Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just ordered a Lamy 2000 and some black Quink.

It's Quink a good no frills black? I don't want bulletproof, because I already put my Custom Heritage 92 through the wash loaded with Tiananmen. Luckily, it came out completely!

I am going to use my Lamy 2000 to study actuarial science and look good doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

dexefiend posted:

It's Quink a good no frills black? I don't want bulletproof, because I already put my Custom Heritage 92 through the wash loaded with Tiananmen. Luckily, it came out completely!

I am going to use my Lamy 2000 to study actuarial science and look good doing it.

Quink is about the best behaved, no-frills black you can find. It was designed to work in essentially every pen and do so well. If all you want is black--no shading, no bulletproof, no nothing aside from black--you can't go wrong.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

dexefiend posted:

As someone who has just picked up a Lamy 2000, it is a super sweet pen that (at least during the honeymoon phase) really makes you want to look for more reasons to keep writing. I only have Lamy Blue in it now, which is functional and whatever, but Quink Black is definitely a solid, reliable ink and should also work well.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of Lamy 2000s, new massdrop

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm glad I found this thread! I thought that fountain pens would be way more obsure than they are. My girlfriend just bought me a fountain pen as a gift, a Cross Classic Century. I enjoy writing with it, I like how slim and light it is; I've been reading this thread and others and I have some concerns though. Apparently it can only accept the Cross slim ink cartridges, no converters (made by Cross, at least) will fit it. Is that the case, or has anyone here had any experience otherwise?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
No experience with it personally, but the one good thing about cartridges is they can be refilled. Buy yourself a bottle of your favourite ink, then get some blunt-tipped syringes and inject ink into the cleaned-out cartridge, then reinsert them and go nuts! The caveat is that cartridges aren't made with this use in mind and are generally kind of flimsy. The friction-fit coupling will eventually wear out on some and start leaking, but then you can just get more cartridges.

Alternatively, buy a Metro.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of Lamy 2000s, new massdrop

Welp :retrogames:

Granted that's like 55 bucks off, so that's pretty decent, plus as I recently mentioned I haven't gotten a new pen in over a year.

cobalt impurity posted:

No experience with it personally, but the one good thing about cartridges is they can be refilled. Buy yourself a bottle of your favourite ink, then get some blunt-tipped syringes and inject ink into the cleaned-out cartridge, then reinsert them and go nuts! The caveat is that cartridges aren't made with this use in mind and are generally kind of flimsy. The friction-fit coupling will eventually wear out on some and start leaking, but then you can just get more cartridges.

Alternatively, buy a Metro.

I have blunt-tipped syringes for a cartridge filler, and the cartridge I have is just bad for this option, it's just a plastic cylinder, no lip or bottle neck or anything, so it ended up leaking everywhere. If the cartridges are more like Pilot or Lamy ones it should be fine. The syringes are also handy for other things.

Of course the Metro is always the real answer.

Edit: Speaking of Metros, you can get 2 on Massdrop for 24. Not as much savings as the Lamy, but good if you want to get gifts or something.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 23, 2014

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This is my first fountain pen, and admittedly the sentimentality of the gift plays a role in wanting to use it. I like the way it writes and feels, I just don't like the ink at all (which is I guess a known issue with Cross inks). I watched a bunch of videos from the Goulet Pen Company about cleaning pens and refilling cartridges, so I'll give that spin. Looking at the cartridges, they seem to have a pretty straightforward, flimsy friction based coupling so I don't have a ton of hope for how well they'll work for re-use.

I also bought a Metro, because that's the consensus literally everywhere, and a bottle of Noodlers Black Bulletproof because of basically the same thing. Those should be here by Saturday so I look forward to playing with new toys!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Man, I really want a Mabie-Todd Swan. Why do they have to be so pricey and only available in the UK :(

Do you mean vintage or modern? IIRC the MT Swan company now is just a shell of it's former glory.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Brightman posted:

Welp :retrogames:

Granted that's like 55 bucks off, so that's pretty decent, plus as I recently mentioned I haven't gotten a new pen in over a year.

Glad to be of assistance. :v:

Speaking of massdrop, how long do they take to ship the item once the drop finishes? I was kinda counting on it arriving by Tuesday so my Godmother could bring it over from the states, but I think I'll have to pick it up myself when I fly over in March. I wanted my Falcon :(

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV :negative:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 23, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Glad to be of assistance. :v:

Speaking of massdrop, how long do they take to ship the item once the drop finishes? I was kinda counting on it arriving by Tuesday so my Godmother could bring it over from the states, but I think I'll have to pick it up myself when I fly over in March. I wanted my Falcon :(

I think this said it was estimated to ship November 14th :(

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Welp, I ordered that Falcon but I guess I could get in on that 2000. It was on sale for the same amount recently though and I do believe someone in this very thread said it isn't THAT great a deal, so be sure to check prices elsewhere first.

Also I think I may get some decent paper and work on some handwriting practice with a stub. Is it Dotpads all the way or should I consider a Goulet sampler or just mess up my lovely dollar notepad I keep on my desk?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Brightman posted:

I think this said it was estimated to ship November 14th :(

November 4th.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Noctone posted:

November 4th.

Nope:

Massdrop posted:

Shipping
Domestic and international orders will be shipped by Massdrop.

Estimated shipping date: November 14, 2014.

After the drop ends, check the discussion page for updates.

