Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Are there any fountain pens that are "travel-proof" or pocket friendly? (read: don't piss ink everywhere inside the cap if carried in a bag or pocket)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, in terms of bleedy inky mess problems, one thing I'm pretty sure of that you may need to be aware of is that fountain pens may not fly well, as in if you go on a plane, you may want to make sure nib side is facing up or the pressure changes may cause the ink to bubble out like they did for one of those mini disposable stubby fountain pens I forget the brand and model of.

Non-edit: after some googlin', word says you should keep them in a plastic bag nib-up, and either completely full or completely empty and FFS don't use them on the plane.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Currently using a Lamy Safari with an F nib I picked up over the weekend with some dark green ink of some brand I don't remember in a converter, and then later tried out a Lamy Joy pen with a 1.5 italic/flat nib and fuuuuuuuck. I used to use one of those cheap cartridge based calligraphy sets a long time ago, and remember those as being scratchy and unreliable, and this thing is smooth and just glides across the page, it's ridiculous. They also had a Schaeffer calligraphy set with 3 nibs included, anybody know if those are any good? They seemed kinda eh, but they didn't have one out I could test with, so I'm thinking of getting the Joy in a 1.9 at some point unless I can find a cheap calligraphy pen otherwise.

Oh yeah, speaking of expensive fountain pens, I saw a Montblanc commemorative Ghandi pen that was something along the lines of $30,000 USD.

30,000 bucks. For a Ghandi pen. Yup.

nonedit: well looky here, they supposedly stopped selling it, but I can tell you for a fact I saw one in a Montblanc store in Taipei 101 about a month ago(and not the cheaper reissue one they made later and still sell now for 3K or so)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HolySwissCheese posted:

2. They test the pens in the factory using blue ink (hence the blue ink you see).
Already confirmed in general, but posting to add that the Lamy Safari I got last week also had blue left in the nib that I cleaned out before adding dark green ink.
(it writes fine)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody know of any budget dip pens, preferably for calligraphy? I found a sweet pen shop that sells some :siren:gold:siren: ink, but I'm told you can't load it into a standard pen(which makes sense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody know of any ink brands or types that are less likely to bleed through pages? I'm normally using a Lamy Safari with an F nib, if that matters.