Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
This is a Korean map from 1402. That's Europe, Africa and Arabia on the left, Korea on the right, and Japan way down on the bottom right (rotated 90 degrees for some reason)

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

The Moon Monster posted:

Is India on there anywhere? I can't tell if that big island is Sri Lanka or Hainan.

Nope, that's Hainan.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahala_Khagrabari

quote:

Dahala Khagrabari #51 is an Indian enclave belonging to the District of Cooch Behar in the State of West Bengal.

It is one of the smaller (7000 m2, about the size of a football field) of the Indo-Bangladesh enclaves that comprise the 106 Indian exclaves inside Bangladesh and 92 Bangladeshi exclaves inside India. However, it is the only third-order enclave in the world.

Dahala Khagrabari #51 is completely encircled by the Bangladeshi village of Upanchowki Bhajni, 110, which is contained in the Indian village of Balapara Khagrabari, itself contained in the Rajshahi Division, Bangladesh. Thus Dahala Khagrabari is the enclave of an enclave of an enclave. In practice, it is a parcel of land used for farming and is not actually inhabited. It is separated by only a few meters of Bangladeshi land from its first-order Indian enclave.
Dahala Khagrabari, the only third-order enclave in the world (Maps)

Curiously, the owner of this enclave is a Bangladeshi farmer who lives in the enclave surrounding Dahala Khagrabari #51.[1]

Despite its small size, Dahala Khagrabari #51 is not the smallest of the enclaves found on the Indo-Bangladesh border, the smallest being Panisala #79, an Indian enclave of 0.109 hectares in the Rangpur Division of Bangladesh.[2]

Due to the lack of governance and deplorable conditions for the residents of the enclaves, a long-festering problem, in September 2011, the governments of India and Bangladesh announced an intention to resolve the issue by means of swapping 162 enclaves, giving residents a choice of nationality.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

QuoProQuid posted:

The terrifying world of 2053.

I just want to point out that the capital of the Greater United States appears to be Kingston and Bangladesh appears to have sunk beneath the waves.

Is Antarctica Irish or something?

EDIT:

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 3, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
This is part of the cover of an official EU publication. How the hell did this happen?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

General Panic posted:

I presume it's someone (most likely American) wanting to do for the Middle East what Woodrow Wilson wanted to do for Europe after 1918.

Because ethnic nationalism has been such a striking success over here...

I looked Ralph Peters up, and apparently he's an op-ed columnist for the New York Post.

Also, guess what "Arab Sunni State" has as its initials.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Anyone have the map where different provinces were polled on whether they wanted to join the US or not? IIRC, Quebec of all provinces was the most open to it (although it only have 33% approval or something).

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm really surprised at how popular the Steelers are in the Carolinas, it's not like there's no local team.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Trivia posted:

This thread was pretty interesting until you nerds started with the trainchat.

I know this is really pedantic, but that map doesn't label the Republic of Ireland as being separate from the UK.

Another flag with a map on it:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

PBJ posted:

Technically, all of the Eastern US is under German control, being a fascist puppet and all.

Map of world religions.

Why isn't there a Star of David in Florida?

EDIT: Also, what are those swaths of Catholicism in the western US? I thought that was Mormon country.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 18, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

alcyon posted:

Leopold Kohr's vision for a utopian Europe

So Ireland is united, Scotland is independent, but Wales is still attached to England?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
A map showing penetration of West German TV signals into East Germany.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

twoot posted:

I'd assume because NI doesn't conform to the Labour/Conservative/Liberal split which occurs on the mainland. It has lots of its own smaller parties.

Yeah, the three major parties don't run candidates at all there.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Dusseldorf posted:

Did off the shelf East German TVs pick up West German broadcasts?

Edit: Besides Radio Free Europe type broadcasts specifically for Eastern audiences.

The DDR didn't officially ban its citizens from watching West German TV until 1973, but even then, they didn't enforce it that much. Compare that to North Korea, where TVs and radios have their dials fixed so they can only receive the government stations.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Similarly:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

ThePutty posted:

I found this on google image search, looking for more of those Absolut ads.

Dear god I hope this is satire

I like how Puerto Rico isn't part of the US.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The US also has some in Hawaii.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
That time zone map is out of date- Venezuela switched to GMT -4:30 a few years ago.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Western Sahara was a Spanish colony, so that's probably why it's associated with Spain.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Dr. Tough posted:

I like that Oregon is more popular than Stanford, USC, or UCLA in California. Also that the colors are really hard to tell apart.

Yeah, I can't tell if UCLA or Florida is popular in the Northeast and Appalachia.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
That Onion Map reminds me of this map from America: The Book. Can you see what's wrong with it that has nothing to do with the joke?

Albania was never part of Yugoslavia

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Support for secession in the 1991 referendum in Ukraine:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Bloodnose posted:

Israel's on the chart but doesn't appear to have anything going to or from it?

Those dots outside the circle seem to indicate that people immigrate there from Russia, the Ukraine and US, and Israelis emigrate to one of the European countries that I can't quite make out.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Elyv posted:

How are these districts divided? Do they each have similar population, or is it similar to American states?

The GRCs (Group Representation Constituencies) have four to six seats elected on the same slate, while the SMCs (Single Member Constituencies) have one seat each. The final tally of seats was People's Action Party 81, Worker's Party 6; this was the most seats that the opposition has ever held.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Peanut President posted:

Tanjong Pagar isn't allowed to vote apparently.

It was a walkover, the Peoples' Action Party was the only party on the ballot there.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What's the second group listed under "Mohammedans"? I can't read it even at full resolution.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I remember the South Korean government buying full-page ads in the New York Times after one of their articles referred to the "Sea of Japan" and complaining about it.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Farecoal posted:

No, here's a desktop-only browser map for Feb-2014 through April 2014 from StatCounter:

What sticks out to me the most about this map is that it has all the Kurile islands as being Japanese, even the ones that Japan doesn't claim.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 22, 2014

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
And Japan is all one island.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

V for Vegas posted:

Here's a WW1 propaganda map for China

Poor Germany just gets a sausage around Shandong.

I liked how they were trying to draw an English Bulldog and drew a pug instead.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

computer parts posted:

Pugs are apparently Chinese dogs although I've never seen China portrayed as one before (I guess pandas were new and dragons sort of went against the point).

Pugs were in Europe so long that they were bred much differently than the original Chinese pugs- check out these pictures of 18th and early 19th-century pugs that look barely anything like the modern breed. Also, note how that pug is wearing a monocle and sitting right on Hong Kong- I'm pretty sure it's supposed to represent Britain.

(As you can guess from my avatar, I really love pugs)

Semi-related:

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 29, 2014

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Old James posted:

I can't tell what area is covered by Fenchurch St. Also, what is the third shade of blue covering Cornwall?

An extremely small strip right to the east of London, it's a little tough to see since it's just below the yellow area.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Oregon has a boring state seal flag, but I cut it a break since it's one of the few flags where the sides are different.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I successfully guessed Newfoundland solely because it looked like the dreariest place I had ever seen.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It can't be wine, Australia's wine industry is based on the west coast, and I don't think that New Zealand would make so much.

EDIT: Wait, maybe it is- I was going on the assumption that most of the wine there would be made on the west coast because that's the only part of the country with a Mediterranean climate.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 23, 2014

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Yeah, and I think that South Africa would have been at least a blip, too.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I think I've seen that map before, IIRC it has something to do with women's rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

A much better version. I love the German sausage: