Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Republic is often seen as something on which the American Founding Fathers based their idea for the United States. While it's certain that the Declaration of Independence is based on a similar document that was written for the Dutch Republic earlier, the Republic is not very comparable to any modern countries. It was the first country to be called a 'republic' but that isn't saying much.

Wait, that can't be right. Even if you accept that the Roman Republic didn't call itself a republic (Res Publica Romana), what about the Republic of Venice or the Republic of Genoa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It was a federal republic, which was a new institution. The Dutch Republic was a coalition of independent states . . . just like the Articles of Confederation and the later Constitution intended the US to be. While hella oligarchic, it was still a new institution since it had many quasi-independent components working together. Venice, Genoa and others were a lot more unified (even if there was still a lot of noble in-fighting). That's what makes the Dutch Republic so important.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

It's interesting to see just how sparsely populated the interior is.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Most of Iberia is like that:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

And then there's madrid ruining everything! :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Spain is where they filmed a lot of Spaghetti Westerns. It seems like a nice place (like home for me), maybe a good retirement place for places outside of the US.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hey! Just like California! :ca:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

computer parts posted:

Spain is where they filmed a lot of Spaghetti Westerns. It seems like a nice place (like home for me), maybe a good retirement place for places outside of the US.

Good enough for Norway to run retirement homes there.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Wait, that can't be right. Even if you accept that the Roman Republic didn't call itself a republic (Res Publica Romana), what about the Republic of Venice or the Republic of Genoa?

None of those are considered the first country to be called a republic because none of those were countries. They were all city states.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Carbon dioxide posted:

Republic of the Seven United Netherlands.

Mmm, a nice juicy post. This is the best thread, I sincerely thought my question was stupid pattern-seeking but you guys are still able to make reams of interesting info out of it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

DrSunshine posted:

I remember reading a Krugman blog post indicating that LA's urban area had become more dense than New York's.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

Modern Day Hercules posted:

None of those are considered the first country to be called a republic because none of those were countries. They were all city states.

What do you define as a country? A nation state? Is there a reason that a city state could not be considered a country? Especially considering the extreme amounts of variation in culture and language among the Italian city states. This really just depends on your definition.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
One of my favourite republics is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea: a de jure necrocracy that's a de facto communist hereditary absolute monarchy. :getin:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

DrSunshine posted:

The scales are way different, though. To me, living in Texas, fifty people per square km is a whole hell of a lot. And when measuring in square miles, that's something like a 2.5x multiplier. If Spain's low density places were in California, the deep green parts would be very light green to yellow.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember reading a Krugman blog post indicating that LA's urban area had become more dense than New York's.

How on earth is that possible? Unless by "New York" you mean New York State.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DrSunshine posted:

Wow! The Mojave desert makes you wish for a nuclear winter..

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

TinTower posted:

One of my favourite republics is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea: a de jure communist necrocracy that's a de facto communist fascist hereditary absolute monarchy. :getin:

Fixed that for you since North Korea has really diverged from anything considered communist thought.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TinTower posted:

One of my favourite republics is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea: a de jure necrocracy that's a de facto communist hereditary absolute monarchy. :getin:

Communist Zombie posted:

Fixed that for you since North Korea has really diverged from anything considered communist thought.

Very nice post/AV combo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

This is partly why Spain is so afraid to lose Catalonia and the Basque Country. They happen to be two of their most industrialized and densely populated regions.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Phlegmish posted:

This is partly why Spain is so afraid to lose Catalonia and the Basque Country. They happen to be two of their most industrialized and densely populated regions.

Don't forget that Andalusia and Galicia, the other orangeish-reddish areas, are not entirely happy with Madrid either.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Modern Day Hercules posted:

The Roman Republic at it's greatest extent would be the 15th biggest country by area today, how can that be a city state?

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Peanut President posted:

According to Census info, it's true, but its definition of New York City's "urban area", seems to include a good chunk of Connecticut and northern New Jersey.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

Don't forget that Andalusia and Galicia, the other orangeish-reddish areas, are not entirely happy with Madrid either.

Nobody in Spain wants to be Spanish, is a well known fact in Iberia.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Kopijeger posted:

I could not find a good map covering the entire peninsula, but the population of Iberia was formerly concentrated in the interior - especially in Castilla, which had a far higher population than Aragon or Portugal* - it was only after the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries that the coasts became relatively dominant. The other obvious change from the sixteenth century was Madrid's rise to prominence.

