Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

As a lefty who side writes with my hand dragging where my freshly written text is, what type of ink would you suggest? I have a Lamy Safari with the medium nib and am going to get the cartridge for it, but I don't like the idea of smearing ink all over my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

404notfound posted:

I've been adapting to keeping my hand just below the line where I'm writing, so I won't have smearing problems. Probably the easiest way to keep your ink options open without carrying blotting paper everywhere you go.

I think this is probably what I am going to do.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Wanted new ink, couldn't decide what I wanted, just ordered about 10 or 12 samples with a few of the "surprise me" options from Goulet. I just want some really fun inks and thought that would be the best way to try a bunch

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So if I want to pick up a second pen that would be a bit more fun than my every day Safari with a F nib, what should I be looking at? I have a sample of the Emerald of Chivor that I'd like to get the most out of and the nib not clog up. Price in the 30-40 or less range, preferable with a converter.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

blowfish posted:

Noodler's Oregon Standoff Tarp Blue

Waterproof, fast drying, safety ink because these colors dont run :911:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

After looking at a few youtube reviews and some writing samples, I went ahead and ordered the Eco. I love the design and looks of it, can't wait to get it in and actually write with it

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

mikeycp posted:

Is there a good, affordable loose-leaf non-lined paper people use? I was taking notes for a podcast, but all I had that fit the bill was printer paper, but it's really thirsty and also makes all the writing look bad.

Filofax makes some pretty good paper, and this is a blank refill pack. Personally I really like Rhodia paper, but I couldn't find any looseleaf.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Oh no tell me what to buy I like inks but that means I'd need more pens for those more inks right?

Trying to turn this thread around.

I got a bunch of ink samples from Goulet, and the one I am most interested in trying is one of the gray inks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

GoodBee posted:

I was underwhelmed with the greys I tried. I suspect it was because of a lot of things.

I put them in my Jinhao whatever that's got a pretty broad nib but I think the greys would look better in a fat italic.

I think they looked best on unlined, blank, bright white paper. Cream colored paper, lined white paper and paper with any other ink on it (like making notes on a printout) all kind of made it look like washed out crap. Maybe if your lined paper had faint grey lines it would look nice?

I could see that, I feel like with any paper that isn't super bright white, it would probably just look black

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Man if you don't like stinky pens, you're doing it wrong

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I didn't know Baystate Blue was a thing, and that is drat near my favorite shade of blue. Just got my brother a metro and really liked it.. resisting the temptation.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

404notfound posted:

Goulet may be overpriced compared to almost every other online retailer, but they package the poo poo out of everything because they know how fragile pen stuff can be. Also free lollipop.

Also I have a soft spot for niche small businesses. I don't mind paying a bit more to keep them around.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I put some of the Emerald of Chivor in my B nibbed Eco, and I am pretty pleased with how much of the flake comes through. I was torn between the B and the 1.1 stub, but I am glad that I got the B because I use it pretty frequently and it isn't too broad for me to write on regular paper with.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I got an 1.1 stub Eco to go with my Emerald of Chivor and it looks fantastic but it's very definitely 'well I feel like writing fancy right now' and not something you're just gonna use.

I paid a buck and change for a sample from Goulet, so I'm gonna be writing with this on everything.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

wrong thread

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really like the Jinhao 8812 specifically because you can get it in with a wooden barrel, but A) I don't need another pen and B) I don't know what kind of converter to use for it so I don't have to keep refilling it with cartridges.

E: looks like the amazon ones come with the converter. I dunno, I think a Chinese pen with the Bern ink would be a perfect match

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 15, 2016

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I got myself a sample of Iroshizuku Kon-peki and it is pretty much my ideal blue.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Some of their music / composer series pens are totally beautiful, but no way could I personally justify the price. Granted, my price range for a pen is the sub-50$ area, but it is nice to window-shop.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Got my grandma a blue Pilot metro with a medium nib and some Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo ink for her birthday. She used fountain pens growing up and couldn't believe the pen + converter was only $20 because of how well it writes. Seeing old people happy is pretty :3:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Try running the nib under water for a little bit and see if anything flows out, then start writing. Or wrap your nib in a paper towel to see if you can pull some of the ink into the nib that way.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I kinda want to get a cheap JinHao with a really broad nib, like a 1.1 or 1.5, and get Baystate Blue and just not care because me pen was less than 10$ and 10$ for a nib

