Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
So whats the deal with the eels? Spirits or something? Some smoke eels turned up earlier didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Hallgerd posted:

The author's formspring has a ridiculous amount of extra detail about the comic. I don't know if it's good or bad because it can kind of spoil you on mysteries or interesting bits of the setting, but it's huge.

Yeah ok, hadn't realised that existed. Haven't really checked it out yet, but not sure I really want to. What I want to read is a narrative, a story. I'm not really interested in reading an encyclopedia containing an in depth guide to how everything fits together or the author answering questions on what hasn't been answered yet in the text. Not that in this case these answers seem necessary to read the story, and look at me asking you guys about things I don't understand, but I guess I feel the story should be one of discovery and exist on its own, not where everything is laid out for us.

But then again, am I being too "conservative" in what I want in storytelling? With the flexibility offered by publishing on the internet, it is license for authors to try new things. A running blog/Q&A/whatever could certainly be used to enhance the text, and I feel that you could maybe weave story elements or a certain narrative through it that could maybe add another layer to the tale. And it does offer ways for you to interact with your audience.

I dunno, I mean its pretty inoffensive, I just feel it sort of lessens the comic unless its handled well.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Well, I dunno, I think this most recent update may have crossed a line for me. I really don't want to spend anymore time with this character.