Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Thought I’d share something about LinkedIn that people often overlook.

A good headline gets you noticed
Please please please update your headline. It's that little blurb of text that shows under your name/picture in search results. LinkedIn automatically creates a headline for you using your job title and company name. The vast majority of people don't even know they are allowed to make changes to improve their headline.

A good headline catches a reader’s attention and gives them enough information to decide that you’re someone they really want to find out more about. Pretend you’re a recruiter looking to hire someone to design your new consumer gadget. Which of the following two people are you going to be more interested in meeting?

John Doe - Product Designer at Apple Corp
-or-
John Smith - Product designer responsible for creating the original iPhone, a world-wide best seller and cultural phenomenon

If I’m the recruiter, I just clicked on John Smith’s profile and never gave John Doe a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Fame Throwa posted:

Do you have to put a picture up? I'm not totally comfortable putting a picture of myself online, especially on a site where anyone can view it. It doesn't help that I don't have any professional looking pictures of myself, and I really don't photograph well at all.
My thoughts on the profile are this - I definitely recommend adding a photo. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just throw on a decent looking dress shirt and have a friend take a shot of you standing next to a brick wall or something.

If I were a recruiter searching for someone to hire I'd probably skip everyone without a photo. Not because I care what they look like, but because I assume anyone without a photo doesn't use LinkedIn very often and I don't want to waste my (limited) time on profiles that aren't up to date or people who don't check messages from LinkedIn.

-RTB

edit: From WSJ blog "LinkedIn profiles that include a photograph are seven times more likely to be viewed than those that don’t, according to company stats. Without a photo, you’ll be more likely miss out on a job rather than land one. "
Source

RTB fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 11, 2013

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

DukAmok posted:

I have a pretty goofy headline. I like it because it's actually true and super unique (not "Rockstar Ninja" or some buzzword BS), and usually sparks conversations with new connections and within companies I work at. To be honest though, I'm not sure how well it plays outside my current network/company. I didn't feel too compelled to be super serious when I was working my way up through entry level, but now that I'm facing moving up to a managerial role and starting to field some more recruiters, I don't want my inside joke of a headline to give some weird impression. Any opinions?

I always go back to the recruiter test - If a recruiter for my dream job saw this, would they be more or less likely to click through to my profile? Recruiters are often busy, so I tend to keep it more to the point. Job title plus some certifications/accomplishments/awards you’ve received that make you stand out above others.

That said, I think it also depends a lot on your industry and what your current goals are. A unique/fun headline like yours could also help weed out boring recruiters and provide a filter so you’re only getting found by less uptight companies. That’s perfectly fine as long as you’re aware of it and it’s what you want.

Finally, don’t feel like you have to come up with something perfect today. You can change it every week/month if you want to see what works the best. Just making it non-generic will already put you ahead of most LinkedIn users.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

kathmandu posted:

The worst case scenario, I suppose, is they set you up with an interview for a job you're not qualified for. :shrug:

Looks like I missed the discussions about recruiters – But I wanted to add that this is not the worst that can happen.

You need to tell all recruiters flat out NOT to send your resume to any company without your prior consent, preferably in writing. Especially when you are working with multiple recruiters. I always write that in the email when I send the resume.

It all comes down to the way these recruiters are paid. They get money if they’re the first person to send your resume to the company. There are some less reputable recruiters who will just shotgun your resume out for any position for which you’re even remotely qualified. You don’t realize it at the time, but it can be a problem later on.

Let’s say you’re at an event and meet a friend’s mom who happens to be looking for someone to hire for your dream job. She invites you in for an interview and it goes great. Then you get a call a few days later saying they can’t hire you because you ‘already applied’ and they aren’t willing to pay a recruiter’s commission for that position. That recruiter didn’t do any work for you, but they just screwed you out of a great job.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

You're looking for visibility to recruiters, and combined with the other activities mentioned in the OP, adding more connections will cause your profile views to balloon.

Seconding this - Having more connections means you show up far more often in searches.
It also allows more potential recruiters to send you a connection request for free instead of paying for the privilege of contacting you.

If you're searching for a new job, your goal should be to make it as easy as possible for recruiters to find you and get in touch with you.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

KnifeWrench posted:

There aren't really any active topics in those groups, at least not that I can meaningfully contribute to. I don't want to spam or low-content post; is this just the sign of a bad group?

Could be a sign of a bad group, or just a slow week.
Either way it can't hurt to ask a relevant question and request the group's opinion. For example, if it's a group for job seekers, ask what people think of objective statements on resumes, or how people answer the 'biggest weakness' question during interviews. If you get responses, great. If not, move on to a new group and try again.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

Are there any services that will overhaul your LinkedIn page for you? I have just about everything else (Nearly 1000 connections, tons of group memberships, etc), but feel like the copy on my page needs quite a bit of work/SEO magic.

Forbidden Kiss posted:

If there are don't give them your money.

