set.

3 / 5

Outline

It’s a little short! You’ve got some bones to hang some things on, but I don’t know much about them. I’m more interested than the score would indicate, but I just don’t have a clear picture of this game of what each thing means. I look forward to seeing something amazing!

2 / 5

Bonus: Called Shot
Total 6 /10
Is it D&D: Maybe

Hellhole

Heavy on fluff, but a little light on explanations. I get the impression this is some sort of Shadowrun-esque game set in hell, but I’m not really sure. I’m interested, but not informed.

2 / 5

Outline

I like you concept, and I feel you have a roadmap for your game. Your mechanic is nice and explained (except for the mystery). This is another wait and see

3 / 5

Bonus: Nope
Total 5 / 10
Is it D&D: Nope

Houses & Hauntings

Ad blurb

This one is positively spooky. I like how you set the tone, childish, with a edge of danger. I get a sense of what to expect, and its fun.

4 / 5

Outline

I clearly get the combination of resource and risk management. You have your road map, and I have an idea of where your game is headed. It is a little short, and I look forward to a fuller explanation

3 / 5

Bonus: Dinosaur and Called Shot
Total 8 / 10, a bonus is earned
Is it D&D: This one is tricky, reserving judgement

Caverns and Wyrms

Ad blurb

A cool bit of game design and philosophy, but light on details.

3 / 5

Outline
You’ve got the players guide practically written already! This reads like a stripped down D&D, so congrats on hitting that goal. If I do have to say anything bad, it reads a bit dry, but this is fine for an outline.

5 / 5

Bonus: Quotes
Total: 9 / 10
Is it D&D: Yes

Empyrean

Punches me in the gut and gives me that sense of urgency right from the start. Finishes off with exactly what it does and why. Also I really like the formatting in the bottom section. If I’m reading this right, “• Fate smiles when only the players roll dice.” Combines two sentences into one, which is perfectly in the style of this competition

5 / 5

Outline

A noble set of goals and design philosophies. You’ve got a map, but you’re holding it close to your chest. I hope you can fit it all in, I’ll be looking forward to your next posting

3 /5

Total: 9 / 10
Is it D&D: More than Likely

Sawn-Off Shadowrun

Ad Blurb/Outline

This is is an exciting ad blurb or a super light on details ad blurb. You’re in the contest, but only because I found Girl Scout cookies waiting for me when I got home

Total: 4 / 5
Is this D&D: No

Dungeons, INC.

I did laugh out loud in the literal sense reading this ad blurb, which is a good thing. The flavor here is exceptional. Is that your art? Even if not, it is composed very well. You also feed me some mechanical info about your game. Perfect

5 / 5

Outline

I like everything I see here. Its funny but informative, mechanically robust, both tactically and narratively. You have a great block of marble you have to chip away at. I sincerely hope you succeed.

5 / 5
Bonus: Quote

Total: 11/ 10 a bonus and our first perfect score

RetrOS - 1(d)6-bit Adventures

Ad blurb
gently caress it, I’m in, lets do this.

4 / 5

Outline

You lay out your goals nicely and what you need to do to get there. I havn’t heard of anyone trying anything like this, so good luck. On the bad side, you're a little light on details on how you are going to do these things.

3 / 5

Bonus: Quote, Called Shot
Total: 8 / 10 a bonus is earned
Is it D&D: Maybe

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Would it be acceptable to include an introductory scenario or somesuch that does not contribute any rules of the game (and as such not counted toward the space limits), but can be used for playtesting?

The problem I am running in to is my game being suitably generic (a design goal) means it's difficult to provide concrete examples without taking up a lot of rules space. I can see first-time players possibly having an issue with how to proceed. I would love to be able to provide playtesters with a few example lists of elements - the equivalent of D&D character sheets - and an example scenario seed to get them started in the right direction.

If not, I can make it work.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gau posted:

Would it be acceptable to include an introductory scenario or somesuch that does not contribute any rules of the game (and as such not counted toward the space limits), but can be used for playtesting?