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 29, 2016

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So part one of my lovely Chinese pen + fat nib + Baystate Blue plan is in the works. Just ordered a Jinhao x750 and a #6 1.5mm nib. Next time I need to re-up on ink samples, I'll pick up some Baystate and have some messy, pen destroying fun.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is Goulet still the go-to place to get Noodlers ink? I want some Heart of Darkness, unless there is a blacker black that I should be looking at.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

that time that I ordered my pen and didn't realize it was shipping from china, so there was a reason it was $3. I have my nib and ink, but no pen for like a month :/

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pixelante posted:

Can anyone doodle out a comparison between a Pilot fine tip and medium tip, maybe on lined paper for scale?

Goulet Pena has a nib comparison tool on their website which is pretty cool

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pixelante posted:

I ordered a metro. This was a sensible adult decision.

Maybe.

I picked Heart of Darkness, Diamine Ancient Copper, and J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Stormy Grey to start off with. I figure I can art with them if I don't use the pen as much as I think I will. (Also ordered a sample of Blue Ghost. How far does a 2ml sample go, anyway? I'm guessing not far?)

Heart of Darkness is a pretty awesome black. Like black black.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I finally got my cheap as hell Jinhao and 1.5mm nib. The pen is surprisingly well made, no leaks, and made of metal. The nib is a bit scratchy, but that could just be an adjustment issue.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I finally got my Jinhao x750 and immediately swapped in the 1.1mm Goulet nib I'd bought, which turned out to be a good decision as the tines were so misaligned on the Jinhao nib that you could see it without looking too hard. It looked like a half-open pair of scissors. I bent it mostly back into shape, but as the pen is already inked with the other nib, I haven't tried it yet. It looks (and feels, if I run my finger across the slit between the tines) smooth enough now.

As it turns out, 1.1mm isn't really big enough for proper calligraphy but it does make a fine nib for some fancy italic writing.

Even my 1.5 isn't fat enough for calligraphy, but dramatic looking cursive is totally in its wheelhouse

E: I really want a cool flex-nib pen just to mess around with, but I've heard that the Noodler's pens have iffy QC at best.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really want a flex nib pen because flex-nib penning looks like it is really cool. I know Noodler's has the Ahab, and they don't seem particularly expensive, but I seem to remember people saying that they kinda suck. Is there another pen, or maybe a vintage pen, that I should be looking at? I have a few pens (Twsbi, Lamy, and a JinHao) so is there a replacement nib even that I could look at?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'd really love to get into vintage pens but that is a rabbit hole I'm terrified of :ohdear:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just put some Baystate Blue in my Jinhao x750. Cheap pens and bad behaved ink = awesome

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Demon_Corsair posted:

I still wish baystate blue behaved better. That is probably the best color in existence. But I don't want to risk it in one of my good pens.

be like me and get a cheap 5$ Jinhao and feel no remorse

E: Speaking of Baystate inks, has anyone used the Baystate Cape Cod Cranberry? I want a hella bright pink, and had a sampler of the Rachmaninoff but that clogged up every pen I tried it in- which is apparently a pretty common issue with that ink. It's a shame because the Rachmaninoff was the right obnoxiousness for me to love it.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 16, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

404notfound posted:

I'm just slightly annoyed that the new limited edition safaris get a black clip, but the 2013 highlighter yellow one that I bought had the standard steel. It looked a lot sleeker when I swapped out the nib for a black one, but the clip isn't quite so easy to replace.

the clip of my Safari is pretty much all chipped apart and looks bad. I would much rather have a steal one.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I got a 200 pack of blastic bulb pipettes, just like you'd use in chemistry class, and I use those. Don't have to worry about cleaning out all the ink.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

My first Jinhao x750 came today. Looks like I didn't get lucky with an amazing one.

I got super lucky with mine. Writes pretty smooth and I use it as my daily carry pen so if I lose it I can't get upset at missing a $5 pen.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Someone gave me and oldish Sheaffer school pen that I converted to an eyedropper with Heart of Darkness. Little silicone grease on the threads and its been 2-weeks with no leaks. Seems to write pretty well considering he said it sat in a drawer for about 25 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Heath posted:

Find something you wrote six months ago and compare it. I guarantee the difference is shocking so long as you've been practicing at all.

Are there any good penmanship excersizes online?