Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was looking at the Vac700 last night, and also looking at the Mini. I don't have any pens with an EF nib at the moment either and that looked like a good option with the Mini to have something to use with the pocket notebook I keep in my bag, but my pen budget tends to linger in the "under $20" range so I just keep thinking "man I could buy a lot of ink with that money instead..." :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

I want to get a set of beginner's fountain pens. I'm considering getting the Pilot Metropolitan, a Lamy Safari with an extra fine tip, and an italic pen. I haven't figured out which italic pen I would get, but I have this $6 Sheaffer pen that I found at Staples and it's the worst fountain pen I have ever used. It just feels so abrasive when I write on the page. Any suggestions for a pen with an italic nib at <$30?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Pigasus posted:

I want to get a set of beginner's fountain pens. I'm considering getting the Pilot Metropolitan, a Lamy Safari with an extra fine tip, and an italic pen. I haven't figured out which italic pen I would get, but I have this $6 Sheaffer pen that I found at Staples and it's the worst fountain pen I have ever used. It just feels so abrasive when I write on the page. Any suggestions for a pen with an italic nib at <$30?

The Lamy Safari has a detachable nib that you can buy replacements of in any size. For $12.50 you can get an italic nib (in three different widths) and just swap them out to try them. Someone else more knowledgeable about italics might know more, but I think that's the best bet for an italic nib at less than $30.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can buy an italic nib for a safari for :10bux:

e: beaten

Welsper fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 28, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Pigasus posted:

The Pilot Plumix is around ten dollars and has a pretty decent italic nib. Extra bonus is that it can be swapped with the nib from the Metropolitan, and even buying both just for the purpose of changing the nib with the classier metro well stay within your budget.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Brightman posted:

I saw some discussion on this the other day somewhere (I forgot where, doesn't seem to be on fpn, so maybe it was on a blog) and the only other noticeable differences are the clip style, larger o-rings for the grip section, and also a metal bit in the grip that holds the nib assembly, which is also to help prevent cracking as people seemed to have a hard time lining up the notches and not just cramming it in there.
So if you're pen is cracked, then this might be a good idea, but otherwise yeah, what 404notfound said.

My grip area is slightly cracked and I've never misaligned the notches on it. :( I've debated on emailing them about it only because they are very minor and not inhibiting the performance of the pen. I know they'll probably just send me a replacement piece but I'd really be satisfied with just purchasing one. I'm trying to say: I don't feel any entitlement to a new part and would just like to pay for it.

Nov 7, 2012
I give terrible advice in E/N and post nothing worth anybody's time.

i might be a social cripple irl
Just got the Baoer Skywalker. It's pretty nice looking, screw top, and comes with the ink converter for only 8 bucks. Not bad at all.

312 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

312 posted:

Just got the Baoer Skywalker. It's pretty nice looking, screw top, and comes with the ink converter for only 8 bucks. Not bad at all.

I have one of these as well and the only complaint I have is that it's a pretty hard starter. Once you get it going it writes just fine with little to no skipping, but getting it going can sometimes be a bear.

Nov 7, 2012

I did read about that, but it hasn't been a problem for me. Maybe the ink I'm using, or the frequency?

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

312 posted:

I did read about that, but it hasn't been a problem for me. Maybe the ink I'm using, or the frequency?

What ink are you using in it? I had Noodler's Polar Green in it, which admittedly might be the issue.

Nov 7, 2012

Noodler's La coleur Royale, I've only had it for a little while though, so it might happen if I let it sit a couple days. Anyway for 8 bucks I thought it was really nice.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I happened to pick up a Lamy Safari/Vista EF clear demonstrator via Amazon (a z-shop, fulfilled by amazon) and I noticed looking at it under bright light, that it looks like there's some bluish tint on some of the feed and maybe around the part (nipple?) that punctures a cartridge. I'd assume that's a sign of usage, or are they tested at the factory, etc? This pen was sold as new.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

You're correct. Most pen manufacturers test their nibs often with a small amount of blueish ink.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

The Hebug posted:

You're correct. Most pen manufacturers test their nibs often with a small amount of blueish ink.

Ok, then I'm less worried. I wouldn't be surprised by a test, more surprised by it being evident (not cleaned in some fashion, etc). Thanks!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Yep! Lamy pens are always tested with Lamy blue ink but never cleaned out afterward. Give the pen a good rinse with some water and a little ammonia or dish soap to get any of the dried ink out.

This is something that should be in the OP!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
TWSBI just released more pics of the IROC 850.

This thing can't go on sale soon enough! I hope to see that series expanded to different metallic colors, but for now it's really nice.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

This thing can't go on sale soon enough! I hope to see that series expanded to different metallic colors, but for now it's really nice.

Yeah I'd love to see this in a darker sort of slate grey.
Also thanks to everyone mentioning the Lamy / blue ink testing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fayk posted:

Yeah I'd love to see this in a darker sort of slate grey.
Also thanks to everyone mentioning the Lamy / blue ink testing.

I think someone here or on FPN mentioned the idea of anodized titanium. That dark metalis brown would look great. My only disappointment is that the brushed metal didn't work out.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Pigasus posted:

A Pilot 78G in bold would fit the bill.
http://www.stationeryart.com/writing-instruments-fountain-c-21_24.html?sort=4a&amp;currency=GBP
Four different colours and Hong Kong post is pretty fast, I normally get them just after a week in the UK.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Solkanar512 posted:

That does look pretty sweet. Any other reason this seems to be so anticipated?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

uXs posted:

I'm guessing because pictures have been released of this thing for a year or so and a metal, piston fill pen in the price range that mere mortals can afford gets folks hot and bothered. Prices haven't been finalized, but Goulet Pens reported a price around $200.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

uXs posted:

TWSBI likes for their customers to enjoy their pens. They get excited, we get excited, it's nice to have fun with a company who actually seems to give a drat about what the community thinks about them.

