Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Whorelord posted:

anyone whose actually seen/heard welsh knows that the welsh deserve to be beaten up
WELSHIIIIIIIIIE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Guavanaut posted:

The UK does not have any official language. Individual provinces may recognize official languages, but the deep seated aversion of the Briton to putting anything concrete in writing leaves the country as a whole with only a de facto language. The same was true for the flag except aboard ship until just under 100 years ago.

Certainly not any good ones, you can tell because Australia.

"Provinces" :rolleyes:

Dutch Engineer
Aug 7, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the Netherlands, in The Hague I believe, there's an exclave of The Hague to the east that kinda is directly connected, some canal between the two parts also belongs to the city of The Hague.

North and South of that canal are two different, separate municipalities. There's a bridge across the canal connecting the two municipalities.

I tried looking it up once, but I couldn't find anywhere which of the three municipalities/cities is responsible for the upkeep of the bridge.

None of them are. The province of Zuid-Holland is responsible for the upkeep of the Geestbrug.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

must be all that French occupation

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Norway should annex Saarland.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Dutch Engineer posted:

None of them are. The province of Zuid-Holland is responsible for the upkeep of the Geestbrug.

I would like to point out that the canal is not under the jurisdiction of any municipality, but under the Water Board of Delfland.

The water boards are a completely parallel set of administrative entities that deal with water, and are broken up into different areas that don't exactly match up with the provinces. They have their own elections and in these elections they have their own special water-based political parties. Last year I voted for the Party for The Water Animals. I speak for the ducks.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

What's the typical turnout in the Dutch water board elections? I feel it'll either be as low as I expect (less than 30%, like EP elections) or something crazy like over 80%.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Last one was 43.5%. Some water boards let you vote by post, or online, so that keeps the level up I guess.

Here is the wikipedia link about the strange institution of Dutch Water Boards in case anyone is curious.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

twoday posted:

Last one was 43.5%. Some water boards let you vote by post, or online, so that keeps the level up I guess.

Here is the wikipedia link about the strange institution of Dutch Water Boards in case anyone is curious.

That's a way higher percentage than I expected. I thought it was around 5% because in most places the water board elections are barely advertised and the only way to vote is by sending a letter to the election office.

Also Water Board 24 (on that map, it seems two others merged since the map was made so it's 23 now), Blija Buitendijks, is a special one. The water boards used to be way smaller and a lot of them merged to get the current list. But the people running Blija Buitendijks didn't agree with the wishes of Water Board Fryslân so they refused to merge.

The thing is, Blija Buitendijks is a small nature reserve area beyond the Wadden Sea dike, that floods at high tide. Its population is zero. So as far as I can tell, because there's no population, these board members elect themselves. Their main meeting hall seems to be a farm shed in the nearby village.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 30, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

duckmaster posted:

"Provinces" :rolleyes:
What's your preferred word for subdivisions of a sovereign state that often lack significant legislative autonomy?

Prefectures? Oblasts?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guavanaut posted:

What's your preferred word for subdivisions of a sovereign state that often lack significant legislative autonomy?

Prefectures? Oblasts?

For the UK the preferred term is county.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Counties aren't allowed to define official languages. Wales is able to do so, and is made of multiple counties, but lacks the legislative autonomy to really be called a state or country. Principality is a good one if you want to annoy people from there, but that isn't always the best metric for accuracy.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guavanaut posted:

Counties aren't allowed to define official languages. Wales is able to do so, and is made of multiple counties, but lacks the legislative autonomy to really be called a state or country. Principality is a good one if you want to annoy people from there, but that isn't always the best metric for accuracy.

But Wales does have significant autonomy compared to the rest of Britain that have also had its native languages beaten out.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Rumda posted:

But Wales does have significant autonomy compared to the rest of Britain that have also had its native languages beaten out.

they have less than scotland and probably a bit less than northern ireland, but welsh is weirdly the most widely spoken gaelic language in the uk

more than cornwall though but if you want to make an argument about cornwall being a country/deserving of any special rights i'm going to laugh at you

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Whorelord posted:

they have less than scotland and probably a bit less than northern ireland, but welsh is weirdly the most widely spoken gaelic language in the uk

Brythonic not Gaelic, it's because Scots Gaelic is a fake national language and was never spoken throughout Scotland and besides is a foreign a language as English is.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 30, 2016

twoday
May 4, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's a way higher percentage than I expected. I thought it was around 5% because in most places the water board elections are barely advertised and the only way to vote is by sending a letter to the election office.

Also Water Board 24 (on that map, it seems two others merged since the map was made so it's 23 now), Blija Buitendijks, is a special one. The water boards used to be way smaller and a lot of them merged to get the current list. But the people running Blija Buitendijks didn't agree with the wishes of Water Board Fryslân so they refused to merge.