The only area of Spain that maintained anything like its relative density from 1591 is the core of Old Castilla from Valladolid to Salamanca.

*The populations of Aragon and Portugal are not depicted in the map, unfortunately.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 24, 2014

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
North African pirate raids also ravaged the coasts of Spain and Italy in the 16-18th centuries and drove a lot of people inland.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Randallteal posted:

North African pirate raids also ravaged the coasts of Spain and Italy in the 16-18th centuries and drove a lot of people inland.

In Corsica too.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

The most over-represented job in each state:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Would have thought California's is actors/entertainers...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's with butchers in Alaska? Nebraska I can kind of understand, but when I think of the economy of Alaska I don't exactly think of meat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pakled posted:

What's with butchers in Alaska? Nebraska I can kind of understand, but when I think of the economy of Alaska I don't exactly think of meat.

[Seal clubbing joke here]

Also I'm not surprised about Petroleum Engineers in Texas.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

Probably a lotta dudes handling meat for the various mining/oil/etc outposts out there, as well as preparing the fishing catches and such.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

It's not complete, but it's the best map I could find for a North America vs. Europe homicide rate comparison. Not sure what year the data is from.

Also:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Mu Cow posted:

According to Census info, it's true, but its definition of New York City's "urban area", seems to include a good chunk of Connecticut and northern New Jersey.

In fact, the built-up urban area of New York City is, I believe, the world's largest at 17ksqkm, over twice the size of Greater Tokyo's. But the city of New York itself is far denser than the city of Los Angeles.

Also, New York's region can kind of spread out, whereas LA, despite its reputation of sprawl, has pretty much filled its container. It'll have to leapfrog a desert or mountain range to keep that up, so the trend lately is towards higher density.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The whole of LA is tamed desert, anyway. Although it would get progressively expensive to pump more and more water around if it expands.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Peanut President posted:

NYC is of course much denser than LA when measuring by city limits, but LA has the densest urban and metro areas in the US. Basically, LA's giant surrounding area of suburbia is more densely packed than NYC's giant surrounding suburban area. Denser-than-normal (for the US) suburbs/single family home neighborhoods, is kind of a CA thing. For example, after LA, SF has the second densest urban and metro areas in the US.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I actually managed to find this map of nationalist movements in Spain. When combined with the earlier maps posted about Spanish population density, this map makes it hard to not see why Spain views the success of nationalist movements as the destruction of their own nation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rah! posted:

NYC is of course much denser than LA when measuring by city limits, but LA has the densest urban and metro areas in the US. Basically, LA's giant surrounding area of suburbia is more densely packed than NYC's giant surrounding suburban area. Denser-than-normal (for the US) suburbs/single family home neighborhoods, is kind of a CA thing. For example, after LA, SF has the second densest urban and metro areas in the US.

There is no way the Bay Area is the second densest metro in the US, the entire metro area has a million less people than NYC in it, spread all the way around the bay.

The US Census considers the Bay Area metro to have a density of about 1100 people per square mile, NYC metro to be 1874 per square mile, LA is 2650.

And if you're thinking of the Census' weighted density measurement, then it becomes NYC metro in first place, Bay Area in second place, and LA metro in third place.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 25, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

There is no way the Bay Area is the second densest metro in the US, the entire metro area has a million less people than NYC in it, spread all the way around the bay.

The US Census considers the Bay Area metro to have a density of about 1100 people per square mile, NYC metro to be 1874 per square mile, LA is 2650.

And if you're thinking of the Census' weighted density measurement, then it becomes NYC metro in first place, Bay Area in second place, and LA metro in third place.

Any chance you could link to the data? Can't seem to find, and I am curious as to how other cities compare.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OddObserver posted:

Any chance you could link to the data? Can't seem to find, and I am curious as to how other cities compare.

http://www.austincontrarian.com/austincontrarian/2012/09/the-50-densest-american-metropolitan-areas-by-weighted-density.html
http://www.census.gov/population/metro/data/pop_pro.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

(Gun-related fatalities)
https://www.vocativ.com/usa/guns/whats-deadliest-day-week-state/