Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Entry for the Contest!
First time doing one of these! I was super excited to do a stripped down version of D&D, but man oh man was it hard. I was loving my original idea but it just kept turning into too many words and too many rules for my taste. So, 4 revisions later I bring you Caverns and Wyrms. I still need to fit in an example of play, ugh. I hope I'm not assuming too much prior knowledge of fantasy and D&D. Definitely going to do the charity thing, but I'll have to think on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Thanks, Ulta. Ad Blurbs have never been a strong point for me. I'll be mulling that one over. Until then, here's my current draft (Put an updated version in new post)! I emailed the creator of that awesome dragon image (Sandara of sandara.net), and they gave me full permission to use if for this project, and even wished me luck! Still trying to figure out exactly how I want magic to work... And I agree that it all feels a bit dry (my jokes stink!). Also, I still have like a quarter page with formatting stripped, so I have a bit of room for more fluff. Still, I printed this thing out and it feels very satisfying so far, so even if I get nowhere else in this contest, thank you for giving me the motivation to create this thing.

Lastly, The Shortening 2:

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Hey, I have perhaps a silly question. Are we allowed to start playtesting before the playtesting phase of the contest? A few things I want to try ironing out before we get to that point.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Captain_Indigo posted:

Saffron Mark 1 is looking pretty good...but stripped of all formatting I'm currently four lines over the limit! I'm playing with it every which way I can, but I think I'm going to have to lose a feature to make it fit. This is agonizing, wicked idea for a contest!

Did you remove line breaks and set spacing to 1.0? Google docs defaults to 1.15 or something like that. Otherwise start shortening fluff and/or finding shorter synonyms for random words. You can do it!

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Official entry for Feb 10 deadline!

Ok, updated stuff a bit. Changed up layout just a tad, added a sample scenario, did some fluff reworking.

Click Image for submission.

Stripped of formatting

Probably not going to be able to do anything with this before deadline, so here we go!

Bonus Mission
The Shortening 2

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Captain_Indigo posted:

Saffron Milestone 1!

Just took a peak at your entry, and had to comment for 2 reasons (aside from saying I'm liking it so far). 1: That font is a bit hard to read. Might just be me but just thought you should know. 2: I was this close to going with the exact same "body, mind, and soul" stats but scrapped em when I did my second revision of my outline. Great minds and all that! You seem to have found a way to work them in smoother than I could, so good on ya for that!

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Crazy week, going to have to cram to meet my deadline this week. Oh well, anyhow...

Ulta posted:

Cavern and Wyrms

I really like the quotes at the start of each chapter. You’ve got a very simple, compact, D&D experience here, formatted well. I wonder if Int getting you extra skills, and everything else not having a concrete effect (its implied that attacking is Str/Dex)

Bonus - Yes
10/10

Thank you for the kind words. Int is kind of the only Ability that has a specific effect. An older version of this idea had each Ability allow for skill gaining, but it had to be a skill related to that ability. For example, if you had 4 STR you could learn 2 STR based skills each level. I dropped it because I didn't want most skills to be tied to a certain ability. In other words I didn't want you to be stuck using your STR ability for all of your STR based skills if you could come up with a clever way to tie it into an INT check for example. My second reasoning was to keep it simpler. Now that you've mentioned it, though, I'm kind of considering going back to that system. I suppose there's no reason the skill would have to be tied to the ability used to learn it initially. Plus, I can't really think of any cases where a STR based skill would be used for an INT check, heh. So yeah, I've talked myself into going with my original plan. Now to see if I can cram it in there.

As for the Str/Dex being implied for attacking, I don't really want to imply anything. Essentially if you can come up with a way to damage/hinder/etc your opponent that uses whatever ability you want to use, so be it. Maybe you have an arcane skill called "Confusion" and you use it to confuse your opponent, this would be a Int(because its arcane) vs Wis (which represents awareness) attack. In this case, no damage would be dealt (unless the player somehow worked that into their "story"), but it would hinder the enemy for some time. The point of any contested roll, though, is to make something happen that someone or something else wants to or has to try to prevent. I suppose that's something else I'll have to flesh out a bit, too. Bah, I might have to dump my sample scenario. :(

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Official entry for Feb 17th deadline

(Click for PDF)

Stripped of Formatting

Throwing this up now just in case. I changed the skill system and put in a tiny bit more on contested rolls. Had to really shave down the sample scenario and came up like one word under the page limit, ugh. Guess most of the adventure content will be up to the players/gm. Oh well! :shrug:

I'll try to squeeze in some reviews before the deadline, cuz you are all awesome.

