Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sette is the marquee protagonist so she's absolutely death proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Sette is the marquee protagonist so she's absolutely death proof.

Permanent death-proof, anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

Yep. When your other marquee protagonist started out dead, who's to say Sette's plot-armor doesn't have some chinks?

She's probably fine tho. Unlike Matty. Matty's dying. :getin:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Dias posted:

Yep. When your other marquee protagonist started out dead, who's to say Sette's plot-armor doesn't have some chinks?

I'd give him another 20 or so years tops.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah maybe. She could turn into a whole different character or a fuckin monster or a magical lion or whatever the hell she's supposed to be.

Dias posted:

I thought Matty was dead meat for a while but Ashley jokes about killing Matty too much for me to think she'll ever do it. I think Uaid is likely toast at some point though; if for nothing that it'd be annoying to continue trying to contrive how the Quigley's hide or go anywhere with Uaid for the entire duration of the story. Also because Uaid having a gigantic tear-jerking "death" scene in front of Matty seems like an obvious thing to have happen at some point.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
For Matty, if he's not killed, he'll at least be thoroughly traumatized.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

For Matty, if he's not killed, he'll at least be thoroughly traumatized.

by Uaid dying

I started reading this comic and got caught up back at the beginning of the whole weird sequence in the khert through duane's shadow, and in between now and then it keeps hitting me how few, like, decent people there are in this world. I mean, we don't need this to be Cucumber Quest but it feels hard to root for anyone, particularly among the adults. The comic's scale of evilness seems to run on "how willing is this character to commit atrocities" and it runs from Lex Luthor to Hitler.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

by Uaid dying

I started reading this comic and got caught up back at the beginning of the whole weird sequence in the khert through duane's shadow, and in between now and then it keeps hitting me how few, like, decent people there are in this world. I mean, we don't need this to be Cucumber Quest but it feels hard to root for anyone, particularly among the adults. The comic's scale of evilness seems to run on "how willing is this character to commit atrocities" and it runs from Lex Luthor to Hitler.
Well, it's a pretty lovely world really and 99.9% of the principal actors in this are criminals.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

by Uaid dying

Toma and Elka?

And by now there seem to be a good number of characters who are, at worst, just trying to get by in a lovely world. I think once the horror kicks into high gear the moral lines will be more clear; Ana and Toby certainly seem to be heading this way.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Don't forget Matty and Jivi.

It's easy enough to make a case for Duane, too, especially if you can be understanding of his circumstances what with growing up in a weird hellhole and currently being an undead abomination.

Sette isn't as bad as she wants people to think she is.

And the bad people seem to die off pretty regularly. Starfish is the only Red Berry Boy left, for instance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Don't forget Matty and Jivi.

It's easy enough to make a case for Duane, too, especially if you can be understanding of his circumstances what with growing up in a weird hellhole and currently being an undead abomination.

Sette isn't as bad as she wants people to think she is.

And the bad people seem to die off pretty regularly. Starfish is the only Red Berry Boy left, for instance.

And Cutter. Don't forget Cutter. Never forget Cutter.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Sette there is no way in hell that hiring Murkoph will work out for anyone involved. Please be back in the happy tentacle for less suicidal reasons.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Sette there is no way in hell that hiring Murkoph will work out for anyone involved. Please be back in the happy tentacle for less suicidal reasons.
That would make absolutely no loving sense but if it's what it really is, wow what a dumb plot turn.

And at the implication of you-know-who showing back up: Blergh.

We had a perfectly good act climax set up. What the gently caress is Murk's point again?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

We had a perfectly good act climax set up. What the gently caress is Murk's point again?

Author's favorite character.

Oh you mean in terms of the plot? Probably there is none.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Paramemetic posted:

Author's favorite character.

Oh you mean in terms of the plot? Probably there is none.
We'll just have to see what the guy does. I want to give the character a chance but the only thing I felt the instant I realized where today's comic was going was a sort of depressed, resigned feeling that was like "oh right...that guy is still in this comic."

You know that feeling when you're enjoying any sort of modern internet age/non-mainstream successful thing, be it manga/webcomics/podcasts/youtube channels/whatever and you're thinking, "I have no idea how this isn't published/on TV/etc"...then some gross latent fetish of the creator shows up in the work and you're like, "Oh...right. :smith:"

Basically that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why on earth would Sette be recruiting Murkoph? As far as she knows he's still trapped in the Khert. She has no idea that he's slipping out or whatever's going on there. I know the people here freak out whenever he shows up but, well, he hasn't even known up. "Sette's going to recruit the rapeghost that she doesn't even know could be where she's going" is a crazy idea.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ashley Cope infiltrates these goons' bedrooms in the dead of night, whispers "Murkoph" in their ears until they start to weep, and leaves quietly as she arrived.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

Ashley Cope infiltrates these goons' bedrooms in the dead of night, whispers "Murkoph" in their ears until they start to weep, and leaves quietly as she arrived.

Starting to unironically believe this is the case, it's the only explanation.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
I've just caught back up on the comic and am hoping Sette's just looking for what happened to Swarm and not the Team Stupid Snowflakes option.

I don't like Murkoph at all, he reminds me of a 'poorly written Deadpool plus rape/eat/ murder so you know he's a really bad guy' attempt at a character. But so far I was more turned off the comic by Chapter 1 than Murkoph's intro. I didn't even try to pick the comic back up until like chapter 4 thanks to realizing the annoying tailed creature was a main character. Which is too bad because Cope writes some interesting side characters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tar_Squid posted:

I've just caught back up on the comic and am hoping Sette's just looking for what happened to Swarm and not the Team Stupid Snowflakes option.

