Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's not politically-motivated per se, but it's certainly got its own bias to it:

It still boggles my mind whenever I see a global map that isn't centered on England (Greenwich?)

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm glad they decided to build the arms factory in one of the least defensible areas in the town.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

withak posted:

I think the problem is that usually the term is used to discuss the development of civilizations. These maps are more of a interesting correlation between favorable geology and agriculture conducive to slavery, and then a correlation between past slavery and present political opinion.
How is what that not a part of the "development of civilizations"?

quote:

The people voting democrat didn't just happen to set up a civilization there thousands of years ago and are currently dealing with the consequences; they were forcibly dragged there in the relatively recent past.
Yeah but they were forcibly dragged there in particular because of geological conditions that were created over millions of years. They weren't dragged to the middle of the arid Mojave desert, for example, or New England with its short growing season.

Regardless of the merits of environmental determinism, that map/article is a good example of how geological conditions can shape human history in subtle ways.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 13, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Sleep of Bronze posted:

'Land of Strangers', 'Bright Helmet's Farm' ... and 'Newcastle', 'Blackpool', 'Oxford'. Sometimes we just mean what we say. Oxford City Council also has a particularly literalist bent in its logo:

I want to come from a land so boring it's named after that time an ox crossed a river.
Instead I'm from a city named after a town founded by some rear end in a top hat named Brand.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Protestantism possibly causes a lifestyle outlook that leads to diabetes. It's not impossible when you frame it logically. Considering the type of people who got kicked out of Europe and forced to flee to the Americas, religion probably is important when considering some of the ills of American history. Puritans, for example, were unforgivable scum and their legacy is still felt today.
I think the proper way to read that image is "Look how badly the slavers and the Confederacy hosed up the South for everyone (but especially black people)".
Alternately, "poverty_sucks.jpg"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I wish billowing silk robes and bowls of coral were still in fashion.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Lord Tywin posted:

Here's a 16th century map of the Nordic countries

Full resolution http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Carta_Marina.jpeg
Why does it say 'Chaos' over parts of Iceland?

e: \/
That's cool as heck. :cool:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Now I want to make a movie about an overworked code monkey who inadvertently starts a nuclear war between India and Pakistan because of his sloppy coding on the Windows 95 timezone feature, played by Paul Giamatti.