The thing is, Blija Buitendijks is a small nature reserve area beyond the Wadden Sea dike, that floods at high tide. Its population is zero. So as far as I can tell, because there's no population, these board members elect themselves. Their main meeting hall seems to be a farm shed in the nearby village.

Let's show up at the next election and orchestrate a coup, I would like to be a watergraaf

Dutch Engineer
Aug 7, 2010

twoday posted:

I would like to point out that the canal is not under the jurisdiction of any municipality, but under the Water Board of Delfland.

The water boards are a completely parallel set of administrative entities that deal with water, and are broken up into different areas that don't exactly match up with the provinces. They have their own elections and in these elections they have their own special water-based political parties. Last year I voted for the Party for The Water Animals. I speak for the ducks.

Strictly speaking, jurisdiction of the canal (and for that matter, nearly all the canals in the Hague) is shared between Delfland and the municipality, depending on the issue at hand. The water board has jurisdiction over the water, and the municipality has jurisdiction over the ground and quay walls. For example, if you want to build a large pier or temporary structure in the water, you will need a permit from both the water board and the municipality.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guavanaut posted:

Prefectures? Oblasts?

The one that each country actually uses? In the case of the UK it's Country. And all the Countries except England have their own parliaments, so they don't lack significant legislative autonomy in the first place either.

Just like it would be really weird to talk about the provinces of (modern) Germany or the oblasts of Mexico or the states of Canada.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're not real countries though, so that's just confusing.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guavanaut posted:

They're not real countries though, so that's just confusing.

Country is not a synonym of Independent Nation-state

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nor is nation a synonym of nation-state :argh:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Autonomous Community of Wales

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rumda posted:

Country is not a synonym of Independent Nation-state
Historically you're right, it just means 'a bunch of land' like "I'm spending a weekend in the country," but nowadays when used without qualification the term implies sovereignty, in the same way that 'state' unqualified usually means 'top level subdivision of a federal country, especially with more legislative power than a province or territory' and not 'a sovereign nation-state'.

alnilam posted:

Nor is nation a synonym of nation-state :argh:
The UK can just call them nations then, like the rugby already does. Everyone's happy (except the United Nations :v:).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Guavanaut posted:

Historically you're right, it just means 'a bunch of land' like "I'm spending a weekend in the country," but nowadays when used without qualification the term implies sovereignty, in the same way that 'state' unqualified usually means 'top level subdivision of a federal country, especially with more legislative power than a province or territory' and not 'a sovereign nation-state'.

This seems wildly arbitrary and largely untrue.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To be fair though, talking about the Countries of UK you always have to go "...and Northern Ireland". Which just goes to tell how stupid Northern Ireland is :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

To be fair though, talking about the Countries of UK you always have to go "...and Northern Ireland". Which just goes to tell how stupid Northern Ireland is :colbert:

Nah, it is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island" because Great Britain is basically the island containing England, Scotland and Wales. When you use Great Britain, you need to add Northern Ireland, when you use the UK, you don't.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guavanaut posted:

The UK can just call them nations then, like the rugby already does. Everyone's happy (except the United Nations :v:).

That's not true at all.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Dutch Engineer posted:

Strictly speaking, jurisdiction of the canal (and for that matter, nearly all the canals in the Hague) is shared between Delfland and the municipality, depending on the issue at hand. The water board has jurisdiction over the water, and the municipality has jurisdiction over the ground and quay walls. For example, if you want to build a large pier or temporary structure in the water, you will need a permit from both the water board and the municipality.

Good username/post combo.

This sparked my curiosity and I looked into the legislation in New Amsterdam regarding the maintainable of the canals there.

It doesn't seem that any water board was ever established, but at some point Governor Stuyvesant issued an edict saying that maintainable of the canal walls was a responsibility of whoever owned the house adjacent to the canal. So if your house was on the water you had to build the quay wall. And he also issued an edict ordered people to upgrade it at some point. I'm wondering how this looked in reality, if they just built the whole thing at once and charged the owners for the cost, or if people would have built their own sections piecemeal. Is that even possible, from a technical point of view? I assume they would have had to dam off the whole thing and drain it to build the walls. But I like the idea that at some point it resembled poorly planned American suburbs today, where you see part of a sidewalk in front of one house that abruptly stops at the property line of the next house, where the owner has neglected this responsibility.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cheerfullydrab posted:

That's not true at all.
How would you define country then? Because 'top level administrative subdivision of a sovereign state' is not the first thing that would come into my head when someone said it.

(Grey countries use weird names like Republic, Länder, Popularate, or Country for their top level subdivisions.)

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

How would you define country then? Because 'top level administrative subdivision of a sovereign state' is not the first thing that would come into my head when someone said it.