The problem I am running in to is my game being suitably generic (a design goal) means it's difficult to provide concrete examples without taking up a lot of rules space. I can see first-time players possibly having an issue with how to proceed. I would love to be able to provide playtesters with a few example lists of elements - the equivalent of D&D character sheets - and an example scenario seed to get them started in the right direction.

I'm in this same boat.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Thanks, Ulta. Ad Blurbs have never been a strong point for me. I'll be mulling that one over. Until then, here's my current draft (Put an updated version in new post)! I emailed the creator of that awesome dragon image (Sandara of sandara.net), and they gave me full permission to use if for this project, and even wished me luck! Still trying to figure out exactly how I want magic to work... And I agree that it all feels a bit dry (my jokes stink!). Also, I still have like a quarter page with formatting stripped, so I have a bit of room for more fluff. Still, I printed this thing out and it feels very satisfying so far, so even if I get nowhere else in this contest, thank you for giving me the motivation to create this thing.

Lastly, The Shortening 2:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Dammit Jim, Crisco is shortening!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
It might be tiny, but it is pretty verbose.

As for Base Circumstance, the outline is horrible, the ad is even worse (I realized at the last moment that this meant midnight GMT not Midnight Eastern or Pacific.), but I do have faith in the game. It's about halfway done at the moment.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Gentlemen.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Following the unprecedented worldwide popularity of MurderTM, and after a thoughtful and meticulous design and playtest process, I am proud to present MurderTM: 2nd Edition:

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!
Soiled Meat
Here's a game we all hate to play:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Error 404 posted:

I'm in this same boat.
It's a crowded boat, and we are far from land.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dire Human posted:

Gentlemen.

My god. The game I've always wanted in a format I can't read.

Keep up the hard work everyone, I want in on some playtests!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

If I somehow skipped you, yell at me, and I will make it all better.

Kobold Super Shortened Edition

Ad blurb

This one is a little too long. Granted, I am not thoroughly sold on playing a Kobold, but it was a bit of a journey to get there.
4 / 5

Outline

Just enough info. I understand your core mechanic, and how things work. Your game is about Kobolds eating babies. A couple of typos (unless Kobolds are tasty to everyone and everyone want to eat them, which would be a complete if comical reversal). You’ve got that map forward. Good luck!

4 / 5
Bonus: Didn’t see one
Total: 8 /10 a bonus!

D&D: Greatest Hits

Ad Blurb

This one is literally selling itself to me, and I’m in the mood for buying. Also a sprinkle of funny. It promises a lot, lets hope it can deliver.

5 / 5

Outline

Conversational style that guides me through your mechanics. I kind of feel like you’re going to say “Do you like these shoes? There yours. Now, what can I do to get you into this D&D?” You’ve got design goals, implementation details, and a roadmap laid out. I noticed a few typos, but nothing huge. I worry about space limitations, but if you can stuff it all in there, you’ll be a serious contender.

5 / 5
Bonus: Didn’t see any
Total: 10 /10. Bonus Earned

Heroes of the Fallen Lands

Ad blurb
Tones of Dark Souls in this one (this is a good thing). However feels super generic, and I’m not exactly excited by it.

2 / 5

Outline

Short. Design goals but no ideas on implementation. I like your commitment to uniqueness of monsters and weapons. Impress me next time.

2 / 5
Total: 4 / 10

Campfire

Ad blurb

For some reason I like and dislike this one simultaneously. I like that its ambitious. It promises a revolution. Campfire is a really good name, and you use that in the blurb. I like the permanence. Also good use of formatting. As for the dislike, I can’t really place it? Maybe its too smug? Eh...

4 / 5

Outline

Roadmap, check design philosophy, check, details of implementation. I like the boldness of using a whole page as a title. Lets see it

4 / 5
Bonus: Didn’t see one
Total : 8 / 10. A bonus is earned
Is it D&D: Probably

Base Circumstance

Ad blurb

Its confident, but not much stubstance

1/ 5

Outline

You’re really leaning heavily on Treasure Hunters here. Certainly I would never bring up my third place winning [url=”https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K08nb_dqo07FGz7VvXALl9MXrq36C48-0lOrpnsQmjk/edit#heading=h.7paetn4kg1y4%94]Jurasic Central Park [/url] in this contest. To an outsider it would be a bit bewildering, but I have read (and liked) Treasure Hunters. Lets see you do it again, but shorter.

