Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fishylungs posted:

As Cobra Commander takes over America and frames the GI Joes for a crime they didn’t commit, as well as killing many of them, a small band of survivors work to save the world from Cobra conquest. Dwytne Johnson, a returning Channing Tatum and Ray Park, and Adrianne Palicki serve as the remains of GI Joe, as well as Bruce Willis who joins up as the Original G.I. Joe. Arnold Vosloo plays Zartan, masqurading as the President serving Cobra Commander. The movie was pushed back 9 months to allow them to expand Tatum’s role.

For what it's worth, this has been denied by Jon Chu, who says that the nine-month delay was for the sole purpose of doing a high-quality 3D conversion and that they only did a few days of pickup shots last year. He could be full of poo poo, of course, but the real story certainly isn't set in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teek posted:

Do we know what his contract includes? Was it just for IM 3 and the next Avengers? Also, while they could get RDJ, there's nothing exactly stopping them from just showing the armor in one of the post credits codas or something.

Avengers 2 is the last movie covered by his existing deal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Liar Lyre posted:

There are a fair number of effects heavy movies have small snippets like that where the build the scene from raw footage to stand in effects to the final product.

There's a feature-length documentary, like nearly an hour and a half long, on the Star Wars: Episode III DVD about how much work went into a 60-second sequence during the climactic lightsaber battle. It's pretty awesome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Supreme Allah posted:

I changed my mind, if they do Apocalypse they should get the cartoon guy back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

'I AM THE ROCK OF THE ETERNAL SHORE. CAST YOURSELF AGAINST ME, AND BE BROKEN.'

John Colicos has left us. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't Fox and Gavin Hood also reportedly butt heads on the themes and direction of Origins to the point that Fox flew Richard Donner out to the set to "assist" Hood?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tripwyre posted:

She was essentially the only remaining original cast member not to be coming back

Marsden and Janssen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tripwyre posted:

Well yes, but both of those characters are dead.

So is Stewart's Professor X.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Favreau is 99% of the reason we got RDJ. I'm fairly certain Adam loving Brody was in the running before Downey was tapped.

Favreau actually wanted to cast an unknown for Tony until RDJ blew him away with an audition.

teagone posted:

Wasn't he forced to do that though because the script wasn't finished, despite them already shooting scenes? Thought I read/heard that somewhere.

When they started shooting, only the first act (through Stark's escape from the cave) was locked down, everything else was up in the air. So, yeah, there was a lot of improv done. Jeff Bridges is on the record as saying that he and RDJ were working from scene outlines, and they'd sit down with Favreau and work out what the hell they were actually going to do.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 7, 2013

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The interesting thing about the Marvel movies is that, with only one exception, all of them have one act that falls flat on its face. Captain America and Iron Man 1 have terrible third acts, Iron Man 2 and Thor fall off a cliff in the second act and barely recover, and The Avengers takes forever to actually get going. The Incredible Hulk is the only one that's felt consistent throughout its running time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I actually think the Incredible Hulk's 3rd act is the weakest part too, or at least that the big final battle is the weakest of all the action setpieces. The chase through the favelas and Tim Roth vs. The Hulk are both wonderfully kinetic and interesting, the final battle is just two big CGI blobs wailing on each other. It's basically the same problem the Ang Lee Hulk had, although slightly less extreme.

I kind of see where you're going with that, and, yeah, it's a similar problem to Iron Man's final battle being two CGI metal men wailing on each other, but everything from Banner dropping out of the helicopter onward just has this visceral brutality that Favreau's action sequences never quite captured.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marvel and Whedon are on the record as recently as last week as saying that Hulk 2 is not in their plans.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tripwyre posted:

Thor was produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures. Disney had nothing to do with it.

Thor was released in 2011; Marvel Entertainment was acquired by Disney in 2009.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Raphael was cast in March.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tripwyre posted:

The Turtles look like they're being arrested in those photos, so of course Raph evades capture to break them out.

Also, Fichtner has the face to be great mo-cap for Splinter, though his voice doesn't strike me as a great fit for either Splinter or Shredder (and who else can be described as "a lead with iconic stature in Turtles mythology"?). He's probably Splinter.

Danny Woodburn is Splinter.

