Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dan Didio posted:

He is. Heavily marketed movies don't get delayed like that for 'high-quality' 3d conversion.
They probably saw how Battleship bombed and went, "Oh gently caress, let's release this later"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dacap posted:

Some GOTG casting rumors, including H. Jon Benjamin as Rocket Raccoon and The Rock as Drax

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...h/news/?a=73443
Oh god I hope that the Rocket Raccoon rumor is true

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Groot sounding like Chris Griffin would be entertaining.
And he can have random conversations with Rocket Racoon played by H Jon Benjamin

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Supreme Allah posted:

I am trying to think of a JLA-type story that would transition well to the big screen. Initial thoughts are some sort of 'For The Man Who Has Everything' situation, where a villain neutralizes Superman and everyone else has to rescue him, then at the end they do that thing where they save the universe.

It's almost impossible to project a JLA movie before seeing Man of Steel (for which I have oddly high hopes).
I thought the Animated Series did a good job by just making it War of the Worlds with heroes saving the day.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Travis343 posted:

And that's why Batman should never attempt to be realistic and why the animated series will always be the best take on the character
Which is why Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Darko posted:

Overrated. An animated film with television quality animation loses marks just for that. Even if it was one of the last cel animated films, the overall direction and quality was midrange, and even beat out by episodes of the television series, ie. Feat of Clay. Pfister's cinematography itself gives those movies watchable qualities in themselves that the weak animation/direction on Phantasm don't have (which is a similar problem Avengers has).
True and actually my favorite Batman movie is Return of the Joker which doesn't really count being Batman Beyond made for Video an all, but that flashback scene still leaves me :stare: especially since I saw the uncensored version.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

FigurativelyHitler posted:

The "censored" version is actually worse, since we're treated to the Joker dying by electrocution to the horrifying sound of Mark Hamill's screaming in his Joker voice. Cartoon censors must be born with their head up their rear end.
Wasn't it one of those situations where they gave the censors the original scene so they could get this scene in, I for one think the censored version is better.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Bob Quixote posted:

Solomon Kane isn't faithful either since in the original series the character, like Howards Conan, doesn't have a grand destiny or whatever and is a wanderer who's just extremely skilled at loving up dudes (and bird-men & vampires, etc.). The movie is cheesy and not the worst dark fantasy action movie out there but that's a pretty low bar to set in a world where Season of the Witch actually got filmed.
Man its sad Season of the Witch was bad since you'd think a movie with Ron Perlman and Nic Cage as knights would be awesome.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Batman and Robin is hilarious. Batman Forever is just obnoxious. I do not know why people in the 90s were OK with paying money to see Jim Carrey do things in movies, and I say this as somebody who was alive and paying for movies in the 90s.
I would have gladly payed money to see Jim Carrey in the Truman Show :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

I kind of want the Storm siblings to be adopted and no one in their family is the same race, just to see the reaction.
I bet it will be much larger than the Hemidall casting in Thor.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I have a lot of faith in Whedon, and this show, but I don't get why they made a SHIELD TV Show, and didn't use Dum Dum, Sharon Carter or Fury. I mean, obviously Sam Jackson is going to be tough to get for a series, so that's fine, but it's not like Neil McDonough is busy, or just recast him. It's just weird to have a show about SHIELD, where we don't have any characters from the comics from SHIELD. I love Coulson, don't get me wrong, but when I think SHIELD, I think Dugan, Carter and Fury. (And to a lesser degree, that one-shot where Bruce Wayne was an Agent of SHIELD during the amalgam crossovers).

