Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Toma and his crew don't know much about the silver, everyone in town trusts Stockyard to do right by them, and Stockyard's been shutting his eyes and plugging his ears against the obviously abominable silver bomb because he's so hellbent on breaking away from Nary's organization. It's too late for any of them to do anything about it anyway, the silver's gone critical.

Wonder where Cutter is right now. Given how the eels are acting, he could be in one place or several.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

A.o.D. posted:

The reason is that Stockyard just killed the only person in his gang that was any good at risk assessment.
Not good enough to avoid Stockyard

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Watching these dipshits get eaten by their own doom worms is inordinately satisfying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In which AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh. Well, the guy who got his arm flayed seems to still be alive, which is preferable to the alternative (though man that is a nasty injury). For now, at least; he's not exactly in the best place if he wants to stay that way.

Also, wow. That's pretty grotesque. What are those things that are embedded in the silver? The blue, semi-humanoid things with the red... Faces? Have we seen those before and I just forgot?

Also also, never thought I'd be happy to see Starfish again, but if I had to see him anywhere, here's a good place for it to be. If the silver starts claiming victims hopefully he'll be one of them.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Ahaha EAT poo poo STOCKYARD.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just counting the pages till Starfish finally bites it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Roland Jones posted:

Also, wow. That's pretty grotesque. What are those things that are embedded in the silver? The blue, semi-humanoid things with the red... Faces? Have we seen those before and I just forgot?

Just a wild guess here, but probably victims of the silver? I'd bet when someone gets snatched and killed by it, they become part of it.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Just counting the pages till Starfish finally bites it.
My money's on him surviving it all. The weaseling loving oval office.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Bravo posted:

Just a wild guess here, but probably victims of the silver? I'd bet when someone gets snatched and killed by it, they become part of it.

I was figuring something like that, but I wasn't sure if it was an established thing I forgot or something new.

Roger Explosion posted:

My money's on him surviving it all. The weaseling loving oval office.

The author hinted at his days being numbered or something, so he's probably biting it. I'm expecting something particularly gruesome, personally. Possibly relayed through discretion shots that make it seem even worse.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's definitely not been explicitly laid out, but there's been some hints that way. This page is what makes me think that the most.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Deadly Nevergreen finally earns its name. It's deadly, and pretty much the opposite of green.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like Stockyard pointing out to Sette how stupid it is to want a gig that typically ends up with you doing stuff like brutally garroting someone who was one of your best friends.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Welp, Murkoph's original role as Poetic Undead Sexy Badass is waning fast.

Guy's the first character in the comic to get chumped by Anadyne, of all people.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I actually loled when I saw his face in the "Wow" panel, fucker looks like an agog ape.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Aww, the squishies are putting him back together.

Edit: With memories of his daughter and Sette.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 4, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grognan posted:

Edit: With memories of his daughter and Sette.

I like that his most defining character trait is the love he has for his children. It's cool to see the motherhood trope inverted so adeptly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/ch10-p89
Unsounded is now Cucumber Quest

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Did he just rip Murkoph's skin off? :allears:

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
That's pretty badass, even for Duane o.o About time, after he spent the past God-knows-how-many pages effectively neutered

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ouch.

Also check her latest personal tumblr post if you wonder why I dislike/roll my eyes at this dude so much. Major :nws::nms: warnings on some of it though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Ouch.

Also check her latest personal tumblr post if you wonder why I dislike/roll my eyes at this dude so much. Major :nws::nms: warnings on some of it though.
I'm just trying to find a reason for Murkoff to even be in this story besides being the authors pet character. Because he does nothing but show up and be edgy. No exceptions.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

I'm just trying to find a reason for Murkoff to even be in this story besides being the authors pet character. Because he does nothing but show up and be edgy. No exceptions.

Actually so far all he's done is show up and get beaten back down. Even in the universe of the comic itself he has, first appearance aside, been a nuisance at most, and has been clowned progressively harder each time he tries to return, which has culminated in this page where he was flayed.

Really, Cope may like Murkoph, but the comic sure as hell doesn't.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
She likes him as a character, but is well aware he's a jerk who deserves to be beaten badly.

