Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

System Metternich posted:

Catholics in the western hemisphere, to be precise. Catholicism is booming in Africa and Asia, 92% of Catholic Nigerians attend mass at least weekly and the fact that the number of priests is actually growing again is almost exclusively due to this boom. Sadly they're almost universally hardcore conservative when compared to European and American Catholics.

e:

Wait, Catholics as a percentage of the whole population actually grew in Saudi Arabia from 1970 to whenever the map was made? And is that dot in Iraq grey for stable?

Edit: Forgot "Arabia" :(

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Wait, Catholics as a percentage of the whole population actually grew in Saudi from 1970 to whenever the map was made? And is that dot in Iraq grey for stable?

Likely due to an increase in foreign workers, like maids from the Philipines.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Torrannor posted:

Wait, Catholics as a percentage of the whole population actually grew in Saudi Arabia from 1970 to whenever the map was made? And is that dot in Iraq grey for stable?

Edit: Forgot "Arabia" :(

The dot in Iraq looks like it's labeled as shrinking. I remember reading about how Iraqi Christians were leaving the country in droves during the Iraq War, fearing being targeted by all the sectarian violence.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

for USA, public enemy numero uno is terrorism. and also cyberterrorism. those are really the two conflict risks for america

Mexico and Yemen have their lil' wars going on. Wikipedia's map of ongoing conflicts by deaths per year might be more interesting:

Huh, neat. I'd think Central Asia would have some colour to it.

Torrannor posted:

Shiite rebels against the Sunni government, it's actually more than a "little" conflict.

The rebels in the north are Houthi, who are Shia, but religion isn't their primary motivator in the conflict. There's also an al-queda franchise/sunni rebels in the east of the country that the US periodically drone strikes, though how many are al-queda and how many are just opponents of the government is a trickier question.

And that catholic map is interesting too, its been a good morning. I'm surprised Canada's Catholic population is increasing; I guess its from immigration, but wouldn't huge immigration from Mexico also cause the US population to go up?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Count Roland posted:

And that catholic map is interesting too, its been a good morning. I'm surprised Canada's Catholic population is increasing; I guess its from immigration, but wouldn't huge immigration from Mexico also cause the US population to go up?

The highest (Catholic) migrants seem to be from the Philippines actually.

e: in 2012, they were 12.7% of the total migrant population (essentially tied with China).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Canada

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
A couple pages behind the discussion, but I'm just catching up:

Those population density maps look simply like PlacesNearWater.jpg to me. What are some places that have crazy high density but are not near major rivers/oceans/lakes/seas?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

wukkar posted:

Those population density maps look simply like PlacesNearWater.jpg to me. What are some places that have crazy high density but are not near major rivers/oceans/lakes/seas?

Not sure if this was already posted, but you can always take a look at this map right here:

There are a few high population areas that aren't near water, particularly in Siberia or central africa, but for the most part yes it generally does follow water. I don't really blame people either; a good sea or ocean can provide you with more food than you could ever need through fish. Even better if it's a river or fresh water lake, because that's also your source of water pinned down as well. It's getting a little more mixed due to better methods of food and water transportation, but keep in mind that most of the infrastructure that allowed population to boom was developed in areas that have been settled for long periods of time.

Edit: Access to water also gives you better transportation and trade because of boats, so that's another incentive towards settling near water that I forgot to mention.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 30, 2014

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Why would anyone build a city somewhere they cant get water? Even those Siberian blips are near rivers.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 30, 2014

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Jaramin posted:

Why would anyone build a city somewhere they cant get water? Even those Siberian blips are near rivers.

