Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

how much for a 1905 UK Gold Sovereign? Good but not perfect condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.
It's worth the bullion value plus a couple percent since they are more desirable than modern bullion. So about 270-285 dollars. This assumes decent circulated condition. The value can be much much higher if it's mint state.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Ok, so I made a thread about all this in the DIY & Hobbies section! The OP is a little :effort: but I did what I could. Any additions to it would be appreciated and I'll try and update it as much as I can. Hope to see you all there!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Gorgeous coins: http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...50311124137.htm (feel free to repost in hobbies section, et, al.!)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I asked about this coin with a cell phone picture, here are some better pictures of it.

Is eBay my best bet for selling it?
Should I use the first pair of pictures, second pair of pictures, or both?
Is it worth sending it out to be graded?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

I asked about this coin with a cell phone picture, here are some better pictures of it.

Is eBay my best bet for selling it?
Should I use the first pair of pictures, second pair of pictures, or both?
Is it worth sending it out to be graded?

I don't know gold that well yet, and don't know if this is a regularly counterfeited gold type. I'm guessing since it's one of the lower value gold coins, it isn't. The scratch on Liberty's face would likely give it a details grade, so I'd expect the coin to come back as an AU details coin. It looks like there might be hairlines on the coin that would give it a details grade as well. That's not nearly as good as getting a grade. Knowing that, the only reason to get it slabbed would be to validate authenticity. If it were me, I wouldn't bother.

eBay is your best bet for selling it online. It's not really worth messing with another auction house. Looking at eBay sales history, there is a surprising spread in prices of apparently AU examples. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

For pictures, I'd use both sets. And if you can take better photos, use those too. Good photos go a long way, especially if it's a coin where people are worried about fakes.

Hopefully we have a more knowledgeable gold person lurking around here to chime in.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I got like 3 rolls of pre 1964 quarters from the bank when I was getting money for a laundromat. Is it worth looking for "pristine" quarters or specific years or anything? Or is it really just worth the amount of silver in the coins?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Marzzle posted:

I got like 3 rolls of pre 1964 quarters from the bank when I was getting money for a laundromat. Is it worth looking for "pristine" quarters or specific years or anything? Or is it really just worth the amount of silver in the coins?

When you say pre-1964, are you referring to Benjamin Franklin half dollars or Walking LIberty half dollars? Both types will always get a slight premium over Kennedys and other 'junk' silver. Franklin half dollars really need to be in Almost Uncirculated condition to be worth much more than the silver price. There isn't a ton of variability in value from date to date, but certain dates are worth more in mint state. For walking liberty halves, the dates before 1935 or so can be worth considerably more than the later dates. Later dates need to be AU before they start being worth a lot more, but earlier ones increase in value as low as VF.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Marzzle posted:

Like, you gave them thirty dollars cash, and they gave your three rolls of loving silver?

What bank is that?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Coin roll hunting.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Jimmy James posted:

When you say pre-1964, are you referring to Benjamin Franklin half dollars or Walking LIberty half dollars? Both types will always get a slight premium over Kennedys and other 'junk' silver. Franklin half dollars really need to be in Almost Uncirculated condition to be worth much more than the silver price. There isn't a ton of variability in value from date to date, but certain dates are worth more in mint state. For walking liberty halves, the dates before 1935 or so can be worth considerably more than the later dates. Later dates need to be AU before they start being worth a lot more, but earlier ones increase in value as low as VF.

well they are quarters so they aren't really half dollars?

MrYenko posted:

Like, you gave them thirty dollars cash, and they gave your three rolls of loving silver?

What bank is that?

Yeah basically that, technically my girlfriend got them at her bank and I noticed they were all pre 1964 after she had spent like $0.75 of them. The bank is american savings bank and I think it's only in Honolulu because I have never seen them anywhere else.

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 8, 2015

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I'd be running back to that bank as fast a loving possible

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Just got myself four rolls of Kennedy silver halves at face value. Brings me to a total of $45 in silver halves, two of which are 90% silver. I'm thinking I might get rid of half of them and see what silver prices do in the next couple months.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Personally I would get rid of all the 40% in lieu of 90%.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hey guys, I have a small pile of banknotes from England, Scotland, and Australia, a sample of which is presented below. Are any of these anything special? Any clues much appreciated!

