Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
Will one of these converters fit in this Sheaffer cartridge pen from the 90s?

Descriptions for the converter say they're 5/16" in diameter at the fat end (e.g.), which is exactly the width of the cartridges it takes (regular Sheaffer ones like they sell at Staples). So, I would think that it would work just fine. However, this post on FPN had the same question with a very similar pen, and one of the responses said it wouldn't fit.

Anyone know for sure? It's only :10bux: either way but I'd prefer to know for sure.

evilneanderthal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

The Proc posted:

Is that the Reaktor? I just rinse and refill a the cartridge with a syringe.

I don't *think* so. I've had a hell of a time finding a picture of this specific pen, but from what I've been able to find (e.g. here and here) it looks more like the cartridge school pens than the Reacktor. That post identifies a pretty similar pen as being potentially from the 70s, but that pen is flat black whereas mine is translucent black....

I got the pen from my dad, so the pen could easily be from anywhere between like 1960 and 2001 or so when it came into my possession. Given the latter date, it's possible that it was a fairly new Reacktor, but I don't think so. I hadn't seen him use a fountain pen ... ever, really. I'm gonna see him in a few weeks, so I'll ask then... it's entirely possible that he remembers nothing whatsoever about the pen, but you never know.

I have ordered that converter, betting money that both I and some random person on the internet are able to measure the diameter of something. So, we'll see how that turns out. I could reuse the cartridge as you mentioned, but then I'd need the syringe, etc... The converter seems like the preferable solution, assuming it fits.

evilneanderthal fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 4, 2013

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

evilneanderthal posted:

Will one of these converters fit in this Sheaffer cartridge pen from the 90s?

It turns out: no! Guy on FPN was not spouting lies.

Took the converter to the hardware store to see if they could grind it down a little bit at the wide point to make it fit, but apparently the barrel gets narrower further down anyway. I was able to avoid damaging the pen, thankfully. Guess they were't fooling around when they named it the cartridge pen.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

Apparently the squeeze type converter will fit. Not sure how I overlooked that. Ordered one :10bux: welp.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

evilneanderthal posted:

Apparently the squeeze type converter will fit. Not sure how I overlooked that. Ordered one :10bux: welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

the cokes are rad?