4 / 5

Bonus: Called Shot, Dinosaur
Total: 5 / 10

Abomination

Ad Blurb
Grabs me at the beginning, sells me, and explains what it does

4 / 5

Outline

Man, I do love those weird narrative games with nontraditional player roles. Even the presentation format is different. You’ve got goals and roadmaps and I understand your mechanics. I’m interested in this one.

5 /5

Total 10 / 10. A Bonus is earned
Is it D&D: No

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ulta posted:

If I somehow skipped you, yell at me, and I will make it all better.

You missed my called shot!

I demand you go back in time and fix this grievous error.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Using two Time Energy, I have given you credit for the Called Shot. You already got a bonus point for dinosaur spotting, so your score remains 7. I will cackle maniacally now!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Gau posted:

Ulta, now that you're about, what do you think of this?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ulta posted:

Using two Time Energy, I have given you credit for the Called Shot. You already got a bonus point for dinosaur spotting, so your score remains 7. I will cackle maniacally now!

That's fine.

Except I go back in time to change my post to have a better Ad Blurb!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Gau posted:

Ulta, now that you're about, what do you think of this?

Basically this is how I'm going to handle it.

I can't (and don't really have the energy to) stop you from writing an intro scenario outside of your game. If you include an intro scenario, this will definitely score you points in the fluff and presentation portions of the playtest. If you don't, these scores may or may not suffer, as a intro scenario is not an explicitly required thing. I can't take into account any material not within your 4 pages in terms of judging. You will be allowed to playtest your own game, so take that into account also.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

The good news is, I've condensed the character creation, combat rules, and monster stats down to 2 pages!

The bad news is, there are so many line breaks and so much formatting making it look sensible that pasting it into Google Docs gives me 5 pages.

Son of a bitch, I've got some work cut out for me. "Looking Nice" might become a stretch goal.

Preview (NOT FINAL SUBMISSION): Dropbox Link to PDF. Any suggestions, fellow turbonerds?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

As I understand it, line breaks aren't counted in the "two pages" limit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ulta posted:

Aww dang, I knew I forgot something. Should have included a dinosaur pinata :(

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Dire Human posted:

The good news is, I've condensed the character creation, combat rules, and monster stats down to 2 pages!

The bad news is, there are so many line breaks and so much formatting making it look sensible that pasting it into Google Docs gives me 5 pages.

Son of a bitch, I've got some work cut out for me. "Looking Nice" might become a stretch goal.

Preview (NOT FINAL SUBMISSION): Dropbox Link to PDF. Any suggestions, fellow turbonerds?

I did a quick and dirty copy and paste into google docs, and stripped of formating and line breaks, you are just over two pages, so its not as bad as you think. That said, you do have some cutting to do.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Die Underground: Updated Rules
1. You Are Born:
Pick a cool name.
Choose an adjective to describe why your character is a good adventurer. ("Unkillable" characters often meet ironic fates, such as being buried alive, so don't be greedy).
Choose another to describe a weakness. (Perhaps "Greedy?")
These will be used to break ties; your adjective goes in your favor, your weakness goes against you.

Pick a crude archetype: Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Secretly Evil Cleric, Paladin, Special-Little-Snowflake.

Have a Dream: Your race does not effect play!

2. How You Die:
When you do something with potential danger, the rest of the group secretly votes on whether you succeed, fail, or partially succeed.

Each character starts with 3 overrides; they let you defy the odds and succeed, despite any potential backbiting. This too is secretly passed to the GM.

Being dead does not prevent you from voting on the success of others; vengeful spirits are powerful foes.

In your specialty best traits, Overrides count as +6* Succeeds. In things you aren't deficient in, they're +3**. In what you're bad at, they're a mere +1 (as if you voted for yourself).

Resolve as logical: You are either FINE (continue play), BANGED UP (-1 to future attempts), stacks with itself) DYING (3 banged up conditions or one huge failure) or DEAD (sorry!)

Consuming a health potion will bring you one step back; DYING to BANGED UP, BANGED UP to FINE. Health potions are only found in quantities of Party Size -1, but you can drink as many as you'd like in a row.