I think the show is going to be fantastic, and I am nothing but anxious for it, but I can't help but wonder why he made an all new set of characters... Maybe they'll introduce some familiar characters down the road, and after HIMYM ends, we'll get Robin Sherbatsky Maria Hill on the show as well...
Wouldn't Dum Dum be 80 or dead by now? Sorry not familiar with the character, but if that means more Neil McDonough then I can't see that as a bad thing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

No, Batman can't retire in the funnybooks because then they couldn't sell more funnybooks. Batman has an actual character arc beyond his origin in the Nolan films, which is way more interesting than just watching a broken man continue a cycle of breaking other people. Also your idea that seeing his parents die is the thing that defines Batman, and therefore he can never not be Batman, suggests that people who suffer trauma can never overcome it. Nolan offers an alternative: through overcoming your guilt and letting other people into your life to help you, you can stop self-destructive behaviors and salvage the wreckage of your life, no matter how bad it's gotten.
Really I kind of like the cynical ending they gave Bruce/Batman in the DCAU where he ends up as a bitter old man who lives most of his remaining years alone, until he meets his successor who helps him reconnect with those that he pushed away.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Blamestorm posted:

This probably seems like a more superficial reading of DKR, but it's one I feel is more accurate for me; the film is fundamentally about the completion of Bruce Wayne as a human being and the transcendence of Batman from a limited problem solving force into an enduring symbol that instigates transformation by inspiring others.

There is a reason why so much traditional stories, myths and fairy tales end up with a prince and a princess ending up happily ever after; it represents the synthesis of male and female sides of humanity, yin and yang, aggression and compassion, and the completion of a human being. At the end of the Dark Knight Rises, Nolan makes explicitly clear through Bruce and Selina that Bruce Wayne is healed. At the start of the film, being Batman has broken him. He is crippled, haunted by Harvey's death (who represented the transcendent force that he believed would be Gotham's ultimate salvation), metaphorically impotent, and completely isolated from the rest of humanity. In the face of Bane's threat, he attempts to reclaim his former mantle, but by adopting the same approach that broke him in the first place, his irrelevance is made absolutely clear and Batman is completely defeated. He has used Batman to fight fires and to repair the damage done by the forces that brought Gotham down, but he is incapable of transformational change. Harvey Dent was capable of inspiring that kind of change, and Batman's sacrifice in the second movie enabled some degree of transformation, but the change was flawed and limited just as Harvey was. Batman, as a force, was limited by Bruce Wayne's limitations - he is physically limited and able to be damaged, he cannot be in more than one place at one time, and most importantly, he doesn't inspire the people of Gotham to take responsibility for the city and its problems.
You bring up myths and I can see know that Batman in the comics/movies (except DKR)/even the DCAU is more of a Classical Myth in that there really is no happy ending for the hero. Hell, every Greek myth ends with the hero dead at his prime or old, forgotten, and exiled from his homeland. So I kind of agree that this was an interesting way to "modernize" Batman's story from the tragic to the more optimistic "living happily ever after" conclusion of Bruce Wayne's character.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

AGirlWonder posted:

Oh, no. What is this?

(Clancy Brown should play every character in any superhero film.)
That or Michael Ironside

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I watched that movie as a kid while I had the flu, and to this day, I still can't look at Sam Neill the same... Haunts me.

Also, Mortal Kombat was great. :colbert:"
I remember watching that movie as a kid going, "Why did you gouge your eyes out Dr. Grant? :stonk:"

Then I watched Bicentennial Man going, "Why isn't this movie with Genie funny and why did Dr. Grant die of old age :smith:" (this movie thus gave me a fear of the inevitability of old age and death)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Darko posted:

And, since I was the one that countered it, the problem with Event Horizon is that it's so overshadowed in its subgenre of horror by better but similar enough films that it becomes pointless (while being derivative in itself of many of those films). Hellraiser 1 + 2 cover most of the themes and imagery much much better. If I want a weird movie with Sam Neil losing it, I'll just watch In The Mouth of Madness. I've seen it as "good if you haven't seen any other horror of the type" which is perfect when you're younger, but it becomes less than a footnote once you have, and loses value when you see how things were pieced together to make it (while stripped of much of their bite). Resident Evil 1 has similar issues.
What if I want to see a movie where Sam Neil is the evil bad guy? Daybreakers or Omen III?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm surprised that Origins is still causing problems for Wolverine, considering this movie had a ton of marketing behind it.
Look what happened to Dredd, though I don't think the Sylvester Stallone movie was that bad of stupid movie to watch with your friends.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you want to do a cheesy, dated hell-themed 90s comic book on the cheap why not do The Darkness? It had a pretty good videogame a few years ago so it's more relevant (ie it exists outside of trapper keeper doodles from 90s kids) and it'd be pretty cheap to make since it would basically be a mob movie only with a protagonist prone to sprouting CGI tentacles and having Mike Patton growls emanate from beneath his 2cool4school trenchoat.
I like how Mike Patton has made a niche in voice acting making ungodly noises and screams, though if I could do the things he can do with his voice I would do the same. Was the Darkness 2 any good?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Pugnac posted:

So they made a follow up to The Punisher: #DIRTYLAUNDRY short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDYL6oECjU
Is this short based on another movie because it looks familiar.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

That is also a Mark I Sentinel from the 70s so it kind of explains the aesthetic

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

As cliche as it is, it would actually work much better as a TV series. Maybe after his current HBO thing ends he'll have the clout to get it made somewhere, but I doubt it.

They're adapting American Gods iirc? I hope that if it succeeds we get a Sandman or Death series.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gatts posted:

Is it wrong I want Jeff Goldblum in some capacity? Possibly Vision or Pym or something?

I do have to say when it comes to casting Marvel does a great job.
drat you for saying things that won't happen, if this was the early 90s he would have definitely gotten the role of someone like Pym.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Agreed I was gonna say, it fit in the context but the Captain America movie had a few different outfits like the crappy one for when he was doing the propaganda shows, etc. and then a new look again for Avengers. If you have Wonder Woman in a movie by definition you have an island of amazons and all kinds of other stuff happening too so I don't see the character has to wear ONLY ONE THING EVER. It doesn't have to be like Batman or Iron Man where they spend time designing one suit for each movie and that is THE SUIT or whatever. They could have her wear anything as long as it looks cool for the situation and any combination of black/red/gold or blue is on there.

I think the real reason they have so much trouble though is that instead of just doing what Marvel did with Thor and saying gently caress it, Asgardians and other gods from mythology are super advanced Manowar fans that look and talk like humans deal with it, they keep falling into the Batman Begins mindset of trying to ground everything into reality.* There's been tons of drafts and horrible concepts for a Wonder Woman movie over the years. I remember even reading one where the "suit" is some Aeon Flux dental floss thing that is alive and whatever woman it finds after the current one falls in battle becomes Wonder Woman.

Now I'm hoping in Thor 2 in the battle scene with the Asgardians and Dark Elves the warriors start singing "Armies of the Dead Part II" from the "Gods of War" album.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Greek pottery from 470 BC depicting an Amazon wearing trousers:

If you just care about the (fictional) Amazon culture, actual history allows you to put Wonder Woman in some drat pants. That said, the skirt is part of her image and they should probably stick with it. But, man, "I can gently caress you up if I have to while just wearing my underwear" is not the way to go about it.

This is from 510-500 BCE, the image you have posted up is probably playing up that the Amazons were barbarians, since they hailed from Scythia which is in the Ukraine. If there is one thing with more messed up continuity than comics its probably classical Greek Mythology what with the oral tradition of it and regional retellings.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 3, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

i never understood the armored versions of superheroes who are virtually indestructible without it.
A lot of heroes in mythology wear armor, well with the Greeks you never know.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

This one is a little weird, but given how little info we have on Batman vs. Superman, any news is something.

"Batman vs. Superman" Filming This Weekend

I bolded what I feel is the relevant part. Seems that at least part of this movie is likely to take place in Gotham.
Huh were Gotham's sport's teams colors always black and gold or is that just a thing from DKR? Just curious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Barudak posted:

Not at all. In fact, Gotham's and Metropolis' sports teams have changed a bunch of time because its not exactly a critical piece of world building and who else but gigantic nerds of both sports and comics would know or care about things like that the only team in Gotham to not at one point have been called the Knights is the football team for some reason.
True, I was just curious about it, I know in the cartoon they showed the football team in that one scarecrow episode.

Thwomp posted:

I think it was just because they were filming DKR in Pittsburgh and it's easier to match your fictional team's colors to the local team's when you need to shoot in a stadium and get a ton of extras in said stadium.
That makes me wonder if they'll come back to Pittsburgh to do some scenes in Gotham since Pittsburgh is kind of getting popular for movies to shoot scenes in now for the past few years. Though they probably would want to distance themselves from the Nolan series by shooting elsewhere.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Fishylungs posted:

Where most men would say "Why?" Hank Pym asks "Why not?"

