Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kennel posted:

Nordic Law sounds kind of badass (it's not).

Danelaw. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Honj Steak posted:

Im no Lawman, but I'll try to paraphrase the respective entries from the German Wikipedia.

German Law is characterised by its systemic approach. Basic thought processes try to be rational, abstract and objective ("conceptual"), which for instance manifests in the so-called Abstraktionsprinzip.
Main codifications are the civil codes of Germany (BGB), Austria (ABGB) and Switzerland (ZGB). Especially the German BGB is being used as a model for many law systems across the world.

The usual approach of Nordic law seems to be more practical, being characterised by the institution of the ombudsman, which is apparently something you also often see in common law systems. Another reason for having another subcategory called "nordic law" is seemingly the intense cooperation and synchronisation between the nordic countries. There are codifications, but none is as comprehensive as the German Law ones. Historically, nordic law was influenced more by old germanic law than by roman law.

I don't know if it's more "practical", but I think Nordic law puts relatively more import on common law type poo poo like unwritten rules, traditions and legal principles as they exist and/or have evolved in practice. Similarly, precedent is an important source of law, much like in common law type systems, but Judges aren't bound by it, and neither are they expected to create law (although they can, to some degree). Bit of a hodge podge, I guess, although probably more similar to other civil law type systems than not.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 24, 2014

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

"danelaw" was the processor to what would be our constitution, but it's actually not hold to the same regard, as Americans seem to hold theirs.
The point of it was to have the same law for everyone, in all parts of the country.

An example: There was a case, with a jeweller, who had been repeatedly robbed, and the 6th time, a robbers gun had gone off, and a gun had been held to the head of a family member (daughter, I believe).
This lead him to procure a gun, and the 7th time, he pulled it, and shot at the robbers, seriously wounding one, following the other, and firing at him.

The outcome:
He was charged with attempted murder, possession of a firearm, (all guns are illegal, you need a special permission from the state) and other such things related to it.
There was a huge outcry from the public, BECAUSE of the the many past robberies, and the violence that the Jeweller had reacted to.
He was sent to prison for 6 months for possession of a firearm, and was found "not guilty" on the attempted murder charge, It was also pretty obvious, that the judgement had been made such, as a appeasement to the public, and it WAS regarded as a quite fair judgement.

to note: no jury, no deals outside the courtroom, very rare that there is mandated minimum sentence, a judgement doesn't have any effect on future cases.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It's disturbing that he could even be charged with attempted murder after so many repeated assaults.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Presumable positive numbers means happy.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

withak posted:

"Characteristics"?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Here's where it comes from:
http://news.ubc.ca/2014/07/21/unhappy-cities/

The actual study is behind a paywall but the brief doesn't give much more information.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A little more detail here.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Unsurprising that people who live in Deliverance County, GA, are so happy. The state government craps on Atlanta to cater to these nowhere towns all the time.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
:lol: @ Kentuckiana

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
The happiest areas also have the lowest quality of life ratings by just about every metric, so I don't know what that map is trying to show.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

withak posted:

I live in Richmond-Petersburg, which was rated number one, and makes me feel pretty sure this was deeply flawed. Petersburg is a blasted wasteland of poverty, I can't imagine a more depressing place. It is definitely not happy.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

quote:

The data also carries in it an insight into how people make major life choices. If people only sought to live in happy places, cities like Richmond and Charlottesville, Virginia would be swamped with people, while New York would be desolate. Clearly, that hasn't happened.

:10bux: says this doofus is a libertarian.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Torrannor posted:

We know it's the legal system map! Look it up on Wikipedia and you will find it. It's not even the first time it's been posted in this thread!

It should also be named whycommonlawismisnamed.map

No it isn't. It's so called because its supposed to incorporate law as practised by the common people of the area.

3peat
May 6, 2010

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

That's an, uh, interesting choice of color scheme there

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hmm, I didn't know Djibouti was a french colony.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Count Roland posted:

The French Territory of the Afars and the Issas (or French Somaliland)

It's pretty much the only vestige of the French attempt to unify the eastern Sahara and the Western Sahara (and block British colonial expansion) that almost led to an early World War I when French forces looking to unite it with French West Africa encountered British forces looking to unite their upper Nile holdings in British East Africa with Egypt in the Fashoda Incident.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

(glorious Bhutan)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Fandyien posted:

I live in Richmond-Petersburg, which was rated number one, and makes me feel pretty sure this was deeply flawed. Petersburg is a blasted wasteland of poverty, I can't imagine a more depressing place. It is definitely not happy.

