Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My second Lamy 2000 did that and ... it weirdly "fixed itself" ... all I can think is that whatever grease it came with worked itself into more space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Try giving the Franklin Christoph a soak in some warm water and a drop or two of dish soap for a bit. There could be some residual ink that's hardened and is gunking up the threads. If that doesn't help, get a piece of something grippy (rubber, slip-resist mats, whatever you have handy) and wrap that around the nib. Grip firmly and gently try to rotate the nib unit back and forth a couple of times then unscrew. Sometimes that can help, too.

If all else fails, you can pull the nib and feed out and stick a chopstick or pencil into the housing and use that to unscrew it.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 22, 2024

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, especially one with a heat control on it, that can be a godsend for loosening up parts that are jammed together by old ink. Just don't put vintage ebonite pens in there-- water makes old hard rubber oxidize and turn brown.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Whiskey and pliers was always my go to

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

I found a little rubber mat thing and got the FC open. I’ve been deep cleaning the pens that have been out of rotation in an ultrasonic cleaner (game changer).

Lamy still has the metal gasket, so I think everything will be okay. We may now return to our regularly scheduled financially crippling pen hobby.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

One of my Lamy Safaris has started to get hella nib creep, what's going on with that? Is there something going wrong with my pen?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Check for cracks in your barrel or grip. Mine started doing that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

One of my Lamy Safaris has started to get hella nib creep, what's going on with that? Is there something going wrong with my pen?

Nib creep is generally a combination of the ink you're using and some imperfection (eg. a small scratch) along the nib slit.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

I get awful nib creep in all my Lamys when using red ink, several safaris and an LX. I just learned to accept it

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I used to have that problem in a couple of Lamys in which I used to use Noodler's ink. My takeaway from that (and a few other things) was don't use Noodler's ink.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's Van Dieman's Aurora Australis, which is a perfectly serviceable warm purple, but my god I think it's the worst nib creep I've ever seen.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I know Lamy is beloved but I have always had bad experiences with their quality control.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My Safari is suffering from creep, too, with Diamine Oxblood, which has always seemed to be very well-behaved. My Vista has had Emerald of Chivor and River of Fire in it and neither of those have done it, but I think it's quality control variation, yeah.

Ordered a bottle of Robert Oster Thunderstorm. I am a huge sucker for good blue-black inks.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Here's a new to me Parker Vacumatic that I finished restoring and re-assembling earlier today. Probably 1933-35? It's got a lock-down filler and is the marbled emerald pearl colour. The pen has a remarkable degree of transparency, though it is not apparent at the moment because the pen is full of ink. It has a slightly flexible medium nib and my wife has already tried to claim it as her own. She cannot have it as there is already a Montblanc of mine in her possession that sees irregular use.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Fearless posted:

my wife has already tried to claim it as her own. She cannot have it as there is already a Montblanc of mine in her possession that sees irregular use.

You monster, you restrict your wife's fountain pen usage???

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Volkova III posted:

You monster, you restrict your wife's fountain pen usage???

I wouldn't if she actually used them regularly. Letting a Vacumatic collect dust is just offensive.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fearless posted:

I wouldn't if she actually used them regularly. Letting a Vacumatic collect dust is just offensive.

Speaking of Vacumatics, here's something I just finished repairing the nib on:

A double-jeweled Senior Maxima in Azure stripe, with the original box and matching pencil.

The rarest Vacumatic ever made, and only the second one I've ever handled. Pretty much the Holy Grail for Vac collectors. A little worn, but the transparency is still good end to end.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Goddamn that's pretty.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

howe_sam posted:

Goddamn that's pretty.

:hmmyes:

I have a Visconti that has a crack, perpendicular from the bottom of the barrel if that makes sense. I should post a picture. I was thinking of just crazy gluing the crack but that feels like I'd be committing a crime, is there a better way to go about fixing something like that?

Here's a shot of the full pen, my prettiest by far. It's not supposed to have a gap, but I don't want to risk aggravating things more than they already have been.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 24, 2024

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

For clarity: this is how I would do the repair, and I am not definitively stating that this is how the repair should be done. I'd be inclined to flow a thin CA glue into the crack, clamp it down with a dentist's clamp (coated in some kind of release agent, of course) and once it's set up go about sanding down and polishing the repair site.

Make sure you clean the area in need of repair though-- if there is any ink buildup it can interfere with an effective repair and also make the repair more visible.

grack posted:

Speaking of Vacumatics, here's something I just finished repairing the nib on:

A double-jeweled Senior Maxima in Azure stripe, with the original box and matching pencil.

The rarest Vacumatic ever made, and only the second one I've ever handled. Pretty much the Holy Grail for Vac collectors. A little worn, but the transparency is still good end to end.

Beautiful! Is that yours?

Fearless fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 24, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fearless posted:

Beautiful! Is that yours?

I wish it were, but it belongs to a member of my local pen club. I have it in hand because the nib was damaged in a drop and needed repair, and I'm pretty much the only person in my city that will do complex nib work without heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

That reminds me, there was someone here who was looking for an acrylic pen that looked like stacked celluloid, and I think one recently came out that really nails the look: the Magna Carta Mag 600. It comes in a few different color variations, too.