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
So on a whim I stopped at the local coin shop looking to start an older european/foreign coin collection (am american). They don't sort/value any of their forein coin currency and sell it in bulk by weight, and they're cool with me sitting in the store sorting through it all to find my moneys worth.

dug through and found a pound of stuff that at least looks interesting, preliminary search results are showing some potential for rarities, things they really should have pulled.

going to dig through here and some other websites to try and find values, I'll go ahead and edit this with pictures of anything I have questions on. Seems like there isn't much older than 1700s in the first and only bucket I dug through but that may change with my next visit.

Also, since i have basically been given free reign to dig through and find valuables is there anything I absolutely should pull given the chance? Mostly seemed to be English/French ca. 1700 - Current.

Also, I broke even on legal tender gbp coins, so everything else was effectively free.

EDIT: I AM GOING BACK

That is apparently a 1881 victoria half crown. I don't know how to value it in that condition. I do know that in the 1 bucket I went through I saw one or 2 more.

currently working on an imgur album of the coins I wasn't able to identify/wasn't sure about.

average value seems to have come out to about $5USD per coin, now that I have ideas of what to look for I imagine that will go up.

EDIT: Not A Half-Crown - Got a few of my coins mixed up after looking again. That one is effectively worthless due to frequency/condition IIRC. Did upload the more interesting coins to a drive doc you should be able to view

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 5, 2015

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I inherited some coins and bills recently.

more bills ($1 silver certs): here and here

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the gold coin is the only thing really worth much, though the higher bills may be $20 and 40? Surprised the mint-sealed blue Ike rarely seems to go above $10 on ebay.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
This might not be the right thread for this, well see. But can anyone tell me what the hell this thing is?

I found it on the edge of a road a few years ago. It looks plastic but It feels like metal and has that metallic scent to it too.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Looks like a reproduction of a widow's mite.

Edit: More specifically it looks like a bad reproduction of a Alexander Jannaeus prutah. They messed up the star/wheel pretty badly but the anchor is recognizable.

Sesquiculus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 22, 2016

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Dang how do Goons know so much poo poo. You're right. http://www.amazon.com/Widows-Coins-Reproduction-Antique-Bronze/dp/B00NVOFJ44

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have this thing from when I was a kid:

I think I have the papers that came with it at my parents place. How much could I expect to get for it on eBay, with and without papers?

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
Current silver maple leafs are going in the 18-20 dollar range. Since it's older it could be more. Is that a photo of the actual coin? Do you have both sides? Do you have a photo of the packaging? No matter what, it's a silver maple leaf and you can get 16 dollars. If it's desirable and in original packaging, it can be worth more than the silver value (maybe as much as 30-50).

For what it's worth, I just went to eBay and searched for actual sale prices of maple leafs. I don't normally do bullion.

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!
Here are some old gold coins that have been in my family, since maybe around when they were minted. Their condition is probably considered rough (they look better in person honestly), but they've been through some rough circumstances.. I'm not planning on selling them, but I recently got a gold dental crown and I'm on a bit of a gold kick.

1849 Russian 5 rouble
1899 & 1901 Russian 5 rouble Tsar Nicholas II

1900 US $20 Liberty Head Double Eagle

(I love gooooold)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
My mother showed me these and wanted to know if they're worth anything (they're both a bit rough):

Also, she had this $10 bill that someone gave her and said there was something wrong with it, but can't remember what they said it was:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriends family just brought us a bunch of her old stuff from the house she grew up in-one of the boxes had this badass old dollar collection. I wasn't about to take 25 up close pictures, but let me know if you'd like any higher res pics of any specific coin. The coins are in the same order for front and back.

I see there are other morgans on this very page-I read this thread from time to time out of curiosity, and will catch up after this post. This is half for appraisal and half to show off this awesome coin collection that I didn't know we had.