Is it bad that I really only want one of these because Neil Gaiman has one?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

We were talking about the Pilot Falcon.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Noctone posted:

Too many pens on Massdrop! Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Ohio Pen Show in 2 weeks!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Noctone posted:

I was talking about the Lamy 2000 and realize I was answering a question about the Falcon. However the outcome is still sadly the same.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011
I did it again....bought the metropolitan pack.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Falcon came in the other day but I've been sick all week, finally got a chance today to play around with it a bit. Pretty decent line variation on the SF nib, will be curious how much of a difference I'll see on the SEF I ordered on Massdrop. Ink is Iroshizuku Ina-Ho (lovely lighting really undersells the subtlety of the color). Really looking forward to the day when my handwriting is better/more consistent.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Noctone posted:

Really looking forward to the day when my handwriting is better/more consistent.

Just rub it in, why don't you? (Your writing's phenomenal, and I'm enveloped in jealousy right now.)

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Aaaargh. Every time I see the Faber-Castell Basic, I think I should like it, but once I really *look* at it, it looks like a Papermate Profile that grew up and moved to the big city and bought a really unfortunate hat.

At least their Cobalt Blue ink is really swanky.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
My Pilot Metropolitan showed up and I took it for a test drive. Comparison with the Cross pen and ink I had received are here. I love writing with the Cross because it was a gift and I'm sentimental, but god drat what a difference the right pen and ink makes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Augh, son of a bitch. I just dropped my Metro and bent the poo poo out of the nib. It was one I pulled off a Plumix so I'll have to get a new one to replace it. I tried to straighten it out but it landed tip down apparently and was creased all to hell. Very annoying, because it was my favorite and now I have to write with the boring M nib it came with until I can get a replacement.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
See now if you were like the rest of us and had a glut of pens this wouldn't be a problem. :D

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hey goons, guess what I got in the mail today! :dance:

...Pardon the terrible handwriting :v:

e. And the blurry photo too :v: :v:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Prera is a vastly underrated pen imo, mine writes incredibly smoothly as well. No hard starts, no skipping, nada.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Noctone posted:

Prera is a vastly underrated pen imo, mine writes incredibly smoothly as well. No hard starts, no skipping, nada.

Slides out of the cap very easily though. Permanently bent a nib when one slipped out of its cap and hit hard tile. :<

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Noctone posted:

See now if you were like the rest of us and had a glut of pens this wouldn't be a problem. :D

Well I have 4 others inked alongside it, but it was still my current favorite :v:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Weird. Mine fits very snugly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
As does mine, though it's brand new so maybe it'll loosen a bit with use.

One thing I don't particularly care for is that it's shorter than other pens I'm used to, and I have to post it to give it a proper balance and write comfortably. With my previous pens I simply held the cap in my off hand.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

aldantefax posted:

Slides out of the cap very easily though. Permanently bent a nib when one slipped out of its cap and hit hard tile. :<

I have one but I never wore it clipped to my clothes. It is a tiny FP though and somewhat overpriced when imported overseas. It writes very fine if not dry.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My Platinum Preppy's cap has stopped gripping as well as it used to. That's a bit problematic since it is the one I use the most, and the ONLY one I ink with Heart of Darkness.

Literally, my workhorse pen.

Also my 10 pack of Hero 3266/360 degree pens has arrived. Now I just have to wait for the 15 bottle ink parcel I ordered on September to arrive to be prepared for the christmas season.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 1, 2014

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Luisfe posted:

My Platinum Preppy's cap has stopped gripping as well as it used to.

Is it cracked at all? Mine did the same, and I wrapped the end in strips of duct tape and it's all better!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So i read the fountainpens guys over at reddit and somebody just posted this beauty.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Tulip posted:

So i read the fountainpens guys over at reddit and somebody just posted this beauty.

TBH I don't really like fancy acrylic pens. I don't think I'd like anything else I'd own to be red and sparkly; it just seems sort of tacky.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Just got a Waterman "Phileas" and have been playing around with it over my metro. The plastic barrel feels far too light in my hand. I'm not sure if it's the fine nib instead of the Metro's medium or the weight, but I feel like my writing is much more uneven and "scratchy".

Can anyone comment on if they have had similar experiences going from medium to fine and with radically differing body weights?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tulip posted:

Well that's interesting, the nib on that pen looks exactly (with different logos of course) like the gold plated steel nibs that Goulet sells.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Landsknecht posted:

TBH I don't really like fancy acrylic pens. I don't think I'd like anything else I'd own to be red and sparkly; it just seems sort of tacky.

Not something i'd want for myself but something i'm glad exists, if that makes any sense.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Solkanar512 posted:

Well that's interesting, the nib on that pen looks exactly (with different logos of course) like the gold plated steel nibs that Goulet sells.

I believe both Edison and Goulet source their steel nibs from Jowo.

I own an Edison Nouveau Premiere in the Autumn Harvest acrylic. It's a pretty pen, shimmering slightly under direct light, and the nib is pretty darn smooth. I really like it. I've been eying one of the Colliers in Persimmon Swirl... it's very tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Can anyone comment on if they have had similar experiences going from medium to fine and with radically differing body weights?

It varies depending on each FP's nib and materials. For a example, I'm a fan of JP FP companies because most of their line up is HQ and consistent at good prices. Later on into the hobby I created a list for all my preferences down to weight and total length to save time.

I'm not too crazy about gold/red color scheme but I like the FP style.