*In a group of more than 5, an override is Group Size +1.
**In a group of more than 5, overrides are (1/2)size of group,+1.

TREASURE: Winner is rich.

3.WHEN YOU DIE: You get to be a rat bastard. Suggest to the DM what might be forgotten about the dungeon, how the others' wounds will betray them, or how a ochre jelly could slip through the cracks of the Stone Room.

EXAMPLE OF PLAY:
Twitch is trying to steal a new torch from a statue's hand. He's a QUICK HANDED (adjective) THIEF, but he's BANGED UP from some orcs. This is right in his wheelhouse. However, he just pissed off the group by tossing Friar Oturo into a pit, so he knows they'll vote against him.

The group is made up of four living adventurers, but FRIAR OTORU still gets to vote.

Everyone but Twitch votes secretly (three votes to fail completely; one vote to succeed partially, from the Fighter Twitch saved a few rooms back).
Twitch, not wanting to gently caress this up, uses his last Override. The vote passes with a full succeed.

He grabs the torch easily, but they still haven't reached the heart of the dungeon...

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Edit: On second thought, I want to clear it with mods first beforehand.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Sawn-Off Shadowrun: Core system

I've got a hefty to do list and I've already used up 1 page of unformatted google docs, I forsee some trimming once I've got everything drafted. Still, I'm feeling pretty good about what I've got down so far. I'd really appreciate some advice though, I've never done one of these contests before.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

I'd be happy to take a look at your draft but I can't seem to access it -- did you set the share button to 'Everyone with the Link'? or is this just a problem on my end?

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF

DirkGently posted:

I'd be happy to take a look at your draft but I can't seem to access it -- did you set the share button to 'Everyone with the Link'? or is this just a problem on my end?

Doy, sorry. Fixed now.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Posting this now that I've gotten the A-okay from a trad games moderator:

Special art commission offer for Feb Design Contest goons!

I'm available for cheap super-fast commissions of black line sketches to pretty up your designs! The prices for small sketches (think D&D module art) range around 3-10 dollars. (I.E. A drawing of a particular creature, a trap, a player encountering a strange thing, a pretty little design of a deity's logo, a drawing of a puzzle code component, etc.)

I can also do colored art, and 'cover' illustrations. Also, if you need a whole bunch of drawings, we can work out some kind of bulk discount deal. ;)

I have been wanting to do something like this for a while, and it will be a huge blast I'm sure. I have been doing several commissions for goons lately, and only recently got into more fantasy RPG-ish stuff, with this GW2/KOTOR crossover drawing:

Check out my SA-Mart thread for details: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531080

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

What's the best way of laying something out like this? I've rigged something up in GIMP, but that'll mean the end result is a 'picture' rather than a 'document'. Any free programs that might be better for this kind of thing?

Are you a rad enough dude to share the tricks of the RPG trade?!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Captain_Indigo posted:

What's the best way of laying something out like this? I've rigged something up in GIMP, but that'll mean the end result is a 'picture' rather than a 'document'. Any free programs that might be better for this kind of thing?

You could "print" it into a pdf. I'm ok with an image though.

Edit: Had to get in on the action

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Ulta,

Are you using the default spacing on Google Drive of 1.15 or 1.0 for the total text? Also, Letter or A4?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

Ulta,

Are you using the default spacing on Google Drive of 1.15 or 1.0 for the total text? Also, Letter or A4?

Single space, so 1.0 (which is not the default for Google Drive). A4 paper.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

Captain_Indigo posted:

If you feel like getting into some serious textual editing... I use Scribus for layouts. It is pretty much a cantankerous cousin of InDesign, but it does the job -- although even there you are printing out as a PDF (which GIMP can do, I think).

If it has to be a document, you would also be surprised how much you can get done using text and image frames in Open Office.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Here's my entry for Shortening 2: Even Shorter

Yes, this has been playtested. We don't talk about that Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k

Gau posted:

Well, Dyson's tiles are included in Dave's mapper ;)

Actually, my mapper was originally based on the 1km1kt mapper that Rob made, so they're kind of one in the same.