Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Aurochs posted:

Do you have any recommendations? I think that might contribute to the completeness, but gently caress if I know anymore.

That's one thing I'm definitely missing. Interesting. And yeah, it really sucks having to go through and do all this crap. Being laid off sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
FWIW I like recommendations. Its important they seem personal though so as not to be perceived as a quid-pro-quo scenario.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yes recommendations are required for LI to consider your profile "fully complete." I think they asked for three, but that's from years ago and might have changed. Once you get one though you'll know that if it doesn't tell you it's complete the answer is still three.

From an SEO perspective it still makes sense to weight results' relevance to prioritize "fully complete" profiles because the logic is that searchers will be more likely to find more of what they're looking for in a more complete profile versus a profile that is, say, little more than a default picture and a company name and position.

Because of that, unless someone has hard evidence that results aren't being weighted towards fully complete profiles I will still recommend people get their LI to "fully complete" as one of the first steps.

As far as recommendations are concerned, back when I did it I asked coworkers that I was friendliest with for them and usually those were people I had helped out or done favors for already so it was good motivation for them. If you're unemployed now it can be harder, but unless you're straight out of college you should still be able to reach out to some former coworkers or something from your last job, or (preferably) an old boss or two. If you *are* straight out of college, asking professors, mentors, etc. is still perfectly fine and valid and people would expect to see that sort of thing from someone with little or no work history.

As a related recommendation from me, I would advise people to remove all the goofy extra poo poo from their profile too. Only leave the stuff LinkedIn asks for to get to fully complete status. I am aware that they've started popping up that crap urging you to fill out more extraneous sections every time you visit your own profile but for the most part ignore it and focus on the completion status.

Most of the time all that extra poo poo is just clutter and detracts from the overall purpose and goal of your profile. If you have valid accomplishments or volunteer experience or what not, by all means call that out somewhere though, just not front and center unless it's directly applicable to your general field desired or jobs you're looking to get. Fluff definitely won't help though and could easily cause people browsing around to come off with a negative impression.

fake edit: just in case, recommendations are like reviews while endorsements are pointless and dumb. They sound related enough that I could see people mixing them up, so make sure you don't get one confused for another.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 13, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
What evidence do you have that they don't use the endorsements section as an SEO metric? It seems very obviously geared toward that it's literally keywords that people give you "PageRank" style endorsements for.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Is it weird to add people on LinkedIn if you interview with them?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Is it weird to add people on LinkedIn if you interview with them?

If you've got a badass profile, why not? You're advertising.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

CarForumPoster posted:

What evidence do you have that they don't use the endorsements section as an SEO metric? It seems very obviously geared toward that it's literally keywords that people give you "PageRank" style endorsements for.

Some industries aren't allowed to feature endorsements, it would be nice if LI were taking that into account.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I don't, but actively collecting them is just not worth the effort compared to seeking out, say recommendations, or taking other active measures to get your profile in front of eyes, such as seeking out and messaging recruiters directly. Nobody is going to look at your profile and be impressed by your endorsements unless they're a total fuckwit :)

Besides, chances are you'll passively collect them anyway as people mindlessly click on poo poo throughout the site, or at least I do. I get several a week, I'm sure from LI's suggestion popups. Building your network means you'll passively gain more, and since that's your goal anyway... :shrug: Hopefully you see my point.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have no recommendations or reviews written and I am at the all-star level or whatever the top level is called. They may boost your search but the LI visible level can be maxed out regardless.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

I have no recommendations or reviews written and I am at the all-star level or whatever the top level is called. They may boost your search but the LI visible level can be maxed out regardless.

Hmm, verrrrry interesting. Would you might PMing me a link to your profile so I can check it out and see what you have completed? This may warrant some edits to the OP if I can figure out what might be included.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Hmm, verrrrry interesting. Would you might PMing me a link to your profile so I can check it out and see what you have completed? This may warrant some edits to the OP if I can figure out what might be included.

PM sent via Awful app, lemme know if you don't get it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I also don't have any recommendations or reviews written and I'm also at the All-Star level. I have some endorsements, but I'm not sure if that's contributing anything.

The circle graphic is still a little far from 100% full but it's stopped bothering me to add stuff and just pats me on the back now.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

PM sent via Awful app, lemme know if you don't get it.

