Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Ssael was a man marked by a lion, leaving three claw-marks on his face. He is said to have overthrown the gods and now exists undying in the khert to welcome anyone else who ventures there. If you strip away all the adoration and pixie dust (especially the "overthrew the gods" bit, since the only confirmed deity is Ilganyag, whom both Ssaelites and Gefendur think is a fairy tale), Murkoph does fit the bill.

I know all of this, but it still seems like a 1+2=4 because people want answers where they aren't yet. Maybe it is right, maybe it is wrong. Maybe in the Unsounded universe 1+2 does equal 4. Maybe Space Ghost is cool (this is the only thing I am sure of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, Toby is scary as hell now. Also, did he grab the noose from the side of the page?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, Toby is scary as hell now. Also, did he grab the noose from the side of the page?

He did. And in the last chapter, Murkoph grabbed a knife from the same place.

Khert don't give a dusty gently caress about the fourth wall.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Oxxidation posted:

the fourth wall.
This. I've never seen an author interact with/include the 4th wall quite in the way that Ashley is doing. In any medium, really. It's one of the main reasons I love this comic.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Duane's been practicing the art of the badass one-liner, it seems. Good job Duane.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Duane throwing down now. poo poo is coming together.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Feel bad for Anadyne tho.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kyte posted:

Feel bad for Anadyne tho.

At least she's doing better than her boyfriends.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Duane's been practicing the art of the badass one-liner, it seems. Good job Duane.

He deserves a hand for that zinger.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

He deserves a hand for that zinger.

Don't get too attached.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

Don't get too attached.

He has a pleasantly disarming sense of humor.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Some hints at Stockyard's background.

Seems like the whole first silver plot is completely hosed even without the tunnels being blocked, now? Or do they have more on the ship...?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Some hints at Stockyard's background.

Seems like the whole first silver plot is completely hosed even without the tunnels being blocked, now? Or do they have more on the ship...?

This was the First Silver plot. Delicieu and Cutter knew the silver was going to go critical before it ever left the port, and used Duane to accelerate the reaction. God knows why.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Long live the new flesh!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

This was the First Silver plot. Delicieu and Cutter knew the silver was going to go critical before it ever left the port, and used Duane to accelerate the reaction. God knows why.

Can someone give a summary of what we know about the conspiracy, the people involved, and its intended goal and execution? I've lost track of the details myself just trying to take in what is happening.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Can someone give a summary of what we know about the conspiracy, the people involved, and its intended goal and execution? I've lost track of the details myself just trying to take in what is happening.

From what we know, the plot is collaboration between two prominent Black Tongues (wrights who worship Ilganyag and are basically the mad scientists of the wizarding world), Delicieu and Bastion Winalils. Bastion appears to focus on medical magic that falls somewhere between "legitimate surgery" and "Revenge of Dr. Frankenstein," and is the one who gave Nary Frummagem the pendant used to control Duane. He speaks of Duane very highly, though the in-character Ask blogs suggest he only knew the man in passing. Delicieu hasn't actually showed up yet, but he's obsessed with the study of pain and its effects on the khert, and has a very bad reputation even among other Black Tongues. They both have agents who have been acting on their behalf within the town - Bastion's got Rahm (that one Crescian wright with no legs) and that frilly poet ghost, and Delicieu's agent is almost certainly Cutter.

What should have happened was a twofold plan. First, the Red Berry Boys, commissioned by Nary, would have surgically implanted the First Silver into people so that it would absorb their pain and mutate into a wound in the khert (it's unknown whether Bastion or Delicieu performed this procedure, but whichever one did name-dropped that "death is the gods' crime" tagline). They then would have taken the silver into Stockyard's territory and shipped it out to either Alderode or Cresce as it festered into a big magic WMD, triggering an international crisis for reasons unknown. The bad guys get paid and lots of people die, yaaaaay

Except that the second part of the plan, which the Black Tongues didn't tell anyone about, was to get Duane to the same location and dupe Stockyard into restraining him on the same boat. Duane's unique condition, connection to the khert, and bottomless supply of existential angst would make the silver go critical immediately, ripping the town apart in a spectacular way. Whether this was part of the plan all along or Delicieu undercutting Bastion remains to be seen. Not to mention there are other complications - the Red Berry Boys used children as the silver's hosts instead of adults on account of Starfish being a megacreep, and Rahm immediately severed his relationship with Bastion when he found out Delicieu was involved.

