Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sharon

Sharon marches over to the cosplay supplies and snatches a wig. It's long and pink and not very suitable, and it keeps twitching under its own power, but it's better than going outside effectively naked.

While she's over there, she grabs some kind of bullshit prop sword that's got like fifty edges and thirty keychain things hanging off the end. The starlet ambles back over to the shopkeep, lifts up one of his hands while he's chattering, and carefully jabs one of his fingers with a spare bladelet.

Does this guy bleed, out of curiosity? And is it red?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Your Biggest Fan (Who Can Be Jack If You Want Him To Be)

"Oh, that thing? The regular plushies are made in Japan with a license from the creators - ow - but that one was special. I sold it to Mansoury this afternoon. I guess it didn't work as well as he thought it would, haha!"

He bleeds red! He holds his hand out to Mizuki, who rolls her eyes and dabs at it with a tissue for him.

Sun Yue

The volume ends with the APC parking outside and a dramatic shot of the store, and then...

quote:

TRIGGER WARNING VOL. 22

Mansoury's Mansion, 8PM

The first panel is a cool scene shot of Megan the ghost booking it away from the mansion as fire teams put the blaze out, and a crack Dark River Security squad moves into the forest to take out the weird creatures within. The next panels zoom into a mansion window...

Mansoury's lackey Mr Monahan frees himself from the lounge cupboard he hid in and crawls through the haze of wrecked robots and electrical fire smoke.

"goho, goho..."

A couple panels of crawling and coughing later, someone offers him a hand.

"You okay there, champ?"

Monahan takes her outstretched hand. "Thanks. What the hell was that? Those robots made it past the wards somehow... and the monsters!"

"Monsters, huh?" the DJ asks.

Monahan gestures around the room. "That Arthur man turned into... something! And those shinigami were here, I'm sure of it. That Network Mansoury was babbling about."

The DJ laughs. "Okay, I want what you're having."

"I am being serious, madam!" Monahan takes a cube out of his pocket, unfolds it into a data book and begins his wholly unnecessary exposition. "Luckily, I recorded everything. To think I suggested an alliance! Hah, no, now they'll learn not to mess with a Monahan!"

Monahan looks up again, into the barrel of a gauss pistol.

CRACK

The round breaks the sound barrier. The back of Monahan's head opens like a flower and sprays its contents across the room. He topples backwards.

The DJ picks up his data book, neatly snaps it back into a cube, smiles at nothing in particular.

The last panel is a shot of Monahan's body, the hole Air Grind made and the DJ walking away into the night.

VOL. 22 END

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

"He just bought them this afternoon?" Arthur's eyes narrow and he starts rubbing this chin. "He came in personally and bought them just a few hours ago? Then he must have expected something, or been planning for something, or..."

He catches Sun Yue happily browsing the latest releases rack. "Holy...holy poo poo! You got another copy of this, Jack? Sharon! Don't stab the clerk, he's a vital resource! And...Da'ud, Mina, could you bring some of Mansoury's writings in here?! Maybe bring Maija and Arif too! We're sitting on...something really interesting here!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

"I didn't stab him, I just pricked him a little."

Sharon stares levelly at the tager.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sun Yue FP OXX Stress OOXO (-2/-4/-6)

Yue tosses her copy to Arthur. "Aw man! The DJ! I should have known. I was just hoping to see if Loop was going to be a recurring foe, or if he might become like the guy who looks like a bad guy but turns out to be a good guy, but all edgey like."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

"Well, going by the way he fought you, Sun Yue," Arthur notes, checking out the manga in OOI-typical detail, "I think it's safe to say he's pretty much suspect one, two, and three for what we started this whole thing on. Hello, DJ. I'll have to talk to Arif about you later, but let's see what this book will tell me now..."

Investigatan times!
[22:09:03] <Davin_Valkri> Let's check out that manga in detail!
[22:09:08] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+4
[22:09:08] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -+/-+4 = 3
Krysmbot: still dislikes me.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Manga

Yep, just as you suspected - Loop Skat3man just wiped out most of the Gilded Hands. Also some other bystanders but gently caress those guys for getting in the way. Arthur has no idea what the DJ's deal is, save that her stage name is Vinyl Scratch and she is allegedly from Mars. That one kind of came out of nowhere.

If Arthur flips through previous pages, he sees mention of the others: It looks like Madoka Madoka spent the entire time huddled in a subwoofer fort in her apartment, reading her anthology and taking notes. Kanazawa read about your exploits while having tea with an unknown, offscreen mahotaku in a lounge you haven't seen before (naturally scene changes prevented you knowing what they were really talking about). Kaiya was teased as the killer for a while, but then it revealed that instead of planning to kill anyone at the party she was embarking on an all-night Eldritch Society op elsewhere in the city (completely different!) and, as a bonus, her manager is demanding she see him in the morning.

Your Biggest Fan

"Oh, yeah! She seems interesting. If she gets boring can you tell her to stop by here? Worked for Mansoury, haha."

"Oh, speaking of! What are you gonna do with Loop's bag?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mina Fisher

"DIBS!"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Maximina

Having quite forgotten about Hacking, but still suffering the residual dregs of her Minafication, Maximina saunters into the store chugging a scavenged Chteau Haut Brion Pessac-Lognan 2032 straight from the bottle. "Sup, Ears. Hey, do you got any expansion packs to that dating sim game? That poo poo was tight."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

"Welp." Arthur tosses the manga almost casually at Sun Yue. "Jack, I'd like to buy another copy of that to look over. It looks like Loop did it after all. Although, if they were anything like Mansoury, maybe we should give him a medal instead of a jail term. Looks like that DJ and the other two suspects on the list are still wild cards th--Maxy? What the heck are you--?"

Arthur's questioning is cut off by a chance glance at the new releases rack. There on the right, in shrink wrap, are caricatures of three people. Who can only be Da'ud, Arif, and himself. In...varying states of undress...

"GAH! What the hell?!" Instinctively he seizes the book, tears off the plastic, and flips through it. It, uh...it would be interesting if it wasn't supposed to be him. "Wha...gah...ah-hargh...how are they...?!"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina

"Also, gimme a case of the shirtless sparkle mags," Maximina adds as an aside to Jack.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"If you're done with the game can I borrow it, Big Mina?" Yue gets out her smartphone and looks up some stuff. "I didn't get to eat at that party, so I'm starving. We should go get something to eat. I heard about this awesome place to get burritos."

"Oh yeah, Jack, have you hear about any spinoffs for the NT++?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Your Biggest Fan

"There's DLC, it's not magic though." Your Biggest Fan adds the shirtless sparkle mags. "The items you have are yours, the rest are for other people to keep things interesting. You guys are great, I'd hate for you to be bored!"

"There aren't really any good official spinoffs. Just you guys."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

"I...I don't know whether I should be shocked or amused..." Arthur lazily drops the comic of himself, Da'ud and Arif doing impossible stuff on the counter. "I...I'll come talk to you about the plushies in more detail tomorrow. I'll take that so I can figure out who drew it, fly over there and throttle them. I do not pour baby oil on my chest every morning!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon sniffs the air, letting her spectrometer get a full read. "Da'ud does."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

" Yo add another one of those sparkle mags for me. So creeps the creep, you're saying these dolls and this bag won't work for us? Also gently caress Loop. Yeah all those people were assholes, but they were rich assholes to be bilked from. He just about cut my clientele list in half."

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 1, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Your Biggest Fan

"Yeah, as far as I know. There might be a loophole? That Roger guy's been coming back and trying all day and we haven't worked it out yet, haha. I'll let you know if we figure something out."

"But that's what you've got. How are you liking them?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

"So my future telling DVD, is that gonna be an every night thing? 'Cause sometimes I just wanna kick it in my pad, you know? Just chill and ain't wanna not go on no adventure."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Your Biggest Fan

"Well, the box set and the anthology cover everything, though they work in different ways. You get to see bonus content even fans of the anime don't! You don't have to use it, though. I mean, you guys aren't using your items as much as Madoka or Kaiya anyway and you're doing okay."

"Oh, unless you're accepting Kanazawa's invite to talk to Madeleine and Roger tomorrow afternoon, then you should probably watch it. It can wait until morning though, haha."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

"Accepting who what? Wait, are you talking about the future? You some kinda wizard?"

Mina starts giving the anime store a much more practiced look.

"Wizard poo poo can be pricey, you know."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud

"...why would I pour baby oil on my..."

Da'ud sighs.

"Well, at least they make me look good."

He turns to Maximina.

