Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If it's tailored to what you actually do, it's legit. If it's for sales when you're not in sales, or promises TONS OF MONEY AND SUCCESS without explaining what you'd do, it's crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

FrozenVent posted:

If it's tailored to what you actually do, it's legit. If it's for sales when you're not in sales, or promises TONS OF MONEY AND SUCCESS without explaining what you'd do, it's crap.

So if I work in product management, and a recruiter from Amazon reaches out to me about a position in product management, it's probably legit? I have zero ties to Amazon, or the Pacific Northwest, or to the technology industry, and I've never had a recruiter hit me up on LinkedIn that wasn't a sales scam so I wasn't sure.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Omne posted:

So if I work in product management, and a recruiter from Amazon reaches out to me about a position in product management, it's probably legit? I have zero ties to Amazon, or the Pacific Northwest, or to the technology industry, and I've never had a recruiter hit me up on LinkedIn that wasn't a sales scam so I wasn't sure.

If they're taking the trouble, giving you details, using an official Amazon email, go ahead and look into it. Amazon is a large company and they don't restrict themselves to candidates from the Pacific Northwest.

Scam emails are really obvious.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Omne posted:

How do you know when a recruiter's cold call email is legit, and not one of those dumb companies that mass hires inexperienced kids? I've never gotten any recruitment emails before, and I've gotten two in the past three days. Both are from brand names; one doesn't really seem to fit as I'm not in sales, but the other is fairly spot on with what I do in my current company.
I'll tell you who not to respond to besides the ones that scrape for the bottom of the barrel and shovel resources into a bag of sabotaged careers and broken dreams with mass blanket cold calls - desperate recruiters that are looking for IMMEDIATE PLACEMENT. These are the recruiters that will typically e-mail you and then call you literally 5 minutes later. While there's sometimes urgency, companies that are worth anything usually have more applicants than they can handle.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

necrobobsledder posted:

While there's sometimes urgency, companies that are worth anything usually have more applicants than they can handle.

Depends on your professional field, really. A friend and I just changed jobs at about the same time, and in both of our experience most of the interviews were about convincing us to take the job, not the other way around. Like 15 minutes talking resume, 40 minutes talking benefit package and how great this city is.

Of course there was the HR rep who was wholly unfamiliar with my qualifications, despite representing one of the biggest companies in the industry :confused:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

I'll tell you who not to respond to besides the ones that scrape for the bottom of the barrel and shovel resources into a bag of sabotaged careers and broken dreams with mass blanket cold calls - desperate recruiters that are looking for IMMEDIATE PLACEMENT. These are the recruiters that will typically e-mail you and then call you literally 5 minutes later. While there's sometimes urgency, companies that are worth anything usually have more applicants than they can handle.

This speaks more to the quality of the recruiter than the company. If you get an email from a staffing company you've literally never heard of with almost no useful details, followed by that immediate cold call, the job is a dud, no matter where they're trying to place you. Not to be That Guy, but the recruiter will also nine times out of ten be an Indian or Mexican guy with a hopelessly thick accent.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I submitted my resume to a recruiter and was immediately called back. 5 minutes on the phone and I was scheduled for a drug test before the actual interview with the company. Seems the dude before me failed his and they needed a fast replacement. I suppose I was lucky with that job being in the exact right place at the right time.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Getting called for any job is pretty much dumb luck. In fact, so is being successful.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Whats the best way to find recruiters

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WYA posted:

Whats the best way to find recruiters

I actually get minimal hits from my LinkedIn, I get a lot more from Careerbuilder. Some from Monster, but Monster seems to be dying. Careerbuilder also lets you upload a selection of resumes, and then shoot a resume that matches a posting, often without filling out anything else. This will get you more traction than waiting for calls.

The hits I do get from LinkedIn tend to be for full-time things, as opposed to contracts.

I am moving jobs soon and as luck would have it, I was called for both of them, rather than having to apply for them. This new one was because I had a good relationship with a recruiter, though.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I actually get minimal hits from my LinkedIn, I get a lot more from Careerbuilder. Some from Monster, but Monster seems to be dying. Careerbuilder also lets you upload a selection of resumes, and then shoot a resume that matches a posting, often without filling out anything else. This will get you more traction than waiting for calls.

The hits I do get from LinkedIn tend to be for full-time things, as opposed to contracts.

I am moving jobs soon and as luck would have it, I was called for both of them, rather than having to apply for them. This new one was because I had a good relationship with a recruiter, though.

What do you mean by good relationship, you guys chat every day?

Linkedin is a really drat slow website, whats the deal with that

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WYA posted:

What do you mean by good relationship, you guys chat every day?

It's good to call about once a week, if the recruiter isn't contacting you that often already. Some people have told me every day but that seems beyond excessive. You may also have to sort out which recruiters are on the level (doing the most work on your behalf/making sure your skills are being represented well, getting you the best hourly rate among competitors).

I'm in the Seattle area and like Aquent and Aerotek.

I work in writing/editing so mileage may vary by industry.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Caveat: I'm in the DC area.

I've had generally very good experiences with Aerotek having worked with them for job-hunting off-and-on for about 4-5 years, despite only having gotten one job via their involvement in that period of time. I've found that every person I've worked with there has been extremely professional and helpful, but I don't always feel like I get the full picture from the recruiters I've worked with as far as insight into the status of the hiring process is concerned. So essentially just like any recruiting agency Aerotek has been hit-or-miss, but on average working with one of their recruiters ends up being a pretty decent experience in terms of responsiveness, personability, competence, etc. regardless of the actual outcome of a hiring, which is more than I can say for other experiences I've had with recruiters at the very least.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 13, 2014

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!
Stairmasters currently has 672 members - love it!

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
Wanted to come back after ~6 months to share a linkedin success story. I used linkedin a lot before quitting my old job, but it wasn't until I read through this thread that I decided to use it very aggressively. I added about 100 recruiters and then used them to message people directly about jobs at companies that had openings I learned about online. About 3 months later I nailed a fantastic job in an industry completely outside of my old one. In the process I just about tripped my salary, cut my commute to a 10 min walk, and I love my company even after the romance wore off.

Everybody says it, but the best advice is not to give up. If you are getting rejected or not getting traction just push forward harder. My other advice is to find job listings anywhere besides linkedin and then message people on linkedin about them. From my experience the linkedin job boards are too popular and its best to not apply to them directly. Instead message the person listing the position or somebody else at the company.

Thanks thread!

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
Hello all, just wanted to say thanks to the OP and all contributors.

Previously I'd been very skeptical about social networking but having moved to a new city - and knowing absolutely nobody - it's been extremely handy. Over the last few days I've been connecting like a beast and keeping a goony spreadsheet of all the poor souls I intend to harass.

It's already lead to one very exiting lead and a few interested recruiters. Arguably, LinkedIn and such is a boon to self-diagnosed introverts such as myself, as unnatural as it might seem to begin with.

Having a little trouble finding Stairmasters though, is it still a thing?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

Wanted to come back after ~6 months to share a linkedin success story. I used linkedin a lot before quitting my old job, but it wasn't until I read through this thread that I decided to use it very aggressively. I added about 100 recruiters and then used them to message people directly about jobs at companies that had openings I learned about online. About 3 months later I nailed a fantastic job in an industry completely outside of my old one. In the process I just about tripped my salary, cut my commute to a 10 min walk, and I love my company even after the romance wore off.

Everybody says it, but the best advice is not to give up. If you are getting rejected or not getting traction just push forward harder. My other advice is to find job listings anywhere besides linkedin and then message people on linkedin about them. From my experience the linkedin job boards are too popular and its best to not apply to them directly. Instead message the person listing the position or somebody else at the company.

Thanks thread!

Tawd posted:

Hello all, just wanted to say thanks to the OP and all contributors.

Previously I'd been very skeptical about social networking but having moved to a new city - and knowing absolutely nobody - it's been extremely handy. Over the last few days I've been connecting like a beast and keeping a goony spreadsheet of all the poor souls I intend to harass.

It's already lead to one very exiting lead and a few interested recruiters. Arguably, LinkedIn and such is a boon to self-diagnosed introverts such as myself, as unnatural as it might seem to begin with.

Having a little trouble finding Stairmasters though, is it still a thing?

Always happy to hear about people finding success from this thread. :)

The link to Stairmasters in the OP still works, I just tried it. Did you already go that route?

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
I have bought shame and dishonour on this thread.

But the link still worked.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
Apologies for the terrible double post, but does anyone have specific advice on 'summary' section? I thought of making a hybrid of my achievements, which are listed lower down, mentioning broad strokes of my skill set. How essential is it?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I just wouldn't bother with it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I use the summary as interchangeable with skills. Just a quick one-sentence blurb about what I do and a few quick bullet-pointed skill lists.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks, consider it done. Well, I've got some more leads but nothing solid as yet; I'll be back with a 'this thread git me a jerb' when the happy day comes, hopefully soon!

A friend of mine is in the rather cliche situation of being very intelligent, university educated, stuck in a retail job which he is nown floating up to more store manager/multiple store mobile manager type position (do they give him the title and benefits to go with it? Of course not...) Anyhow, he's looking to make the step from retail to...anything else...does anyone have a good example of a LinkedIn profile (and/or a CV, for that matter) that might be a good example of how to try to do this?

I've got in touch with an old recruiter in his area who helped me get started back in the day. Already put a good word in for him, but that's about all I can do from here, and we want to make sure he goes off with his best foot forward. :unsmith:

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!
I managed adding 60 connections in 24 hours last week and noticed this, thanks partially to the wife's large and extended family:

and I'm thinking that's a good thing. I suppose the smart move now is participating in some of the groups I've joined, Stairmasters included, heh.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Late in posting this, but I start my full-time analyst position Wednesday in NYC. I got this position from my internship which I acquired through a LinkedIn group back in April. I just followed the OP and dropped a little line in each group that I was looking for opportunities since I was graduating in May and was contacted about the internship.

So, just wanted to chime in and say it works! Also, I've still been getting cold contacts from recruiters and headhunters about related positions fairly frequently. So, a good LinkedIn is the gift that keeps on giving.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone know any international alternatives to sites such as Monster? I've tried Elance and Guru, but most freelance sites are terrible. I need to reach out to my future employers, and I won't do that by relying of sites like Guru.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
1. I'm currently interviewing for two different positions in the same large (~40,000 employee) company, while being represented (if that's the right word) by two different recruiters. At what point, if ever, should they learn about each other? I've been dealing with Recruiter A for longer than B, and so have a better relationship with him, but it's my feeling that A and B don't need to know about each other unless they literally both give me an offer at the same time.

2. And suppose all the stars align and they do both make me an offer at the same time - can I leverage that fact and pit them against each other like two competing car dealerships, or should I just not go there at all since these are different jobs in different divisions of the company, and thus aren't related enough to do any trading on?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

jackpot posted:

1. I'm currently interviewing for two different positions in the same large (~40,000 employee) company, while being represented (if that's the right word) by two different recruiters. At what point, if ever, should they learn about each other? I've been dealing with Recruiter A for longer than B, and so have a better relationship with him, but it's my feeling that A and B don't need to know about each other unless they literally both give me an offer at the same time.

2. And suppose all the stars align and they do both make me an offer at the same time - can I leverage that fact and pit them against each other like two competing car dealerships, or should I just not go there at all since these are different jobs in different divisions of the company, and thus aren't related enough to do any trading on?

Let your recruiters know that you are interviewing for other positions. If nothing else this will light a fire under their asses. Ideally you won't surprise Recruiter A if you drag your feet on his offer while waiting for Recruiter B to come through.

Don't interview for the same position with different recruiters.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Let your recruiters know that you are interviewing for other positions. If nothing else this will light a fire under their asses. Ideally you won't surprise Recruiter A if you drag your feet on his offer while waiting for Recruiter B to come through.
Right, point taken. Both recruiters definitely know that I'm pursuing all leads, but only one of them (B) knows I'm in the running for this other job at the company; I told him, because when I found out his position was also at this company I was like "poo poo, this could be some job-seeking faux pas that I don't know about." Turns out he doesn't care at all, so unless something actually happens I'll keep quiet about it with the other guy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Rad R. posted:

Does anyone know any international alternatives to sites such as Monster? I've tried Elance and Guru, but most freelance sites are terrible. I need to reach out to my future employers, and I won't do that by relying of sites like Guru.

R/ForHire is Ok. What's your skillset? How much time do you have a week to freelance? There's no one stop shop; if their was, it would soon be horrible (see Craigslist).

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I'm about 1 year into an entry level admin-type role, which is completely unrelated to my undergrad, so I'm wondering how useful LinkedIn can actually be for people with humanities degrees and no "in demand" skills... I didn't even know "recruiters" were an actual thing until recently.

My undergrad is in English, and I recently completed a research-based master's degree, so I'd like to get into editing, technical writing, proposal/bid writing, etc., as I know I have the skills to succeed, but all I have for experience is a few editing/writing type research assistantships/work placements/internships, a seemingly worthless master's degree (outside of academia, at least), and my entry level position in an unrelated field. Up until know I've been applying to jobs the "standard" way, and have had no traction, but I read the OP and am in the process of getting a decent profile set up.

Is there any hope?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grouco posted:

I'm about 1 year into an entry level admin-type role, which is completely unrelated to my undergrad, so I'm wondering how useful LinkedIn can actually be for people with humanities degrees and no "in demand" skills... I didn't even know "recruiters" were an actual thing until recently.