It's worth noting that the only people who actually know the long game here are those two Black Tongues. Every other character is involved with the plan in some way or another for reasons of their own, but none of them have a clue that their roles were all pre-selected by Bastion and Delicieu or how they're all connected to each other. Those two played the whole of Sharteshane like a screaming eel fiddle.

tldr; two crazy mages set about creating a magic agony-fueled nuke for reasons which started vague and are only getting vaguer.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 25, 2015

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I love how Duane is a thesaurus wielding nerd gently caress in addition to a lich because magic is basically on-the-fly programming in this setting and the mightiest scribes have to be giant nerds

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Thanks! That filled in the gaps in my vague understanding of events.

One thing I remember coming up earlier in the comic was that the queen of Cresce (or her sister, can't remember) was involved in it all somehow as well. I guess that is still all we know about that tangent?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Slashrat posted:

Thanks! That filled in the gaps in my vague understanding of events.

One thing I remember coming up earlier in the comic was that the queen of Cresce (or her sister, can't remember) was involved in it all somehow as well. I guess that is still all we know about that tangent?

The Queen does not appear to be directly involved. Several of the mid-ranking conspirators (such as Stockyard) believe that the objective is to use the silver WMD to support a coup against the Queen.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Oxxidation posted:

It's worth noting that the only people who actually know the long game here are those two Black Tongues. Every other character is involved with the plan in some way or another for reasons of their own, but none of them have a clue that their roles were all pre-selected by Bastion and Delicieu or how they're all connected to each other. Those two played the whole of Sharteshane like a screaming eel fiddle.

Are we sure even they know what's going on? One thing I remember was that Nary was supposed to be really explicit about how Stockyard had to handle this - 'Let Sette bring Duane where he needs to go.', and presumably, Duane was to make the journey willingly. Stockyard explicitly changed the plan - unsettled Sette and knocked her around, threw Duane into his crazy zombie torture device, AND on top of it all a bunch of side-poo poo went down at once. I'm pretty sure neither Nary nor the Blacktongues had accounted for Stockyard to murder one of his best friends and a Peaceguard duo to stick around murdering people left and right. Even Cutter seems to insist that what really set off the silver was how everyone else was behaving - it didn't blow on its own.

The only twist there is figuring out what role Lady Tittybird is playing, since she suggests she's able to see the past, present and future - and if that's true (and there's just one future), she may be feeding this info to the Blacktongues. Then again, maybe not.

And to comment on another theory I saw - Murkoph as Ssael seems odd to me, just because Murk early in made a reference to people waiting around for God to come back. Which to me sounds like he's talking about Ssael as another person altogether.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oxxidation posted:

Delicieu's agent is almost certainly Cutter.

You know, Cutter could be Delicieu himself. He's a psychopath with an obsession with pain and spellcraft other wrights don't recognise. And it'd be the perfect position from which to micromanage the scheme without drawing too much attention.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

VictorGrunn posted:

And to comment on another theory I saw - Murkoph as Ssael seems odd to me, just because Murk early in made a reference to people waiting around for God to come back. Which to me sounds like he's talking about Ssael as another person altogether.

Ssael could've become another person altogether, i.e. deified messiah into awful lunatic via millennia spent trapped in the world's subconscious. Or via something else entirely, there's still no real information on Murk/Ssael's history.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I take it back about the Plod handler, he was dumb enough to stick around so he's fair game.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Hiveminded posted:

Ssael could've become another person altogether, i.e. deified messiah into awful lunatic via millennia spent trapped in the world's subconscious. Or via something else entirely, there's still no real information on Murk/Ssael's history.

Maybe, but that just seems like too much of a narrative stretch. It'd require Murk either referring to himself in the third person in a real bizarre, isolated way, or just plain forgetting that he's Ssael. Especially since Murk knows absolutely everything about Duane that Sette knows, and he didn't even blink. No 'Oh haha one of my worshipers!', no twitch of recognition regarding this Ssael fellow Duane thunderingly talked about.

