Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Not a bad score. 5 ounces of government issue silver for $97.74 shipped. APMEX was having a sale on eBay and eBay was kind enough to give me a 15% off coupon as well. Another 3 ASE's and I'll have a full roll. Then I can start stacking some gold. :D

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hope this is related enough: I just noticed that Susan Bs are the same proportions as the newer dollars. Is there a historical reason for this, or was it chosen just because it looked about right? It doesn't seem to correspond to metal values like the rest tend to. By the way, isn't it a shame the alloy they chose for the new ones? They look awful when not mint. Good going pushing this coin so hard without bothering to make it pretty.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I think its just the standard size for dollar coins. The Sacagawea dollar is 26.5mm in diameter as well.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
fun fact: machines and a lot of people assume susan b anthony dollars are quarters and I've received them in change as such on more than one occasion

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I think its just the standard size for dollar coins. The Sacagawea dollar is 26.5mm in diameter as well.

Thanks for this.

I just bought my first collectible coin. A Morgan from 1879 in good but fairly well circulated condition and a nicely aged color. $32. Any idea how much I overpaid?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Do you have a picture of it? My LCS sells average circulation non key date Morgans for $25 a pop. Try to avoid eBay if you can since everything is overpriced because of the 13% fees and shipping costs.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Do you have a picture of it? My LCS sells average circulation non key date Morgans for $25 a pop. Try to avoid eBay if you can since everything is overpriced because of the 13% fees and shipping costs.

I'll post a pic after work. I only bought it cause it really popped next to the other ones the guy had. Mostly cause it aged a little darker.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Also, be sure to check out Coinflation. They have all the mintage numbers for each coin/year/mint location as well as an estimated price depending on the condition. They also give you an up to date price on the melt value of the coin as the POS and POG fluctuate. I try not to pay more than 16x face for junk silver, but that excludes silver dollars which carry a higher numismatic value compared to lower denomination coins.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 16, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Photos. They really emphasize the wear and the contrast on the coin.

Others the guy had--did I choose well? Front side only unfortunately. What do you call the ones with the glory over her head? I might try to buy more from the guy at $25. Like I said, I never bought coins before, but I just love this design and of course the silver.

Years:

79 (The one I got)
And a couple too worn to tell.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Peace Dollar is their slang term

and the '28 is the better coin, I assume it's an S, if it's a '28 plain it's the key to the series

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 17, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Al Harrington posted:

Peace Dollar is their slang term

and the '28 is the better coin, I assume it's an S, if it's a '28 plain it's the key to the series

By year or condition? The lighting there makes it look like it doesn't.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Your Morgan Dollar looks like it's in pretty good condition. The other dollars you are referred to are the Peace Dollars. Being newer they have less numismatic value than the Morgans are are usually a little cheaper. I don't really stack silver dollars but I have a few from my grandma and uncle.

1921-D

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I have zero interest in coin collecting (never had any real interest in collecting anything) but love this thread and have been following since start.

That last coin even in its condition is beautiful. However I noticed it says In God We Trust which surprised me as its a 1928 coin and I didn't think that was a practice until the 1950s?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

c0ldfuse posted:

I have zero interest in coin collecting (never had any real interest in collecting anything) but love this thread and have been following since start.

That last coin even in its condition is beautiful. However I noticed it says In God We Trust which surprised me as its a 1928 coin and I didn't think that was a practice until the 1950s?

It started on coins in 1864

if you look at the above posters morgan dollar you'll see it on the reverse above the eagle

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

c0ldfuse posted:

Are you confusing that with when they added "One nation under god" to the pledge of allegiance?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are you confusing that with when they added "One nation under god" to the pledge of allegiance?

no, it wasn't on paper money until 1957, introduced on series 1935G $1 silver certificates, varieties exist with and without the motto as it happened it 1957 right in the middle of the series being printed

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.
I could use a little more schooling on American coin grading. Here is a Barber Quarter I bought:

I paid 25 dollars for it, but now that I am looking it up I think I may have overpaid. A couple price guides online suggest that this coin is worth 23-25 dollars in F, and something like 35 dollars in VF. Looking at grading guides, I would say this coin is an F15 just by virtue of how strong the rims/denticles are. How far below price guide values do these things usually sell for?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

That's a really nice looking Barber, with some of the more delicate writing legible. What guides were you looking at?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I have no clue about what it'd be worth in terms of grading. I mainly stack coins and bullion for the silver content alone.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

AuntBuck posted:

That's a really nice looking Barber, with some of the more delicate writing legible. What guides were you looking at?

