Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Mercator Projection's Eurocentrism and Americentrism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

General Panic posted:

I presume it's someone (most likely American) wanting to do for the Middle East what Woodrow Wilson wanted to do for Europe after 1918.

Because ethnic nationalism has been such a striking success over here...
What was Woodrow Wilson's border plans for post-1918 Europe? I'd like to see.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall the British ever invading the Philippines, either.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lonelywurm posted:

They occupied Manila and Cavite for two years during The Seven Years' War, when it was a Spanish colonial possession.

Well shoot, learn something new everyday. Thanks! :tipshat:

Content:

The Sultan of Sulu signed an agreement with a British commercial syndicate back in Jan 1878 regarding Northern Borneo. The British interpreted the agreement as a cessation of Northern Borneo, while the Sultan of Sulu understood it to mean a lease-in-perpetuity.

Every year, the Malaysian Embassy cuts a check for 5,300.00 Ringgit to the heirs of the Sultan of Sulu, as the payable amount stipulated in the agreement, which Malaysia assumed the responsibility for after the formation of that nation-state. Malaysia follows the British interpretation that the amount is a "cession" payment, while the Sultan's descendants still consider it as rent.

The Philippines still maintains a claim to the area via its ties to the Sultanate of Sulu, while Malaysia disputes the validity of the claim due to the lack of desire from the people actually in Northern Borneo to fall under the sovereignty of the Philippines or the Sulu Sultanate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Also wouldn't you be able to see the Earth curving up if you're in like, Panama for example?

What gets me is that it already concedes that the world is curved, without conceding that if the world were curved all the way around, it would be spherical.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

So the plan was;

1) Amass armies on northern French coastline
2) ???
3) End English naval supremacy
4) Conquer southern England

I'm noticing a lot of these plans have steps that go "???, End X Naval supremacy, Conquer part of nation most heavily defended".

http://www.philm.demon.co.uk/Miscellaneous/Sealion.htm

This is pretty much my go-to link every time Sealion gets brought up. Even if every ship in the Royal Navy was suddenly deleted overnight, the RAF could still have stopped an invasion. Even if the RAF was suddenly deleted overnight, the RN could still have stopped an invasion. Even if both of them just poofed into thin air, the German plans were such a clusterfuck that the whole thing probably still would have failed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about the axis is basically how japan refused to change tactics to counter the submarine threat and really the lack of change in Japanese tactics overall until it was basically too late. :psyduck:
Edit: I just looked up the submarine war and it looks like japan even refused to do basically any commerce raiding at all or intercept the massive lifeline to the soviet union that the us had set up. :psyboom:

The Japanese were never going to intercept Vladivostok-bound US convoys even after Dec 7 because they already got their asses kicked by Zhukov himself in 1939 at the Battle of Khalkin Gol.

But yes, telling your submarine commanders to basically ignore merchant shipping and concentrate on sinking warships when your side possesses arguably the best torpedo in the world was a huge missed opportunity.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

Horses produce very high levels of background radiation. This is why human life expectancy went up after the invention of the automobile.

This is a fascinating piece of trivia. Do you have any sources? I'd love to read up more, such as numbers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Spain has an unemployment rate of 55.5% ?! :psyduck: I knew it was bad, but I never thought it was that bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

John Nance Garner posted:

And the 10th ballot, after shifts, which officially nominated one Warren Gamaliel Harding, for President:

From a couple of pages back, but why is the Philippines in there? Was it part of the political process while it was a colony/Commonwealth?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dusseldorf posted:

That wasn't much of a battle but more of the Germans got spotted by a vastly superior force then hunted down and killed.

That was seriously the most anti-climactic thing that could have happened to von Spee. I was practically rooting for him after following his journey across the Pacific.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

This projection makes the line that goes over the North look really weird and stretched. I wonder what happened to those ducks. Did they get stuck in ice for the winter?

The line would be much more of a natural curve if we were viewing it from a polar projection. Alternatively, the path could disappeared "up" through the northern edge of the map near the Bering Strait and just "reappear" near Greenland.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chairface posted:

It was strategically useful in WWII. A lot of lend-lease gear was sent through Alaska and then Siberia to the USSR from the USA. There's sadly not an accompanying map but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_convoys_of_World_War_II

IIRC Soviet-flagged ships would carry lend-lease cargo from Alaska to Vladivostok, right through the heart of the Japanese Empire and the IJN wouldn't touch them over fear of drawing the Soviets into the conflict.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I figured this would be a good place to ask: Is National Geographic still a good magazine? I fondly remember my grandpa signing me up for them year after year and I thought it'd be nice to get maps again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

duckmaster posted:

I suspect that for some of the countries on that map the number of "days of annual leave" includes public holidays where you're either told you're not working or can take that day off later in the week if you do work it.

In the UK there's nothing stopping me (except my employers objections) saving up my full 28 days and taking almost 6 weeks off. I somehow doubt that's how it works everywhere though.

Philippines: I earn 15 days of vacation leave a year, plus sick leave, plus 17 government-mandated holidays. Since I do IT for a call center I'm often asked to work during holidays, but they give me back a day that I can take off from work within 3 months of the holiday that they're compensating me for. And I can take all those leaves in one sitting if I wanted to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't Lincoln outright make his cabinet swear that they'd carry on the war even in the event of an electoral defeat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

XMNN posted:

That's actually the divergence point of my Hitler/Göring alt-history slashfiction.

#lovewins if they were here now