I could be wrong, of course. It just seemed off to me the moment I went back and saw Murk refer to God that way.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Autonomous Monster posted:

You know, Cutter could be Delicieu himself. He's a psychopath with an obsession with pain and spellcraft other wrights don't recognise. And it'd be the perfect position from which to micromanage the scheme without drawing too much attention.

I've just been assuming this was the case for a while.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

VictorGrunn posted:

Are we sure even they know what's going on? One thing I remember was that Nary was supposed to be really explicit about how Stockyard had to handle this - 'Let Sette bring Duane where he needs to go.', and presumably, Duane was to make the journey willingly. Stockyard explicitly changed the plan - unsettled Sette and knocked her around, threw Duane into his crazy zombie torture device, AND on top of it all a bunch of side-poo poo went down at once. I'm pretty sure neither Nary nor the Blacktongues had accounted for Stockyard to murder one of his best friends and a Peaceguard duo to stick around murdering people left and right. Even Cutter seems to insist that what really set off the silver was how everyone else was behaving - it didn't blow on its own.

The only twist there is figuring out what role Lady Tittybird is playing, since she suggests she's able to see the past, present and future - and if that's true (and there's just one future), she may be feeding this info to the Blacktongues. Then again, maybe not.

I'm wondering if the plot's objective isn't more along the lines of extracting something from the Khert. The silver and duane seem to be able to tear holes in the khert and enter/exit as necessary.

The overthrowing the queen bit may have been used to gather funds for the plot. Promise a bunch of rich people that they'll have more power via this plan to overthrow the queen but in reality the plot may only accomplish that as a side effect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've just been assuming this was the case for a while.

Reading back, Cutter mentions a "dear friend" with knowledge of Duane's condition, so yeah, he's probably in cahoots with Bastion. That lizard was the wizard all along.

It also means Jivi knocked this comic's nastiest antagonist on his rear end with a bit of wood. You go, Jivi.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I loved that panel of Jivi slamming Cutter in the face. Really got across the adrenaline-high.

Do we know where Starfish is? I need to see him get what's coming.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, Ana, at least you tried, right? That has to count for something.

Also Cutter is really enjoying all this.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Do we know where Starfish is? I need to see him get what's coming.

Last we saw he was still up in the brothel I think. He wasn't getting gutted yet but I don't think we saw him escape either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
For how much he was built up, Stockyard certainly didn't hang around for too long.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

For how much he was built up, Stockyard certainly didn't hang around for too long.

Must you go straight to the gallows humor? Show some respect for the poor man!

Anyhoo, looking forward to the upcoming fight. The duel between Duane and Quigley was good fun, and now Duane has something more imposing than an anemic, whiny goth to square off against.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Eh, he's been around for what, two chapters? Out of ten? It's a fair wodge.

I was surprised, actually, on reread, to discover how long we've been in this city. It's been about half the comic.

e:

Skippy McPants posted:

Must you go straight to the gallows humor?

:geno:

Well, gently caress.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

He should have quit while he was ahead. I guess he'll be a bit more detached about the whole thing now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This is why it's important to put together a good severance package for your people.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Oxxidation posted:

Reading back, Cutter mentions a "dear friend" with knowledge of Duane's condition, so yeah, he's probably in cahoots with Bastion. That lizard was the wizard all along.

It also means Jivi knocked this comic's nastiest antagonist on his rear end with a bit of wood. You go, Jivi.

Just read through the whole comic and Jivi is clearly the best.

also thank you BSS for introducing me to this terrible, beautiful piece of art to which I am now addicted.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

That monster is radical and Jivi should be incredibly thankful he got away in time.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Man, Ana is going to need tremendous amounts of therapy if she gets out of this alive.

And for anyone going with the Cutter = Delicieu theory - unless they waived the tongue tattoo for him, that doesn't seem likely.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum Finger posted:

also thank you BSS for introducing me to this terrible, beautiful piece of art to which I am now addicted.

Just in time for the month-long end of chapter break! :haw:

VictorGrunn posted:

And for anyone going with the Cutter = Delicieu theory - unless they waived the tongue tattoo for him, that doesn't seem likely.

Could be a glamour. :shrug:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

DrSnakeLaser posted:

That monster is radical and Jivi should be incredibly thankful he got away in time.

coulda been part of a radical monster tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

coulda been part of a radical monster tho

Monster design is radical, being part of monster is probably not so radical.