Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

You've got the release date order wrong up top, Man of Steel is out in June and you've placed it before releases in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Didn't see this mentioned. I'm not a comic reader so I have no idea if she's "right" for the part...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-captain-america-sequel-has-found-its-female-le,91933/

Emily VanCamp is the new romantic interest for Captain America. This after considering Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) and Alison Brie (of Alison Brie fame) among others. I haven't seen her in anything but Revenge, but it's my opinion that she is one of the most lifeless, bland, charisma-free actors I've ever seen. She's just there.

Well presumably they screen tested her along side Chris and it's perfectly possible that she had better chemistry with him which might be something the other two lacked. Also, it might well be a scheduling issue with Emilia, who I imagine is kept busier by Game of Thrones than Emily is by Revenge, and while I love Alison Brie she is very much untested in a role of this type.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

And The Rock being Drax.

I love the fact Christ Pratt got Star Lord, it fits him perfectly as long as he loses some weight.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, it's sounding to me like Pepper in Iron Man 3 wears an armor to escape the mansion destruction, which delays Tony in escaping because he has to suit her up. Then she gets captured and rather than getting to wear a suit again gets Extremis, which in this version of the storyline is basically a nano-tech version of the super soldier serum.

I know the above is speculation, but it's incorporated some pretty big spoilers from various sources, so I thought I'd play it safe for folks.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Is that where the infamous condom full of "diamonds" picture comes from?

What the gently caress is this?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Didn't we already discover a cure for mutations in X-Men 3?

Also the trailer looked passable until the ridiculous looking bullet train fight started, and that just looks dumb.

Not what I expected, and doesn't seem at all like what they have been trying to advertise up until now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yannick_B posted:

Captain America is not an identity, its a symbol.

This is actually one of the things I've liked about the Marvel universe so far - very few secret identity story lines to drag things down.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Thor 2 trailer:

That looks really good, and ending with some Tom Hiddleston only increases my excitement.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Terrible Horse posted:

That sounds like a groaner.

Yeah, what does he do? Make a big grand entrance in the final fight and then realize he left the oven on so swings home after his cameo?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Why would anyone even want to see the cluster gently caress that is the X-Men movie universe or the tonally incompatible Spider-man universe co-exist with each other/Marvel's venture?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Hiddleston apparently loved Kid Loki. I don't think there would be any child actor that could pull it off. Just give Kid Loki's personality to Hiddleston and I bet he can pull it off.

I think eventually they are going to tackle a redemption arc for Loki and using the Kid Loki plot, but maintaining Tom Hiddleston (the main reason I watch the Marvel films) would be a really good idea for it - it's suitably cosmic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

mfaley posted:

Whether that is worth however much Marvel would have to pay to make that happen is anyone's guess. But it's probably not worth it.

It isn't. Honestly, I don't think Marvel give a poo poo about sharing a universe with a Spider-man who isn't their own creation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Isn't Guardian's out next year? Given the amount of post-production sure to be involved and the fact they are still writing the script/casting major roles it feels like they are running a little behind.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Oh cool, Avengers level directing on network TV. Glad to see it's back where it belongs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Speleothing posted:

CGI, I'm sure.

Nope. Practical effects are much more expensive these days for a lot of things.

Besides, design wise they might want to do something with the elbow that wouldn't be possible with practical effects given that it has to fit over a real human arm.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

And needs to start filming really soon if its really going to be out next year.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Blind Azathoth posted:

I tried to keep this in mind while reading the last issue, but then in the letters section they mention the current artist is going in to talk with James Gunn about costume designs...

This film is meant to be out by next year. It's meant to film and achieved all of it's post-production, 3D included, by next year...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

No goofier than the Iron Man suit.

Considerably more goofy than the Iron Man suit. The original design is pretty loving lovely looking, like a big, angry (and somehow gayer) C3PO.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Wolverine is in X-Force at some point, right? I wonder if he will be made the leader of the movie X-Force instead of Cable, thus making it another Wolverine-focused X-film. That said, looking at how things are, maybe they'll just go the Ultimate route and make Hugh Jackman both Cable and Wolverine.

Hasn't it already been confirmed that it's Hugh Jackman who goes back in time in this film, and that's he is pretty much the main character?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Then why is Bishop in the movie? I thought they were going that route? Since he otherwise wouldn't belong in a Days of the Future Past adaption.

http://www.slashfilm.com/x-men-days-of-future-past-footage-description-wolverine-travels-back-in-time/

That article confirms it's Wolverine that goes back in time, it's pretty much his movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Doflamingo posted:

Wait, so this is basically ANOTHER Wolverine film? I like Jackman and all but talk about overkill..

Yep. I would've preferred a First Class sequel, but I guess once Singer got involved he couldn't resist playing with his toys instead.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Then again, the movie may be terrible but I just don't see how one could go "First Class was awesome so let's go ahead and give Michael Fassbender LESS screen time"

Well they could always hire a Director who has his own vision for the franchise and seems a little bitter about the direction it took so wants to basically set the record straight rather than tell a fitting sequel story.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Electromax posted:

My read on that trailer was that the old cast (future) are going to be the frame story, but the majority of the film will be with the new cast and serve mostly as First Class 2 with Wolverine. I don't really see it as a Wolverine movie so much as him serving as the common bridge since he doesn't have a 'younger' self the same way everyone else does.

