Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
This thread is for discussion of all comic-based movie releases. DC, Marvel, what have you. Even things like Persepolis. You totally forgot about it, did you? :(

As with the last thread, everything is in order by release date and I’ll be rotating it as things come and go.

Bullet to the Head
February 1st, 2013

-Based off a French comic,

Wikipedia posted:

A hitman teams with a young Washington DC detective in a high-stakes investigation that leads from dingy back alleys all the way to the power corridors of New Orleans. The unlikely duo, brought together by two vicious murders, take on all who stand in their way, willing to sacrifice everything to exact revenge.

Director: Walter Hill
  • Sylvester Stallone as James Bonomo
  • Sung Kang as Taylor Kwon
  • Sarah Shahi as Lisa Bonomo
  • Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Robert Nkomo Morel
  • Jason Momoa as Keegan
  • Christian Slater as Marcus Baptiste
  • Jon Seda as Louis Blanchard
  • Holt McCallany as Hank Greely

Trailer

Iron Man 3
May 3, 2013

-The old cast from the first 2 return with Shane Black directing. The story is based off the “Extremis” story-line, where after a rash of deaths involving a nanotech “virus” (another super-soldier serum attempt), Tony is called in to help. Ben Kingsly serves as the villain behind an organization known as the “Ten Rings”, who have been in the previous 2 films supplying Vanko with what he needs to make his harness in Iron Man 2, and as the money behind the terrorists who attacked Stark in Iron Man 1. Shane Black said it’s less “two men in iron suits fighting”, and more “Tom Clancy thriller”. There’s also 0 focus on the rest of the Avengers crew, they may only get mentioned in passing but ultimately it’s an Iron Man (& friends) only show.

Director: Shane Black
  • Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
  • Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia “Pepper” Potts
  • Don Cheadle as James “Rhodey” Rhodes
  • Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan
  • Paul Bettany as the voice of JARVIS
  • Guy Pearce as Aldrich Killian
  • Rebecca Hall as Dr. Maya Hansen
  • James Badge Dale as Eric Savin
  • Ashley Hamilton as Jack Taggert
  • Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin

First trailer

GI Joe: Retaliation
March 29, 2013

As Cobra Commander takes over America and frames the GI Joes for a crime they didn’t commit, as well as killing many of them, a small band of survivors work to save the world from Cobra conquest. Dwytne Johnson, a returning Channing Tatum and Ray Park, and Adrianne Palicki serve as the remains of GI Joe, as well as Bruce Willis who joins up as the Original G.I. Joe. Arnold Vosloo plays Zartan, masqurading as the President serving Cobra Commander. The movie was pushed back 9 months to allow them to expand Tatum’s role.

Director: Jon M. Chu
  • Bruce Willis as General Joseph Colton
  • Dwayne Johnson as Roadblock
  • D.J. Cotrona as Flint
  • Lee Byung-hun as Storm Shadow
  • Adrianne Palicki as Lady Jaye
  • Ray Park as Snake Eyes
  • Ray Stevenson as Firefly
  • Channing Tatum as Duke
  • Arnold Vosloo as Zartan
  • RZA as Blind Master
  • Elodie Yung as Jinx
  • Joseph Mazzello as Mouse
  • Walton Goggins as Warden Nigel James

trailer

Oblivion
April 12th, 2013

Based on a graphic novel by Tron 2 director Joseph Kosinski, who is also directing this film.

Wikipedia posted:

2073, Commander Jack Harper is one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on an Earth destroyed by an alien invasion 60 years ago. [...] Currently living in huge airborne towns built in the skies from thousands of feet above, his soaring existence came crashing down when he rescues a female stranger from a downed spacecraft.