Tiny Little Hemingways
The bard sang of BRAVERY and ADVENTURE. Glory of Heroes.
One, a soldier, led the charge. None could hold him.
Another, woman of the cloth. Her faith brought the light.
The third, a shadow. His strikes were unseen but true.
The last, magical prodigy. Reality bent to his mighty intellect.

Heroes go where they are needed most. No small chore.
The mayor’s young daughter, taken in the latest of hours.
Our heroes, without a moments hesitation, quickened to the lair.
They entered danger, heroes simply for trying, corpses defining progress.
In the early morning, through the mist, Heroes returned Legends.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Ulta posted:

All right. I have reviewed all the games. I am literally speachless away by the quality of the games presented. If I set out with the rubric that I made before I started reading, everyone would have either a 9, 10, or 11. Everyone has put forth a stellar product. I am awarding everyone Bonus for this round. That said, several of you have put forth the effort to have your stuff playtested and completed. How I will account for this, I am currently unsure, but it will be accounted for.

All that remains is any revisions you wish to make before the 28th, and your playtest.

This really has been an inspiring contest. Now, I don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first, but the concept for this month was pure awesome and I think the entries really show that.

Anyhow, reason I came in tonight was to ask this question: For our revisions before the final, are we allowed to make rules changes or modifications and such (as long as they are playtested of course) or are we limited to formatting and minor word changes? I haven't done my playtest yet (hope to get some people together this weekend), but while doing some mock encounters I noticed my math was WAY off for encounters and decided that needed some changing up. I also realized I didn't really include anything for non-combat encounters like I wanted. Probably no space for the latter, but the former is easy enough. So, again, is a change like that allowed?

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Hey, most of my playtest group dropped out on me! Anyone down for helping me out? I'm going to be setting up a Roll20.net game in about 30 minutes. I'm on irc.synirc.net #CnW right now if anyone is interested.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

If your browser supports flash, you should be good. And yeah, you can use text or mic. I'll be using text to make the whole chat-log thing easier. I've got all the setup done except for picking tokens for the players, heh.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Awesome. Yeah, I would like to have one more (I have one IRL friend on at the moment). But if you're cool with doing a 2 man run: https://app.roll20.net/join/88033/QhSw3g

All full, thanks everyone!

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Well, roll20 apparently crashed! Anyhow, thanks for all that helped, I'll be putting up the chat log as soon as roll20 lets me back on.

What the hell, servers say they are up, but I can't get back in :/

Edit: Ok, I give up... I can't load the room and opening the chat log brings up nothing. I hope these are related and whenever the connection is restored I get all of my chat logs... How frustrating.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Ulta posted:

Also lord_daeloth did a playtest and it might have disappeared into the aether, but I await summary/comments

Good news! Whatever oddness was effecting roll20 seems to have resolved itself and the chatlog is up, minus like the last two things I typed. So... yay! I'll post it up after my little guy goes to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Ok, final version!

(Click for PDF)

>>Proof of Length<<

>>Roll20.net Chatlog of Playtest<< (37 pages... I do not envy you Ulta)

The playtest went fairly well despite being slapped together quickly. Definitely learned some things didn't work. Mainly that a d20 was way too random. I originally wanted it because, hey a d20 is part of DnD to me. It did lead to a couple of funny moments, but I can't imagine that sort of thing would stay funny for an entire full adventure or campaign. Sooooo... for my final version I switched to a 2d6 rolling system. Some dry runs with it turned out well I think. I also decided that magic needed a boost to make sure it worked more often then not, otherwise I get the feeling magic would mostly be ignored. So, magic skills are still only usable once per encounter, but they give double the bonus of a standard skill. Anyhow, thanks to the awesome folks that helped me with the playtest on such short notice and thank you Ulta for the awesome contest.