Not kidding.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pillowpants posted:

its not like Jeremy Renner was a small actor when he made that cameo in Thor

That being said, a couple of sites were reporting yesterday that Renner may be out of the Marvel picture, given that he isn't making appearances in Thor 2 or Captain America 2, and Disney / Marvel were apparently pissed at him for comments he made about The Avengers (he hated Hawkeye's arc in it).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DNS posted:

I enjoy The Last Stand a little bit more every time I catch it on TV. It's a bad good time.

I've said this before, but The Last Stand kind of works because Brett Ratner is aping the work of Singer and Newton Thomas Sigel so hard that it hurts. Because that's what Ratner does: He imitates someone else's style. The Family Man is him totally trying (and failing) to be Capra. Red Dragon is totally ripping off how Jonathan Demme shot The Silence of the Lambs. Tower Heist is him trying to do a Steven Soderbergh Ocean's Whatever heist film. So on and so forth.

So stylistically, The Last Stand works, generally speaking (Famke Janssen's makeup and costuming is beyond terrible). Plot- and structure-wise, it's a complete disaster.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

scary ghost dog posted:

Are you saying that The Last Stand works, generally speaking, because Brett Ratner is a hack?

The style works. In terms of its look and feel, it's congruent with Singer's films. Its script is a disaster.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

But that was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Thor barely had any real fish-out-of-water moments because he didn't care that he was a fish out of water.

In any other movie he would have reacted to "this is going on facebook, smile!" with "What?! WHAT IS THIS BOOK OF FACES?!"

Instead he doesn't know what she's talking about, but he doesn't care because he's Thor and isn't afraid. So just puts on a poo poo-eating grin and continues wolfing down his breakfast.

That part was fantastic.

The times when Thor really is out of his element, though, are gold. The "Son of Coul" line, and the scene in the pet shop rule on every conceivable level. Granted, they're bright spots in a second act that grinds to a halt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

Well so, maybe they reversed that decision now that they have a series of bona-fide hits on their hands so they are going to spend more of that money casting high profile names? I mean, it would be one thing if we were just speculating, but this is confirmed casting, so clearly these people are being offered a hefty pay check. Saying "in the past there have been small payouts" doesn't really mean anything unless you think Glen Close and Benicio are being blackmailed into this or something.

Johansson and Renner are apparently getting lowballed on their Avengers 2 offers and are pissed about it, so I don't think Marvel's getting more generous.

What I don't get is that despite being terrible to everyone not named Robert Downey, Jr., and it being an open secret in the industry (Favreau and Mickey Rourke were pissed after Iron Man 2), and being notorious for handing out small paydays, they manage to get big-name actors. It's not like Robert Redford needs the work, so what is he doing working for presumably peanuts on Captain America?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

I don't think they moved up production because of Superman, production was rushed because if they take too long between X-Men films the rights revert back to Marvel.

It absolutely wasn't that. As soon as Singer and WB announced that Superman Returns was coming out at the end of June, Tom Rothman at Fox got hellbent on rushing The Last Stand out by May. That aggressive schedule was what caused Vaughn to bail -- he wasn't at all happy with the script that Kinberg and Penn had written, and he wanted time to rewrite it or bring another writer in, but that would have pushed production past the July 2005 start date needed to make the May release window.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I loved the cowl in the first movie, where it was just a modified helmet. The revised one in The Avengers looked wicked goofy.

Yeah, that was just 31 flavors of stupid:

During the press buildup to Avengers, Evans actually said in an interview that he fought hard to use the First Avenger costume in The Avengers, but Whedon flat-out rejected the idea because he was so hellbent on Cap looking as comics-accurate as possible. And then we got that ... thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

I'm guessing she wasn't in much of the movie, maybe just a subplot to introduce her as setup for the next movie.

She was on the set for three days total, so she almost certainly didn't have more than three or four scenes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I sure am glad he's got that lightning bolt on his sleeve, just to remind us that he's Electro.

Also, at first glance I thought that nozzle was a nipple valve.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Most everything I've seen / heard about Days of Future Past has me pretty excited, but why the hell did Singer have to bring back John Ottman to do the score?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vin is probably Thanos in Avengers 2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I have zero interest in a grimdark Superman.