Director: Joseph Kosinski
  • Tom Cruise as Jack Harper
  • Olga Kurylenka as Julia Rusakova
  • Morgan Freeman as Malcolm Beech
  • Andrea Riseborough as Victoria Olsen.
  • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Sykes
  • Melissa Leo as Sally
  • Zoë Bell as Kara

Trailer

Man of Steel
June 14, 2013

-Henry Cavill is Superman! Zac Snyder is directing, while Nolan is producing. The story is, as most first superhero movies go, about his origin. The upside for most is that it seems to be examining it in a more modern light, as shown in the trailer with Clark’s father, played by Kevin Costner, says perhaps sacrifices are needed to keep Clark safe. We’ll get to see what makes Clark decide he has to be Superman, as he dukes it out with General Zod, another Kryptonian come to Earth.

Director: Zac Snyder
  • Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman
  • Amy Adams as Lois Lane
  • Michael Shannon as General Zod
  • Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent
  • Diane Lane as Martha Kent
  • Laurence Fishburne as Perry White
  • Russel Crowe as Jor-El

first trailer

Kick-rear end 2
June 28th, 2013

-Following the first movie, Kick-rear end inspires more people to become superheroes, but Red Mist seeks revenge by leading a team of supervillains against them. Jeff Wadlow is writing and directing.

Director: Jeff Wadlow
  • Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Dave Lizewski/Kick-rear end
  • Chloe Grace Moretz as Mindy Macready/Hit-Girl
  • Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Chris D’Amico/The Mother Fucker
  • Jim Carrey as Sal Bertolinni/Colonel Stars and Stripes
  • Donald Faison as Doctor Gravity
  • Lindy Booth as Night Bitch
  • Clark Duke as Marty Eisenberg/Battle Guy
  • Augustus Prew as Todd Hayners/rear end-Kicker
  • Olga Kurkulina as Mother Russia
  • Morris Chestnut as Marcus Williams
  • Lyndsey Fonseca as Katie Deauxma
  • Andy Nyman as The Tumor
  • John Leguizamo as Javier

R.I.P.D
July 19, 2013

-Nick Walker is a recently slain police officer who joins a team of dead police officers working for the RIPD, and attempting to solve his murder. Directed by Robert Schwentke, there really isn’t much to say on this.

Director: Robert Schwentke
  • Ryan Reynolds as Nick Cruz Walker
  • Jeff Bridges as Roy Powell
  • Kevin Bacon as Bobby Hayes
  • Mary-Louis Parker as Procter
  • Robert Knepper as Nawlicki
  • Stephanie Szostak as Julia Walker
  • James Hong as Grandpa Chen
  • Mike O’Malley as Elliot.
  • Devin Ratray as Pulaski

The Wolverine
July 26, 2013US

-The Wolverine follows Logan as he heads to Japan. Based on an acclaimed mini-series, Jackman pushed hard for them to go with it and also handpicked the direct, James Mangold. Chances are that it might actually be an ok movie.

Director: James Mangold
  • Hugh Jackman as Logan/Wolverine
  • Hiroyuki Sanada as Shingen Yashida
  • Tao Okamoto as Mariko Yashida
  • Rila Fukushima as Yukio
  • Will Yun Lee as Kenuichio Harada/The Silver Samurai
  • Svetlana Khodchenkova as Viper

RED 2
August 2nd, 2013

"Frank Moses and his motley crew of retired assassins return for a second outing." That's all I could find about the plot. If you've seen the first, it's probably more of that.

Director: Dean Parisot
  • Bruce Willis as Frank Moses
  • John Malkovich as Marvin Boggs
  • Mary-Louise Parker as Sarah Ross
  • Catherine Zeta-Jones as Miranda Wood
  • Anthony Hopkins as Edward Bradley
  • Helen Mirren as Victoria
  • Brian Cox as Ivan Simanov
  • David Thewlis as The Frog

300: Rise of an Empire
August 2nd, 2013

The Greek general Themistocles battles an invading army of Persians under the command of Xerxes, King of the Persians.

Director: Noam Murro
  • Eva Green as Aretemisia
  • Sullivan Stapleton as Themistocles
  • Rodrigo Santoro as Xerxes
  • Callan Mulvey as Scyllias
  • Jack O'Connell as Calisto
  • Lena Headey as Queen Gorgo of Sparta

2 Guns
August 16, 2013

An elaborate scam has a DEA agent and a Naval Intelligence Officer investigating one another in belief they are stealing money from the mob.

