Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kansas
Dec 3, 2012
I found LinkedIn extremely useful for finding people at companies I was interested in rather than submitting through the generic email or submission form. Find a mutual connection with someone in recruiting at your target community and ask for an introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
How much detail do you put in for each of your positions. Right now I have a very brief (one line) description. Should I put in more of a description, or is no one really going to read it?

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Sarcasmatron posted:

Being overly selective about accepting invites is missing the point. There's no downside to making and accepting invites - you do not get LinkedIn cooties.

Just curious - what does connecting with someone you don't know (e.g. random person, someone in Stairmasters, etc.) actually get you? I would feel awkward asking a random person for support when they have no idea if I am a capable person or a corporate slacker. Conversely if someone I didn't know asked me for help I would be worried because I wouldn't feel comfortable effectively vouching for someone when I've never worked with them.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Fair point, in truth my question was not very hypothetical.

Any suggestions for dealing with an impersonal/mostly unknown connection that is asking for me to give their resume to our HR department? I don't want to hand it to HR and either say 'I have no idea if this guy is good' nor vouch for someone I do not know. This person I literally met once at meeting a year ago. Guess I could just say I barely know them and don't feel comfortable giving their info to HR which would be a semi-implicit recommendation.

Second question, has anyone ever been asked to provide an endorsement (the real kind, not the skill kind) for someone who is really terrible and most certainly does not deserve one?

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Xandu posted:

I would not have brought it up in the interview like that if I were him; I'd have just asked what your background was. But when I was looking for a job, I absolutely looked up the backgrounds of the people interviewing me and I don't think it's that uncommon. He just sort of lacked tact.

100% agree, I've done this and found out an interviewer worked with my manager 10 years prior on a different continent. I didn't ask him details about all of his work history, but did mention the connection. I don't think I was super creepy about it and he didn't act like it, plus I got the job so it couldn't have been too bad. Agree with Xandu that it is 100% in how you bring it up.

• Locked thread