"So, you want to hit the town for the rest of the night, go find more minigolf, head back to my place or...well, what?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yue suddenly has the best idea. "In the interests of finding out more about this - viewing party at Mina's! I'll bring popcorn." She pauses. "After we get burritos of course."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

"And this stuff doesn't concern you that much, Da'ud? What, do you do modeling for a woman's magazine when you're off the clock?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud

"No, but one of my cousins has. I'm kind of used to occasional media poo poo, though. I mean, you do know who my father is, right?"

Da'ud shrugs.

"I've been on tabloid covers before. Well, twice."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

"poo poo, I'm down for a party at my place. Also, hey anime creepo, don't suppose there's any super hot fanfics of me, is there?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Your Biggest Fan

"I'm not a wizard, I just read a lot. I don't read doujin much, though. If it's not canon I'm not interested, haha."

"But I've heard about it. There's this thing in Shanghai... I'll see what I can dig up."

"You guys and girls take care of yourselves, okay?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
つづく...

Significant milestone! +1 skill point (cap's still in place though), you can rename any severe consequences you have, and all the benefits of a minor milestone.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Arata liked trains. Sometimes, when he was a kid, people would ask him what he wanted to be when he grew up, and he'd say "a train". You were big and tough and fast, you could travel all over the place, and girls would ride you. Usually that was as far as he got before someone told him that was silly or gave him a clip behind the ear. He'd grown up since then, and he hadn't become a train, but he still liked to get on them and watch Neo-Tokyo rush by.

He could never sit still on them, though. Even now, when he and Daisuke were the only two people in the carriage, he was pacing.

"Something up?" Daisuke didn't bother looking up from his tablet. He had important things to draw.

Arata nodded. "Stuck."

"Want me to try being a muse again?" Daisuke leaned back. "I've played plenty of video games, I can help with this one."

Arata looped an arm around a pole and swung around in the vain hope that it would be interesting.

"I don't know... what do you do when you're stuck on designs?"

"Curves," Daisuke said.

"Curves?"

Daisuke squeezed the air, as though he were molding his thoughts. "I draw people with these, just...
massive thighs."

Arata stared.

"What?"

"When we did that interview last week you told the guy you found inspiration by drawing new character designs."

"Yes, with huge femurs."

"Okay, you know what? Time out."

Saturday February 11 2119, 12:30AM UAE

Aspects: Swagg

Mina's place is located in the sort of neighborhood where people who aren't rich but want to seem rich move. Nobody is surprised.

The flat itself is... garish. It looks like Mina just took all the fancy, classic art she stole, a bunch of cool neon/LCD lights and whatever obscenely cutting edge technology she could get her hands on, threw it at the wall and gave herself a cookie for a job well done. It is a retro 80s neon nightmare, the most tasteless place in the world.

She has a pretty great entertainment setup, though, if you don't mind most of the speakers being hooked up to the flat's PAN and an old repurposed cassette disk player. There is a Mona Lisa hanging above her couch with "SUP BABE" picked out in neon above it. It is probably not the real one. The eyes seemed to follow you around the room as you popped the DVD in and gave it a try.

You've just finished watching the latest episode of Trigger Warning: Anime. It opened with you in Mina's apartment watching an episode of TW:A which opened with you in Mina's apartment... then there was a burst of static, and you didn't really get much after that.

Mina got her fragments of the future before the credits rolled, though.

S2E2 Double Gaiden Cross: 2 Anime 4 U Scenes posted:

Major Vision:

This scene was from a first-person perspective. Someone/thing quick. They clambered to safety onto some empty scaffolding and peeked out into the yard below. Madoka was there, bleeding but alive, scanning ahead with her surprisingly vicious gun. Where the hell did she get that? If she saw them they'd be vaporised. There had to be a suitable spot in the shadows... yes, perfect. They leapt in and burst of a shipping container behind Madoka as she turned...

Fragments:

"That scene where someone suddenly completely changed their mind"

"That scene where you totally guessed the password correctly"

"Huh." Maou stuffs another burrito into her mouth. "Well that was lame."

quote:

:siren: A City Faction and Face have changed.

Gilded Hands DEAD

Saif Al Mansoury (face of Gilded Hands) DEAD

Ettin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 3, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

"Why am I even...?"

Arthur is sitting on what has to be slipperiest gel-chair ever, holding a still wrapped burrito and half-admiring, half-recoiling from the posters of shirtless, oiled men on the walls. Was a free dinner really worth this?