I suspect he'll contribute more to the comic once he eventually escapes the khert, which we know must eventually happen.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Duane takes an interesting approach to mental health I must say :stare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Brought To You By posted:

You can't think of any possible reasons why a weird zombie stuck in the Khert might be relevant in a story with taglines like "Death is the gods' crime" and lingering mysteries about the nature of Ssael and his scriptures that proclaim the gods to be dead?

Death, afterlife, and moving on/being unable to move on are central themes here. Murkoff has something to do with that, what we don't know in any detail since right now he's busy getting #rekt but there's some obvious hooks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell at this point I'm assuming Murkoph is Ssael and I just don't like him. Not even a love to hate sort of thing, just an overall dislike.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I can think of plenty of reasons Murkoph could and probably is important, but I don't think his inclusion in the story improves it. At least not based on what we've seen of him so far.

I think it's due to everything else about the story being complex and well built up and nuanced, and then Murkoph is just cartoonishly evil. We haven't been shown any of his layers or motivations, or even had hints that they exist. As in the tumblr post above you can literally draw him doing any evil thing at all and it doesn't feel out of character.

Even if he's important, it still feels like a waste of time to cut away from the other characters to whatever he's doing. It'll take a lot to make him worth the effort but so far it seems Cope either already thinks he is, or isn't in any hurry to do so.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Murkoph is rubbish, but after the amazing job she did down building up and paying off Stockyard's breakdown I'm more than willing to let Cope have her silly White Wolf reject. I can live with one cartoonish villain when the others are so well fleshed out.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Pyradox posted:

...Murkoph is just cartoonishly evil. We haven't been shown any of his layers...

Skippy McPants posted:

I can live with one cartoonish villain when the others are so well fleshed out.

We've seen all his layers, and he's pretty well fleshed out. He's just a very gray character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's funny that by far the most activity this thread sees is when everybody pokes their heads in to squawk about a character who's shown up for maybe 30 pages out of 500.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Murkoph is around to teach Duane the value of life

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hell at this point I'm assuming Murkoph is Ssael and I just don't like him. Not even a love to hate sort of thing, just an overall dislike.

And on this page, when Duane calls out to Ssael, who answers?

Very nice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Right?

I got a chuckle out of that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If Murkoph actually really is Ssael, Duane will completely lose it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Was there not a theory floating around that Sette was some reincarnation or spawn of Tirna's?

Cat Mattress posted:

If Murkoph actually really is Ssael, Duane will completely lose it.

He's in a state of perpetually losing it as it is. Maybe getting the opportunity to punch his god in the face will do him some good.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, Lady Ilganyag's back. And, not to be shown up, is presently owning Murkoph, because everyone who encounters him is getting to this chapter. I wonder what her deal is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Hey, Lady Ilganyag's back. And, not to be shown up, is presently owning Murkoph, because everyone who encounters him is getting to this chapter. I wonder what her deal is.

She's the patron goddess of the Black Tongues and at least one of her own "followers" is deeply involved with the silver plan, which is busting up her own realm. She's probably less than amused.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

We've seen all his layers, and he's pretty well fleshed out. He's just a very gray character.

I like this, especially coming from the Space Ghost av, and read it in his voice.

Also the whole "Murkoph is Ssael" always seemed originally more like a troll thing that people just got on board with because they figured any theory is better then nothing or people just grasping at straws to make some sort of connection with the whole hidden universe of the comic.

Anyhow, if someone were to toxx themself and say he is or isn't, it probably wouldn't matter because it will be so long before we would find out anyhow that everyone would forget.

The point is, all narration in the comic should be read as Space Ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

I like this, especially coming from the Space Ghost av, and read it in his voice.

Also the whole "Murkoph is Ssael" always seemed originally more like a troll thing that people just got on board with because they figured any theory is better then nothing or people just grasping at straws to make some sort of connection with the whole hidden universe of the comic.

Ssael was a man marked by a lion, leaving three claw-marks on his face. He is said to have overthrown the gods and now exists undying in the khert to welcome anyone else who ventures there. If you strip away all the adoration and pixie dust (especially the "overthrew the gods" bit, since the only confirmed deity is Ilganyag, whom both Ssaelites and Gefendur think is a fairy tale), Murkoph does fit the bill.