Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
"[Gary and I] had fun. A lot of fun." - Dave Arneson

Arneson was the first to introduce the group to a fantasy setting, telling his friends to imagine that he had disappeared on a flight from Norway to the United States, returning from a family visit. The friends play-acted a scenario where they flew out to search for him. They found a cave in Iceland, entered — and on the other side was the land where Dungeons & Dragons was born.

Play is part of what makes us human. Play allows us to explore parts of ourselves and our world that we wouldn't otherwise get to experience. The brightest good and the deepest evil, the bluest skies and greenest vistas; play takes us to the limits of our imagination. It's time to test those limits again.

Open World reduces the existing *World mechanics to their bare bones: a concise framework of moves and mechanics that take the notions presented by Baker to their logical conclusion: a game that forgoes gaming for a narrative experience.

Play like you used to - in an Open World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I see someone else has discovered the old-school joy that is Dave's Mapper.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Well, Dyson's tiles are included in Dave's mapper ;)

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

This is my official entry for the 3 February deadline.

Threw an outline together for Open World. I'm liking how it's shaping up - somewhere between Apocalypse World and Fiasco.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Would it be acceptable to include an introductory scenario or somesuch that does not contribute any rules of the game (and as such not counted toward the space limits), but can be used for playtesting?

The problem I am running in to is my game being suitably generic (a design goal) means it's difficult to provide concrete examples without taking up a lot of rules space. I can see first-time players possibly having an issue with how to proceed. I would love to be able to provide playtesters with a few example lists of elements - the equivalent of D&D character sheets - and an example scenario seed to get them started in the right direction.

If not, I can make it work.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Gau posted:

Would it be acceptable to include an introductory scenario or somesuch that does not contribute any rules of the game (and as such not counted toward the space limits), but can be used for playtesting?

The problem I am running in to is my game being suitably generic (a design goal) means it's difficult to provide concrete examples without taking up a lot of rules space. I can see first-time players possibly having an issue with how to proceed. I would love to be able to provide playtesters with a few example lists of elements - the equivalent of D&D character sheets - and an example scenario seed to get them started in the right direction.

If not, I can make it work.

Ulta, now that you're about, what do you think of this?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

As I understand it, line breaks aren't counted in the "two pages" limit.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

This is my official show of progress for the 10 February deadline.

Click for the first full draft of the rules. Here is my proof of length (coming in a few lines over) and the original blurb and quote post.

I would appreciate any feedback; the game is playable as is, but obviously needs some work.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

DirkGently posted:

Google docs may be screwing up for me (if so, disregard this), but your proof of length comes out as a couple of lines over the 2 page limit and your full draft us waaaay over the 4 page limit (unless you are planning on each page fitting on something smaller than a notecard). In both cases, I don't think that it would be too difficult to trim them down (only a few lines for the proof of length and mostly a font/formatting change for the full document). Your game looks pretty awesome -- I just wanted to make sure that you don't run afoul of the rules!

No, you're right. I conflated two different things in the length limitations, so I need to cut a bit. That's totally doable.

The pages are A6 note cards, 4 to an A4 page, which make give me an allotment of 16 "pages" in actual pagespace.

And thanks, I think it's gonna be really fun!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

This is my official entry for the 17 February deadline.

Here is openWorld version 0.2. Minor revisions and took out a redundant move (Obtain is pretty much just a specific instance of Hustle). I'm pretty proud of it, but we'll see how playtesting with goons bears out. I'm going to throw together a three-page layout of the rules later this week, as I think that might be easier to read. This layout was much easier to write for.

Here is my proof of shortness. Once the contest is over, I will probably add about 500-1000 words and make this game really shine.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Well, Dungeon Adventure is out of the contest. My dad unexpectedly came home early from hospital, which is great! But it's eaten my time away a bit, so if one of the two has to go, I'd rather it be the game, sad as that makes me.

I think you should still come in an honorary second place.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Edit: Unco did a much better job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Edit: Never mind. Once again, real life has taken priority over internet.