(Grey countries use weird names like Republic, Länder, Popularate, or Country for their top level subdivisions.)

Why are some countries brown when there is no brown in the key?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Countries where there is only one recognized 'state'?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't think "top level administrative subdivision" is a particularly helpful concept for a lot of countries actually.

As for the semantics, here's Wiktionary:

country ‎(plural countries)

(archaic) An area of land; a district, region. [from 13th c.]  [quotations ▼]
A set region of land having particular human occupation or agreed limits, especially inhabited by members of the same race, language speakers etc., or associated with a given person, occupation, species etc. [from 13th c.]  [quotations ▼]
The territory of a nation, especially an independent nation state or formerly independent nation; a political entity asserting ultimate authority over a geographical area. [from 14th c.]  [quotations ▼]
(usually preceded by “the”) A rural area, as opposed to a town or city; the countryside. [from 16th c.]  [quotations ▼]
Country music. [from 20th c.]
(mining) The rock through which a vein runs.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Jaramin posted:

Countries where there is only one recognized 'state'?

I checked Portugal. It has municipalities.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kopijeger posted:

That should be 'district' and I don't know why it isn't in the key.

There's a ton of smaller ones like parish or prefecture or zone that are only used by a handful of countries as the top level administrative subdivision, but you can really cover most of them with 'province', 'state', or some derivative thereof. I will even take Popularate over Country for a subdivision.

Ras Het posted:

I don't think "top level administrative subdivision" is a particularly helpful concept for a lot of countries actually.

As for the semantics, here's Wiktionary:
Language should do its best to reflect descriptively how people talk, and a bwca loses its helmet and dies every time someone says "Do I need a passport to go to Wales? But it's a different country."

I will concede that by your definitions provided, South Wales is coal and iron country though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Language should do its best to reflect descriptively how people talk, and a bwca loses its helmet and dies every time someone says "Do I need a passport to go to Wales? But it's a different country."

What

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Exactly. The popular definition of country is 'sovereign state', not 'top level administrative subdivision of a sovereign state'. When people say "I'm going to a different country" there are certain things that one associates with it, that, I dunno, saying "I'm out of state" or "I'm in a different province" does not.

This is almost universal across the Anglosphere except in the place that invented the Anglosphere which has, once again, decided to be difficult.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Northern Ireland is a province, though. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Technically Ulster is the province, one of the Four Provinces of Ireland, that just happens to be almost but definitely not exactly the same as Northern Ireland. :can::can::can:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Sick harp, Leinster

NOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

twoday posted:

Good username/post combo.

This sparked my curiosity and I looked into the legislation in New Amsterdam regarding the maintainable of the canals there.

It doesn't seem that any water board was ever established, but at some point Governor Stuyvesant issued an edict saying that maintainable of the canal walls was a responsibility of whoever owned the house adjacent to the canal. So if your house was on the water you had to build the quay wall. And he also issued an edict ordered people to upgrade it at some point. I'm wondering how this looked in reality, if they just built the whole thing at once and charged the owners for the cost, or if people would have built their own sections piecemeal. Is that even possible, from a technical point of view? I assume they would have had to dam off the whole thing and drain it to build the walls. But I like the idea that at some point it resembled poorly planned American suburbs today, where you see part of a sidewalk in front of one house that abruptly stops at the property line of the next house, where the owner has neglected this responsibility.

New Amsterdam was loving tiny before the British seized it for good and then Americans kept it forever. So I imagine it just never became an issue. Much of the other Dutch settlements in modern day America also wouldn't need a water board sort of entity due to small size or simply being on dry enough land that actively managing the natural waterways wasn't a big deal or necessary at all.

This is a copy/redraw of the famous map of New Amsterdam in 1660:

The city and effectively all of the Dutch settlement in North America was captured in 1664 and never in Dutch hands again except for a brief period in 1673-1674. So that's about as far as it has to be managed. You can see all 2 of the "proper" canals left in the main settlement (there used to be another n a previous decade, but it got filled in. There were also some minor ones built further up the island and in random other settlements, but it certainly wasn't the sort of life-or-death situation canal/waterway maintenance is in the Netherlands proper.

For perspective, if you look at a modern map, the street with a wall on the right hand side of this map is today's Wall Street. The location of the fort is approximately the location of the Bowling Green now. And also the shoreline has been majorly filled in on all sides from the more or less natural state it was in in 1660.

Guavanaut posted:

There's a ton of smaller ones like parish or prefecture or zone that are only used by a handful of countries as the top level administrative subdivision, but you can really cover most of them with 'province', 'state', or some derivative thereof. I will even take Popularate over Country for a subdivision.

The reason why the major subdivision of the UK has a weird name, is because it's a weird system. They don't even have equal powers under the law or anything.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 30, 2016