Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Count me in - I've got an idea based on an old Pathfinder character of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Ad Blurb posted:

There are two kinds of people in Gyraxia - mages, and commoners. To become a mage, a Sigil of Loyalty is required, with years of training in schools approved by the Gyraxian Association of Mages (GAM). Even then, only a quarter of all applicants make it through, and the majority already have connections within GAM. Sadly, most attempt it without knowing the full consequences - no one with a Sigil of Loyalty may attack or oppose GAM. They can easily be tracked and spied on as well, giving GAM almost complete dominance.

There is only one threat to GAM's tyrannical rule over Gyraxia. Those who believe that magic, and people, should be free to live and grow as they desire; who oppose haughty governmental control. They are Virtuemancers, and they are GAM’s worst fear.

Virtuemancers fight to protect the oldest (and possibly most powerful) form of magic to ever exist. Virtuemancers take the pieces of magic around and inside of them to make spells on the fly, spells powered by their hearts and souls. fight to protect the oldest (and possibly most powerful) form of magic to ever exist.

Take on the role of a Virtuemancer. Use your heart-fueled spells to fight GAM, and free Gyraxia before it’s too late!

I'm submitting Virtuemancy, it's inspired by a Magus I made for a now defunct Pathfinder game. She used Words of Power and believed the Mages Guild was evil in it's rigorous control of magic.

It's based on a hacked version of the Storyteller System, and uses a flexible magic system based on Words of Power from Pathfinder. Here's both the Ad Copy and what I have of the Outline so far. Not too much in terms of fluff, but it's going to be fleshed out much more in the week to come.

I'm going the charity route, and would like it to go towards SafePlace. They're a group in Austin that provides shelter, protection, food, and care for victims of domestic abuse.

Edit: forgot to mention the game's name and what prize I'm going for.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, here's my rough draft for Stage Two, and here's a layout of all the words strung together in Google Drive to see just how long the whole thing looks in terms of the limitations of the rules. I'm a little over the word count where we stand now, but I'll be refining it and pruning over the next week.

I'd rather have to cut something out than add a slew of new things in.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Ulta posted:

There might have been some confusion. You have approx 27 hours from now for the next deadline. Every deadline (except the very last) is on a Sunday at 7pm EST

I'm also in the "wanted to make sure I got it in early" boat. I'll be editing it a little further before the deadline.

As for the bonus mission...

quote:

While on the way to work one day this week, I decide to stop by GameStop to pick up a copy of the new Fire Emblem game. Entering the shop, the place is pretty packed for a weekday morning. After waiting in line for a little bit, I get up to the counter. The employee seemed like she was hobbling, but still had a smile and was very friendly.

She offers to go to the back and see if the shipment had come in, and starts limping toward the back door. I finally asked what was wrong (since I could tell that something was definitely up).

"Oh, I was in a car accident last year. It left me with some soft tissue damage, which I have pain meds for, but I haven't been able to take it: I need to eat something when I take the pill," was what she mentioned as she slipped to the back.

I didn't get the game till later that day, but I did talk to the people at the Little Caesar's next door and ordered her a pizza and bottle of water, which they agreed to deliver.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

:siren:Official Feburary 10th Stage 2 Submission:siren:
And having to call in sick has it's uses, as I have an even better rough draft and word count posted up!

Thanks go to lord_daeloth for pointing out that Google Drive defaults to 1.15 line spacing, because it's bought me over half a page to still throw more stuff in!

I'm pretty happy with the way the rules look right now, and I'm going to spend the next week formatting and tweaking the rules a little. I'll be adding Notecard sized character sheets and some sort of logo. Playtesting will begin either this Thursday or next, whenever I feel the rules are ready to test.

To make it easier to grade, here's the two Stage Two bonus missions I completed:
1. Passing It On

quote:

While on the way to work one day this week, I decide to stop by GameStop to pick up a copy of the new Fire Emblem game. Entering the shop, the place is pretty packed for a weekday morning. After waiting in line for a little bit, I get up to the counter. The employee seemed like she was hobbling, but still had a smile and was very friendly.

She offers to go to the back and see if the shipment had come in, and starts limping toward the back door. I finally asked what was wrong (since I could tell that something was definitely up).

"Oh, I was in a car accident last year. It left me with some soft tissue damage, which I have pain meds for, but I haven't been able to take it: I need to eat something when I take the pill," was what she mentioned as she slipped to the back.

When I left the store, I went to talk to the people at the Little Caesar's next door and ordered her a pizza and bottle of water, which they agreed to deliver as soon as it was ready.

2. The Shortening 2 - Electric Boogaloo
A short RPG about everyone's favorite LPer!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

If such a situation ever came up, it'd be down to democratic vote and/or basic politeness? But it's more about not getting whomped by monsters first in surprise attacks.

If that's the case, you could have players win ties, with players who are tied rolling off.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Here's my 100-word short story: it's the back story for an NPC I'm making for a play test scenario.

quote:

When I Awoke

In my youth, I had an incurable remnant of The Calamity called "The Shriveling". At 15, GAMi quarantined me. I could only watch as those who would be my friends played outside through the small window in my "cell".

I was asleep, in a nightmare that I called my hopeless life.

Right before I gave in and quit, a voice spoke through the nightmare.

Why quit? With Hope, you can overcome any obstacle!

That was when I woke up.

I am Basco Jacobs, Virtuemancer of Swolcery, and I fight to keep the Hope of Gyraxia alive!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Hey Ulta, are character sheets still considered pictures if they contain sparse words that have been used previously in the rules text? Mine would look like this, and it's the size of a coaster.

