Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

So who else is really annoyed that Maroon 5's One More Night kept Gangnam Style from hitting #1? Seriously, like it or not, that would have been historic. Foreign language songs have hit the top (99 Luftballoons, Macarena, can anyone think of more?) but this would have been the first completely viral #1 hit, right? Not to mention it would have made 2012 the weirdest year ever, between it and all the idie stuff back in the spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Kalos posted:

How are we defining pop music here, exactly? Just a general discussion of whatever's charting right now?

I gotta say that I'm pretty happy about bands that would usually be unable to break out of the indie and alt charts showing up on ranking pretty well on Billboard's Hot 100. Stuff like Imagine Dragons, fun., and Gotye. As someone who doesn't particularly care for dance music and has a pretty limited palette for hip hop and R&B, the last few years of radio airplay have been kinda painful.

I'm particularly happy about Of Monsters and Men's "Little Talks" climbing up to 25, as the band's been a recent obsession of mine.

I'd be okay with using this thread for general chart-watching. There's usually a song or two I'm rooting for to climb the charts, and Little Talks is it right now. Go, weird Icelandic band who never would have had chance any other year besides this one, go!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ZakAce posted:

When was the last time any Icelandic group or act got near the top of the charts? Björk?

BTW, I saw those guys at Laneway (a music festival) in Auckland yesterday. They're pretty good live.

Were Peter Bjorn and John Icelandic? I remember Young Folks having a stranglehold on the radio back in summer 2007.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ZakAce posted:

Er, no. They're Swedish.

Rats. That was my second guess.

Benne posted:

I remember back in 2005 or so when the charts got blown up by the likes of The Killers, Modest Mouse and Franz Ferdinand and people were saying the same things back then, that indie-rock was the new normal and we were finally getting our first real revolution since "Nevermind".

That never happened, obviously. So I'm naturally a bit skeptical about 2012's breakout bands sticking. Now Gotye and fun. have real talent, and I don't doubt that they'll continue putting out quality music, but is lightning going to strike again for those guys?

I'm already bracing for the Gotye knockoffs coming this year.

Man, I hope they're right this time. Fun at least has two charting singles, but Gotye's sitting at just the one. If I were his producer I'd be frantically trying to release another one soon before he starts running the risk of being a one-hit-wonder.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Benne posted:

Here's the latest Billboard Hot 100, courtesy of a Youtube compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHXQQYTz3Q

Another random observation:

Holy poo poo, there's a lot of country on the charts. Like 1 out of every 3 songs. I guess I always sort of knew the country was popular, but it's a music scene that I literally have zero exposure to, apart from like Johnny Cash and couple of songs from Justified. :clint:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

HJB posted:

As someone who listens to a fair bit of electronic music, the ubiquity of it in the charts these days draws mixed emotions from me. On one hand, I hate the recent trend of 'electronic bands' who are set up like pop/rock bands but it feels like they're trying too hard to force electronic elements into their music just so they get airplay. Tracks like Chasing The Sun by the aforementioned Wanted are what I'm on about.

On a related note, Chasing the Sun totally sounds like an electronic version of The Elder Scrolls main theme.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

het posted:

Wow, that's really unpleasant.

Watch one of his "best song of 20XX" videos. It's clear that he really, really likes music, but people somehow prefer to watch internet critics review poo poo, and he knows what pays the bills.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

het posted:

Making fun of stupid stuff is fine but this just seems forced and less about humor (there's a lot of lazy, weak jokes here) and more about just establishing oneself as better than the artists/material you're looking at. But it sounds like this probably belongs in the PYF thread for this, yes?

Doesn't exist anymore. :(

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I like to imagine that she's singing about the magical land of Uncun-Dyshunali.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone's been watching the pop charts, it looks like in the next couple of weeks Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive" and AWOLNATION's "Sail" are going to dethrone Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" as the longest run on the Hot 100.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

He'll be fine if he performs well. The Lana Del Rey performance was reviled because it wasn't very good. Sure, a lot of the backlash was exaggerated, but that doesn't change the fact that she did not give a good performance.

Isn't the SNL stage also notoriously bad for live music? I remember reading somewhere that even the best live acts sound bad at 30 Rock.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, Avril Lavigne just dropped the worst thing ever.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

How come no one's talking about this song?

I'll start: It's awesome.

It's catchy as hell, and the message is overall a good one, but it's about a subtle as a sledgehammer with a healthy amount of that "gently caress you skinny girls, REAL MEN like this" crap that plasters my Facebook feed every day.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

So is Katy Perry really doing the Super Bowl halftime show? I'm disappointed, I was hoping for Rihanna.

Rihanna was your second choice after Weird Al, you mean. :colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

If there was sexual abuse and forced drugging, why is this a civil suit and not a criminal one? Jesus, if even half this stuff is true, this fucker ought to be in prison. :stare:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

New Taylor Swift video, and it's pretty dope.

The first half is your typical T-Swift video, and then it gets way better.

