Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

teraflame posted:

Yeah I was set on buying it until I tried it at a store. The step on the grip to body is sharp and the taper is too narrow for me to hold comfortably.

...I ended up buying a Vanishing Point instead.

You did the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I don't understand how you can write holding the pen like halfway up the barrel instead of on the grip.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pienipple posted:

I don't understand how you can write holding the pen like halfway up the barrel instead of on the grip.

Big Hands, for some. Gripping higher can also be a method for reducing downward force. In my highschool tech drawing class we were taught to hold the drafting pencil very high up when drawing ruled lines that would eventually be erased; this produced very light marks that were easy to erase after use.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 11, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I bought one of these two weeks ago
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jinhao165-Wine-And-Gold-Mesh-Scales-Medium-Nib-Fountain-Pen-New-/261253870239

That's seriously the fastest time I've ever gotten ANY Chinese thing over the internet.
It writes really smooth and I like it. But seriously, two weeks total in transit. I was expecting it to be like 2 months.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

For me, the value of the metro is that I can bring it out of the house on the occasions that I am worried about losing a pen or getting mugged or something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My choice for those uses is the Pelikan Future, which is no where near as smooth/nice as the metro, but fits my hand perfectly. Even though I don't like it for myself the Metro is a beautiful pen for the price.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up a rose gold and carbon invincia at a swap meet for 5. Just needs a good cleaning. I was eyeing one of these at msrp last week so score.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Be careful with the Vac700 I sound up looking like I murdered a smurf when the top came undone when I was opening up the feed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I need something with a rather wide nib in a short notice for a class so, sadly, having something shipped from Goulet is out of the question.

My only choice right now, from what I can get locally, seems to be a Rotring Art Pen with a 2.3mm italic nib. Any input on these?

Also, I currently have a Rotring fountain pen fitted with an international converter; it should work on the Art Pen, right?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Sheaffer Viewpoints can be had in 1.1, 1.5, and 1.8 mm italic sizes from Staples and Michaels'. They're ok, I use a 1.8 one at work a lot. $5-7, comes with two cartridges. Cheap stop-gap if you want to order something nicer in the meantime.

If you wanted to use it with bottled ink the cheapest I've seen the converters is $8 from isellpens.com. Take the rubber grippy off before filling or ink gets under it and stains your fingers.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pienipple posted:

Sheaffer Viewpoints can be had in 1.1, 1.5, and 1.8 mm italic sizes from Staples and Michaels'. They're ok, I use a 1.8 one at work a lot. $5-7, comes with two cartridges. Cheap stop-gap if you want to order something nicer in the meantime.

If you wanted to use it with bottled ink the cheapest I've seen the converters is $8 from isellpens.com. Take the rubber grippy off before filling or ink gets under it and stains your fingers.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I need at least a 2mm nib, I have two Lamy pens (CP1 and Safari) I can get a 1.9mm italic nib for over here (Argentina, so no big stores, and the Staples here doesn't carry Shaffer, I just chcked), which I really doubt my teachers will be able to tell from a 2mm, but I wanted to go a bit broader. I would get a Pilot Parallel Pen 2.4, but they're impossible to get.

If the converter I already have works for the Art Pen (and they don't suck), it would be perfect.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Ah, in that case I can't help, no experience with Rotrings.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Rotring Art Pen should be just fine I think. Right now they're owned by Rubbermaid/Sanford which are solid stationery brands and I believe the Art-Pen was designed before they were bought. I think a standard converter should fit. I had one many years ago and it was pretty sweet.

Edit: *were

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 13, 2014

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

pienipple posted:

I swap off when my fingers start to hurt from gripping the very end of the pen, the further down I go the harder I tend to grip. This is one of the gripes I have with some of the Lamy pens, they're pretty rad collectable FP's. The grip itself however is really thin, and man does it hurt my hand.

Kiran fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 14, 2014

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I got my Vanishing Point today with a F nib. Is the writing angle supposed to be really narrow? I get skipping on up and down strokes the way I normally want to hold it.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Is it possible to put a TWSBI Diamond 580 italic nib into the new TWSBI black and gold DIamond 580? As in can you remove the nib from the feed to replace it so you can keep the black section?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Xun posted:

Would you guys recommend using a syringe with a converter? I'm tired of getting ink all over the place when I refill my pen but I think I've only seen syringes being used with cartridges.