Eh, places that seem far away from water can actually get a good source of it from a well or something. Water wells have been around since neolithic times, so it isn't exactly a novel concept. Civilizations also generally liked to develop better methods of transporting water to allow for inland settling; this has been practiced since antiquity, with Aqueducts being an obvious example. Of course, there are just places where it's impractical to both get water or transport it to, and those are known as some of the whiter areas on the map.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 30, 2014

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

You don't dig wells to supply large urban centers because they have a low yield and couldn't be dug very deep until modern times. His question was about high density areas with little or no access to above-ground water sources, and the answer is you pretty much should move somewhere else. Almost every single city with more than 100,000 people is very close to a river, lake, ocean, sea, ect.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You can see the Nile in this map. There is a reason for that, because the surrounding area is inhospitable desert (no water), while the Nile is a river (good amount of water).

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Map showing the flag of the country that residents of each country pictured consider the biggest threat to world peace.

"In the course of the WIN/Gallup International's annual global End of Year survey, residents from different countries were asked which country they see as the greatest threat to peace in the world.

The corresponding question was: "Which country do you think is the greatest threat to peace in the world today?"

The national flags shown within the boundaries of surveyed nations refer to the country which was mentioned most frequently by the interviewees.

By a wide margin, the US are percieved as the greatest threat to universal peace. They are followed by Iran, Israel, Pakistan, and China."

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 31, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Looks about right yeah

Also, what flag does Italy have?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Italy appears to have Afghanistan

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Calling bullshit on the map. Pretty sure Ukraine has some other candidates that probably beat out the US.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

icantfindaname posted:

Looks about right yeah

Also, what flag does Italy have?

Afghanistan.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pook Good Mook posted:

Calling bullshit on the map. Pretty sure Ukraine has some other candidates that probably beat out the US.

Well to be fair it is last year's results: http://www.wingia.com/en/services/end_of_year_survey_2013/country_results/7/37/. This year's comes out in December.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pik_d posted:

Well to be fair it is last year's results: http://www.wingia.com/en/services/end_of_year_survey_2013/country_results/7/37/. This year's comes out in December.

Yeah, I'm guessing Russia is going to have a pretty big surge. And Syria/Israel.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Edit for content:

I have no idea what the percents are supposed to be.

I think we have a new leader for Most Useless Map!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing Russia is going to have a pretty big surge. And Syria/Israel.

And Poland's going to be all "I WARNED YOU ABOUT RUSSIA BRO! IT KEEPS HAPPENING!"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Who's that in Kenya?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Who's that in Kenya?

Somalia.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I wouldn't have been surprised if the US voted for the US there.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Shamelessly stolen from the D&D pics thread:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

If I ever moved to the us it would to the top right or the top left.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pakled posted:

The 2012 Election if only whites could vote:

Most of the map turns red, but swing state Iowa stays blue? Huh.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lycus posted:

Most of the map turns red, but swing state Iowa stays blue? Huh.

Because there's only white people in Iowa

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

Shamelessly stolen from the D&D pics thread:

Is Minas in white a reference to Pampulha in Belo Horizonte?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

TheImmigrant posted:

Is Minas in white a reference to Pampulha in Belo Horizonte?

Minas is in white because the author wants it to become a lake.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

bagual posted:

reads: New Cuba, Brazil, Implode and build a giant lake;

New Cuba are states where Dilma had the majority of votes, "Brazil" is majority Aecio, and the future giant artificial lake is Aecio's home state, where he served a term as governor, which had a Dilma majority and elected a PT governor this time around. Some political scientists say that the crushing defeat at his home state is one of the main reasons he lost and Dilma won, as it was a real tight vote with only a 3 million vote difference between candidates in a 110 million vote election. The tears are glorious.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
The tears are even sweeter because the Aecio campaign misused a national poll where he was 14 points ahead in Minas, his home state.

The actual result was Dilma victory by 4 points.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I just learned that apparently, Serbian, Bosnian, and Croatian are actually the same exact language, and all those Balkan nations saying that they're separate are just speaking right out of their rear end. It's kind of crazy, considering all of the ethnic tensions in the area, but it just goes to show how national identity and language have nothing to do with each other. And also how most nations don't mind re-writing history a bit to strength nationalism, but there isn't much you can do about that, can you? :v:

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 3, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

A language is a dialect with an army or some such.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I mean, are they really any closer than Danish and Norwegian?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I had a linguistics professor in college who said the grammar is basically identical. He equated the differences as about equal as those between a Rural Southern American vs a Northeastern City dialect of English.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Why hasn't "American" been recognized as an independent language yet? Obama needs to get on that.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Noah Webster tried. I think the deal was racists :circlefap:ing about the superiority of the Anglo-Saxon race over everyone else won out over nationalism.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

made of bees posted:

I mean, are they really any closer than Danish and Norwegian?

Serb/Croat/Bosniak are all mutually intelligible. Serbs use a modified Cyrillic alphabet, whereas Croats use a Latin script with diacritics. In the past couple of decades, they have begun to diverge intentionally, in the name of nationalism.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

VerdantSquire posted:

I just learned that apparently, Serbian, Bosnian, and Croatian are actually the same exact language, and all those Balkan nations saying that they're separate are just speaking right out of their rear end.
My understanding is that, while there are dialects within the area that might probably qualify as divergent enough from one another to be considered separate languages under some kind of objective mutual intelligibility criterion, the standards of all four national languages (Montenegrin is a language now!) are all based on Štokavian.

And yeah the dialect/language boundary thing can get pretty murky, hence the aphorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
If you guys are interested in this you can dig up my longer post on this topic from earlier in this thread. There's a couple hundred words worth of explanation about this exact same thing last time it came up.

E: Quoted them myself

SaltyJesus posted:

Yugo reporting for duty. :tito:

Serbo-Croatian is linguistically considered to be one pluricentric language with four standard forms (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, and Montenegrin). The difference between official Croatian and official Serbian is almost negligible, even little kids follow media in either "language" with perfect clarity. There is an apocryphal story that after the 90s crises, when the country split up it took a while for many foreign countries to realize they don't have to re-train diplomats in the local language after they move them to the neighboring country.

While official Serbian and Croatian are 100% mutually intelligible, with the exception of some region-specific words, because both are based on the Shtokavian dialect, there are other dialects within each country with much lower mutual intelligibility. A Shtokavian speaking Croat will perfectly understand his Serb friend but will follow a Chakavian or Kajkavian speaking Croat with some difficulty. A Shtokavian speaking Serb will likewise understand his Croat buddy but will have trouble following somebody from South-East Serbia. (where I'm from :)) The South Slavic languages are on a neat dialect continuum, going North-West to South-East you get to hear the spoken language gradually transition.

The dialects can also be divided according to which reflex of the proto-Slavic vowel "jat" they use. Thus there are Ekavian, Ijekavian and Ikavian dialects.

Beautiful: Lep (Ekavian), Lijep (Ijekavian), Lip (Ikavian)
Faith: Vera (Ekavian), Vjera (Ijekavian), Vira (Ikavian)

All this gets a lot more involved with migrations, border changes in the last century or so, linguistic enclaves, transitional dialects, attempts at assimilation etc.

Also Serbian is the only language in Europe to officially use two alphabets as far as I know, plus we have a print and cursive script for both Cyrillic and Latin so I had to learn four scripts in school.

E: If this is actually interesting to anybody I can do a long effortpost on South Slavic languages, this time with a ton of politically-loaded maps to boot.

SaltyJesus posted:

Linguistically it's considered the same language with four standard forms. However, the differences between the forms are smaller than between some dialects of English in UK alone. I wrote about this at length in previous posts.

The short version is this. There is more difference between dialects within the ex-Yu countries than between the official literary forms. The standard or literary forms of all four languages are based on the Shtokavian dialect. A Croat who speaks shtokavian will have zero difficulty understanding a Serb speaking shtokavian, but he might have trouble with strong chakavian or kajkavian dialects. Same in reverse goes for a Serb speaking shtokavian and one speaking the torlakian dialect. But all this is kind of moot because the chakavian/kajkavian/torlakian have all been in a decline and most people who speak them dilute them with shtokavian. Interestingly the Croatian minority in Romania called called Krashovani speak with the torlakian dialect. Bulgarians like to think torlakian is a transitional dialect of Bulgarian.

Within shtokavian there are subdivisions (I won't go into old shtokavian and new shtokavian) that are ekavian, (i)jekavian or ikavian. This is how most people recognize roughly where you're from, the difference is whether your (exact same) words use the i, e, je or ije sound. For example pretty could be "lepo", "lipo", "ljepo" or "lijepo".

Montenegrins tried to introduce two new letters for soft Š and soft Ž but a lot of teachers in Montenegro refused to teach it, I don't know what the situation is like now. These two letters were literally never a part of their written tradition, even when they had their own kingdom and everything. Several other regions in ex-Yu speak shtokavian with the softer š and ž but never felt the need to give them their own letter. It's language politics as usual.

TL;DR It's the same language.

SaltyJesus posted:

If we're citing Wikipedia then I'll cite the very-well sourced page on Serbo-Croatian. Go to the page to follow the sources if you wish.

Wiki posted:

The mutual intelligibility between their speakers "exceeds that between the standard variants of English, French, German, or Spanish".[67] Sean McLennan argues that the differences between the variants of Serbo-Croatian are less significant than those between the variants of English.[68] Heinz-Dieter Pohl maintains that the differences between the variants of Serbo-Croatian are less significant than those between the variants of German.[69] Bernhard Gröschel asserts that the differences between the variants of Serbo-Croatian are less significant than those between the Dutch and the Flemish variants of Dutch.[70] Gröschel argues that even linguistic differences between Whites and Blacks in the USA major cities exceed those between the standard variants of Serbo-Croatian.[70] Daniel Blum maintains that the distinctions between the variants of Serbo-Croatian are less significant than those between the Hindi and the Urdu variants of Hindustani.[71]
:laffo:

There's more gold on that page like:

Wiki posted:

• Standard Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, and Montenegrin are completely mutually intelligible.[89][90] In addition, they use two alphabets that perfectly match each other (Latin and Cyrillic), thanks to Ljudevit Gaj and Vuk Karadžić.
  • The list of 100 words of the basic Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, and Montenegrin vocabulary, as set out by Morris Swadesh, shows that all 100 words are identical.[91] According to Swadesh, 81 per cent are sufficient to be considered as a single language.[92]
  • Typologically and structurally, these standard variants have virtually the same grammar, i.e. morphology and syntax.[93][94]
And that's coming from the Croatian side of the debate. The "different languages" angle hinges entirely on the argument that they were kinda-sorta never called the same thing historically.

Maps
Where Shtokavian is spoken as the main dialect (Note: in Kosovo/Romania/Hungary it doesn't mean it's the main language spoken, just that those who do speak it speak shtokavian.) The Adriatic islands and north-western Croatia speak Kajkavian and Chakavian which are transitional towards Slovenian.

Ethno-political division of the language as of 2006

Dialect distribution prior to 16th century migrations

Torlakian (my dialect, transitional towards Bulgarian and Macedonian)

The maps overstate the extent of Torlakian in Serbia and Kajkavian/Chakavian in Croatia. You can think of them as "furthest reach of influence" but it'd be like claiming the whole Republic of Ireland as the Irish Gaelic speaking area.

And with that I think I will stop Balkansposting for a while.

Again, it's kinda hard to overemphasize how similar they are. You'll likely find more dialectical difference between any two random villages in Spain, Italy, Germany, England, or even the US than between literary Serbian and Croatian.

If you still have questions I'll answer. I'm sure posters my dad (also Serbian), mcustic and disco infiva (both Croatian) will contribute as well.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 3, 2014