My undergrad is in English, and I recently completed a research-based master's degree, so I'd like to get into editing, technical writing, proposal/bid writing, etc., as I know I have the skills to succeed, but all I have for experience is a few editing/writing type research assistantships/work placements/internships, a seemingly worthless master's degree (outside of academia, at least), and my entry level position in an unrelated field. Up until know I've been applying to jobs the "standard" way, and have had no traction, but I read the OP and am in the process of getting a decent profile set up.

Is there any hope?

If you already have a job, don't complain. Actual job experience is priceless. People everywhere are complaining that graduate degrees are increasingly worthless given the lovely state of academia jobs (hmm yes I went to school for 6+ years so I can teach one section of English 101 at Podunk Community College for worse than retail slave wages), but if you want to demonstrate to someone that you deserve to get into a program or be given a shot, experience and a grad degree certainly won't hurt.

Recruiting is huge but you need to have a strong idea of what you're looking for, because recruiters will try to shoehorn you into whatever positions they need to fill regularly. You'll need to learn what terminology and software skills the people with the jobs are looking for, and what terminology you need to avoid in order that you not attract the wrong recruiters. To be blunt, personally I would avoid pushing yourself as an Excel or data entry maven, for example.

In technical writing, learning Sharepoint and InDesign would probably be helpful, though Sharepoint can lead to jobs where you do nothing but work that's of too little importance for other people to bother with. Working in Seattle, I've seen enough terrible Sharepoint intranet sites that no one in the company actually uses to suspect that it's a bit of a flash in the pan. Coding skills make you attractive to tech companies as a technical writer, but some larger companies confuse technical writers with "coders/debuggers that we don't pay coder money for."

When you get to a job, be proactive about taking on more responsibility and in many cases you will become indispensable by force of gravity, or at least greatly appreciated. Even if they let you go after a limited contract, you can put whatever you ended up doing on your resume. Contracts are all well and good but there's no 401(k) doing contracts, which many contractors seem to realize far too late. Every contract is a chance to show experience on your resume and build a narrative. I am interested in technical writing and roles with large amounts of responsibilities, so I'll turn down stuff like "Be the guy who watches videos on Amazon all day in order to tag things for users at specific time codes." There's a lot of that sort of thing going around.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

R/ForHire is Ok. What's your skillset? How much time do you have a week to freelance? There's no one stop shop; if their was, it would soon be horrible (see Craigslist).

Thanks. How much time? I can work 9 to 5 from home, I did that for a while back when I was translating daily news. My skillset: graphic designer, illustrator, content writer, copy writer. And everything related.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Grouco posted:

Is there any hope?

This is exactly how I started out when I graduated college. English degree and all. There's hope. :unsmith:

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

HiroProtagonist posted:

This is exactly how I started out when I graduated college. English degree and all. There's hope. :unsmith:

What do you do now and can you can you check out my profile once I complete it to the standards outlined in the OP? :)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Grouco posted:

What do you do now and can you can you check out my profile once I complete it to the standards outlined in the OP? :)

Proposal writing, and now proposal management for the past couple years. And sure, I'd be happy to. PM me when you feel comfortable with your profile.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
So, I'm trying to find analytical type jobs that require a quantitative degree.

I tried searching for "Mathematics" as a keyword.

How do I eliminate all of these hundreds of listings that are like: "PT CASHIER FOOD LION, PT DELIVERY DRIVER PIZZA HUT, PT CASHIER HARRIS TEETER" etc?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's no really good way aside from searching for something more specific. You can look for "PhD" to find companies that are hiring for positions that require (or just want) graduate degrees, and see if the companies listing those have other openings.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Search for things like business analyst, data analyst, stuff like that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I just got an InMail from a recruiter representing a small startup in San Diego, who has raised $800k in seed and then $2MM in a Series A round that happened about ten months ago.

They're looking for a digital marketing manager with a quant bent. Apparently the role would be responsible for everything from writing content to managing all PPC/SEO campaigns, and that it would report directly to the CEO/CTO and would set up that person for a possible CMO role in the future (CMO, more like only marketing officer, amirite?).

The recruiter also mentioned that the compensation would include "stock".

This doesn't seem like a particularly well funded or stable company, it would involve a move, and I'm pretty leery of being literally the only marketing suit in the whole company (in terms of working 90 hour weeks).

How do I accurately evaluate whether a startup is worth looking at, or whether they're trying to get me to work as a paid intern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
When extending connections to people (Like the HR guy who I spoke with on an interview), should I just put them in as "friend" or just put in 'I don't know them'? It's the only one that doesn't ask for detailed information like their email (which I don't have yet).

• Locked thread