Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That looks different because it's made of actual silver. That coin is worth a little more than 2 bucks just for its scrap silver content. Many coins from 1964 and before are worth a fair bit because of their silver content, not their collectability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NewcastleBrown posted:

I read most of the thread but scanned over a few sections so forgive me if this has been covered but if you have these pre-1965 dimes and quarters what is the best way to get melt value for them?

You can probably get 85% in SA Mart. There was a goon picking up gold and silver in there a while ago. How much are you talking about?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A 5 dollar Liberty Half Eagle from the 1800's is worth about 300 dollars just for it's physical gold melt value. I have no idea if it would have any numismatic value above the appx .24 oz of physical gold used to make the coin.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Silver just dipped into the $18's. Buy! Buy! Buy!

I still think it's high. I see it going under 10 dollars once the economy straightens it's poo poo out in a few more years. I don't think we'll get back to $4/oz silver ever again, but 18 is still way too high for me.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone buying in the $17's/oz?

I'm not buying anything until it's back under $10/oz. It might take another year or so, but it's definitely headed back down that way. I may start buying my kids some collectable coins like Silver Pandas, Eagles, and others, but I'm not touching bars/rounds or old US Silver until the price corrects farther downward.

• Locked thread