Director: Baltasar Kormákur
  • Mark Wahlberg as Stig
  • Denzel Washington as Bobby
  • Paula Patton as Deb
  • James Marsden as Quince
  • Bill Paxton as Earl
  • Edward James Olmos as Papi Grec

I, Frankenstein
September 13th, 2013

Frankenstein's monster, taking the name Adam Frankenstein, becomes involved in a war between two immortal clans.

Director: Stuart Beattie
  • Aaron Eckhart as Adam Frankenstein
  • Yvonne Strahovski as Terra
  • Aden Young as Dr. Victor Frankenstein
  • Deniz Akdeniz as Barachel
  • Virginie Le Brun as Elizabeth Frankenstein
  • Miranda Otto as Queen of the Gargoyles
    with
  • Bill Nighy

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
October 4th, 2013

Another collection of stories from Sin City, two of the four are original stories written by Frank Miller.
"A Dame to Kill For" - Dwight McCarthy is called by his former lover, Ava Lord, who wants his help to escape her abusive husband, billionaire Damien Lord.

"Just Another Saturday Night" - Marv regains consciousness on a highway overlooking the Projects, surrounded by dead young guys, unable to remember how he got there.

Untitled Original Story - Set after Hartigan's suicide at the end of That Yellow Bastard, Nancy tries to survive the remainder of the night.

"The Long Bad Night" - Johnny, a cocky gambler, disguises a darker mission to destroy the biggest villain in Sin City at his own game.

Directors: Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller
  • Josh Brolin as Dwight McCarthy
  • Jamie Chung as Miho
  • Rosario Dawson as Gail
  • Dennis Haysbert as Manute
  • Mickey Rourke as Marv
  • Jaime King as Goldie and Wendy
  • Bruce Willis as John Hartigan
  • Jessica Alba as Nancy Callahan
  • Michael Madsen as Bob
  • Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Johnny
    with
  • Clive Owen
  • Ray Liotta
  • Christopher Meloni
  • Crystal McCahill
  • Jeremy Piven
  • Juno Temple

Old Boy
October 11th, 2013

A remake of the South Korean film based off the Japanese manga. A man is kidnapped and held hostage for over a decade after being framed for his wife's murder. After being freed, he hunts down whoever is responsible for her death and his confinement.

Director: Spike Lee
  • Josh Brolin as Joe Doucett
  • Elizabeth Olsen as Marie
  • Sharlto Copley as Adrian Pryce
  • Linda Emond as Edwina Burke
  • Caitlin Dulany as Emma Pryce
    with
  • Samuel L. Jackson

Thor: The Dark World
November 8th, 2013

Thor must reunite with his friends from Earth to battle an evil threatening to plunge the universe into darkness.

Director: Alan Taylor
  • Chris Hemsworth as Thor
  • Natalie Portman as Jane Foster
  • Tom Hiddleston as Loki
  • Stellan Skarsgård as Dr. Erik Selvig
  • Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis
  • Idris Elba as Heimdall
  • Zachary Levi as Fandral
  • Tadanobu Asano as Hogun
  • Ray Stevenson as Volstagg
  • Jaime Alexander as Sif
  • Rene Russo as Frigga
  • Anthony Hopkins as Odin
  • Clive Russell as Tyr
  • Christoper Eccleston as Malekith the Accursed
  • Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Kurse

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
-The Russo brothers direct Chris Evans' return, along with Anthony Mackie joining as The Falcon. Samuel L Jackson, Scarlett Johansson and Colbie Smulders are also set to appear, along with Toby Jones from the previous Captain America film as Nazi/Hydra scientist Armin Zola. Frank Grillo will also be in as Crossbones. The story is based on both a fairly recent storyline from the comics, as well as including the story that introduced the first black superhero to comic books.
April 4, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
-Marc Webb and cast of the previous film return, along with Jamie Foxx as Electro, Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn, and Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane Watson.
May 2, 2014 Paul Giamiatti is in talks for the role of Rhino.

