Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Dacap posted:

Some GOTG casting rumors, including H. Jon Benjamin as Rocket Raccoon and The Rock as Drax

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...h/news/?a=73443

MY GOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

The only dramatic work I've ever seen Alison Brie in is Mad Men, and she's the funniest character on the show that isn't Betty or Roger.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

teagone posted:

I'm amused that some people think this notion of revealing Bane's actions were a result of his absolute/unconditional loyalty and love to Talia turns the him into a lowly henchmen or lapdog and that everything he did was undercut as a result. It really doesn't. That's like saying everything Darth Vader did in the original Star Wars trilogy didn't mean poo poo because it was at the bidding of the emperor.

It's because the Emperor was an evil space wizard and Talia was a girl.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Oh my god, there is nothing about Peter Dinklage being the antagonist in an X-Men move that doesn't sound awesome.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Games of Thrones is setting careers on fire I guess. It's a really good show but I don't understand the hype.

It's basically a costumed political drama/actor's showcase/tits, dragons, and zombies. It really isn't that complicated.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Play the lead in a movie.

LA Confidential?

Though he was a co-lead in that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ravenous and The Proposition.

Yeah, pretty much.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

This weirdo.

Although I haven't seen it since high school and I have no idea if I would like it more now.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I used to think Garden State was really bad, then I saw Elizabethtown.

Ye gods.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Donnie Darko is good, but it can never be as amazing as Southland Tales.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Darko posted:

The worst memory I have of Garden State is that I was taking film classes at the time, and 90% of the final projects had music from that soundtrack playing over them. So, not only can I not stand the movie, i also associate it with a bunch of bad student films on top of that.

Cause BLUE EYYYYYEEEEESSSSSS, You're all that I need

:v:

It is pretty funny that the Garden State soundtrack won a Grammy.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

penismightier posted:

Agreed. Between the Iron Mans and Hulk, Marvel keeps making the same mistake of having their big final fight take place at night. It's nice in theory - oooh darkness, plus it makes the effects easier - but in practice it's the same dull plodding visually uninteresting mess.

The Avengers' climax was slightly more visually interesting, though it was hampered by intercutting the more interesting VFX shots with Whedon's direction.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Also is there some movie where Idris Elba really impressed people with his performance? I can't say he's every really stood out to me in any role I can remember seeing him in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDB9R2_Jk4

His talent for accents is really something else.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Notice that in the credits of Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises, Christian Bale is never credited as Batman.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

That logo is incredible.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

People bitched about the constant dutch angles in Thor, but at least that was something memorable.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Neowyrm posted:

Is.... is that it?

If you're asking if there's anything to life if a bunch of nerds are talking about how a woman should specifically change herself physically for a comic book movie, I've been asking that question myself.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Nothing will every top Insurrection's phaser bazooka.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hahaha yeeeeeessssssss please tell me that's forreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX-SYhzfaf0

It's pretty amazing.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Holy poo poo

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I can think that most comic book fans are losers but also that an actor calling people who rightfully bailed on his bad show, "losers", is dumb as gently caress.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

John Carter is a movie with actors, special effects, sound, and music.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Man of Steel was in no way a light-hearted film, but calling it gritty is beyond laughable.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Fun is such a nebulous term when it comes to describing something that it's really not worth using.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Only Cinema loving Discusso would ever call "fun" a nebulous term that doesn't describe something.

That was badly phrased on my part. Let's say instead that in terms of critical evaluation and not audience engagement, fun is useless as a descriptor.

That might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater though.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Amusing, maybe. Enjoyable is a comparable term but not interchangeably so. In the English language these are three words that mean three different things and people often use these terms to describe various different things and we understand what we say when we say those things to each other because this is not the literal first time we've ever exchanged vernacular with another human being.

Even a term so broadly biased still doesn't mean anything you want it to mean. Calling 12 Years a Slave enjoyable is understandable depending on how you clarify that experience. Call it "fun" or "amusing" and you'll get weird looks from other English-speaking peoples no matter how you qualify it because "subjective" is not a synonym for "meaningless."

"What does the term fun describe?" C'mon, y'all.

It's only a sticking point because fun doesn't really enter the discussion in terms of critical analysis. It's an indicator of personal engagement with a film, not a way to evaluate it.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

greatn posted:

Bret Ratner just makes hits. Now I heard there's a certain Marvel movie in need of a director guys.

I am actually legitimately curious about what the experience of a Brett Ratner helmed Marvel pic would be like.

Granted, the curiosity is more morbid than anything else, but still.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

The Ant-Man production is apparently really, really, really loving toxic.

[url] http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/adam-mckay-pulls-ant-man-708450 [/url]

It's Ratner time y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Bane and Talia designed everything about the Fall of Gotham to torture Bruce, and all of the class warfare dialogue and such was to cloud their motives to the rest of the world.

It reflects the film's central throughline of Bruce dealing with who and what he has become and the other main characters only existing as shades of the good and the bad aspects about his character.

Whether it worked is up for debate (I feel personally that it did and didn't at the same time), but I think that it was a radical shift from how the first two movies were written, which made it somewhat off putting.

• Locked thread