Okay, so the results were inconclusive. I couldn't tell any difference between my profile and yours other than the lack of recommendations, so my only possible conclusion is that this was once a requirement but at some point it stopped being required. If you remember when you hit 100% that might be the only thing that helps further.

I know my profile was 100% complete before the rollout of LinkedIn's redesigned site in the summer/fall of 2012 (pretty sure that's when it was), so the profile building advice given in the OP was based on my experience with doing that going as far back as 2009, in addition to what I had discovered through using LinkedIn since the 2012 redesign in the course of finding a new job.

I also very clearly remember being badgered to complete my profile by getting recommendations, but again that was in 2009ish.

All this leads me to conclude that, at least by spring 2013 if not the fall 2012 redesign, LinkedIn stopped making recommendations a requirement for a "fully complete" profile.

However, this doesn't mean they're any less critically important to have. It's possible that they were removed as a milestone for profile completion to cut down on the number of bullshit meaningless recommendations floating around but that's just speculation. You still need and should get them, but I'll edit the OP to clarify that the reasoning isn't specific to completing your profile.

For those still having trouble getting to the point where your profile is "fully complete," LinkedIn should be telling you, somewhere (circle graphic on the right on a desktop browser), what you need to meet the requirements. If you haven't completed anything in your title card, haven't listed your schools, haven't picked a skillset, or have a small number of connections, I'd look to those first.

FadingChord posted:

The circle graphic is still a little far from 100% full but it's stopped bothering me to add stuff and just pats me on the back now.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is just a weird visual design omission but I don't think they ever fill up. I'm close to 1000 connections so if there's some kind of "elite" tier or something reserved for LIONs or others of the sort, I might find out then. At one point I think I had more connections than any other goons on LI but that may well not be the case for you hardcore clickers out there.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Okay, so the results were inconclusive. I couldn't tell any difference between my profile and yours other than the lack of recommendations, so my only possible conclusion is that this was once a requirement but at some point it stopped being required. If you remember when you hit 100% that might be the only thing that helps further.

I know my profile was 100% complete before the rollout of LinkedIn's redesigned site in the summer/fall of 2012 (pretty sure that's when it was), so the profile building advice given in the OP was based on my experience with doing that going as far back as 2009, in addition to what I had discovered through using LinkedIn since the 2012 redesign in the course of finding a new job.

I also very clearly remember being badgered to complete my profile by getting recommendations, but again that was in 2009ish.

All this leads me to conclude that, at least by spring 2013 if not the fall 2012 redesign, LinkedIn stopped making recommendations a requirement for a "fully complete" profile.
I believe that my profile completion would have been around/after the redesign since I don't think I bothered with maximizing linkedin until the time I got my bachelors degree. So this lines up with the 2012 redesign changing the requirements.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I just got an invite to connect on https://branded.me/ - anyone use this yet?

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
I have a funny problem with my LinkedIn profile, it used to say that I was at all-star level but has recently dropped down to expert. I think it is because I have no education listed (I didn't go to university), any ideas on how to boost it back up?

I think at one point I had my high school listed which was maybe how it got to all-star, seems a bit weird to list that though since it was about 15 years ago now...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Why worry about it?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Is there anything on LinkedIn, save for a few job postings here and there, that is actually good for writers?

I'm a newspaper sports writer (90 percent which is local preps). I've poked around at some writing groups, but they all seem to be filled with bad opinion columns. Especially the sports ones.

I'm looking to escape towards something more creative, even pr/marketing-type stuff. Not straight sales, though.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Is there anything on LinkedIn, save for a few job postings here and there, that is actually good for writers?

I'm a newspaper sports writer (90 percent which is local preps). I've poked around at some writing groups, but they all seem to be filled with bad opinion columns. Especially the sports ones.

I'm looking to escape towards something more creative, even pr/marketing-type stuff. Not straight sales, though.

As a writer myself (but of a different sort), I've been hit up by a couple people looking for freelance work. So yes, they exist. Copywriting/marketing is one of the easiest ones to break into. It's a very social profession, so if you just mix you're bound to come up with a few leads naturally. More creative, less professional (read: less white collar office) lines of work I'm less qualified to say.

