Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
How are we defining pop music here, exactly? Just a general discussion of whatever's charting right now?

I gotta say that I'm pretty happy about bands that would usually be unable to break out of the indie and alt charts showing up on ranking pretty well on Billboard's Hot 100. Stuff like Imagine Dragons, fun., and Gotye. As someone who doesn't particularly care for dance music and has a pretty limited palette for hip hop and R&B, the last few years of radio airplay have been kinda painful.

I'm particularly happy about Of Monsters and Men's "Little Talks" climbing up to 25, as the band's been a recent obsession of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Metal Loaf posted:

There's been much talk of a "boy band revival" but in actual fact it's more a case of One Direction becoming immensely popular while happening to be a boy band.

That's actually a really good point. I didn't realize they were a boy band until people were talking about them bringing boy bands back.

prahanormal posted:

I honestly didn't like Thrift Shop for a while, but after hearing "Same Love" by the same dude I wish that man all the success in the world.

I don't mind him in general. Thrift Shop is however, without competition, the worst song to gain any sort of popularity so far in 2013.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 15, 2013

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
It is definitely comedic song, but it's on the level of every member of The Lonely Island having a stroke and then preforming their show anyway. Also, all their beats were somehow replaced with the sound of dying cats.