Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Goatmask posted:

So whats the deal with the eels? Spirits or something? Some smoke eels turned up earlier didn't they?

Here (and the next few pages). From what the girl is saying in her semi-hallucinatory state, they convey souls to the afterlife, possibly? Sette also noted that only "Aldish heathens" burn corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

by Uaid dying

I started reading this comic and got caught up back at the beginning of the whole weird sequence in the khert through duane's shadow, and in between now and then it keeps hitting me how few, like, decent people there are in this world. I mean, we don't need this to be Cucumber Quest but it feels hard to root for anyone, particularly among the adults. The comic's scale of evilness seems to run on "how willing is this character to commit atrocities" and it runs from Lex Luthor to Hitler.

Toma and Elka?

And by now there seem to be a good number of characters who are, at worst, just trying to get by in a lovely world. I think once the horror kicks into high gear the moral lines will be more clear; Ana and Toby certainly seem to be heading this way.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Toma has somehow managed to channel his extraordinary Wife Guy energy into being a total badass, and that's why he is the true hero here.

It makes total sense that he's the one who would snap Duane out of his self-delusional funk as they are, at heart, two complete and utter dorks in their own way.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Disney animators famously kept pinups of Ariel with her seashells off in their cubicles but it's not like they included those as extras in the 30th anniversary blu-ray.

Ald is basically War Crimes: The Country so in retrospect it's not surprising that a country accustomed to using child soldiers would be rampant with CSA* but it's the sort of thing a) you'd hope would be kept to subtext, or failing that, b) you'd hope one of the protagonists of the comic would have been above, or failing that, c) it would be an important reveal, as well as being entirely consistent with the recent developments explicitly displaying that character's many damaging flaws), or failing all that, that at least d) the artist themself wouldn't basically give it a positive endorsement

*CSA = child sexual abuse

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 3, 2022

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

"All characters in this extremely questionable manga are definitely over 18, we swear"

In all seriousness I'm not asking for anyone's long-form birth certificates here but even leaving aside the question of age the power/authority imbalance is still a real thing.

Edit: Not to mention unexplored issues of maturity and consent in a fantasy world with vastly different life spans

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 3, 2022

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Years have passed since then, at this point more Alds may just think of him more as a scary bedtime story than as a living person. If he could be under your bed he could be anywhere!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Definitely more than what she paid for the boots in the first place. A Frummagem always know who's gots the leverage.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Most people lose their identities in the khert when they die, so the khert ghosts probably aren't literally those people, unless they explained how the silver changes that up. Or their memories are still fresh and pre-dissolution. Still, the ghosts seem more to be basing themselves off whatever memories they pick up from you that can gently caress you up the most, regardless if the people are living or dead. Bell thinks Karl is dead (for Bell's ambitions, like the other ghosts in that panel), so the khert is taunting him with that (though whether Bell has enough conscience to care anymore is another question).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Lost track of him when the second vliegeng hit the tower.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I feel like Duane and Elka are taking the "ribbing as a means of communicating mutual respect when it's still too difficult to say so overtly" a touch too far but drat if it isn't hilarious.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Twenty Four posted:

I did have pause at panel 4 and go, "why is she speaking Tanish? Where did that torc come from?" Then kept reading and went "oh.. yeah, checks out I guess, not sure how it came to be yet, but that tracks." Fun details.

Had to magnify the image, I guess panel 3 is Bastion doing his teleport/Bugs-Bunny-tunneling trick to lift the wheelchair out of the way, and panel 4 you see an effect that is presumably him using that to put the torc on her neck.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Emzedoh posted:

:bignews: in today's update. Is this the first time we've heard about this purpose for the Silver?

Think so, yeah. Whoo doggies, that's a lot of text for one panel. Bastion sure loves to hear himself talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I mean, just imagine how much poo poo you can steal when you can break panels like that.