Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'd be okay with using this thread for general chart-watching. There's usually a song or two I'm rooting for to climb the charts, and Little Talks is it right now. Go, weird Icelandic band who never would have had chance any other year besides this one, go!

When was the last time any Icelandic group or act got near the top of the charts? Björk?

BTW, I saw those guys at Laneway (a music festival) in Auckland yesterday. They're pretty good live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

ninjahedgehog posted:

Were Peter Bjorn and John Icelandic? I remember Young Folks having a stranglehold on the radio back in summer 2007.

Er, no. They're Swedish.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Benne posted:

I've spent the last few days swamped in Super Bowl coverage for SB Nation. Will get caught up on the latest Billboard chart as soon as I get time.

E: Beyonce had the best halftime show in years.

At least Beyonce didn't have LMFAO with her. Yeesh.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I know it's been a while since the last post, but I want this thread to keep going.

Couple of Billboard news things: "Royals" by Lorde is now in the top 10! Aw yeah, Kiwi time.

After an 11-month stretch at the top of the charts, "Blurred Lines" has been unseated by "Roar" by Katy Perry. What do you guys think of the new Katy Perry song?

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Personally, I think Miley lost that battle when she belittled mentally ill people. That was just not on.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Personally, I love ARTPOP. Yes, it has its flaws; a small handful of songs could be cut (IMHO), it is brickwalled to heck* (as is every other pop album nowadays - looking at you, Katy Perry) and it has its fair share of silly lyrics (as has been the case from The Fame onwards), but holy poo poo is it a lot of fun and it does not deserve the trashing it got from the critics. Way to justify the first two lines of 'Applause', you guys.

* On that subject, I heard an interview she did with Howard Stern (I think) where she said that she'd paid a lot of attention to the production, trying to ensure it wasn't too loud, and I felt awful for her. I wish someone would tell her about the loudness war - at present, it doesn't matter how much time and effort she spends on the production, it will inevitably be ruined by the aforementioned brickwalling.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I'm sure Beyonce's new videos are good and all, but I'm taking major points off "XO" due to it being directed by the mega-creep who directed the video for "Wrecking Ball". Sorry, but Terry Richardson disgusts me even before you get to the sexual harassment allegations.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
To be fair, IIRC, Azealia had to put up with a lot of label-related fuckery, which is why BWET took so darn long to come out. If she could have released BWET earlier, she would have - hence the short amount of time between leaving Interscope and releasing the album.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Josh Lyman posted:

This is going to be a Billboard/radio flop like Style.

'Style' was a top ten hit. In my book, that means that it wasn't a flop. I really don't get this notion of top ten hits being flops.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I can't believe Sam Smith's doing a Bond theme song. Watch it be the most boring Bond song of all time.

To be fair though, Sam Smith is capable of doing interesting stuff, but I don't think it'll happen this time.

(Prove me wrong, Mr. Smith. Prove me wrong).

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Stalins Moustache posted:

If I remember right from something I read some time ago, she's actually just a really shy person...

If that's the case, then that explains a fair amount about "Call Me Maybe".

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Say what you will about the British pop charts being really weird, they allowed the superior a-ha song to get to #1 (Sun Always Shines On TV, duh). I'm OK with Take On Me, but it's been affected by the years of overplay. See also: Dexy's Midnight Runners and Come On Eileen.

However, if you want to talk about weird charts, take a gander at the New Zealand charts. Did either the UK or the USA allow Joy Division to get to #1? I think not, although both NZ and the UK allowed a Killing Joke song (Love Like Blood) into the top 10 / 20 (respectively).

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess nothing gets sports fans pumped up quite like Coldplay. :v:

Seriously, I'm pretty sure even Phil Collins was a more appropriate choice. At least he had a few up-tempo songs, right?

Eh, Clocks isn't too slow. But yeah, Coldplay are an unusual choice, and I don't even hate them.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just think they're incredibly dull. You know, like the Nickelback of Britpop.

IDK, I think comparing them to Nickelback is a bit much. They're not the most exciting band, but they aren't consistently awful like Nickelback. Besides, Chris Martin is a better singer than Chad Kroeger.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, I've just found out that that NHS Trust choir beat Justin Bieber to get this year's Christmas No. 1...

