Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Dark Knight Rises's idea of intelligence is basically just turning chapter titles from A Tale of Two Cities into taglines and calling it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Batman has its own thread. Take it there.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Boondock Saints is a sloppy retread of Pulp Fiction without the style or intelligence, and the trademark scene with the cat is such a pale and pathetic rip of the "I shot Marvin" scene that I can't believe they weren't booed. It's the filmic version of off-brand cereal. Overnight is icing because of course only a whiny prick could make such a jerky flaccid dick of a movie. It's nu-metal: the film. I spit on The Boondock Saints.

Good cast though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

And the casting certainly helps. You can tell the actors give more of a poo poo about the movie than anyone else who worked on it, and that actually goes a surprisingly long way.

Norman Reedus deserves better than just about every part he's ever been given.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wendell posted:

I don't think it matters what type of films those shots come from if what he's saying is that those particular images from them are what inspired him. It's the mood and meaning those shots convey that matter, and make it interesting for him to mention.

No I don't think that's true. Those are all iconic shots from iconic films, packed with meaning. To a filmmaker, Hackman killing that guy in French Connection has a lot of aesthetic meaning jammed into it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Kat Dennings rules.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

She's the absolute worst thing in Thor. In a cast that good she's the weakest link.

Why, what's wrong with her? I found her very charming.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

She was absolutely useless. What does she add to the film other than stupid one liners? You could replace her with a sign sitting in a bucket of sand.

Naw, I don't think so. She didn't get much to work with but she took her small thankless part and made it memorable and fun. Contributes to the general levity and slice-of-life quality that makes Thor the second best of all the Marvel films.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

First. I'm generally curious which you'd put above it.

Iron Man 1, of course, which has a similar vitality. All the rest are inert and joyless.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

jivjov posted:

Wait...did you just call Captain America and Iron Man 2 joyless? Also, are you counting Avengers in that too? I think we may have seen entirely different movies...

ALL joyless. Long tedious slogs with too much explaining. Except Dominic Cooper in Captain America. It should've been a movie about him.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Danger posted:

No love for Ang Lee's Hulk? Technically it's a Marvel film and it having no connection with the soulless franchise-verse is a plus.

edit: Nevermind, apparently it wasn't Marvel Studios. Which also probably explains that more.

Ang Lee's Hulk would've been extraordinary if the climax was the Hulk in the desert stuff, not all that weird nighttime electric Nolte stuff afterwards. It gets poo poo, but I love the look of The Hulk in that one, that radioactive green is awesome.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

Iron Man had a nearly perfect first act, everything leading up to the tunnel escape is incredible. The second act was highly entertaining but the third fell flat. I don't like when the villain is tied into every bad thing that happens in the world, and I didn't care for the major battle sequence.

Agreed. Between the Iron Mans and Hulk, Marvel keeps making the same mistake of having their big final fight take place at night. It's nice in theory - oooh darkness, plus it makes the effects easier - but in practice it's the same dull plodding visually uninteresting mess.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

If nothing else we can applaud The Avengers for giving us an ending battle sequence in broad daylight where, though it sort of felt to me like a toothless, watered down version of the final hour of Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

CPFortest posted:

The Avengers' climax was slightly more visually interesting, though it was hampered by intercutting the more interesting VFX shots with Whedon's direction.

Agreed, and actually the last Batman movie and X-Men First Class were wise enough to end in daylight, too. Really helps all three movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing I like about it is that it seems to use what's basically trick photography to convey the rapidly changing scale. It could've easily been done with a long, boring tracking shot with effects at the forefront but the editing tells the story. It's a teaser that actually teased me, I want to see what Wright is willing to do with this movie. It's the first time I've seen something in one of these Marvel movies where I've thought, "oh that's pretty neat," which is kinda the point, right?

I groaned at the animecoolguy pose at the beginning, but the streamlined simplicity of the rest of it really impressed me.

• Locked thread