The PCGS, NGC, and Numismedia online guides. I haven't bothered to buy a red or blue book.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Pcgs and Ngc guides are for coins in those respective slabs, red book is cheap and is retail for raw coin, eBay completed auctions are the best bet for pricing

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Fine is about right (technically all of the letters of "LIBERTY" should be visible) but it's been harshly cleaned, which negatively impacts its value.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My dad has at least four $10 rolls of every state quarter and was pretty bummed out about not being able to get very many of those quarters with the Philidelphia mint mark.

That said he's gonna roll in his grave when he dies and my mother dumps his whole top dresser full of those coin rolls onto a bank teller's counter.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I went to a coin shop and asked for the junk bin. I got a bunch of worthless but really interesting foreign coins for farthings on the kroner. It's fun and I can get cool pieces without getting myself another thing to spend money on. I don't see myself buying more silver dollars and things except for as gifts--it's hard to buy people gifts that are unique and have actual value.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I just sold a small amount of foreign coins (not silver or gold) for 99 cents on eBay but the buyer is from Italy and I doubt he's gonna pay the $16 shipping fee. If he backs out you can have them for a dollar + shipping if you're interested. I'll keep you informed.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
I submitted my first batch of coins to NGC yesterday. I've been slowly building up my confidence in my ability to grade MS coins, so I hope the results don't come as a kick in the balls. I am holding my breath on one potential details coin though.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Mescal posted:

Hope this is related enough: I just noticed that Susan Bs are the same proportions as the newer dollars. Is there a historical reason for this, or was it chosen just because it looked about right? It doesn't seem to correspond to metal values like the rest tend to. By the way, isn't it a shame the alloy they chose for the new ones? They look awful when not mint. Good going pushing this coin so hard without bothering to make it pretty.

There's actually a technical reason for this—the Mint designed post-Anthony dollar coins to have the same size, weight, and electromagnetic properties, so that any machine that already accepted Anthony dollars would also accept the golden dollars without modification (assuming that it only checks those attributes and doesn't do some sort of weird laser-based face recognition too or something).

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So apparently they just decided on a new image for the reverse of the American Silver Eagle for either 2015 or 2016. I like the design except for the extra text at the bottom. Justice, Integrity, Service my rear end.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

yea that bottom text is unnecessary, nice looking design but it'll be interesting to see what it looks like in relief on a chunk of silver, is the obverse staying the same?, and $5?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So apparently they just decided on a new image for the reverse of the American Silver Eagle for either 2015 or 2016. I like the design except for the extra text at the bottom. Justice, Integrity, Service my rear end.

At five bucks, shouldn't it be a quarter eagle?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mescal posted:

Yeah, like just the leg and thigh :chef:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

E4C85D38 posted:

There's actually a technical reason for this—the Mint designed post-Anthony dollar coins to have the same size, weight, and electromagnetic properties, so that any machine that already accepted Anthony dollars would also accept the golden dollars without modification (assuming that it only checks those attributes and doesn't do some sort of weird laser-based face recognition too or something).

That's interesting, thanks. I think they could have done a million other things--like subsidizing retrofitting for arcades, laundries, etc--to encourage their adoption instead of just minting countless dollars and calling it good. The US will never have a popular dollar coin.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Mescal posted:

That's interesting, thanks. I think they could have done a million other things--like subsidizing retrofitting for arcades, laundries, etc--to encourage their adoption instead of just minting countless dollars and calling it good. The US will never have a popular dollar coin.

not while they continue to print a $1 federal reserve note

and the crane company won't be getting rid of that gravy train anytime soon

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I seriously can't wait for dollar bills to go out of circulation and $5 coins to show up.

I was a teller for ~7 years in my youth and do I hate dollar bills.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Our vending machines now accept $5 bills but everything inside is a dollar or less, buying something is like winning at slots.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Mescal posted:

Still more accurate than the current $1 ASE.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
What would be my best option for looking up the values on a massive amount of coins? My grandmother just gave me her entire life's collection of coins (and she's 95 years old!), so I've got literally pounds of the things to sort through. There's 1880s US dollar coins, 1964 Kennedy half-dollars, 1943 pennies, and a whole bunch more, so I've got a variety to go through, as well.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Check out https://www.coinflation.com for prices. Also if you are willing to sell some silver dollars and silver halves PM me.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Also post interesting finds in the thread, if you can :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Here's my unboxing video, with a package sent from forum user JacquelineDempsey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiVH696tlgI

• Locked thread