IIRC, Biebs told his fans to buy that song because he felt that he could spare a week for charity. That was nice of him.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
This whole thing with Kesha is so lovely.

Also, when Lady Gaga comes back, I hope the album she chooses to emulate is Born This Way. Not so much in terms of the sound, but in terms of the sheer confidence and passion that she poured into the project.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

RevKrule posted:

This is horrible mistake and one you should never admit you made ever again. One of these women is incredibly talented and the only good thing to come out of 50 shades of grey. The other is the daughter of Rob Schneider.

Elle King is related to Rob Schneider, but she was raised by her mother, so I don't think it's fair to use her parentage as an excuse to insult her.

Also, I like Ellie Goulding, and I don't think she's untalented, but IMHO calling her "incredibly" talented is a slight stretch.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when there was a brief craze for saxophone solos about five years ago? I don't think it amounted to very much but Kenny G did one in that one Katy Perry song and Clarence Clemons (RIP) showed up in "The Edge of Glory".

I know this is from the last page, but Kenny G didn't play on 'Last Friday Night'. He was in the video, though.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

TheIndividual posted:

Dang man, just throw in the first couple Verlaines albums. You're in NZ fer chrissakes.

Ooh, are we talking about great Kiwi music? The Gordons, The Chills (they're more than just Pink Frost, although it is a good song), Straitjacket Fits, Skeptics... lots of good stuff.

(Also, GG Spiteski for picking up Rainbow. God drat am I happy that Kesha's able to release new music).

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Watched Creed and Creed 2 over the weekend. Tessa Thompson (Thor, Sorry to Bother You) plays a musician in the movie and goddamn is her music good.

https://youtu.be/3-7J0d2g5DQ
https://youtu.be/nJmory2GbyI
https://youtu.be/kOoFsiyFoJs
https://youtu.be/VHl9TNGYf2c

Not to mention hanging out with Janelle Monae. Ever since I found out about that I've been paying a lot more attention to Tessa Thompson. Made rewatching Thor: Ragnarok a lot more fun (and I already liked that movie).

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

DC Murderverse posted:

... Not a single Gaga song is a shame, especially considering they basically spoiled that Fame Monster is gonna be on their top album list in their editor's note.

Pitchfork trying to tell me that Rae Sremmurd and 'Lifestyle' are better than 'Edge of Glory' and 'Marry The Night', GTFO.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

DC Murderverse posted:

rae sremmurd owns fool

I will give you this: 'Black Beatles' does, in fact, own. Unfortunately that was not the song picked by Pitchfork.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Pinterest Mom posted:

Where's call me maybe on the song list

IMHO, Run Away With Me nukes Call Me Maybe from orbit. Then again, Call Me Maybe’s success bankrolled RAWM, so I will be grateful for that.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

CJacobs posted:

The number of people responding to her post acting like "do not perform your music in public" was part of the contract all along and she just "didn't read the fine print" are fuckin' idiots, like real lowest common denominator brainlets.

Or acting like because Taylor Swift has been litigious in the past means that she deserves this BS.

Pretty sure she's never pushed for artists to not be able to perform their stuff on television because of legalities around whether or not it counts as a "recorded" version, but do let your hatred of Taylor Swift push you into sitting at the dickhead table.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Albums of the Decade:

Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer (shoutout to The ArchAndroid, but I've listened to Dirty Computer way more often)
Lady Gaga - Born This Way (although I do like most of the first half of ARTPOP)
Carly Rae Jepsen - E*MO*TION
CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe (although Every Open Eye has the best CHVRCHES song with 'Clearest Blue')
Lorde - Melodrama
Kesha - Rainbow
Beyoncé - LEMONADE (although I do like BEYONCÉ a lot as well)
CRJ - Dedicated
The Adults - Haja (the frontman of my favourite band Shihad combines Sudanese music with Kiwi artists and producers. It's great and Shihad are criminally underrated)

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The remix album bangs

Seconded. My favourites are Rina Sawayama!Free Woman, Arca!Rain On Me and Ashnikko!Plastic Doll. I also like the Sine From Above remix, if only for its shitpost energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Add me to the RENAISSANCE love train, because I've had various songs from that album stuck in my head all day.