I like the song itself (easily T-Swift's best, IMO), but I'm not really feeling this video. The track has a really melancholy production and tone, but the video is just....kinda silly and undercuts the point of the song by being way too over-the-top. I mean, I get that the point of the song is "this relationship is almost certainly doomed, but it'll be a hell of a lot of fun while it lasts," but there's something to be said for subtlety.

Credit where it's due, the cinematography is really good and I may or may not have a bit of a crush (she's almost exactly my age, so there's a chance, right?)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Also the Blank Space video has people mouthing the lyrics but not an actual pen click and that is some bullshit if you ask me.

Oh, is that what that is supposed to be? I always thought it was that weird clicking sound you do with your tongue on the inside of your teeth. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it usually accompanies finger guns.

A pen makes a lot more sense, though.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hatter106 posted:

Can anyone enlighten me as to why "Uptown Funk" is credited to Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars, when Ronson mostly just wrote it?
I could understand Mars being listed as featured artist if it was a long dance song with some intermittent vocals, but the song basically doesn't work without vocals.
Is this setting a precedent for songwriters to take credit over lead vocalists?

Oftentimes it's just a contract thing, with the more famous/influential person of the two getting top billing regardless of relative contribution. Off the top of my head, We Found Love was Rihanna ft. Calvin Harris, but Turn Me On was David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj even though both songs were pretty much identical RE: singer vs. producer.

I have no idea how applicable this is to Uptown Funk tough, especially considering that there's no loving way Mark Ronson is more of a name than Bruno Mars. Maybe Bruno's agent is just really lovely.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

From a couple of pages ago, but this is starting to get some radio play and popped up on Pandora a couple of times today, so:

This is literally exactly the same song as Problem. I should preface that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old-school funky beat? Check.
Completely random male voice on the chorus with the main singer pretty much silent? Check.
Out of nowhere horn section? Check. (OK this part actually owns super hard and more songs need saxophones and trumpets)

Also Ariana is more mushmouthed than she's ever been, good Lord.

EDIT: fun drinking game: take a shot every time you see the right side of her face. You'll get a lot less drunk than you think.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 12, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Almost being the key word. Put a brassy horn section in every song. I won't complain.

I think it's making a minor comeback. Random top-40 songs I can think of in the past few years that had a brass or sax parts:

Mr. Saxobeat
Dancing in the Dark
Edge of Glory
Last Friday Night
Problem
Cheerleader
Can't Hold Us

Anyone have any more? I guarantee I'm forgetting a few pretty obvious ones. I'm explicitly NOT counting Jason Derulo's Trumpets, because that song blows super hard and it's inexcusable that with that name they didn't even try to find a real trumpet player and used the most obnoxiously fake synth setting.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something which I believe is pretty unusual nowadays happened in the British music charts this week - the new Elvis Presley album (some of his hits re-recorded with new backing from the Royal Philharmonic) stayed at number one... and increased its sales. That doesn't often happen these days, does it? I believe people were saying it was going to be between the new Little Mix and Ellie Goulding albums, which are at two and three, respectively.

The British pop charts are loving weird. The number-one single of 1972 was Amazing Grace as played by the British Army bagpipe corps.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, considering it's the only good christmas song in existence...yeah.

Christmas Wrapping would like a word with you.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Weird Al Yankovic. :colbert:

EDIT: With special guest appearance by Left Shark

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

the truth posted:

Isn't that obnoxious zealotry how she approaches and sells everything? Personally, I hope she was humbled by Artflop and puts the grandiose self-importance in a locked trunk then lights the car on fire.

Yeah, she puts a lot of effort into her image and appearance but she's a lazy as poo poo songwriter. "Just a second it's my favorite song they're gonna play/And I cannot text you with a drink in my hand, ay" might be the worst rhyme I've heard in the past decade.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Alvarez IV posted:

21 Pilots is trying to court the elusive adult baby audience. You can make a song about nostalgia, but you can't talk up how great early childhood was while complaining about paying bills. The former is targeted towards teenagers, the latter towards adults. That song does both and therefore neither. In addition, the music is to real depression what Linkin Park's sound is to fake depression.

Someone should make a song about how much adulthood actually owns. I could have ice cream for dinner and play video games ALL DAY if I want to, even the ones with the big scary M on the cover.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

How does this thread feel about Melanie Martinez? I guess some might find her shtick annoying, but her tracks generally seem to be of a pretty high quality.

I read this too fast as Martina Martinez.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Jesus christ she has terrible agents. I know it's been said before, but it can't be said enough.

Wasn't she performing at an airport or a strip mall or something last year?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Is Justin Timberlake not a thing in the UK? tbf Drake is beating him in the US too, so :iiam:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Nah T Swift is cool and good

1989 owned, but it so far it looks like she took by far the worst track on that album (Bad Blood) and decided "Yeah, I'm going to double down on this." I'm not gonna jump on the "lmao taylor swift always sucked tbh smh" train but holy cow this new direction is a real disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

There's also the Kanye-Taylor feud, where Kanye interrupted her VMA speech in 2009 (which was an rear end in a top hat thing to do) and then last year Taylor apparently lied about giving her blessing for a lyric of his (which was also an rear end in a top hat thing to do).

You'd think at this point they'd just call it even.