X-Men: Days of Future Past
-Based on an acclaimed storyline from the comics, Bryan Singer returns to direct. With him from the cast of X-Men: First Class, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, and Nicholas Hoult. Several members of the original X-Men trilogy are also turning up.So far Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, and Shawn Ashmore. Time travel is involved.
July 18, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy
-James Gunn is set to direct this film about a team of extraterrestrials fighting to protect the galaxy. They'll be squaring off with the villain of Avengers 2, who you saw a peek of at the end of Avengers.
August 1, 2014

Avengers 2
-Whedon has been working on the outline, in which all of the previous cast return to face the villain Thanos.
May 1, 2015

Ant-Man
-Post Avengers 2, Edgar Wright has been writing this on and off (along with Joe Cornish) for over 5 years. What the current script entails is unknown, but based on earlier versions it's said to be split between 2 Ant-man characters, Henry Pym as the creator and past Ant-Man, and Scott Lang as the Ant-Man of the present. Marvel Studio head Kevin Keige said while the movie will take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it's aiming to be a bit different from the rest of the Marvel films.
November 6, 2015

In The Works

The Adventures of Tintin 2
-Currently in the works, mo-cap shooting will be done some time in 2013, with a release date somewhere in 2015. Peter Jackson is directing.

Dr. Strange
-In addition to Ant Man, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige confirmed Dr. Strange was getting a push for a movie post Avengers 2.

Y: The Last Man
-Dan Trachtenberg is apparently set to direct. Script written by post-apocalyptic TV show Jericho writers Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia.

Ninja Turtles
-Based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Jonathan Liebesman is set to direct and filming is supposed to start April 2013.

Justice League
-Currently being written, though WB is hoping for a 2015 release.

Fantastic Four
-Fox is hoping to have a film done by March 6, 2015, but currently are just in the planning stages.

Dark Universe
-Working title for a DC supernatural film, Guillermo del Toro has been working on an outline and says he found the perfect screen-writer for the job. Other than that it's just in early development.

Big Hero 6
-It's the first planned animated Marvel/Disney film. Based off a team that's an homage to the different genre-heroes of Japan.

Links
The BSS Movie thread
The Man of Steel CineD thread
The Dredd thread
The BSS Animation thread
CineD Rules Thread

Past Comic Book Films of Note

Richard Donner Superman: Superman, Superman 2
-Regarded as classics of the genre, Superman 2 is said to best be watched as "The Richard Donner cut"
Tim Bruton Batman: Batman, Batman Returns
-The first made in 1989, it included darker elements than the previous Adam West version or the Superman films.
Blade
Sam Raimi Spider-man: Spider-man, Spider-man 2, Spider-man 3
Bryan Singer X-men: X-men, X-men 2
-These three are credited for opening the gates for the boom in modern comic book movie adaption.
Christopher Nolan Batman Triolgy: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises
-Takes a more serious tone than comic book movies before it, with the downside of some producers thinking things need to be "grittier".
The Marvel Cinematic Universe: Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Avengers
-Credited for working to build a cohesive cross-film universe, much like it's inky originators.
Persepolis
-An impressive, award-winning foreign film that shows you don't need punching to make an amazing comic movie.

---

If I've missed anything, let me know!

Fishylungs fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

He is. Heavily marketed movies don't get delayed like that for 'high-quality' 3d conversion.

Especially since when they announced it, a million dollars worth of merchandise was already out on shelves.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Armani posted:

Speed Racer, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, Cowboys Versus Aliens, and Dredd!

Edit: A History of Violence counts too, right? And Whiteout but I saw neither of these. I saw 30 Days of Night but I shortly blacked out afterwards

Speed Racer isn't a comic movie, it's the same reason Pacific Rim isn't listed. I pulled the ones I listed from discussions from the previous thread about the history of comic book movies. Except Persepolis which I picked for it's uniqueness set against every else listed in the OP; It's a foreign animated autobiography.