Edit-not this page apparently, page 7 which was as far as I had gotten. Either way, will catch up while waiting to hear about these coins

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 28, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Anybody know what happened to the money guys?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bought these two coins in the UK when I was a teenager, and have long since lost whatever identifying information they came with. Can you guys tell me exactly what I've got?

(inches)

Apologies for the cell phone pics, my wife has the good camera. If there's some detail you can't make out, ask and I'll get some better-lit shots outside.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Both are late Roman bronzes.

The one on the left is emperor Probus with a CONCORDIA AUG reverse. The reverse depicts the goddess Concordia holding a patera and cornucopiae. Having trouble finding examples of this specific coin, most of Concordia reverses depict her holding a pair of standards. Probus reigned from 276 to 282 AD but I'm not sure exactly when this one was struck.

The one on the right is emperor Constantius II with a FEL TEMP REPARATIO (The Restoration of Happy Times) reverse. It depicts a soldier spearing a fallen horseman, similar to this one. Probably struck somewhere around 352 to 355 AD, but I can't make out the mint mark.

I'm no expert, but neither is in particularly good condition so I imagine they're only worth something in the $10 to $40 range. The Probus might be worth more if it really is a rare type.

Sesquiculus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 29, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thank you, that's really quick and great info! What are the denominations of these coins?

I doubt teenage me paid a whole lot for them, so they're probably about the same value as when I bought them. Do you think they were likely to have been found in the UK, or more probably imported?

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Again, no expert, but my understanding is that is still largely unknown. Follis is the term you hear most often. They're usually categorized by their size since we don't know what they're called.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follis

And they could have come from anywhere, honestly. People have been collecting Roman coins since Rome fell, so they move around a lot.

If you were curious about the inscriptions, the Probus reads IMP PROBUS PF AUG which is short for "IMPERATOR PROBUS PIUS FELIX AUGUSTUS" (Commander Probus, Pious and Lucky/Happy, the Emperor). The Constantius II is too worn to read but probably originally read D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, "DOMINUS NOSTER CONSTANTIUS PIUS FELIX AUGUSTUS" (Our Lord Constantius, Pious and Lucky/Happy, the Emperor).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think I found one very very similar, if not 100% identical, to the Probus:
RIC 661 Probus AE Antoninianus. IMP PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, helmeted and cuirassed bust left with spear and shield / CONCORDIA AVG, Concordia standing left with patera & double cornuacopiae, T to right. Mintmark XXI. Cohen 152. Sear 11966.
from http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/probus/i.html

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Not the same dies, it looks like, but very close.

Interesting, according to this article the XXI isn't a mint mark. It's the ratio of copper to silver (20 to 1).

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sesquiculus posted:

The one on the right is emperor Constantius II with a FEL TEMP REPARATIO (The Restoration of Happy Times) reverse. It depicts a soldier spearing a fallen horseman, similar to this one.

Restoration of happy times: stabbin' people who earned it.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
i got a gold-colored Hawaii quarter out of a soda machine today, was it out of a set or are there just gold colored quarters out there? I know its not worth anything, just hadn't seen one before.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Photo?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Sorry, got busy, here are the pictures of the gold colored quarter:

http://imgur.com/a/Xelg0

Jxforema fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 31, 2016

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Jxforema posted:

Sorry, got busy, here are the pictures of the gold colored quarter:

http://imgur.com/a/Xelg0

Just novelty quarters sold through HSN or it's ilk.

Takis
Sep 15, 2005
meh, I'unno.
I was shown an 1862 US (not confederate) $20 gold piece. It wasnt mine, but the lady didnt think it was anything special.

is it worth something more than the metal its made of?

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Having trouble finding information about a nickel I got handed as change.
1927 Culion Leper Colony 5 Centavos
As I understand these are pretty rare considering they were minted specifically to keep money on the island.

I can't find anything about the value of these though. They were low mintage are a bit of a niche. Don't have a picture ATM.

Just wondering if anybody has any information on these and if it's worth it to find a collector interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I just found these in an old box I bought in a yard sale. Look Spanish, but I don't know anything about coins. Don't really care if they're worth anything, but any history or info would be neat.

• Locked thread