I believe the way that people happened across me is by peppering my profile with marketing buzzwords, since I did a bit of it at one time. Work your networking and assuming you did the same thing as I did, you'll probably find some leads on a marketing gig.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Are putting Job Posts on LinkedIn worth the $300+ per job listing?

I am looking to fill a few positions but I am hesitant to spend that much money on only a 30 Day listing, especially since using online job posting services(mainly the free ones) has led to some really poor applicants or even none at all.

Anyone have experience posting jobs on LinkedIn and if so would you say it's worth the coin?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I can't speak for job posters, but from a job seeker point of view, oh man it is so nice applying for a job directly through LinkedIn. No need to reenter data, no need to register yet another account, and usually get a call back. The sooner companies stop using Taleo, the better.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

I can't speak for job posters, but from a job seeker point of view, oh man it is so nice applying for a job directly through LinkedIn. No need to reenter data, no need to register yet another account, and usually get a call back. The sooner companies stop using Taleo, the better.

God gently caress taleo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Taleo is shorthand for "a human will never read your application." But at least it took you five times as long to complete as any other online application, and infinitely longer than "ATTACH RESUME, HIT SUBMIT," which is what almost every good company is doing now.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Taleo is shorthand for "a human will never read your application." But at least it took you five times as long to complete as any other online application, and infinitely longer than "ATTACH RESUME, HIT SUBMIT," which is what almost every good company is doing now.

I got my job from a aero/defense company by applying online through Taleo to 7 open positions they had.

...I had to have applied to at least 150 others without a single call back.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Pretend I emptyquoted all of the posts about Taleo.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Haven't stopped by this thread in a long time, but now that I've moved on from freelancing to a full time job, I could use some advice.

I'm one of those 'creative professionals', meaning that I'm an illustrator/graphic designer, and also a content and copy writer. Two months ago I started working at an online marketing agency as a content producer and editor. Suddenly I know a whole lot more about SEO and web metrics. I need to update my LinkedIn profile with a bunch of new skills. What's the best way to do this? Comments are appreciated, thanks.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I was recommended to cross-post this in the Working in IT thread. I'd really appreciate some help. I've read the OP, the first couple of pages, and the last few pages, but I'm still uncertain:

My job search isn't going very well, and it needs to because of my current hellish employment. I'm being character-assassinated by that frumpy finance lady that writes emails in Comic Sans that doesn't understand why that techie new kid (kid because I look young for mid-30s) that runs the company's IT department can't find a suitable monitor stand for an AIO PC and doesn't want to commit to answering the front desk phone when the receptionist is away.

So I'm updating LinkedIn for the first time in a few years.

I have some general questions and issues:
1) I'd like to remain hidden from some people at an old company, certain petty individuals would love to see what I'm currently up to. I've blocked a couple already, but I'm unsure if that's enough. I've listed my old company although I did not Follow it. I notice quite a few people don't have a name but display LinkedIn Member, should I do the same?

2) I don't want nosy social media connections (college acquaintances, ex-GFs, etc.) browsing through all my information, but I do want recruiters to be able to view my profile and contact me.

3) In the Description field, should I just copy and paste the bullet list from my resume? Or is a brief summary more appropriate? Should I list general duties, major projects, or what? And again, should I just slightly tweak the information from my resume? I'd really appreciate advice here.

4) Where can I list my experiences with specific hardware, software, network administration and monitoring and security and protocols and so on?

5) I'm worried about worlds colliding and what it looks like. My friends and experiences working in bands/music production should be separate from my tech career. I'm worried about appearing unprofessional, I don't want it to look like I'm trying to be a Cool Dude (I'm not). I want to appear like a professional and serious employee (I am).

Edit - 6) Is it possible to move around my Experience list? The previous section at the top of my page lists a not-serious job next to serious jobs. I prefer to have the list at the top and the Experience list below in a different order.

Ideally, I'm only using LinkedIn to find a job (or have a job find me), I don't care about adding friends, seeming popular, boasting My Brand. Can anyone offer guidance and/or assurance?

Thank you so much for reading.

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 17, 2016

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

1) I'd like to remain hidden from some people at an old company, certain petty individuals would love to see what I'm currently up to. I've blocked a couple already, but I'm unsure if that's enough. I've listed my old company although I did not Follow it. I notice quite a few people don't have a name but display LinkedIn Member, should I do the same?