Not to say I would shoot down any film people would want listed in the OP, discussion of past comic movies is what I was hoping to encourage.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Presumably the role is for Sharon Carter who is a SHEILD agent in the comics, which is double bad because she's supposed to be sort of action-y. Hopefully the director and the fact it's a different order than being on a tv drama might get her to act/emote?

Emilia Clarke or Alison Brie would have been really fun though. :(

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
It would make for a spectacularly nonsensical movie too, considering they're sort of set Banner up as not being as out-of-control as Hulk was in the comics when they decided to launch him into space. I mean it's feasible they work around it and just get him off-planet some other way, but then you can't really do World War Hulk because, why come back to harass Earth if it wasn't anyone's fault?

Also, last I heard they were going to do World War Hulk as an animated DTV movie, but I haven't heard anything on the Marvel DTV front in a long while.

Fishylungs fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 4, 2013

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

teagone posted:

I'm amused that some people think this notion of revealing Bane's actions were a result of his absolute/unconditional loyalty and love to Talia turns the him into a lowly henchmen or lapdog and that everything he did was undercut as a result. It really doesn't. That's like saying everything Darth Vader did in the original Star Wars trilogy didn't mean poo poo because it was at the bidding of the emperor.

I think the thing that does undercut it though is that it's a last-second reveal. "Oh, you thought I was in charge? NOPE!" I mean, I'm not sure how you'd craft it well around what's already a dense story, but just some sort of hint at the fact he's second-in-command might help. You right that it doesn't really make Bane himself less of a character. But I think ultimately the density of the story is what really brings it down.

But on a less well-trodden note, I rewatched Sin City the other day, and it's as good as the first time I watched it. I'm hoping Sin City 2 does right by it.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Yea! Dinklage is a great actor so there's no way he'll do bad no matter who they cast.

My crazy theory: Mojo!

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Gotta say, I like it more than the main one.

And while it's kind of a bummer with X-men, at the same time maybe they'll be doing something awesome with the story.

On another note I finally saw Dredd. Really cool, and terrible there's not going to be a sequel.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I dig the new poster for IM3, and I assume all the other Iron dudes are part of all the armors he worked on since The Avengers. And while it would stink if it was all "dark" and "gritty" like the last Batman, I doubt they'd do that. But it does seem they're trying to sell a sadder, more alone Stark. Which I mean if you consider the fact in the Marvel U he's pretty much billed the smartest guy on the planet, it seems like when he popped into space to save everyone actually facing the idea of alien life freaked him out. Especially since they have fancier toys than him.

Chris Cooper just got cast as Norman Osborn. I'm hoping like Garfield, Cooper satisfies me more than Dafoe did. Though I don't know if I want him to actually act the part, or just be the bad guy from The Muppets again, only fighting Spider-man.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Sarcastro posted:

Just give him a quick musical number of equal quality and I'm all set.

You know, despite initially being really jazzed for the musical, I never heard a thing from it. I wonder if any of the songs from that would fit the bill.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
They've also posted an interview with RDJ regarding playing Tony Stark for a 4th time, and Shane Black and Kevin Feige also did an interview. It's got minor spoilers, but I think it's pretty cool that The Mandarin is aparently a media-savvy supervillain terrorist.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm about to drop another one on ya - try to watch Iron Man 1 now. It does not hold up.

It surprises me that people hold it in such a higher regard to IM2. Tony gets kidnapped, escapes, a lot of nothing involving building a suit happens, and then Jeff Bridges decides to tell Stark he's hated him this entire time. It's a gently caress-load of fun, but IM2 has more meat to it's story. Even if there's a big stinky wedge of SHIELD in it.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Man, Strucker or Dell Rusk would both work for me. The real question is how quick will people catch on to Dell Rusk's name?

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

degauss posted:

Has anyone else here seen the Item 47 Marvel One-Shot? Back when Agents of SHIELD (no, gently caress you, I'm not putting in all those dots) was first announced, I really assumed it was going to be about Lizzy Caplan and Jesse Bradford's characters from that. Which I would be stoked about, I will watch anything with Lizzy Caplan and anything Marvel. I would double watch it.