(the answer is because it will inevitably want to murder you)

Jeff Goldblum should now be in the movie as the scientist who acts :smug: and tells Pym that his ideas are stupid and bad and going to get people killed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah Tucci absolutely kills it in that movie. Really, great supporting cast all around: Tucci, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Toby Jones, Hayley Atwell, Dominic Purcell and that little kid who goes "Don't worry, Cap, I can swim!" are all in top form.
Plus Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan which I thought was pretty apt casting

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Darko posted:

Captain America suffered from Joe Johnston's boring direction. It was about as good as Mighty Joe Young or something.
It was better than Jurassic Park 3 at least though that is setting the bar very low.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Darko, so what you're saying is that you really enjoy Batman?

gently caress, Mask of the Phantasm is goddamn good!
Phantasm has my favorite Batman moment when he first puts on the mask and Alfred's reaction really sells it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K1qNsE9v0

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

e: and Scott Pilgrim is the cult movie of the decade, guaranteed. That poo poo wraps up an entire generation into a nice little entertaining kinetic cinematic bow.
Really most Edgar Wright movies are cult movies of the last decade.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'd prefer John Stewart to be the next one, John Stewart is awesome.
I think Green Lantern might have done better since most people are familiar with him than Hal Jordan thanks to the Justice League Cartoon.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

According to a character in the book he speaks in a dull monotone voice.
So like Jeffery Combs as the Question in JLU?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

You literally just pulled those numbers right out of your rear end. Window isn't even close to being on Cap's level. He's a super strong, super fast, super agile, unaging super soldier. She's an in shape woman with martial arts training and wrist guns.

Also Fury in these movies isn't a physical guy, Hawkeye got his rear end punked in the first ten minutes of the movie and spends the entire thing brainwashed then when he gets snapped out of it pretty much has a nervous breakdown due to the guilt he feels (that Natasha then pulls him out of), Coulson gets his rear end killed, and Tony even in the armor shows true fear at the end when he hits space and then has an entire movie devoted to his PTSD from the experience.
And I bet being in an enclosed metal deathtrap with a rage monster doesn't leave much to do but run away.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if this is that rumored X-Force movie.
Does that mean we get Deadpool and Cable who will then have their own spinoff?

Though Ryan Reynolds has been going on how that Deadpool movie is close to be getting greenlight/made.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yannick_B posted:

Jason Momoa will be in Man Of Steel, role not known yet.

Dream idea: Aquaman.
No only John DiMaggio can be Aquaman in my eyes

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I think it's more likely that Rhodes dies in this one. With Ultron being on the scene, having him kill Rhodes could be your "poo poo got real" moment while letting them cop out on killing any of the really main characters. Rhodes could die in this like Coulson died in Avengers 1 (yes, I know he came back in Agents of Shield, but for the purposes of the plot of Avengers he died to spur them on)
I'm thinking more Tony doesn't want to put on the suit and fight, so Rhodes replaces him and gets seriously injured/dead which gives Tony motivation to gain vengeance, its the classic Achilles/Patroclus story except Hector is a psychotic robotic AI.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ooh, and if they want to motivate Thor and Cap, they can bring in Falcon and Heimdall and have them killed/seriously injured too!
Nah man Falcon can be Sthenelus to Cap's Diomedes. And isn't Heimdall probably in a dungeon since Loki probably saw him as a threat to his rule?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I don't think a straight adaption would be a good idea, but I think you could write an original screenplay around the character and make it work. Hell, you could even ask Gaiman to do it.
It seems like something that would be better as a TV Show/Miniseries than a movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

How the hell are you gonna' have a cap uniform that's not red, white, and blue?
Isn't it because he is working for SHIELD and they want him to look a little less conspicuous in his uniform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

The major point is, a bunch of artists and writers and editors aren't getting the idea that Lobo was a joke character.

He's supposed to be a joke on all the uber-badass characters of the late 80s and 90s.
Thankfully the DCAU understood this with their Lobo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpFplmMcjOE

• Locked thread