If you're a reasonably intelligent person you'll be able to do it yourself better than any of these clowns.

LinkedIn profiles are similar to resumes -- Any intelligent person can find out how to write a great resume/profile. There are tons of free guides all over the web. But not everyone has the time or desire to learn. Some people would rather pay a few bucks and not have to deal with it.

That said, you sound like you've already done most of the hard work and just need to polish it up a bit. Look at others with similar jobs and see what keywords they're using. Then find a way to work them into your profile.

PM me if you'd like a second set of eyes on your profile.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

ObsidianBeast posted:

It seems like they've changed how the "People you may know" page works, so it doesn't provide endless scrolling. It used to be that when you got to the bottom of the page, it would load more, but now it's just a single page with no option to view more. Maybe I'm missing something?

For me it still loads more people as I scroll.
That was in Firefox. Maybe try a different browser?

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

kansas posted:

100% agree, I've done this and found out an interviewer worked with my manager 10 years prior on a different continent. I didn't ask him details about all of his work history, but did mention the connection. I don't think I was super creepy about it and he didn't act like it, plus I got the job so it couldn't have been too bad. Agree with Xandu that it is 100% in how you bring it up.

I completely agree that this comes down to how you bring it up.

I've looked at the interviewer's LinkedIn page before and I think it helped me land the job. I noticed he went to college in my home town, so I casually mentioned that I took a look at his LinkedIn profile and asked him how he liked living there. We ended up talking about that for almost 10 minutes. Sometimes landing a job comes down to how relatable you are, and having something in common with the interviewer helped.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

salted hash browns posted:

Really quickly, what is the reasoning for this again? It seems unlikely that I would ask a stranger for an in at his company, or ask a random person for an introduction to someone else.

When a recruiter searches LinkedIn they see their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level connections at the top of the list.
If you're connected to a recruiter, odds are they will find you when searching for talent.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Two things:

1) I'm running out of things to add to my profile to get my completion up. The improve my profile button is now telling me to add hilarious things like volunteer experience and causes I care about. Is completion percent also tied to how many connections you have? Because I don't have so many.

I think the threshold is 50 connections. If you have fewer than that it will say your profile is incomplete.

-Bob

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I add recruiters as connections? I don't know if I posted it in this thread or not but none of my friends use LinkedIn to get jobs and only a very small handful have an account just to have one but never use it. Everybody I know gets jobs and networks the old fashioned way ("Hey former classmate/colleague Dave, I'm looking for a job in out in Nantucket, can I shoot you my resume and tell me if I'd fit in anywhere at Acme?" or "Hey Dave, know anyone over in Acme I could get in contact with?") so I don't have a whole lot of connections on LinkedIn. If I search for "engineer recruiter" for example everybody comes up in the "3rd/not connected" category and then when I try to connect it tells me I can't connect to people I don't know.

First, search for family, friends, classmates and current/former coworkers to connect with.
Then join some groups for Engineers in {your city}, or {Your City} Jobs, {Your school} alumni, etc.
Look at the list of people who are also members of those groups and request to connect with some of them.
As you build up more connections it kind of snowballs and you'll start to have more and more first/second connections that you can also connect with.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK, so I add the recruiters and then message then when they add me that I'm a blah blah blah and searching for a blah blah blah. They respond back and ask me to send them my resume.

Should I also be sending a cover letter to them at this point?

I would treat the body of your email as a “cover letter.” Mention you connected on LinkedIn and are sending your resume to be considered for any [job type] positions they’re looking to fill. If you want to add a summary of your skills and experience, just keep it to one paragraph (usually under 5 sentences).

Sidebar:
When sending a resume to recruiters – Always say something in the email like “Please contact me to discuss before sending my resume to companies.”

There are some unscrupulous recruiters who will shotgun your resume out to every company in town. This becomes a problem when you apply at that company on your own.
Since they received your resume from the recruiter first, the company would have to pay the recruiter’s fee if they hire you. Sometimes that’s enough for them to choose someone else.

-Bob

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for the answers. One last question: I'm going through my emails and one recruiter I contacted asked me to "send your resume in Word to _______" and I've been avoiding that one because my resume is a pdf and I don't even have Word installed. Is this just office talk (like "pinging/let me ping him" and "touch base" etc) or does this person actually want a Word document and why?

They actually want a Word document. (I think you can get a free trial from MS)
They will remove your contact info from the header and add their agency name/logo/contact info.
It's so companies don't get the resume and then cut out the recruiter and contact you directly.

-Bob

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Commissar Kayla posted:

"Thank you for reaching out to me, and I appreciate this opportunity greatly, but I have accepted a job offer and am no longer available to interview. I wish you the best of luck on your search for a candidate!"

Exactly this. It's part of the hiring process, and they'll understand.
You'll be fine as long as you give them a polite heads up, and don't just pull a no-show for the interview.

(Congrats by the way!)

• Locked thread