I sometimes refill cartridges with a syringe because it lets me go longer between refills. A converter sacrifices ink capacity for the filling mechanism. A converter is less messy, but as others have pointed out, rubber gloves are a good way to keep your fingers clean. Either that or use an ink that washes off your hands easily.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Stick Insect posted:

I sometimes refill cartridges with a syringe because it lets me go longer between refills. A converter sacrifices ink capacity for the filling mechanism. A converter is less messy, but as others have pointed out, rubber gloves are a good way to keep your fingers clean. Either that or use an ink that washes off your hands easily.

I just stick with the syringe situation. It's very neat, and lets me get a perfect fill every time. If a pen comes with a converter, I'll leave it on, in case of emergencies when I can't find my syringe.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hellbeard posted:

Rotring Art Pen should be just fine I think. Right now they're owned by Rubbermaid/Sanford which are solid stationery brands and I believe the Art-Pen was designed before they were bought. I think a standard converter should fit. I had one many years ago and it was pretty sweet.

Edit: *were

I got the Art Pen, the international converter worked like a charm.

I am running into a bit of an issue though. I filled it up with Diamine Syrah, and I'm having trouble when starting strokes. Once it gets going it works fine, but the first stroke in a letter tends to not start when I set the pen down. Anything I should try regarding the feed? Maybe try to clean the nib? Or will it just settle on its own after a bit of writing? It is the first fill after all.

Cheers

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I found Syrah to write well but be a finicky starter in a standard nib pen.

Flush it out with water and a drop of dish soap, rinse with clean water, and try inking it again. If it's still finicky starting try a less saturated ink.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

pienipple posted:

These are particularly nice if you are willing to grind down the nib into more of a stub. I used the four grade nail file/buffer that most pharmacies sell. The thing I like but hate at the same time is the cartridge window - nice to see your remaining ink but the deep recess of it is uncomfortable on the hand.

Question regarding the Noodler's freebie pen - the rollerball attachment is way down in the barrel. It is stuck down there; I can't get it out even with tweezers and ink has collected behind it...any ideas on how I can remove it?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

teraflame posted:

I got my Vanishing Point today with a F nib. Is the writing angle supposed to be really narrow? I get skipping on up and down strokes the way I normally want to hold it.

You'll have to define "way I normally hold it". I've found the best grip that works for my VP is rotated slightly anticlockwise, with the indented section of the clip going slightly under my thumb.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Converting the Kaweco ice sport into an eyedropper was a bad move. Turned the pen into a leaky mess, not from the threads but from the feed. Maybe a rollerball feed is different but it wasn't as awesome as I had hoped. Looked very nice with the clear body and ink though, sigh.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pienipple posted:

I found Syrah to write well but be a finicky starter in a standard nib pen.

Flush it out with water and a drop of dish soap, rinse with clean water, and try inking it again. If it's still finicky starting try a less saturated ink.

I cleaned it and refilled it with Heart of Darkness. I could have sworn I remembered it being blacker than it is. Maybe I had a bit of leftover water in the feed or maybe it looks lighter when using it with a wide nib, it looks darker on the preppy I have it in.

Will keep testing out stuff and reporting back, if anyone's interested. I still have 2 or 3 different inks to go through.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm having a slight problem with my pen. I'm using a Pilot Metro with Noodler's Borealis Black. There's always a small ring of ink where the grip flares out to meet the feed. I always end up with ink all over my fingers, which is getting a little annoying. It looks like there's a small seam between the grip and the piece of plastic that holds the feed/nib. Other goons here have complained about Borealis Black being really leaky, but it's never really bothered me otherwise. Has anyone had a similar problem? Should I try a different ink? Or could it be a problem with the pen?

Edmond Dantes posted:

I cleaned it and refilled it with Heart of Darkness. I could have sworn I remembered it being blacker than it is. Maybe I had a bit of leftover water in the feed or maybe it looks lighter when using it with a wide nib, it looks darker on the preppy I have it in.

Will keep testing out stuff and reporting back, if anyone's interested. I still have 2 or 3 different inks to go through.