Which still isn't really First Class 2 has it doesn't follow on from any of the theme's or plot thread's set up in that movie, it's just a sudden Wolverine cameo here to tell us how badly the future is going - despite us never seeing that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Guardians of The Galaxy set photos from London:

Oh no.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

People bitched when the alien scenes in Green Lantern were 2/3rds of Ryan Reynolds' head floating around CGI monsters and how much better it would be with practical effects, and now they're gonna complain about actual practical-effect aliens too aren't they? :ughh:

Maybe they will bitch about humans in weird clothing being a loving uninspired practical effect instead. You never know.

Two aliens in prosthetics = cool.

Humans with silly skin colors or clothes = stupid.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

What I don't understand about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch appearing in the Avengers is how they will add anything to the Marvel cinematic universe beyond cameo appearances. The Avengers, despite it's flaws, was pretty good at paying off story lines, but these two really feel like they have come from nowhere and don't really belong.

To be honest though, after the conclusion of the first, the entire Ultron storyline doesn't seem to fit in either right now.

I don't know, it feels less like this phase is building towards something and more like The Avengers movies have become just another one of the regular films, rather than a end chapter. I don't think the subtitle helps, rather than numerical titling.

Does anyone else agree with that?

It's the same problem I have with Man of Steel 2 - the direction they are taking it just doesn't feel organic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

As well, everyone said the same thing when Tom Hardy was cast as Bane yet the dude bulked up for the role.

Tom Hardy was well known for playing Bronson, I'm fairly sure no one was wondering how he'd possibly bulk up for the role but rather were complaining he wouldn't look like his silly over sized design in the comics.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Affleck is rumored to be signed on for 18 films.

God, I hope he got them to agree to fund his directing for the next few decades as additional payment for having to appear in that much poo poo for that long of a time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Maybe it will all tie together in the end but I don't understand how Thanos, Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and the already established Avengers fit into a single film together, unless they drop Thanos and keep him as a sequel villain, in which case I feel like Ultron is just a distraction from the plot momentum built up in Avengers/Guardians.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Thanos being the villain of a film which doesn't really tie into the Avengers at all, especially given the ending of the latter, would also be a really weird story choice.

I kind of feel like Ultron would be a much better Avengers 3 villain, bringing the franchise back down to a more Earthly focus after Guardians has had a proper chance to spin-off into its own thing.

As it stands I really don't see how Ultron is going to work here, especially when he also has to share screen time with two brand new Avengers who introduce a new concept to MCU - registered gifteds.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So maybe Tony makes Ultron to defend against Thanos (though at the time Tony might only know there is a bigger threat coming) but ultimately it goes wrong seems like a reasonable idea of the direction the film might take?

In which case, how would Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver fit in?

Mutants seem kind of out of the blue.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The Lucas Lee fight would beg to differ.

Nope, he's right. The high five in the background is the only part of the film I remember fondly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Exciting news for two reasons - one, she's much better than Drew Goddard, who might be the most bland writer ever - and two, we get to see all the comic book fans wet their panties in fear.

"T-t-t-twilight?"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm one of the people who thinks Gadot's look is wrong for the role (more importantly her lovely acting is wrong for the role, though) and her tits never entered into it for me. The fact that she looks like she'd blow away in a strong wind is more my concern.

Well normal people, unlike comic book nerds, have no problem putting on muscle in the right conditions, so I'm sure she will be fine for the role.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

teagone posted:

As slender as she is now, her body frame isn't all that small:

I'm surprised you didn't take this as another opportunity to post about that girl you wish had got the role.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

redshirt posted:

Where does Cap gain his tactical genius? From the super solider serum?

He never got any tactical training, did he?

In the comic books he's actually a mutant (like the X-Men) whose ability is omnipresence. He doesn't know he has the ability until the Super Soldier Serum boost it in him though its hinted the entire reason he went to the World Fair that night is because he's ability guided him there.

Then, in Issue #112 of The New Captain America its revealed that his second mutant ability is actually a natural immunity to the vacuum of space, which is how he becomes Captain Interstellar for the remainder of the books run, only a further 13 issues, but in those 13 issues he does join The Cloaked War and manages to defeat The Universary using his knowledge of every move he'll make.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Oh. Well, got me.

It's okay, the fact anyone believed it proves that you were right - comic books are weird.

I wasn't joking about in a mean way, just to see how far the plausibility of nonsense plots could be taken. I'm pretty proud of the villain name though; Universary.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

What about the part where he goes behind enemy lines, rescues the soldiers, then the ACTION MONTAGE starts where he leads the men and military to success against Hydra?

He's never shown to be leading them, just to be part of a squad - the implication is actually that Tommy Lee Jones is the one doing all of the tactical thinking and planning.

The only hint in the film we actually get that Captain America is naturally inclined to strategy is when he accurate recalls the locations of the Hydra bases from a quick glance at a map but seeing as photographic memory is a common place ability in protagonist these days it doesn't come across on-screen as an especially impressive ability.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

No, actually that is a good point. I guess the movies didn't convey his prowess very well. It does make sense that while he can lead a unit the warfare strategy comes from command.

That aside he's still the most qualified of the Avengers to give strategic advice, so it's all good.

If anything Captain America suffers in the Avengers not because he's shown to be under powered but because Black Widow and Hawk Eye are shown to be over powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dexo posted:

Thor going to handle the Hulk makes sense in the movie because power wise Thor is the only one who can hang with him.

TOP TRUMPS!

• Locked thread