I swear I thought that they were going to originally be in it. Aside from the public revelation of superheroes, you also have alien tech scattered about for any 2 bit crook to pick up and become Paste Pot Pete, which is another thing the short was supposed to set up.

I am sort of hoping the show will be willing to at least occasionally run with the insane idea of super villains with terrible gimmicks. But maybe it's just me who wants to see a bunch of fairly serious agents fight some jackass wielding remote controlled boomerangs.

Because as eye-rolling inducing as that idea is, there are actual people kicking around in the world who'd think that'd be a great idea.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
If they were ice cream, Dark Knight would be a deliciously amazing fancy artisan ice cream. Avengers would be tasty soft-serve with everything you love on it. Dark Knight is a richer experience, Avengers is a blast and isn't any less of a movie for it.

Ultimately, both films encapsulate well what their comic counterparts feel like. Avengers has more levity, Dark Knight runs a bit cooler. Of course if you really don't actually WANT to see either of them, then don't. But from the sound of things you might prefer Dark Knight, since it'll run closer to what Superman looks like it'll be.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Meowbot posted:

I haven't seen any of the Marvel movies except for the Hulk, and Iron Man so I don't know if I should watch Thor first or any of the other ones? Honestly, my boss always talks like Bane and I don't "get it" whereas everyone else laughs, so maybe I should just watch Batman.

Man, I don't think it's going to get any funnier if you watch it. Here I though you were talking about just the Dark Knight, if you're talking about Rises it's good, but not the best. Then I'd just straight-up recommend Avengers over it because you're not getting anything different that the first two didn't give you, except the conclusion to Nolan's Batman story.

BrianWilly posted:

I'd say Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk are all but completely unnecessary in order to watch Avengers. And of the three remaining, Captain America is the least necessary.

I like the Marvel movies, and I'd say if you have a basic understand of everyone's origins (and know that Loki appeared to die at the end of Thor [but really you know he didn't]), or even if you don't, you can just go right to the Avengers if you don't actually WANT to see any of the other movies. jivjov is right though, they at least can be fun.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I still don't get how "Howard Stark turns out to be a prick" would somehow make the movie better.

But then I find Iron Man 2 to have the best villains who get to be the least menacing. Honestly the Shield stuff would have been better as a big end-credits too, but I guess they needed something to go from "Rhodey crashes Tony's dangerous party" to "Tony saves himself from dying"

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

Well for one thing it would really strengthen Vanko as a villain. As it stands, his motivation is vengeance for crimes committed against his father by Howard Stark, but we learn that those crimes were never committed and it was in fact Vanko's father who was the criminal while Howard was the victim. That can work fine, except Vanko himself is never confronted with the truth before Tony kills him. There is a way to make great drama out of either Tony or Vanko being deceived by their fathers about their legacy, but instead they went with a less effective half-measure.

It's the second I read this it clicked. Vanko picks a fight with Tony, and instead of murdering the guy Tony reaching out to him would probably be a better ending to the whole thing.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Darko posted:

No one in Avengers acted anything like they did in their own movies except perhaps Tony Stark.

It's weird you say that because on the one hand you have a bit of a point, and on the other, this is post all the other movies.

Thor's not reckless and mystified by the human world because he's been there before and he's been tasked by Odin to get Loki, which is probably the first job he's been given since Odin cast him out.

Cap's had decades pass since he was last conscious.

And, well, "I can't control becoming the Hulk!", aside from being reigned in at the end of his last movie, isn't always that interesting of a beat. Especially if that was really the entirety of the previous movie.

The Hulk I feel might be a bit of a stretch, but I'd like to think I'm not reaching with the other two.