It says it's adjusted for "Characteristics," maybe one of the adjustments was normalizing to income. That's pretty stupid, as being in poverty is decidedly not pleasant, but maybe it's something like "Well, these people have 1/10 the income, but they're only 8 times as miserable, so relatively, they're pretty happy!"

(It's just like all those articles that came out about how hard rich people really have it, what with having to pay for housekeeping and private schools and the tennis coach for little Aiden, Brayden, and Jayden.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CellBlock posted:

It says it's adjusted for "Characteristics," maybe one of the adjustments was normalizing to income. That's pretty stupid, as being in poverty is decidedly not pleasant, but maybe it's something like "Well, these people have 1/10 the income, but they're only 8 times as miserable, so relatively, they're pretty happy!"

(It's just like all those articles that came out about how hard rich people really have it, what with having to pay for housekeeping and private schools and the tennis coach for little Aiden, Brayden, and Jayden.)

There was a separate map that adjusted for income.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 24, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kainser posted:

(glorious Bhutan)
Lithuania should swap colours with Estonia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That map can't be right, I don't feel very happy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kainser posted:

(glorious Bhutan)

Was that before or after Brazil was humiliated at the World Cup?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

That map can't be right, I don't feel very happy.
It is just 'most happy', so maybe those all are shades of feeling lovely.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Count Roland posted:

You can tell the French colonized it because of the dumb way they spelled Jibuti.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

made of bees posted:

You can tell the French colonized it because of the dumb way they spelled Jibuti.

How is one European spelling superior to another? It's pronounced the same way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait... if you map happiness, adjusted for income and other "characteristics", it's not actually surprising that they end up with a bunch of impoverished places scoring well. It doesn't even mean that they're happy there, just that they're not as miserable as you'd predict based on "characteristics".

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

quote:

"One interpretation of these facts is that individuals do not aim to maximize self-reported well-being, or happiness, as measured in surveys, and they willingly endure less happiness in exchange for higher incomes or lower housing costs," they write.

Scientists baffled by population's insistence on meeting costs of living, financial security in face of uncertain future.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

All the poor people are just too poor to realize they should be unhappy but the rich people can afford to be miserable you see.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I know some well off people who complain about how tough their job is. They also leave after lunch at least once a week to go golfing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Some of the happiest people I've met were on the poverty-stricken outskirts of Tijuana.

Ignorance is bliss.

Edit: Also a couple cases of folks giving up the "big life" in SoCal to live in simplicity instead.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 25, 2014

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The happiest man I've ever known was a French dude in his 30s who had worked in IT, being quite well off, before asking himself for what exactly he was working his rear end off. Cue leaving his job, selling everything and joining a very strict catholic mendicant order. He doesn't even have a mattress in his cell, yet he was simply radiating with happiness when I met him five years ago.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

System Metternich posted:

The happiest man I've ever known was a French dude in his 30s who had worked in IT, being quite well off, before asking himself for what exactly he was working his rear end off. Cue leaving his job, selling everything and joining a very strict catholic mendicant order. He doesn't even have a mattress in his cell, yet he was simply radiating with happiness when I met him five years ago.

Jesus is a hell of a drug.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really not controversial at all to suggest that happiness doesn't correlate with wealth.

http://markhumphrys.com/Bitmaps/money.happiness.jpg

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

vintagepurple posted:

It's really not controversial at all to suggest that happiness doesn't correlate with wealth.

1. Make claim.
  2. Post graph that refutes claim.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

vintagepurple posted:

Israel and Canada, famous Western European countries. India, famous Latin American country.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Darth Various posted:

Israel and Canada, famous Western European countries. India, famous Latin American country.

Israel is part of UEFA and participates in the Eurovision Song Contest!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Irradiation posted:

I know some well off people who complain about how tough their job is.

I too have read some my job sucks threads on the SA user forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Eurovision song contest:

Participation since 1956
Green = Entered at least once
Yellow = Never entered, although eligible to do so
Purple = Entry intended, but later withdrew

Cities that have hosted Eurovision

Both images from here

Why isn't Syria allowed to participate when both Lebanon and Israel is allowed?

And Kazakhstan is apparently not allowed either.