I've always found HoD to be somewhat gray, if not brown :shobon: A lot of people say it's super dark, but to me it looks a bit lighter than Aurora Black/Borealis Black or Noodler's Black.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I bought a Pilot Custom Heritage 92. I love everything about it except the line is just too broad.

If you are interested in this pen, the medium is more like a broad tip. Try the FM or F!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Solumin posted:

I'm having a slight problem with my pen. I'm using a Pilot Metro with Noodler's Borealis Black. There's always a small ring of ink where the grip flares out to meet the feed. I always end up with ink all over my fingers, which is getting a little annoying. It looks like there's a small seam between the grip and the piece of plastic that holds the feed/nib. Other goons here have complained about Borealis Black being really leaky, but it's never really bothered me otherwise. Has anyone had a similar problem? Should I try a different ink? Or could it be a problem with the pen?

Are you using cartridges, or eyedrop fill? The metro is not designed to be eyedrop filled.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Verdugo posted:

Are you using cartridges, or eyedrop fill? The metro is not designed to be eyedrop filled.

I'm using a cartridge, which I just refill when the ink runs low.

Edit: I just finished cleaning it out (and covered my hands in ink in the process, yay) and there was a lot of ink in the cap. I'm not sure if the ink on pen came from the cap or vice versa.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 17, 2014

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Today I was looking through some of my grandpa's crap and I stumbled across an old fountain pen. I think it's a shaeffer snorkel admiral.

The Leona N Fay isn't flush with the side like the rest of the lettering. I'm thinking it might be the name of the former owner.

What would I have to do to get this thing in working order? Is doing so a good idea? I'm a little afraid to just start running liquids through it, I have no idea how old it is or what condition the internals are in. I don't know what I'm doing please send help.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Today I was looking through some of my grandpa's crap and I stumbled across an old fountain pen. I think it's a shaeffer snorkel admiral.

The Leona N Fay isn't flush with the side like the rest of the lettering. I'm thinking it might be the name of the former owner.

What would I have to do to get this thing in working order? Is doing so a good idea? I'm a little afraid to just start running liquids through it, I have no idea how old it is or what condition the internals are in. I don't know what I'm doing please send help.

Goongratulations :v::hf::v:. Try filling it with water and using it as a squirt gun (unscrew the blind cap at the back of the pen to extend snorkel, pull blind cap/filling mechanism, submerge snorkel, push blind cap/filling mechanism back in and wait for a few seconds). If it doesn't squirt out a good jet of water, the seals for the filling mechanisms have probably fallen apart. With the snorkel extended, you can also unscrew the barrel from the section like with a cartridge pen to see if it has taken on water (there should be none visible outside the ink sac), which could cause it to rust - some Snorkels have become rusty or crusted with crud by taking on ink through a bad seal. While you're at it, also make sure to take out the big metal...spring...thing (you'll know it when you see it/shake it out of the pen barrel). The spring can jam the pen when filling if improperly replaced (or rarely during normal use) so familiarise yourself with where it sits and make sure to reassemble the pen with the filling mechanism extended all the way.

If the seals have gone bad, you can basically unscrew all of the pen and replace them with a snorkel repair kit and some silicone grease from ebay (or send it to someone to repair, which is overkill for a snorkel seal replacement unless you are completely incompetent with tools). One seal sits on the snorkel tube in the section, which unscrews by hand into two parts (the front part being the nib and the untextured plastic collar right above it, the back part being the textured grip area and the metal threads for the cap, and you can just pull the snorkel tube and ink sac out for replacing the seal), and the other seal is in the blind cap which is held on the filling mechanism with a normal slotted screw from the inside (use a long screwdriver, as you'll have to go all the way into the pen barrel).

In other news, I've pulled the trigger on a Pilot 823 with an FA nib :shepspends:
I was tempted to get the shop's Pilot 845 special edition (vermilion/red, also with FA nib) instead, but luckily that was sold out.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 26, 2014

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Need some advice on how to remove stubborn ink from a nib. Got a super old pen and the ink was hard as a rock. I finally got the nib and feed apart, soaked and cleaned the feed, but the nib has this black crust of ink on the inside that just won't come off. I'm afraid to use something really abrasive on it because it's a two tone gold looking nib. Any advice?

