Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Starfish is gonna come roaring back as a pedo zombie, like Hakan in Let The Right One In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

Starfish is gonna come roaring back as a pedo zombie, like Hakan in Let The Right One In.

Thankfully, silver zombies don't seem to retain personality. Besides, it's time for a new story arc, our role of repulsive shitheel everyone hates will probably be taken over by Murkoph.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
It looks like Duane is allowing himself a more human appearance.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ATP5G1 posted:

It looks like Duane is allowing himself a more human appearance.
He has done that since his post-strangling conversation with Sette.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Holiday Card and Story...
http://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/135806868320/listen-twas-the-night-before-christmas-and-all

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Unsounded is a good comic and I like to read it!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

just four more days

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I felt that update was a little underwhelming, after a 2 month wait.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
What were you expecting, her to just eat her buffer all at once? Its a chapter cover, like all the rest of the returns.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm just glad Unsounded is back.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Gally posted:

What were you expecting, her to just eat her buffer all at once? Its a chapter cover, like all the rest of the returns.

This has been the longest break between chapters she's ever done. Not to say that a longer break wasn't probably needed after wrapping up the arc, but this took so long I honestly almost forgot about this comic. A 45 page buffer seems almost excessive, but I'm not making the comic and I'd rather she has what makes her comfortable. Given the average rate of updates it's like a quarter of a year in buffer.

Still wanting a page of the comic after more than two months of waiting isn't exactly crazy; it's hard to get excited about a chapter cover that doesn't even feature a single thing we've seen before, and I at least wanted to be hype about Unsounded coming back. Instead I'm waiting for Wednesday's update.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

akulanization posted:

doesn't even feature a single thing we've seen before

Jivi's on it, and that could be the Queen, who we haven't seen but has been a major background character for a while.

Chill dude, you'll get your REAL PAGE tomorrow.

(it will be 100% scene-setting with no dialogue)

e: That's not Jivi, that's just the outfit he was wearing. What was that, a school uniform?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 16, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Jivi's on it, and that could be the Queen, who we haven't seen but has been a major background character for a while.

Chill dude, you'll get your REAL PAGE tomorrow.

(it will be 100% scene-setting with no dialogue)

Uh could you like do an ms pain circle around Jivi, because I do not see him. Yes, both Jivi and Iomori(?) comment that it is a school uniform that they gave him.

Also not upset, just bummed. It's actually impossible to maintain hype for two months, and I didn't build any from that page. If you did then more power to you.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm gonna need way more good art up in my eyeballs before I can deign to muster any hype. I mean why can't you draw as fast as I can look at things??

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I'm gonna need way more good art up in my eyeballs before I can deign to muster any hype. I mean why can't you draw as fast as I can look at things??

said no one, but hey man i'm sure that your commitment to casting the most milquetoast of complaints as ridiculous hyperbole will be rewarded in shitposting heaven. clearly the reasonable fans like you should be talking about all the things in monday's page that got them excited.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I actually am pretty interested. Who do we think all these people are? Some of them are strangers. And those wings are loving boss.

The fact that Ashley built the buffer up that far probably gives you an idea of how long the next chapter is; in general, it takes more than a week to draw a week of Unsounded, so she builds up the buffer to whatever level is necessary to make it through the next chapter without having any breaks or missed days. She doesn't like the breaks any more than anybody else, but it's that or go to twice a week (which would be excruciating).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The previous chapter being what it was, I'm glad to see people happy and enjoying themselves.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I binged through the comic a couple days ago, so good timing. Reading it in one go the whole finale of the last chapter kind of mushed together a little, and it was really hard to figure out what was going on in a lot of the panels. That said I probably just missed the explanation somewhere, but how/why did flooding the tunnel save the day? Just by washing away all the people-goo that the silver was animating/feeding on?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Steelion posted:

I binged through the comic a couple days ago, so good timing. Reading it in one go the whole finale of the last chapter kind of mushed together a little, and it was really hard to figure out what was going on in a lot of the panels. That said I probably just missed the explanation somewhere, but how/why did flooding the tunnel save the day? Just by washing away all the people-goo that the silver was animating/feeding on?

Toma stabbed the silver's glowing weakpoints so it stopped trying to get people from the brothel on the surface and brought all it's mass into the caves, then the wall of water hit it when it wasn't attached to everything and it was washed away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

akulanization posted:

Toma stabbed the silver's glowing weakpoints so it stopped trying to get people from the brothel on the surface and brought all it's mass into the caves, then the wall of water hit it when it wasn't attached to everything and it was washed away.