You can disable your profile updates being published in your connections' news feeds using a toggle on the right that's visible when you're in edit mode on your profile, however short of blocking people there is no way that I know of to selectively limit your information from certain people.

The "Linkedin Member" thing is almost certainly because they've selected to not display their name to third degree connections. I don't recommend that because maximizing your visibility to others is the general goal and strategy behind job hunting on Linkedin. Of course that decision is up to you ultimately.

ProperCoochie posted:

2) I don't want nosy social media connections (college acquaintances, ex-GFs, etc.) browsing through all my information, but I do want recruiters to be able to view my profile and contact me.

Again, this is not really possible and in fact probably the opposite of what you should be doing--that's my take. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this but it's up to you. There's only so much you can get from a Linkedin profile (compared to say, a Facebook profile that many people have had for 10+ years at this point). But again, you do you.

ProperCoochie posted:

3) In the Description field, should I just copy and paste the bullet list from my resume? Or is a brief summary more appropriate? Should I list general duties, major projects, or what? And again, should I just slightly tweak the information from my resume? I'd really appreciate advice here.

I want to say this is covered in some detail in the OP but if you view my posts in this thread with the "?" button under my av, I know I've written about this before and that should still be fully applicable now. There are also probably applicable posts from other people near any relevant posts you find this way.

ProperCoochie posted:

4) Where can I list my experiences with specific hardware, software, network administration and monitoring and security and protocols and so on?

The best place for this is probably in your 'Summary' block. Alternatively, you could split it up among your 'Experience' entries but this is very situationally dependent. If you've worked with a wide variety of specialized technologies that were mostly only applicable to one position and not others, for example, then I'd say split them up. Conversely if you've worked with more generalized technologies that could apply to multiple kinds of roles and positions, I'd list them by category in the summary.

Bear in mind that the Summary block is almost the only part that you can guarantee any visitors to read, so definitely hit the highlights there. Adding a raw dump of keywords at the very bottom of the Summary block where it will minimize the clutter is something I've done, but that was at a point in the past where it was readily apparent that people were still doing Monster-style keyword searches looking for hits. Don't know if that's still common or not, but I have no reason to think otherwise at least. It works, though.

ProperCoochie posted:

5) I'm worried about worlds colliding and what it looks like. My friends and experiences working in bands/music production should be separate from my tech career. I'm worried about appearing unprofessional, I don't want it to look like I'm trying to be a Cool Dude (I'm not). I want to appear like a professional and serious employee (I am).

I don't know what this means really--it almost sounds like you have skeletons in the closet or something that you want to keep hidden. There's no reason to worry if you stick to professional qualifications and a professional tone in your profile, and don't go listing your favorite bands or all the holiday destinations you've been to or something. If you don't want to include the music stuff, then don't.

ProperCoochie posted:

Edit - 6) Is it possible to move around my Experience list? The previous section at the top of my page lists a not-serious job next to serious jobs. I prefer to have the list at the top and the Experience list below in a different order.

You can freely reorder anything (positions, profile sections, etc.) by dragging and dropping in most cases. Before you worry about adding anything, I'd go through and purge everything from the older version of your profile that you want to get rid of, before adding more. Otherwise you'll run the risk of editors fatigue and probably leave stuff in that you'd rather not, just from your eyes glazing over from scrolling up and down so much.

ProperCoochie posted:

Ideally, I'm only using LinkedIn to find a job (or have a job find me), I don't care about adding friends, seeming popular, boasting My Brand. Can anyone offer guidance and/or assurance?

Thank you so much for reading.

Well, you're in the right place, because everything aside from the first purpose is out of scope for this thread (and really inappropriate for Linkedin in general, imo). Though it's fair to say that doing all of this is actually the definition of boosting your personal brand.

Try and loosen up a bit too--it'll do you good when you start getting interviews. :)

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 17, 2016

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
What job boards are you folks using besides linkedin? I'm a program manager in tech, if that helps.

I'm back on the market after my linkedin success story 2 years ago. I've been directly messaging recruiters like before, but have had less success. I have 6 years of experience now, and 1 year at the senior level. A bit surprised at the low response rate. Either people started using linkedin correctly so recruiters are desensitized or I'm just targeting established companies with higher volume (Microsoft, Amazon, etc.)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

What job boards are you folks using besides linkedin? I'm a program manager in tech, if that helps.