On a different note, I sort of just realized Cap doesn't always seem to be brimming with confidence, while his comic counterpart seems to be overflowing with it. I'm sort of hoping it's something they address in Cap 2, so that when Avengers 2 comes around he'll solidly be that commanding voice like he was at the tail-end of Avengers. It clicked really well with me, especially after his character seemed to intentionally be riding back seat to everyone throughout.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
In actual comic news, instead of weird arguments, Ronan the Accuser is rumored to be the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy. There's also a bit in the article about Rhino, but it's not that interesting?

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Like I said elsewhere, the movie must be loving horrible if it needs a year to retool.

They didn't actually start any work on it until something like.... December? And I know the first didn't need a ton of time to do film/effects, but under a year is probably not realistic.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
It strikes me as funny that for all the past Marvel movies people have complained about the themes being way too weak, and we finally get a movie where the themes are still pretty strong (but not so blatant as to be insulting) and people still don't see it.

One of the major arcs, which is a thread it picks up from the Avengers, is that Tony doesn't really NEED the armor, it's a crutch, to the point making new armors was all he was doing in 3 because of what happened in the Avengers. He didn't feel like Tony was enough, he had to be Iron Man or what good was he? 3 is him letting that go.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Vin Diesel could play so many different characters it's not even funny. Have him be someone like Captain Marvel, or Ares, or Black Knight, or something. Give a lesser known character some cred.

I would love him as Ares. Like recent, Dark Avengers-era Ares.

Ah, a Marvel Father-son flick were Vin Diesel goes around murdering gods!

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I would just like to remind everyone that there have been people bitching that the ASM2 Spider-suit is just rehashing the Raimi spider-suit. They are wrong, obviously, but I think this picture lets us appreciate how wrong.

Also I dig the detail of Electo's hosed up ear. I'm hoping we get some Rhino shots soon.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Halle Berry phoned it in but so did a lot of people. There are only like 3 standouts in X-Men

Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman... Anna Paquin? I don't feel like she did a bad job.

Though I think yea, everyone else just went through the motions.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Did Marvel's panel cover anything about the Shield TV show they have coming up?

The only thing I've heard about is Colbie Smulders is going to do a couple guest spots, and possibly join the main cast next season (if they get a next season. Which I'm sure they will).

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

This would not be a good choice for Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne should not be played by pretty boys, but by rugged men I feel.

Nothing about Bruce Wayne outside of Dark Knight Returns says "rugged" to me. He's a rich playboy, totally the pretty boy type. Hell, none of the actors who've played him qualify as "rugged". I'd think Ackles would actually be a pretty good Batman. On Supenatural he does play "unlikable but likeable" well, and I think that fits Batman and Bruce. All he'd have to do is not play Batman as cocky.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

massive spider posted:

X3 is a movie packed with with anticlimaxes, its seriously so goddamn committed to undercutting itself at every turn.

Cyclops dies offscreen.
Sentinals are in it but its a simulation.
Angel's introduced and has basically no plot purpose.
Magneto loses his powers but not really.
Professor Xavier dies but not really.
We get a big all out mutant war where the enemy mutants powers are to run at the heroes and try to punch them.
We get a mutant cure and yay, I guess the problem wasnt humanities bigotry after all. It was those darn evil mutants.

Angel was hilariously pointless. He saved his dad, in pretty much a totally unrelated plot to the rest of the movie. Like imagine Angel and all his scenes not being in the movie at all, you lose nothing. I can't think of anything more pointless.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We don't need a Spawn remake since The Cape already exists.

Yea I think I'd prefer a The Cape movie. It was hilarious and bad. As opposed to late season Heroes which was hilariously bad. Or Spawn which is just bad.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I find it hard to believe anybody who's actually watched an episode of GoT thinks Dinklage doesn't have a commanding screen presence.

Hell, he rocked it on 30 Rock, and that's just one episode in a network comedy show. (albeit, really, one of the good ones) Even the people who don't like GoT have to admit he's good, right?