The ocean is also anathema to the khert, so once it was submerged and cut off from the city it had nothing left to sustain itself with.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IIRC the Khert is something specifically tied to the continent the story takes place on. By washing Cutter's silver-tongued magical construct out to sea, our heroes have effectively isolated it and cut it (and Starfish) off from the rest of the world forever.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Oxxidation posted:

The ocean is also anathema to the khert, so once it was submerged and cut off from the city it had nothing left to sustain itself with.

Bad Seafood posted:

IIRC the Khert is something specifically tied to the continent the story takes place on. By washing Cutter's silver-tongued magical construct out to sea, our heroes have effectively isolated it and cut it (and Starfish) off from the rest of the world forever.

This is why I love this thread. You people help keep things sorted for the rest of us and make the comic more enjoyable to read. Thank you!

I was pretty hyped when I saw the cover--that's clearly the queen, and this chapter is bound to be all about her role and/or complicity in the silver weapon plot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so uh, what's going outside of the continent then

isn't the khert basically the underlying code of reality, to use an awful overused metaphor

does the world just recede into endless sea?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tollymain posted:

so uh, what's going outside of the continent then

isn't the khert basically the underlying code of reality, to use an awful overused metaphor

does the world just recede into endless sea?

If I recall, that's one of the big mysteries of the setting. Kasslyne exists as an isolated landmass, and exploration beyond it is difficult because traveling outside the Khert is deadly to hoomans.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Worse than deadly.

Dying at sea is the equivalent to getting locked out of the afterlife in this setting (since the Khert's a part of that too). Given the apparent reincarnation aspect, drowning is basically eternal damnation.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The people in Kasslyne believe that the khert created everything. That does not necessarily mean that their beliefs are accurate.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The gods are assholes and undeserving of worship.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bad Seafood posted:

Worse than deadly.
Dying at sea is the equivalent to getting locked out of the afterlife in this setting (since the Khert's a part of that too). Given the apparent reincarnation aspect, drowning is basically eternal damnation.
Have the sidebars mentioned anyone drowning people on purpose?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I read the first 10 chapters of this comic over the past two days. It was pretty good!

Unfortunately longform fantasy comics are excruciating to follow day-to-day. Welp, see y'all in four years or so!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, at least you hit a fantastic point to stop at

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Looks like the conspiracy about the silver in Cresce runs high up the ladder indeed.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gally posted:

Looks like the conspiracy about the silver in Cresce runs high up the ladder indeed.

First: link to comic.

Second: smugness. (This only confirms the second prediction I made in that post, but the first one still seems pretty likely to me.)

Third:

Jesus Christ.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always gotta love the everyman criticizing the overly elaborate conspiracy.

"Hey idiot, maybe just tell her to stay quiet, clerks are easier to persuade than bodies are to hide."

I'd really like it if in every future palace scene, there's a little investigation going on in the background about either a mysterious disappearance or a sloppily hidden dead body.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Bad Seafood posted:

This is true for the regular khert. First materials (what all magic items/pymarics are made of) contain their own isolated khert (why Quigley can't cast directly on the silver when fighting it) and don't care about whether or not they're around the regular khert. That silver got washed away, but it doesn't care whether or not it's on land, and it will be coming back.

The khert follows the ground, so it's not that it doesn't exist over the ocean, it's that it exists at the bottom of the ocean and is consequently useless for anybody bobbing around in a boat.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Is General Bell tasting the blood of the woman he just backstabbed? Might as well carry a hosed-up villain card

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Might be a penance thing? "Remember the blood of those you've killed," or something. Wouldn't be surprised to learn Ashley's got a huge folder full of worldbuilding details she lets out on a slow drip.

I've heard a lot of people complain Unsounded gets a bit exposition heavy at times, but that's mostly reserved for when it has to roll out and explain large concepts. It's a lot more subtle and economical when it comes to the little touches that make things believable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Or he's just kinda hosed up, but that works too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is a world where they murder one out of every pair of twins for religious reasons, i wouldn't be surprised if minor ritual cannibalism after violence was a thing

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Or he's just kinda hosed up, but that works too.
Either or.

I dunno, just feels a step removed from "Bad guy licks the blade of his knife to show he's twisted," so on some level I wanna feel like there's at least a little bit more to it than that. It's fine if there isn't though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

The khert follows the ground, so it's not that it doesn't exist over the ocean, it's that it exists at the bottom of the ocean and is consequently useless for anybody bobbing around in a boat.

Huh, does that mean that magical flight would be impossible as well? If it's simply an issue of how far away from the ground you are, that would imply that any pymary you take a few hundred feet off the earth would begin to fail, right?