Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Die Underground.

quote:

I was a little nervous. I had a bodyguard for a while.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Sofia_Dungeon.jpg
Coravan was the first to go, a joke of a fighter, a joke of a man. It was if he hadn't even seen the pit trap after the third left turn.

Kartani'ey was trickier, as elves have keen senses. It was a shame the cave troll heard her; so much for her silence.

Sir Pelawar, wise as his ancestors, could either confront me or save a maiden; he chose well, but the maiden didn't exist.
He can live underground as long as his deity abets him; or until the goblins come back.

I should probably contact their Chieftain...

---

Everything changed when Goriblad Tonk ascended, alone, from the Cave of Torments. People could say what they wanted, but he was rich; four times rich.

And they say he adventures still, sending associates to drink at inns the world over.

But it's not like dungeons were safe in the first place.

And there's no way he's still alive, is there?

---

Die Underground is the natural progression of a dungeon based economy. The people who would root through the belongings of the dead weren't very trustworthy in the first place, and they don't share.

As players adventure, they will encounter opportunities for betrayal. Not all adventures must be underground, but being miles beneath the Earth is a golden opportunity for betrayal, isn't it? Perhaps you'll have your cohorts framed for murder. Perhaps they'll be crushed by rocks, declared enemies of the faith, or butchered then sold for kobold toys.

As players are eliminated, they can activate their contigencies; secret traps, tricks, and alliances they made in case their teammates were disloyal.

The game is influenced by Paranoia, Fiasco, and Dungeon World.
WHO WILL LIVE TO BECOME RICHER THAN THEY'D EVER IMAGINED?
WHO WILL DIE UNDERGROUND?

Prize recipient: 50 bucks to Kiva.

Outline
Everyone who goes underground has a class, a race, and a gender.

Class: Stabber, Spellman (or Spellwoman), Sneaker, Psalmer, Inexplicable Eastern Hero, Singer. List three specialties of your class: when resolving ties, you win at your specialty (in the order listed here).
For example: Janet is playing Klorg, a stabber. She tries to stab Eric's Spellman right through his spell book. Eric tries to contend it; they both roll an 8. Klorg sticks his mighty blade through Eric's hands, covering the spellbook with blood!

Choose a race by combining a size, a lifespan, and a Societal Background.
Sizes: Short, Average, Hulking. Short is anything from 2' to 4.5'; average between 4.6' and 6'11; hulking is 7' and larger.
Short gives you +1 to agile or trust inspiring, -1 to strong or tough.
Average is +2 to your choice of stats, divided as you'd like, -3 to your choices, divided as you'd like.
Hulking: +2 to Strong and Tough. -2 to Agile and either Trust-Inspiring or Cunning.
Lifespan: Dozens of years, hundreds of years, thousands of years. These are just for show: You are going to die in this dungeon.
Societal Background: Civil, Tribal, Wild. Civil is +1 to trust inspiring, -1 to alert. Tribal is +1 to alert, -1 to Trust-Inspiring. Wild is +1 to Strong or Cunning, -1 to either or Strong or Cunning. (These can cancel each other out).

Choose your best trait and take +1 in it. These are the games statistics.
You are: Cunning, Strong, Tough, Agile, Alert, Trust-Inspiring.
Choose your worst trait.
You are: Idiotic, Weak, Sickly, Slow, Unobservant, Obnoxious. Take a -1 to the relevant equivalent. (They are in order, above).

Choose a prized position: A weapon, a shield, armor, a magical device such as a spellbook, a symbol of your God. Your item gives you +1 to checks with a stat of your choice. Your prized possession cannot directly your death. Your sword will not cut off your own arms; your armor won't cause you to sink in quicksand. (It won't prevent it, however.)

Deciding environmental challenges
Oppose the environment with Strength, Cunning, Toughness, Agility, Alertness, or Inspiring Trust. Roll 2d6 and add your value. If it's something your class would succeed in normally,

Combat
Create a deck of cards labeled between 1 and 1+total number of players and monsters. At the beginning of combat, everyone takes one. That's your initiative.

