Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ninjahedgehog posted:

So who else is really annoyed that Maroon 5's One More Night kept Gangnam Style from hitting #1? Seriously, like it or not, that would have been historic. Foreign language songs have hit the top (99 Luftballoons, Macarena, can anyone think of more?)

Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto. If you want to be a nerd, refer to it by it's title "Ue o Muite Aruko," since Sukiyaki makes no sense as a title. It was just chosen because it's a Japanese word that us Americans would be familiar with, and rolls off the tongue much easier than "Ue o Muite Aroku." It's also the only Japanese song to hit #1 on the charts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmj6Vml5YgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I don't have a large list, but "August," "I Wish You Would" and "Delicate" would be on the list because I'm not a philistine.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

There’s always been nostalgia booms. In the 80s, stuff from the 50s and 60s got popular again. You had a ton of stuff getting reissued or covered or bands aping a certain style like the Stray Cats. In the 90s, you had a swing revival. The only difference is that Brian Steltzer has nothing to do with this boom.

I mean, a decade ago you would turn on the radio, hear Werewolves of London only to get the rug pulled and have it be Kid Rock’s All Summer Long.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

ImI figure it'll happen eventually though. And it's not like there's no great music. But it would be nice for something exciting to really take off and start a new wave.

So Duran Duran is the next big thing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The more I listen to Guts the more I love it. Her voice has never been better than on this album. Also every experiment she tried on this album works.

They hid a track on the vinyl version of the album.

The needle hits a locked groove, and you have to decide you want more Olivia Rodrigo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Thread. This is the Pop Music Thread… The Elusive Chanteuse (Taylor’s Version)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Just got back from the Eras Tour film. Very good, got to hear the music a lot better than when we went to the actual show. Loved all the people dancing and singing in the theater. Went to a theater that used to be an Alamo that has the same rules and some dummies complained to staff about people dancing and then left 1/4 of the way through. Can’t imagine being a Taylor Swift fan and being that upset lmao

Yeah, I feel like if you’re going to a concert film, you can expect a different behavior from the audience than if you were going to see another film.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Licensing is really the way the industry makes money. That’s why T. Swift does it. That’s why Jeff Lynne recorded his stuff with ELO a few years back. That’s why K-tel and other record companies would commission re-records of classic songs. Money.

So you are a successful artist, you have a spat with your record company, you decide to do new versions of your old stuff. They don’t want to lose that money that they can get. So they’re going to fight against it anyway they can.

Except treating the artists fairly. That’s just a stupid idea.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW55J2zE3N4

How are people feeling about this one? Personally, I think it's kind of boring. I'd like to think that The Beatles would be making more interesting music than this if they were all still alive and making music together today, but maybe not.

Also, this doesn't have an AI-generated John Lennon voice as I originally thought. It's a demo tape Lennon made decades ago and the band used Peter Jackson's machine learning technology used in the Get Back movie to isolate his vocal track from that demo tape.

It’s alright. They’re trying to flesh out a demo, and there’s only so much they can do. It’s not like Real Love where you really had a complete song. It feels like more of a sketch that’s been expanded.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I haven't had a chance to go back and compare it with how Love Me Do sounded on 1, but this definitely sounded really good.

It would be in mono since they don’t have the session tapes for LMD. They don’t even have a tape for the single version and have to source it from a 45 rpm record.

I didn’t think the stereo mix sounded all that good. The imaging is pretty wonky with the bass on the left and the drums and guitars on the right. I recognize there’s not much you can do in stereo with this song. It does show off how good the extraction technology can be, unlike some of The Beach Boys usage of that technology. The less said about the horrid Sounds of Summer reissue, the better.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Wait, people don’t like Pretty Isn’t Pretty? Is a standout track on the album for me!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Haven't watched Todd's video yet but I'm already fuming at that take. I really just don't get how you can't at least be okay with that song.

The only thing I will say is that I think the production/arrangement is a big part of it, and the stripped-down performances do nothing for me. But that's true of a bunch of other good songs too.

EDIT: Also I'd be remiss not to echo the love for the Pat Finnerty video, it's way less tedious than you'd think an hour-long takedown of a song would be. One of the most naturally gifted comedic creators on YouTube by far.

I mean, production is a part of a song, and you change it, you change the song. Like, Beethoven’s Ninth played on armpit farts is going to sound different than with an orchestra, but no one is bold enough to let me have it!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I generally agree that her rockier/faster songs are better but Vampire is the main example for me of her theatricality really working. You can probably see me real-time in this thread originally saying “it sounds like it’s from a musical” as a negative and then realising it actually rules

Yeah, I really enjoyed Vampire. I lost Todd on “fame fucker” vs “star fucker.” Both terms work well, and it paints a slightly different picture of someone going after someone who isn’t quite a star and has just gotten some success.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Imo we should talk about pop music in the pop music thread

Edit: as in this is generating discussion about pop music so this is a good derail

No, we should talk about the SALT treaties and what they mean for the world.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

The Tortured Poets Department sounds like a Morrissey album, so I’m expecting Taylor Swift to go full Moz on the album.

Well maybe only half Moz. I don’t Swift going alt right.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

What I respect is that she is constantly releasing music. I’m tired of getting into an artist and then waiting 5 years for a middling release. Don’t like a Taylor Swift album, guess what, in six months, she’ll put out something completely different!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

https://x.com/popcrave/status/1770029147953180857?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Obsessed is another banger live, I’m excited to have it to stream

But obsessed is not unreleased! It’s literally released! It’s on the vinyl version! It’s an honest to god hidden track!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

look I get that there are different strokes for different folks but I assume that anyone who likes this more than Renaissance has never shook their rear end before in their life

What if I don’t have an rear end to shake?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Valentin posted:

i actually do not think this album is particularly self-serious ("daddy i love him and i'm having his baby", the double suicide threat line, etc.) but she can't ever, EVER for one second pretend its not in total seriousness because she sees it as essential to her commercial success that people really believe in the life narratives she sells. so instead she released a weird sprawling double album that's half "here's me explaining the PR version of my last three relationships (because i know that's what we're all here for) over incredibly boring jack antonoff soundscapes" and half, like, actual songs a person could listen to, and it all has to be played absolutely to the hilt because god forbid for one second the narrative not look right.

I disagree. Swifties taken the readings too far and try to analyze every song as if it’s all autobiographical, and it feels like that has become the normalized discourse around her music. This is the same woman who sang “karma is a cat purring in my lap because it loves me.” She’s goofy, awkward, nerdy, and self aware of her absurdity.

I feel like more of the ridiculous lines in the songs work better in context, like the Charlie Puth line in the title track.

There’s also been little pieces of the songs that have grabbed me, like the opening to Farewell London.

That said, I do think dropping 31 songs at once hurts people’s perceptions. Even if it was all good, it’s still a lot to take in. It’s like Cowboy Carter. Something more focused would be a better listen, but with streaming, artists don’t need to edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Read the room Katy, Jesus Christ

She did read the room. Sadly, there was nobody else in the room.