I'm back on the market after my linkedin success story 2 years ago. I've been directly messaging recruiters like before, but have had less success. I have 6 years of experience now, and 1 year at the senior level. A bit surprised at the low response rate. Either people started using linkedin correctly so recruiters are desensitized or I'm just targeting established companies with higher volume (Microsoft, Amazon, etc.)

Probably a little bit of both. Since I wrote the OP I've seen the advice appear in different forms in a lot of different forms and formats. Also, larger, established companies tend to hire mid-to-senior levels by headhunting them directly, so a C-level potential employee generally gets picked up through targeted recruitment rather than wideband trolling on Linkedin. Whatever else, Linkedin is definitely more useful for people without a personal (face-to-face) network to work off of.

Leverage your title in your name card, and start really taking a fine toothed comb to your position descriptions and experience, is the best advice I can give. Make sure to include relevant metrics too, and don't be afraid to softball them. Not saying make poo poo up, but do things like consider using potential revenue in place of actuals, and above all else, use numbers.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I sent a join request to Stairmasters. Anything I have to do to prove I'm me/I'm a goon?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GenericGirlName posted:

I sent a join request to Stairmasters. Anything I have to do to prove I'm me/I'm a goon?

Given it's an unlisted group, the only way you can find it is via this thread so i'm sure they just approve all apps assuming you're a goon.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

vyst posted:

Given it's an unlisted group, the only way you can find it is via this thread so i'm sure they just approve all apps assuming you're a goon.

oh oops, I guess I should have realized that.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Just cleaned up the backlog in join requests. Sorry if you'd been in limbo for so long.

Also hello nice new slick looking group management interface.

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Probably a little bit of both. Since I wrote the OP I've seen the advice appear in different forms in a lot of different forms and formats. Also, larger, established companies tend to hire mid-to-senior levels by headhunting them directly, so a C-level potential employee generally gets picked up through targeted recruitment rather than wideband trolling on Linkedin. Whatever else, Linkedin is definitely more useful for people without a personal (face-to-face) network to work off of.

Leverage your title in your name card, and start really taking a fine toothed comb to your position descriptions and experience, is the best advice I can give. Make sure to include relevant metrics too, and don't be afraid to softball them. Not saying make poo poo up, but do things like consider using potential revenue in place of actuals, and above all else, use numbers.

Thanks. My experience has been that I don't pull any recruiters unless I'm working for a highly visible company in a desirable role. At that point it doesn't even matter what I put in my descriptions. I even removed all of mine to make it more professional and haven't bothered to update them since.

The strategy that always works for me is finding openings, be it via linkedin, company website, or some other job board, and then getting in touch with people through linkedin. They almost never view my profile.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

The strategy that always works for me is finding openings, be it via linkedin, company website, or some other job board, and then getting in touch with people through linkedin. They almost never view my profile.

That's fair and in fact in my perception would be a keynote that this person knows how to close. People that know how to get close to and interact with the gatekeepers are how you spot the gold as far as people-managers as far as I'm concerned.

For other thread content, I give you this, a survey I got sent from linkedin about their service. The fact that they'd have to send this is either because of my engagement with the site or a sign it's going downhill fast. Probably both, considering how much spam I've been seeing in the last two years and the fact that my professional email address is suddenly getting spam in the past 6 months in particular. I would guess that they sold a bunch of user data and it didn't quite boost their revenue, but who knows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I had a massive spike in spam about half a year ago and I traced it to my linkedin profile. Not sure how it happened, but I had to change my address as a result.

It could have something to do with this:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/05/then-there-were-117-million-linkedin-password-breach-much-bigger-than-thought/

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I had a massive spike in spam about half a year ago and I traced it to my linkedin profile. Not sure how it happened, but I had to change my address as a result.

It could have something to do with this:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/05/then-there-were-117-million-linkedin-password-breach-much-bigger-than-thought/

Welp. Would make sense though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Totally TWISTED posted:

Me too - or I was, and now I changed job and added a new position but didn't write a load if bumf about it yet, it dropped me back to expert

• Locked thread