Combat is an environmental challenge. Everyone starts with 8+Tough HP and deals 1d4+Strength or +Cunning HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Huh. Creating an entire gaming system is quite difficult. I think I will add elements of Cash N' Guns to combat resolution. It should be bloodier.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Glad to be liked!

I think I'm going to go with a Tribal Council style of gameplay, based on attrition.

When you do something with potential danger, the group secretly votes on whether you succeed fully, fail, or partially succeed.

Each character start with a certain number of "Overrides" (I'm thinking three) where they can defy the odds and succeed, despite any potential backbiting. This too is secretly passed to the GM.

Being dead does not prevent you from voting on the success of others; vengeful spirits are, after all, the trickiest.

In your specialties/racial classes/best traits, Overrides count as +6 Full Passes. In things you aren't deficient in, they're +3*. In what you're bad at, they're a mere +1 (as if you voted for yourself).

*There will be a sliding scale based on group size.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Die Underground: Updated Rules
1. You Are Born:
Pick a cool name.
Choose an adjective to describe why your character is a good adventurer. ("Unkillable" characters often meet ironic fates, such as being buried alive, so don't be greedy).
Choose another to describe a weakness. (Perhaps "Greedy?")
These will be used to break ties; your adjective goes in your favor, your weakness goes against you.

Pick a crude archetype: Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Secretly Evil Cleric, Paladin, Special-Little-Snowflake.

Have a Dream: Your race does not effect play!

2. How You Die:
When you do something with potential danger, the rest of the group secretly votes on whether you succeed, fail, or partially succeed.

Each character starts with 3 overrides; they let you defy the odds and succeed, despite any potential backbiting. This too is secretly passed to the GM.

Being dead does not prevent you from voting on the success of others; vengeful spirits are powerful foes.

In your specialty best traits, Overrides count as +6* Succeeds. In things you aren't deficient in, they're +3**. In what you're bad at, they're a mere +1 (as if you voted for yourself).

Resolve as logical: You are either FINE (continue play), BANGED UP (-1 to future attempts), stacks with itself) DYING (3 banged up conditions or one huge failure) or DEAD (sorry!)

Consuming a health potion will bring you one step back; DYING to BANGED UP, BANGED UP to FINE. Health potions are only found in quantities of Party Size -1, but you can drink as many as you'd like in a row.

*In a group of more than 5, an override is Group Size +1.
**In a group of more than 5, overrides are (1/2)size of group,+1.

TREASURE: Winner is rich.

3.WHEN YOU DIE: You get to be a rat bastard. Suggest to the DM what might be forgotten about the dungeon, how the others' wounds will betray them, or how a ochre jelly could slip through the cracks of the Stone Room.

EXAMPLE OF PLAY:
Twitch is trying to steal a new torch from a statue's hand. He's a QUICK HANDED (adjective) THIEF, but he's BANGED UP from some orcs. This is right in his wheelhouse. However, he just pissed off the group by tossing Friar Oturo into a pit, so he knows they'll vote against him.

The group is made up of four living adventurers, but FRIAR OTORU still gets to vote.

Everyone but Twitch votes secretly (three votes to fail completely; one vote to succeed partially, from the Fighter Twitch saved a few rooms back).
Twitch, not wanting to gently caress this up, uses his last Override. The vote passes with a full succeed.

He grabs the torch easily, but they still haven't reached the heart of the dungeon...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

#2 - Short Story based on Die Underground

In death, I am a graveyard.
My legend feeds the grass.

The dead bring their beloved.
Curses can be blessings. Tombs, kingdoms.

Be still, my silent heart.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

My game was complete as of second posting as well. I won't say it's a medalist, but I made it to the end of the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Anyone free to playtest something tonight? Maybe 3-4 players to give Die Underground a spin. Enter the HEARTH OF THE DREAD KING ! Driven underground by supreme wealth and even more supreme agoraphobia, nobody's seen this guy for 30 years.

Which means his loot is fit for the taking.