Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I had a weird half-dream for a really minimalistic game as I was falling asleep this morning, if I can remember it I will get in on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Swordsmen and Sorcerers
A game of going into a dungeon and leaving a smoking hole in the ground behind you.

In Swordsmen and Sorcerers, there are three constants: swordsmen, sorcerers, and kicking the door in. Swordsmen solve problems by hitting things, sorcerers solve problems by casting spells at them, and if a door that's still attached to its hinges just isn't open.

A generally freeform game, Swordsmen and Sorcerers requires at least two people, but the more the merrier. You declare how you're going to solve the problem at hand, be it a horde of goblins, a wagon that's missing a wheel, or a closed door, and the game master evaluates how many times more impressive it is than kicking a door in. That's how many dice you roll to see how well you do it. If it's equal to or less impressive than kicking a door in, no need to roll, just go right ahead and do it!

A swordsman works by using his sword and his muscles. There's no problem he can't solve by hitting it hard enough or in the right way. The only swordsman who's not as versatile as a sorcerer just isn't being creative enough!

A sorcerer works by using his mind as his magic. Any problem he runs into can be solved by casting a powerful enough spell. The only sorcerer who's weaker than a swordsman is one who's not using his spells right!

Example:
GM: "The dungeon room is ten feet by ten feet, all grey stone. The shards of the door you entered by are still falling to the ground behind you. There's another door on the opposite wall."

A swordsman: "I walk up to the door and rear back, giving the door a serious roundhouse kick."

GM: "The door shatters under the force of your kick, sending splinters flying everywhere. On the other side, you see..."

-or-

A sorcerer: "I shoot lightning bolts of all different colours from my hands at the door."

GM: "A thunderclap cracks in your ears as the door explodes into pieces flying everywhere, leaving just the scent of ozone behind. On the other side, you see..."

e: I will be playing for the Winnipeg Humane Society who are Canadian but otherwise reputable. They are my local humane society, and while they are not no-kill, they do their very best and last I heard they didn't need to put down any dogs at all. Cats are another story, but there's that many more of them. They are good people and they need more support, their emergency line only runs until 11:30 pm. :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yes, there is entirely no practical difference between being a swordsman or a sorceror. That's mostly my way of sidestepping the issue of caster supremacy entirely, just by saying that yes, of course, anything you can do by magic is a thing you can also do by hitting it hard enough. This will probably cause the game to run a bit anime* but not in a bad way, I think.

I'm not really sure I'm going to go with no chance of failure at all if only because I personally have a lot more fun when things I didn't intend to happen come up, and that includes things going wrong. But I'm definitely for handwaving trivial stuff, and also for making it easy to be awesome. Also about rolling giant fistfuls of dice, because rolling giant fistfuls of dice is awesome.

*Actually now that I think about it, I'm probably taking a number of cues from Slayers here, I think...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That is my ultracondensation for Swordsmen and Sorcerers.

This is my unformatted size document.

This is my spaced copy of the rules. Plain text format, so prepare to need to copy to something with word wrap. Chrome word wraps though. Yay!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm starting a new job tomorrow so I won't have a real idea as to my schedule for the rest of the month until then, but tomorrow eveningish I'll probably start looking for dudes to play some s&s on IRC soon.

IRC since I don't have a physical group and it'll also give a decent record of how the session goes.

Also I am reasonably confident that the art I have coming for this game will be objectively better than everyone else's.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ugh I have no idea how I'm going to fit a playtest in, if I wasn't still training I could haul a laptop to work and do it that way but since right now I need to pay attention I can't manage more than a phone.

I guess I'll slap up a quick recruit this evening and do my best to get as much possible done in pbp in time. Fortunately the structure of the game is intended to work well in that medium but aaagh.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MadRhetoric posted:

This is my official entry for the February 17th deadline

(click me)

Shoutouts to Google Drive not anti-aliasing images.

I don't need one hundred words to write like a drunken modernist. Tiny Little Hemmingways the hard way: The boss awaits. The stage is set. Another incident.

If anybody's willing to playtest with me tomorrow, I'll submit this for the early turn-in. Show up in #badwrongfun or something.

Depending on what time you're looking for it, I'll probably be game for it. /msg me or something. If yours goes quickly, maybe people'd be interested in a quick crawl of S&S afterwards.

Idiot me just realized this is a long weekend for me. I'm not used to getting those...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm still waiting on graphics so the visual look isn't all here yet, but I've at least given this an editing pass and moved it out of plain text. No rules changes since I haven't found time to haul people in for a playtest-- and yeah I will just ambush people on IRC at some point I am busy lately but I am sure I can get a couple hours in.

Anyway, since this has more reduction in text than additions from last time I won't bother with another text length doc at this point of it.

Here is the present draft of the Swordsmen and Sorcerers rules.

Swordsmen And Sorcerers (the story) (100 words exactly)

The muscle-bound swordsman Ragnar strode manfully into the depths of the abandoned dungeon, followed closely by the wizard Destructo the Magnificent. There was gold in these ruins, and they meant to claim it!

Destructo waved his hands, creating light and revealing a sturdy iron-bound door. "There's orcs back there, Ragnar," he said. "Are you ready?"

"Ragnar was born ready!" declared the swordsman. He reared back, then delivered a powerful roundhouse kick to the door. Wood and iron squealed in protest before twisting and shattering, sending splinters of wood flying into the faces of the orcish hordes gibbering in wait beyond.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Reene posted:

In penance for skipping out I will offer myself up as a playtester as well during this week if anyone needs a warm body and occasional pictures of cats.

Perfect, I will hit you up in a day or two, your hours work good for me. :toot:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Final draft of Swordsmen and Sorcerers.

Playtest log!

Length doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

So I'm going to hang out in #playtest on synirc with a dicebot if anyone with a couple hours wants to show up either today or tomorrow for some SWORDSMEN AND SORCERERS that would be cool.

e: come play now we have an elfbot!!!

ee: and done! Thanks, ridley, unzealous, and ximenez!