Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Battlezone is a fantastic game and everyone should go and play it right now, I just found the thread and it'll be interesting to see how you play it.

I started an LP of this before but my computer exploded, and I never got the drive to do it again. Glad to see someone else is taking up the slack.

Just watched the Trailer for Bionite, and the way's their tanks move around is so wrong, the floatyness of tanks in Battlezone is like its signature move. They need to fix that if they want to achieve the same feel. Also I know that's a pre alpha demo but still.

Panboy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Venus, yes this is where the game really starts to open up with equipment, I love the Rocket tank but it sucks so hard its not funny much better off in a light tank, As the Hornet is just as good in a light as it is in rocket tank. and lights live longer.

You really should make better use of your armory though, I tend to tell it to fire Armour and ammo ahead of me before I get into a fight so hopefully it lands in time to make good use of it.

And that last mars mission with the bombers, Totally the hardest mission in the game. Those 3 bombers can really ruin your day if your not lucky.

There's one mission I'm really looking forward to you playing, as the 1.5 patch makes it so much harder than it should be.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

We should have a multiplayer game of Battlezone keep the thread going with some dynamic content!

And glad to hear your still in the game.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

It was a while since this update was posted but I feel the need to point out that this mission was made a whole lot harder with the 1.5 fan patch. As it changed how the arty fires. You see here they fire at you in a shallow arc pointing their guns right at you. That is not how they are supposed to work. They Should fire straight up and give you plenty of time to dodge their fire.

And that's how the mission was intended to be played you climb the Hills over a set of ramps set up on the map murder the guns one by one.

I don't much like the 1.5 patch.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

This mission can go too ways, The way it went for you just now. Or it can be a horrible mess. But at least we have the flash now, and soon everyone will know its mighty ammo consumption!

Mission may or may not have had a mighty flash duel. Thread readers will have to watch to find out.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Oh yay were making progress, Is Europa next? I'm looking forward to that.

With the USSR stealing all your stolen alien tech, and considering what they made last time they got to tech first you have to wonder what their next upgrade is going to be? what could they make more powerful than that walker. If they just sent walkers out enmass there would be nothing you could do against them really.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

The thumper is both the best weapon in the game and the worst, As sometimes it really fails to work or just fucks up your own guys and your self. It's really situational but great for gun towers. And I just love the idea of it, Fire off a thump and watch was the world ripples ahead of you. Well that's the idea anyway. Old graphics don't really do it justice.

Kitty is there any chance you you post screen shots off the Briefings pre and post mission there's quite a bit of background story in them that expands on the lore of the game a bit?

That might require beating the levels again but you can always cheat and the intro briefs you can look up in the Mission archives.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Lunethex posted:

I'm surprised that despite your turtling, the CCA never set up their howitzers on the hill overlooking your Recycler. I was looking at that part of the map with the huge blinking red spot and wondering when they would bring it up but you never batted an eye at it. And you still won.

Good job!

I've mentioned it before but this is just another instance of the 1.5 patch breaking arty in the game, It wont shoot up so it cant actually fire over the cliff edge.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Thats the sequel, They said they wanted wild life to be an important part of the game but they forgot at some point in the making.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Glazius posted:

So that objective just... went and accomplished itself without you? Is that what I saw?

Partly what makes Battlezone an interesting game to me is the fact that The player is not always the most important factor in a mission, Sometimes the AIs will just do their own thing and Victory will happen.

Mind you the AI will never Try to win, but emergent systems can create weird results.

Also the Hunt command is very handy for mopping up dudes, Just let the AI Explore and murder.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

There is an oddness though in the way the follow command can work, Some times if you are too far ahead of your dudes they wont engage enemy's and instead try to catch up all the while taking fire from all around, So sometimes it can be useful to stop every now and again to let em catch up, or Drive at half speed. (Press Q rather than W) its even in the game!

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Glazius posted:

Huh. I didn't think this game had much in the way of friendly fire, but obviously that's not the case if you can get fragged by your own units.

It actually has full friendly fire, it is a total pain in the rear end if you use a lot of units with Explosive weapons like the Howitzers and Bombers. And one other weapon I don't think we've seen yet. Some of the weapons have large splash areas.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

The Armory comes in very handy for rearming and repairing in the field so that your tanks dont explode, I normally use them to fire some ammo and health ahead of me where I expect combat.

Mind you the enemy can grab that stuff just as easy as the player.

Also Flash cannons. The number one item.

BlackDog light tanks have phantom ir, Its a secondary weapon that makes you go invisible, so nope its Not a glitch.

The fury beeing the tank that he is lived so long, after running outa ammo in the first fight and you got so angry at him for being useless.

Panboy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 25, 2014

Panboy
May 20, 2010

The Sequel gets into differnt territory than what happened to the furys, Its interesting where they went with it if you ask me, I really wish this franchise wasnt dead, But it will never be revived because Atari made licencing impossible for anyone else. And then didn't even do anything with the licence (there was a PSP Arcade style BZ game I have never played)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Yea Subs be good, ya could always get "LP bot" to play for ya but that seems like alota work.

• Locked thread