Solumin posted:

I'm using a cartridge, which I just refill when the ink runs low.

Edit: I just finished cleaning it out (and covered my hands in ink in the process, yay) and there was a lot of ink in the cap. I'm not sure if the ink on pen came from the cap or vice versa.

I would disassemble the pen completely, rinse out the nib and feed really well, rinse out the cap and dry, rinse out the body and let it dry, then try with a fresh fill of ink and see what happens. There can be a disturbing amount of ink in the nooks and crannies of a pen, I usually completely rinse mine out whenever I'm changing inks or every other fill.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 26, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Verdugo posted:

Need some advice on how to remove stubborn ink from a nib. Got a super old pen and the ink was hard as a rock. I finally got the nib and feed apart, soaked and cleaned the feed, but the nib has this black crust of ink on the inside that just won't come off. I'm afraid to use something really abrasive on it because it's a two tone gold looking nib. Any advice?

Household ammonia.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Verdugo posted:

Ultrasonic cleaner, use water with a dash of ammonia for solution.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

blowfish posted:

Goongratulations :v::hf::v:.

Thanks for the advice. It squirts a good stream of water. I can unscrew the nib, but not the barrel section. It is incredibly sturdy, and even with the help of some old rubber mat for grip it won't come unscrewed. There's a little bit of moisture on the metal surface that pulls out. Is there a trick to unscrewing the barrel?

Edit: If I flick the pen water flies out of the withdrawn snorkel. Is this normal, or a symptom of a bad seal?

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 27, 2014

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
http://www.amazon.com/Zebra-H-301-Stainless-Highlighter-Refill/dp/B004CLMP8S

If you're a huge pen nerd like me, get these highlighters, refill cartridges with Noodler's highlighter ink, cackle. Use a syringe to skip the step of 'get highlighter ink EVERYWHERE'.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Thanks for the advice. It squirts a good stream of water. I can unscrew the nib, but not the barrel section. It is incredibly sturdy, and even with the help of some old rubber mat for grip it won't come unscrewed. There's a little bit of moisture on the metal surface that pulls out. Is there a trick to unscrewing the barrel?

Edit: If I flick the pen water flies out of the withdrawn snorkel. Is this normal, or a symptom of a bad seal?

If you need to flick it several times or with some force, a few drops come out normally.

It might just be a little hard to open because it's old, no need to force it if it won't come apart at all if the pen is working anyway. Alternatively, some idiot might have shellaced it together after a previous repair job (you'll need a heat gun, or you can submerge it in warm water, but snorkel plastics tend to get ruined only slightly above the melting temperature for shellac...). Note that the joint between the barrel and the section is the threads for the cap (the threads themselves are on the section, the non-threaded metal is on the barrel).

By the way, have an illustrated guide for a complete snorkel/PFM disassembly: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/repair/snorkel_filler.htm

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

And make sure you keep track of every part you remove.

Don't do what I did and lose one of the most crucial and hard-to-get parts of the pen, making it useless. :suicide:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

tsc posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Zebra-H-301-Stainless-Highlighter-Refill/dp/B004CLMP8S

If you're a huge pen nerd like me, get these highlighters, refill cartridges with Noodler's highlighter ink, cackle. Use a syringe to skip the step of 'get highlighter ink EVERYWHERE'.

I use the Preppy line of highlighters since I can also buy tip refills. The tips are always smooshed after a few months so it's nice to be able to change in a new one. Preppys can also be converted into an eyedropper so it's great if you do a lot of highlighting :)

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Any recommendations for a fountain pen friendly journal/diary that won't break the bank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Finally sprung for a TWSBI 580 and a Goulet pen tuning/cleaning kit, and they threw in a mini Tootsie Pop and a handwritten note on the invoice in Diamine Eau de Nil (which was really pretty). Also picked up a bottle of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, which I loaded the TWSBI with and absolutely love.

Hngh. Dis pen.

laertes22 posted:

Any recommendations for a fountain pen friendly journal/diary that won't break the bank?

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, the Midori Traveler's Notebooks are really nice, and although the leather cover is $50-60, it comes with a refill (which are about :5bux: each afterwards).

If you don't care about refills/reusability (which I personally like), Clairefontaine's clothbound notebooks are really nice.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 30, 2014