"It's not an 'S.' On my world, it means hope."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

How essential is Spawn's giant cape? Did it actually have a function or was it just artistic design?

Spawn's giant cape exists because Todd McFarlane is somehow incapable of drawing capes. (Look at the way he drew Batman, for heaven's sake.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Same with the rumors that they're filming in detroit despite having only announced the lead actor a few days ago.

The State of Michigan Film Office has confirmed that filming begins in Detroit in Q1 2014, so that isn't a rumor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They went back to the First Avenger costume instead of those horrible pajamas from The Avengers. Thank Christ.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A closer look at Magneto's Days of Future Past costume:

The bodysuit looks like the material they used for Brandon Routh's in Superman Returns.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

- The score meanders on. It's flat, does not dramatically rise, barely matches what is on screen - it's the opposite of rousing and getting your blood pumping as the action happens on screen.

I'll definitely grant you this. John Ottman is a loving terrible composer. He's a great editor, but his scores are beyond awful. His deficiencies are especially egregious when you listen to the amazing work that John Powell did with The Last Stand.

I generally like Singer as a director, but his reliance upon Ottman as both composer and editor is just baffling.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Party Boat posted:

And yet his X2 score is still better than Michael Kamen's ocean of blandness in the original film.

In Kamen's defense, he was a last-minute replacement for Ottman (who was originally set to score the original X-Men, but had to back out because he was busy doing everything on Urban Legends Final Cut). This is why Kamen's work was so derivative -- "Logan & Rogue," for example, is pretty much a direct lift from his Highlander overture.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

They're probably just internal for different takes on the script like how Batman Begins was Batman: Intimidation Game, etc. early in its life.

They certainly don't have eight different scripts going -- it was crazy enough when Fox had two different ones going for X2 and First Class. It's not uncommon for a studio's marketing department to register a bunch of domain names to ward off any potential domain squatters in the event of an early leak -- Paramount did the same thing with Star Trek Into Darkness, I think they had like a dozen different domains registered back in 2011 or so even though it was internally referred to as "Untitled Star Trek Sequel" until September 2012.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

New Cap 2 pics:

Oof, that is a rough-looking hairpiece they've got Evans wearing.

The MSJ posted:

New X-Men set picture

I have to say, I'm surprised that Hoult has been in so many set and promo photos thus far. It seems like Beast is going to have a pretty significant role in DoFP.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MortonTheCranium posted:

Wasn't Beast blue by then or did his blueness somehow get reversed?

First Class took place in 1962, while Days of Future Past is set in 1973; he's seen in the trailer in his blue furry state choking the life out of Magneto, but appearing normally in promo photos, so ... I don't know.

quote:

Could just be a set photo with Hoult being there without a scene.

There's a scene in the trailer, and a couple of promo shots, of Beast-as-human, Wolverine and Xavier approaching Cerebro. I presume Beast is the character who figures out that Wolverine is telling the truth about traveling back in time.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 30, 2013

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Captain America's Avengers uniform is one of the best comic to screen translations of a costume they've done so far. :colbert:

The new one looks as awful as the first film's. :ssh:

Just because it's a comic-to-screen translation doesn't make it good. :ssh:

The First Avenger costume was great. The Avengers outfit looks like a Rubie's Halloween costume.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

This ain't bad. Keep the dumb helmet off and show us Chris Evans' mug.

It's a really nice take on the Secret Avengers look, I agree. That hairpiece, though. Ouch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

berserker posted:

I'm going insane here for a GotG trailer. Super Bowl maybe?

Disney only has one spot locked up for the Super Bowl (which has been sold out for more than a month), so it'll be either Guardians or Captain America (or Need for Speed, to be fair). My money is on Captain America, though. The other known spots are Transformers 4 and Amazing Spider-Man 2. I'd be surprised if we don't see teasers for Days of Future Past and Godzilla, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

However flaky you might find Zack Snyder's films to be, he has always been spot on with casting his roles.

I don't necessarily know about that. I wasn't blown away by Cavill in Man of Steel, and Malin Åkerman was dreadful in Watchmen.

Snyder's casting is generally really solid, but every now and again he makes a choice that makes me go, "Huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dacap posted:

This is apparently the Leonardo and Shredder designs

Lord Zedd?

• Locked thread