Though the upside is this thread is now prompting me to watch The Station Agent, because Dinklage is easily the man.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Those sentinels look retarded. Their aversion to the original design (which kicks rear end) is ridiculous. Like whyyyy do you need to change that. Is it just something against big purple things that make filmmakers go "change it to something dumb" (see: Galactus)

I can understand why they'd change it. The comic sentinels can veer a little towards the Iron Man design. on the up side, at least they didn't go with the anime mech design they had a couple years back.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Doflamingo posted:

Wait, so this is basically ANOTHER Wolverine film? I like Jackman and all but talk about overkill..

It's not overkill until we get a 90% Wolverine Exiles movie. Bonus point, one of them can be Aussie Wolverine.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah, my favorite part of the first one (really, one of the only things I liked about it) was how colorful and eye-popping the Asgard scenes were. This one looks really drab and grey by comparison.

A lot of the shots in the trailer seem to take place in the Asgardian jail, London, and the titular dark world of the dark elves. It doesn't seem too far fetched that those would look different than pretty pretty Asgard. The worst we'll get is a great looking movie that's otherwise pretty okay. I'm excited because it looks like everyone else will get a bit more time to shine.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I guess I'm weird because I'd rather see them deal with trolls and dwarves. :shobon: I think the dark elves are shaping up to be neat from what we've seen (which is little, but I think works for the idea of "an evil none of us ever really have seen before").

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Just because you can come up with a reason that it's supposed to look dull as dishwater does not mean it doesn't look dull as dishwater.

"Drab and grey" and "dull as dishwater" sort of have different connotations for me. I don't think it looks dull, muted yes, but not dull.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Those are established moneymaker characters anyway. Some studio exec is going raise questions about how they're going to get middle America to see a no-name character featuring a no-name actor.

Right now? You slap "Marvel" on it. And "From the creator of Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz".

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Jesus, you can barely even tell that's Christopher Eccleston under all of that.

Also his eyes look really stupid.

They look photoshopped after the fact.

As for Affleck as Batman, I don't mind it! Really I'm open to different Batman simply because I'm not that attached to the character.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Gatts posted:

Two weeks might be enough but maybe this is a lower budget film with lower expectations?

If I recall right, that was actually what Wright talked about when it was first announced a couple years back. He said it wouldn't be terribly expensive, which I think was a big point at the time for Marvel to say "sure, go ahead!" since this was before they had that sweet sweet Disney money. Checking, Scott Pilgrim was his most expensive movie at $90 million, while the cheapest Marvel movies are $140 million, which are Thor and Captain America.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

quote:

Ominously The Avengers can be seen as ideologically not just glorifying existing U.S. wars but helping to prepare the country for the next World War.

Right, I stopped reading after this. It set off the same thing in my head that gets me to stop reading articles about Lady Gaga working for the Illuminati or the government doing 9/11. I like the Avengers but I do think it's beyond Whedon to suddenly and inexplicably cram in pro-military pro-war don't-question-authority themes that he's never given any indication of believing in before.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Hank Pym is kind of bad at everything.

Where most men would say "Why?" Hank Pym asks "Why not?"

(the answer is because it will inevitably want to murder you)

jscolon2.0 posted:

My guess is like Loki having the Mind Gem, Ultron will also have one of the Infinity Gems, and it's to further setup Avengers 3.

I'm hoping then that instead of Stark "making" Ultron, someone just jacks one of his suits and crams the red power gem in there.

Then I also hope it means they'll pull the trigger on a Dr. Strange movie, just so we can watch him get the SS mantel and the soul gem, then have it snatched away at the start of A3.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Remember when everyone said Iron Man was boring and wondered why they were making a movie about him? The source material quality is not really an indicator of the finished movie product.

Not only that, it's someone who makes pretty good movies who went to Marvel and said "Hey, can I make an Ant-Man movie for you guys? That sounds like fun!" And if Scott Pilgrim is the worst he can do, we're going to have at least a good movie on our hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Rhyno posted:

But it's not H4H, they say Cage and IF get their own shows and then it's a Defenders mini at the end.

Which means we're getting Dr. Strange one way or another! I'm super excited for this whole thing! And it would be amazing if it lead to a Heroes for Hire show.

• Locked thread