Character Sheet posted:

Name

Strength
Dexterity
Perception
Wits

Valor
Compassion
Conviction
Temperance

Spellpath
[Space to fill in the Details]
Will Pool

Skills
[Space for their Motivation]

If I had an artist draw something cool, the size of a coaster and with just this text (aside from bracketed text), would this count as a picture?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, brace yourself for a wall of text, because...
:siren:This is my official Feb. 17 Stage 3 Submission & Playtest!:siren:

I've hit a small snag in the art department - I've commissioned some friends for some art, but they won't have it ready until the Stage 4 date at the earliest.

The rules are done, and I've thrown some temporary art in it's place, but I'll be throwing the final PDF up in the Virtuemancy Google Drive Folder when it's completed.

Here's the credits for the Creative Commons art I used in the meantime (including links to where I found it)

Art Attribution posted:

Cover: The Wizard Artwork by Sean McGrath

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Wizard.jpg

Page 2: Concept-art done for Sintel, 3rd open-movie of the Blender Foundation. Artwork by David Revoy

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Environments-17-Ishtar-door.png

Here's the Final, Pre-Art, version of Virtuemancy
Here's the Word Count I didn't count the game's name on the cover since it's a part of the cover and not the rules text that comprises the other three pages. Same goes for the character sheet on p. 3.

The playtest went amazingly well - I ran it with some of my players from my Exalted 2e campaigns, and the resounding agreement was that they liked it better than Exalted!

It's a log, as all of my audio recording technology was out of power, but here it is.

Also, here's a copy of my Tiny Little Hemmingways story:

TheSoundNinja posted:

When I Awoke

In my youth, I had an incurable remnant of [color=red]The Calamity[/color] called "The Shriveling". At 15, GAMi quarantined me. I could only watch as those who would be my friends played outside through the small window in my "cell".

I was asleep, in a nightmare that I called my hopeless life.

Right before I gave in and quit, a voice spoke through the nightmare.

Why quit? With Hope, you can overcome any obstacle!

That was when I woke up.

I am Basco Jacobs, Virtuemancer of Swolcery, and I fight to keep the Hope of Gyraxia alive!

Edit: I have completed compiling our notes on the playtest session into something legible. Work will be fun, as I'll be downing enough tea to keep a group of old quilters up for a week.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Captain Hats posted:

I'm going to have to bow out of this I'm afraid. Last week some personal issues came up and I haven't been able to focus on much of anything, let alone rewriting shadowrun. Good luck to everyone else though.

I hope things get better for you then. PM me and let me know if you go back and finish Sawed-Off Shadowrun - it sounded interesting.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

I'm up for playtesting someone else's game, since mine is done. Who would be interested?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Minutia posted:

TheSoundNinja, I love the flavor of Virtuemancy, and I'm going to be reading through your playtest once I have time. The Sigils of Loyalty are really cool, and add an interesting scifi dystopia twist to your fantasy setting. What do they look like?

Well, a friend of mine is working on the design (to make it look cooler) but it's a runic looking. A circle with an "X" in the middle, with a lock in the center. Make it more abstract, and bingo!

Bonus points if you can figure out which of White Wolf's games it's from.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Hey, if one was interested, are there any websites that let you sell PDFs for donation? Like Bandcamp (where you pay what you feel the music is worth), but for books?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, due to needing to head to Colorado, here's...
:siren:My Final Submission to This Most Righteous Contest!:siren:

I helped playtest Caverns and Wyrms, and I really hope those chatlogs survive because it was a lot of fun - I can't wait to see the finished product with lord_daeloth's final tweaks.

Here's the final rulebook (Click on The Resistance's Symbol to go to it):

Word Count Here

Playtest Summary Here

And In Case of Sleep-Deprevation Related Stupidity, the whole drat Google Drive folder is here.

Since it was asked, here's what the final Sigil of Loyalty looks like:

Alright, I'm hitting the road. Best of luck to those of you who are still slavin' away at your computers and gaming tables!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Ulta posted:

Less than 24 hours remain!!

These are the games I currently see as having been playtested
TheSoundNinja's Virtuemancy
Captain_Indigo'sSaffron
Minutia's Dungeons & Dragons: Core
Alien Rope Burn's Houses and Haunting (by Minutia)
mepstein73's Kobolds: Super Short
Error 404's Tellurian
Cardinal Ximenez's RoboSaur: The Time War

Also lord_daeloth did a playtest and it might have disappeared into the aether, but I await summary/comments

Hey, if I helped to playtest as a player but didn't actually run the game, do I count as having playtested someone else's game?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, so here's the deal: I'm currently a guest at a con in Denver, CO; and I'm willing to playtest your game!

I'm talking to you, contestant who hasn't had their game playtested yet! You have until 12 AM (Central) Saturday morning to tell me, and I only have time to playtest one system so it's reserved for those who haven't found any other way to get it tested.

I'll be running it on Saturday during the day, so I can have the report posted in time for the new deadline. Hit me up and let me know either by PM or by email at kubukunthesoundninja@ some sort of Mail-based Google and let me know!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, someone's claimed the playtest slot: I'll be running UnCO3's Abomination Saturday afternoon.

I'll post the log in my Google Drive, and pop a link here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Congrats to Captain_Indigo and DirkGently for their awesome games and winning the contest!

As usual, I have a few people to thank for their help with Virtuemancy:
•Acervus (Sign of the Rebellion, Playtester)
•Kendall Stovall (Playtester)
•Adam Campaneria (Playtester)
•Dee Reynolds (Playtester)
•Danno! (Sigil of Loyalty)

Now to work on a revised version - Magicians RPG and Mystical Empyrean have given me some interesting ideas I want to try and incorporate, and I want to make a 3-page cover (since the majority of the rules fit on 3 pages, they could make a GM screen).

Ulta: could you PM me what you thought of Virtuemancy? I'd like to use it to help me tighten it up.