Seriously, I think that's about it. They seem like a good company that makes nice pens.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

iostream.h posted:

They seem like a good company that makes nice pens.

Yeah, this is a huge part of it. The TWSBI folks makes nice pens that are an incredible value and make themselves available to the community.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Neat. Makes me interested in getting one. But it seems rather a lot of money, especially for a pen that - as far as I know? - I can only order online and as such can't test before I buy. :/

I'm left-handed so getting one that has just the right amout of flow is rather important.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

uXs posted:

Neat. Makes me interested in getting one. But it seems rather a lot of money, especially for a pen that - as far as I know? - I can only order online and as such can't test before I buy. :/

I'm left-handed so getting one that has just the right amout of flow is rather important.

Pen prices go way over the map to be honest. I mean yeah, if I end up buying one it will be the most expensive one in my collection by a large margin, but there are pens that retail for thousands.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Ah, I can't wait to get back home and try out my new Metro pen. My sister got me a bottle of Fuyugaki and I picked up a couple of preppy platinums from Kinokuniya when I was in LA yesterday. I want to try them out sooooo bad.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

uXs posted:

Neat. Makes me interested in getting one. But it seems rather a lot of money
If it helps you, I carry my TWSBI as often as any of the (in some cases) much more expensive pens I have. They're really good pens, especially for how little they cost (overall).

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
So my Singularity came in with some more ink. So I have a blue pen and a black pen... I think it's only logical to go red pen with red ink next. I've found myself just writing a lot for the sake of how nice it feels. I like the fine nib a lot so far, and I was curious is it easy to replace the Metropolitan nib from medium to fine as well?

Is it just as simple as swapping it out - or are there "incompatible" nibs out there?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Audax posted:

Is it just as simple as swapping it out - or are there "incompatible" nibs out there?

I don't know if there are any reasons it would be ill-advised, but: http://createwritedrink.blogspot.com/2013/01/swapping-nibs-between-pilot-pens-part-2.html

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Audax posted:

So my Singularity came in with some more ink. So I have a blue pen and a black pen... I think it's only logical to go red pen with red ink next. I've found myself just writing a lot for the sake of how nice it feels. I like the fine nib a lot so far, and I was curious is it easy to replace the Metropolitan nib from medium to fine as well?

Any of the pilot nibs of that shape should be just fine. As I've stated here, I swapped a Plumix nib on to my Metropolitans and its been fantastic.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just got one of these. Seems nice so far.
http://dx.com/p/hero-exquisite-stainless-steel-fountain-pen-black-143851

Amazingly, it only took two weeks from order to it arriving at my doorstep. Dealextreme, fast? WHAT.

Edit: Also it is my first piston-filler.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 4, 2013

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
How could you get that, but not the 3 in 1 FP/Butane Lighter/Flashlight? Don't you know a deal when you see it!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

angerbot posted:

How could you get that, but not the 3 in 1 FP/Butane Lighter/Flashlight? Don't you know a deal when you see it!

I have trusted DealExtreme with things. A flask (which will probably kill me), the LED pig (which is awesome and everyone should have one. Or a dozen), and assorted electronic bullshit that I am in no rush to get.

But something with gas that can blow up? When I ordered that I was not THAT drunk!

Well poo poo I need to order the 3 in one next time I get shitfaced.

Edit: Link for future reference
http://dx.com/p/3-in-1-fountain-pen-w-butane-lighter-white-illuminating-light-black-silver-3-x-ag4-180713

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 4, 2013

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, I'm waiting for the 4-in-1 model where it excretes sealing wax from a star-shape play-doh fun factory nozzle as well.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

My inoxcrom stopped flowing for some reason :(

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

angerbot posted:

I feel like that pen would be right up the Noodler guy's alley. You can use it in the dark thanks to the flashlight, and if you need to, you can burn the documents so no one can read your :tinfoil: secrets.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

:psyduck:

How do you even get ink in that thing? I might be tempted to get one just for the novelty of it.

e:

Brightman posted:

I feel like that pen would be right up the Noodler guy's alley. You can use it in the dark thanks to the flashlight, and if you need to, you can burn the documents so no one can read your :tinfoil: secrets.

If you could swap out that LED for a UV one, it would actually have a practical purpose with the Noodler's blacklight inks!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

How do you even get ink in that thing? I might be tempted to get one just for the novelty of it.

e:

If you could swap out that LED for a UV one, it would actually have a practical purpose with the Noodler's blacklight inks!

I don't think it's refillable, can't tell from the picture. You might be able to mod it in some way to make it refillable possible. Also yeah, if you could get one with a UV light that would be fantastic for all your :tinfoil: needs.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Brightman posted:

Careful now, or he'll come up with fire-proof ink.

cobalt impurity posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

How am I supposed to spend my hard-earned American Dollars on some cheap piece of crap that doesn't even work? If I'm paying less than $5 for a 3-in-1, it drat well better be a 3-in-1, and be the scratchiest, paper shreddingest thing on the planet. :colbert: