Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

That's actually kinda sad. I mean I know it's cost prohibitive to line the canal walls with ladders or recesses but loving hell that has got to be terrible to drown with what looks like just slightly more than arm's reach of salvation.

There are ladders every so often, and even without that it's not like that edge is too high to reach. Also, those canals aren't usually very deep. You need to try hard to drown in there, or be very drunk.

A larger problem is the fact that people throw bike wrecks in there, which means the bottom is lined with sharp pieces of metal. The water isn't very clean either, so I suggest immediately getting a tetanus and rabies shot if you fall into a Dutch city canal and get a cut from a piece of metal.

But, as a guess, canals aren't actually where most people drown. It's natural pools near camping spots and the like that are commonly used for swimming. These have no life guards at all and a few meters from the edge, the bottom tends to drop to a great depth suddenly. Those are relatively dangerous to swim in if you don't know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah those 'natural' pools which used to be gravel pits have hella cold water welling up which will give you nasty cramps in a nanosecond. People paddle in on a surfboard, take a leap when reaching the middle of the pond, and come up again about a week later.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I guess I always thought of it as an extension of the recession. I didn't even know individual states could have credit ratings.

Guavanaut posted:

How do they tell the difference between a religion and a philosophy?

From what I understand, they didn't bother. You just told them you had a religious objection, filled out some paperwork, and you were done. It's gone on for far, far too long, but since California is ground zero for this kind of hippy bullshit, hopefully it will spread.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Carbon dioxide posted:

But, as a guess, canals aren't actually where most people drown. It's natural pools near camping spots and the like that are commonly used for swimming. These have no life guards at all and a few meters from the edge, the bottom tends to drop to a great depth suddenly. Those are relatively dangerous to swim in if you don't know what you're doing.

Koesj posted:

Yeah those 'natural' pools which used to be gravel pits have hella cold water welling up which will give you nasty cramps in a nanosecond. People paddle in on a surfboard, take a leap when reaching the middle of the pond, and come up again about a week later.

Don't forget the evening news regularly running items on people drowning in the many rivers in the Netherlands after underestimating just how dangerous those are.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Guavanaut posted:

We have these along canals and waterways where people are likely to walk:

I get that they might be a bit gauche for Amsterdam, but they're better than drowning (and I thought the Dutch liked orange).

e:

It's the 'universal power' where things get weird though, like with Taoism, which considers itself both a religion and philosophy, and would get confused about the deity requirement. Or UU.

I'm pretty sure I've seen these in at least one location in Utrecht and probably near the tour boat docks in Amsterdam

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Koesj posted:

Any articles on these? That sounds interesting

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

Any articles on these? That sounds interesting

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/18851864/experts-say-quarries-more-dangerous-than-other-bodies-of-water

Basically you can search any local news source from a place with a flooded quarry and you'll find a steady stream of drowning reports.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In the Netherlands it's typically illegal to swim in them, but everyone does it anyway. Quite a few high-school kids drown that way, even though Dutch people learn how to swim quite well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Entropist posted:

Quite a few high-school kids drown that way, even though Dutch people learn how to swim quite well.
Natural selection?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

the jizz taxi posted:

I own the Onion's atlas, and I recall the entry for Bangladesh was dubbed "God's practical joke".

I can recommend the atlas to this thread. Most entries are pretty funny and some are edgy in the proper (non-GBS/shitlord/reddit) sense. My favourite one is a map of the DR Congo with numerous arrows indicating some stuff, including "This gorilla has seen enough".

I have it too and it's really good, you polmap nerds would get a kick out of it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kavak posted:

What happened to gently caress up the credit rating so bad in the first place?

Lycus mentioned the 2008-2012 budget crisis, which caused the most recent dip to BBB, but California's credit rating hasn't even been this good since the late 1990s, before the dot-com boom led to a similar budget crisis.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Entropist posted:

In the Netherlands it's typically illegal to swim in them, but everyone does it anyway. Quite a few high-school kids drown that way, even though Dutch people learn how to swim quite well.

When I was a kid they used to make us watch this video about Dark and Lonely Water to dissuade us from swimming in those places.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Basically because prop 13 has limited the property tax base, California's revenue is unusually volatile. A much bigger share of revenue comes from income and capital gains taxes than most states, so in a recession the state's revenue takes a big hit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also on top of the Prop 13 issue, before they cleaned up the districts to be fair and which resulted in a democratic supermajority, other idiotic propositions had made it so a ton of things like raising taxes needed supermajorities to pass and so the Republicans could just obstruct poo poo whenever. So also not very good for the state's financial health.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Reveilled posted:

When I was a kid they used to make us watch this video about Dark and Lonely Water to dissuade us from swimming in those places.

"Sensible children, I have no power over them"

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Fantastic.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

In most areas everything flows organically, and then there's the US-Mexican and Russian borders and Namibia.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why is part of Namibia developed and part developing?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Why does Japan have "boreal systems of the western world?"

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Honorary boreal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Western Imperialism. Each tree is a US military base.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hadaka Apron posted:

Why does Japan have "boreal systems of the western world?"
Because only Russia doesn't get to be part of the western world. Seriously, just look at the border between Finland and Russia.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

Because only Russia doesn't get to be part of the western world. Seriously, just look at the border between Finland and Russia.

Yeah, I was actually going to ask about that, how does the boreal system of for example, Lappeenranta region, differ from the area around Viborg? They are about 40 km apart, except that there is a border crossing between them.

I could understand if, for example, the Karelian lakes would cause the boreal system to go from one to another.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Russian invasion in Georgia isn't a terrible joke.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

New York is 100% accurate

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

majormonotone posted:

New York is 100% accurate

I like Florida myself. Although I am also a fan of Pennsylvania's.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Can confirm Vermont, not so sure about New Hampshire, it probably more likely to be meth related then pot. As for Massachusetts they wish, it would justify all the fuss they make whenever a new one gos up.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

It's true, no one dies in Indiana. Just a horrible existence forever.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
My question is, which of those is the most metal way to die? I'll go with antimatter. Biggest boom for your buck.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I like Florida myself. Although I am also a fan of Pennsylvania's.
Florida one seems the most accurate. Not sure that THEY are covering that up though, when you look at every headline that begins with 'Florida Man...'

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

wdarkk posted:

My question is, which of those is the most metal way to die? I'll go with antimatter. Biggest boom for your buck.

Electrocution.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TheImmigrant posted:

Electrocution.
:black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YYZcpMk8qo:black101:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Looks to me like Texas is the best state.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

First map of the United States drawn and printed within the United States. It's creator, Abel Buell, was a known counterfeiter and copier. The map has literally no new cartographic information in it and is based on maps produced in Europe around the time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dublish posted:

Looks to me like Texas is the best state.

Dakotas are pretty cool too.

And Iowa. :lol:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

First map of the United States drawn and printed within the United States. It's creator, Abel Buell, was a known counterfeiter and copier. The map has literally no new cartographic information in it and is based on maps produced in Europe around the time.
Reminds me of eagle a bit.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just proves my point that Wisconsin is a lovely state.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Economist is starting a sort of "what if" series, and they have a break-up of Russia as a scenario:

http://worldif.economist.com/article/2/what-if-russia-breaks-up-the-peril-beyond-putin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I mean if the Kuril Islands tried to separate from Russia then Japan would just take them