"It's just business, Arthur, we're looking over that Anime at the Gates stuff...is that Madoka?!"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina FP: 0/1

Maximian reclines in a chair shaped like a sleek black lima bean, which for some reason has speakers embedded in it. She spent the whole episode sheltering her face underneath the Maximina-plushie, as if the light and noise bothered her. Maximina had wokeen up on other-Mina's kitchen floor this morning, with her face stuck to the floor in a puddle of drool and congealed energy drinks, wearing undersized clothing with retro catchphrases and a feeling that her soul had been hollowed out and replaced with irony. She'd spent the rest of the day recuperating from her Hangmina.

"Looks like," she says. "Although I can't imagine ow! Madoka doing anything violent. Maybe I should have asked doulbe-ow! Mansoury what he did when he pulled Madoka's string before I shot him out of a building."

Hunger: OXXOOO

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon sits on a mink beanbag chair. Which is to say it is a beanbag chair upholstered in mink fur, not filled with minks. She hasn't eaten all night, avoiding the burritos whenever possible, slowly purging the drugs and drink from her system. Mostly, she's spent the night appreciating Mina's solid gold toilet seat.

"Where did you get that thing, anyway?" She points to the seat in its frame.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

"Turns out a shitter of gold doesn't mean 'a lot of gold.' Dubai is loving clownshoes the city, I swear."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yue looks up from staring at the six legged lizard thing in the giant terrarium that serves as the base of Mina's coffee table. "I wanna know who's running around like that. That first perspective thing does not go well with that MexArab burrito I had. Or the regular burrito either."

She looks down at the lizard thing again. "Can I take him out to play?" It's a toss up as to whether Yue is unaware that bright nearly neon colors on reptiles usually mean I am poisonous enough to be native to Australia or if she thinks that makes it even more fun.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

"Mina, have you ever considered spending your money on an interior decorator? I'm not one, but I'm pretty sure gold leaf and shiny silver don't really go together like that...also you should probably throw out some of these old posters...and get a proper table..." Arthur suddenly snaps over to Maximina as she talks about Madoka. "Wait, what, Maxy? Mansoury's dead; shouldn't whatever he told Madoka have died with him?!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud - FP: 2

"Some magic can outlast the caster. If it all died with you, we wouldn't have ancient magical traps or bindings. That said, it's hard to guess with this stuff."

Da'ud has sprawled himself on a particularly comfy chair. Even if it is the most garish chair he has ever seen.

"Max, you okay under there? Want some..." He briefly flicks through the hangover cures he learned in England. "...orange juice, with or without added ginger?" Pause. "Is there even orange juice in this apartment?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"If you guys had captured him instead of blowing him up..." Yue leaves out the part where she was totally for murdering Mansoury right up to the point she got a look at him.

"Wish I'd been there to remind you, but I had an epic duel to win. So really it's all Loop's fault. That rear end." Yue hops up and digs through Mina's fridge. "Mina these noodles are asking me to take them to the embassy so they can request asylum from the Thai government. Hey Da'ud no OJ but what about Sunny D?" She doesn't wait for an answer and hauls it over.

"So I'm thinking maybe we should maybe get a bit more organized. Tonight was fun but soorrrt of a mess. If we're going to solve this we need to plan some maybe. Back when I was a yuxia, they'd elect a wulin mengzhu to keep order in the jianghu. Not like a boss, but someone to keep things from getting to messed up and everyone pointed in the right direction. I vote Arthur should be our wulin mengzhu."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

Arthur snorts. "So you want me to be the team straight man, then." He stands up. "Alright. Da'ud, give me your book. I wanna reread Madoka's dossier, see if there's anything about her we missed. And maybe see what it has to say about us..."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud - FP: 2

Da'ud sighs, pulling the book out and flipping it to Madoka's section.

"It's not a perfect book, you realize. It never told us Loop was the killer."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Arthur Durandall FP 0/1

"I know, but when I read the thing he turned into suspect number one, given the chocolate bar and his anarchist leanings. I should've asked about the sword, though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina Fp=0

To Da'ud, Maximina says "No thank you. I wouldn't eat or drink anything I found in this apartment that didn't generate its own disinfectants."

To Sun Yue, she says "It's a trifle difficult to shoot to wound with a 40mm anti tank weapon. Also, it was bloody amazing."

To Arthur, she says "So, wait: Loop turned out to be the killer?" Maximina missed that part because of horseback minigolf. She punches the air. "Yessss. I was right. Hunter's instincts."

Hunger: OXXOOO

• Locked thread