Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Would providing a character sheet count towards the page limit, assuming it does not express any information not already expressed in the rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
D&D: Greatest Hits

For almost 40 years, through thick and thin, D&D has been there, providing good times for you and your friends. There’ve been a lot of great, bestselling releases over the years, and now, for the first time, all those greatest hits, plus some new surprises, are available in one convenient package!

In this four page compact set, you’ll get:

• Those golden oldie classes: the Fighter, the Cleric, and the Mage
  • The well-known ability scores, in their lesser-known original format
  • Balanced, varied, but simple character creation and advancement
  • Tactical, role-based combat
  • All you need to fight monsters, from Kobolds to Dragons
  • Robust encounter building guidelines
  • Halflings riding dinosaurs!
  • Warforged... forging war!
  • And much, much more!

And, as a special bonus, we’re also throwing in non-weapon proficiencies and kits, remixed, relabeled and digitally remastered for the 21st century!

Order now, and you’ll get all this, in an easily printed, transported, and used format, and you’ll be all set to relive those great memories from the past 40 years, and make some new ones to last you the next 40!

Outline

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

First Milestone

It's very incomplete, but should give some sense of where I'm going. I was very busy this week, but will have a lot more time this coming week. I am concerned about the text limit. Not sure if I'll be able to put everything I wanted to put in, and what I do put in will probably be very dry, with little besides mechanics.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
D&D: Greatest hits

Rules/character sheets

Text length proof
Hopefully I did the length right; it's a little ambiguous in my game what is rules, and what is "character sheet counting as image". I have literally a few words to spare on text length.

I definitely underestimated how much text I'd need, so I had to strip out a lot of what I'd originally outlined. In particular Specializations (out entirely) and Skills (now a much simpler version). I think it does the core of what I was trying to do, which was condensed a 4E-style game, but "Greatest Hits" is probably a misnomer now, considering how little there is from older editions.

As I suspected would be the case, I didn't have any room for much of any fluff at all, so it's a pretty dry expression of mechanics.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also, what's the due date for playtests? I assume it's the end of the month, but I couldn't find it stated clearly anywhere.

Here it is:

Ulta posted:

6. The format of the contest should be familiar to you all now. Outlines will be due Feb. 3 at Midnight GMT. Part 1 will be done Feb 10th Midnight GMT, Part 2 will be due the 17th Midnight GMT, and the final play test must be in by Feb 28th Midnight GMT

Question for Ulta: I plan to do an audio recording of my playtesting session, and I'd rather not post it publicly. Is there a good way for me to send it to you short of buying the Platinum Upgrade for PMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Here's the final version. Text length doc.

I playtested with my regular game group. I've sent an audio recording to Ulta for full review, but to summarize, I think it went pretty well. Damage and HP seemed to be balanced about right, the players had significant tactical choices to make during combat, but combats were still quite fast, ability checks worked well enough for non-combat stuff, and everyone had fun with it. I think it definitely played like a boiled down 4E, which is mainly what I was going for.