I don't like Murkoph at all, he reminds me of a 'poorly written Deadpool plus rape/eat/ murder so you know he's a really bad guy' attempt at a character. But so far I was more turned off the comic by Chapter 1 than Murkoph's intro. I didn't even try to pick the comic back up until like chapter 4 thanks to realizing the annoying tailed creature was a main character. Which is too bad because Cope writes some interesting side characters.
Honestly I'd kick in like $10 to a "rewrite/redraw the first chapter" fund. A lot of the people I know who follow a ton of webcomic things immediately stopped reading because of it.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Alternate theory: Sette is trying to hire Tit-Bird :v:

Fabricated posted:

That would make absolutely no loving sense

This is Sette we're talking about. Even with the recent chapters giving her confidence a knock, I wouldn't put it past her to think she can manipulate things in her favour. Having said that I don't think she's stupid enough to intentionally release him.

Intentionally.

DrSnakeLaser fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 28, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My credulity is well and truly snapped if Sette is trying to recruit the monsterguy who literally tried to eat and rape her at the same time.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Hi Murkoph! Hi Murkoph's pants, that position would sure be pleasant without you!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Fabricated posted:

My credulity is well and truly snapped if Sette is trying to recruit the monsterguy who literally tried to eat and rape her at the same time.

Well... She isn't there to recruit him

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
I wouldn't mind Sette spontaneously pulling some bullshit protagonist powers out of her rear end to just get rid of Murkoph, the story be damned.

On the other hand, I commend the author for composing an antagonist that's so easy to utterly despise.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Ah gently caress, that guy again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DentedLamp posted:

I wouldn't mind Sette spontaneously pulling some bullshit protagonist powers out of her rear end to just get rid of Murkoph, the story be damned.

On the other hand, I commend the author for composing an antagonist that's so easy to utterly despise.

That's pretty easy writing-wise, isn't it? 'Likeable and human but obviously needs to be stopped' is a rather more difficult challenge.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That's pretty easy writing-wise, isn't it? 'Likeable and human but obviously needs to be stopped' is a rather more difficult challenge.

I should have put more perspective into what I said; I actually find it very personally difficult to not view many characters sympathetically, even when authors are trying to make their antagonists eat babies or something like that, so her rendition of Murkoph was something of a surprise regarding the extent of the emotional response she managed to trigger out of me.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DarklyDreaming posted:

Well... She isn't there to recruit him
"Bug cloak"? What exactly is she looking for again?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jackard posted:

"Bug cloak"? What exactly is she looking for again?
The cloak that Quigley used to conjure the bugs that tried to eat Duane way back when they fought. Sette stole it after the fight, and used it as part of a disguise to get into town before Duane ate that one guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
By day Sette has to deal with a boring zombie, by night a psychotic one. She's probably trying work out which is more nightmarish.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DentedLamp posted:

Out of morbid curiosity I went and looked at her Q&A thing now after the reveal and it seems to be mostly people thinking he is sexy/awesome and one person who is asking for a naked drawing of him in their kickstarter book.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In which Murkoph regrettably continues to be Murkoph.

Sette's reaction is reasonable thus far but if she's looking for a gang to stop Stockyard's then a teleporting immortal dude might be too much for her to resist, even if he is a creeping bitey psychopath. Murkoph's not doing a good job of reining himself in, though. Hopefully she'll bug out and leave him to claw out of the khert himself in another chapter or twenty.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Good fish good fish eat him EAT HIM.

I thought he was in the actual room with her, now everything is just a LITTLE bit okay.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get what she's trying do do with Murkoph; he's supposed to be a fun, wacky, yet creepy guy, what with all the jokes and meta humor and all, but it just...doesn't work. There aren't brooding antiheroes clad in tight leather to steal pants from, you can't drop a line about biting a child's face as just a little more text in the bubble.

All he's doing is weakening the setting and mucking up the story.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The intriguingly verbose and incredibly repulsive kinda strikes a Hannibal Lector vibe with me. Except that you don't admire Murkoph at all and look on in sick fascination waiting for the other shoe to drop when all hell breaks loose. Not sure where people are seeing authorial favor here except that in a world like this, Murkoph is singularly the most evil dude in the setting.

Seems to be working to get people up and ready to quit this comic because the dude is so loathsome. That's effective characterization for a villain. Everyone else so far has some sympathy and humanity written for them.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I just find him dumb and uninteresting. I know he hasn't been around much but every page he's on just feels like a drag. :sigh: I guess I can always sit it out for a bit if he starts playing a more prominent role.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think the big flaw in his character at this point is that his motivations are so blatant (escape, be creepy toward Sette/little girls), so there's not much to make the reader curious about him. This doesn't preclude there being more to his character, but if so those lines haven't been cast out to hook the reader yet.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
The authorial favor thing comes from comments by the author literally saying she's his favorite character to write if I recall correctly but I don't read anything more than the comic itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grognan posted:

Seems to be working to get people up and ready to quit this comic because the dude is so loathsome. That's effective characterization for a villain.

No.

Hitchcock or whoever else said that a story is as good as its villain. The takeaway from that is that a good villain makes you like the story, but a villain that makes you dislike the story is a bad villain.

A good loathsome villain is someone you're supposed to loathe as a pretend person, on a direct level. It makes you invested in the story because you want to see the villain get a comeuppance and the heroes prevail. If you dislike the villain as a character design decision and on a meta level, then it's a terrible villain. I'd like Unsounded a lot more if Murkoph wasn't in it at all, and that's not because of how repugnant the character is within the setting (characters like Starfish or Cutter are similarly vile) but because his presence takes me completely out of the story and makes me question the author's motives, skills, and sanity.