Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

steinrokkan posted:

It's just bizarre that a development that must rely entirely on the city it neighbours can justify not joining it administratively.

Yep. And it plays merry hell with a city's tax base. When all of the middle- and high-income citizens fled back in the sixties, and now fight tooth and nail to avoid ever paying any taxes to the city again, the city's services suffer badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

I live in the rape of Manhood.

My personal favorite is the rape of Buttinghill. Though Battle Rape is a pretty close second.

edit. Apparently the rapes are the big divisions. Which is a little sad, since boroughs aren't nearly as exciting.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 31, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TheImmigrant posted:

The bloodsuckers on the federal government are mostly in Northern Virginia.

Ahh, and yet somehow we managed to avoid getting saddled with their bad reputation, while still benefiting from their tax revenues! Sweet.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

HookShot posted:

Greater Scandinavia wins for having parts on North America as well as Europe.

I love this map because you can see the Varangian Guard retirement homes in northern Thrace.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

So, sort of a cross between distribution_of_suburbs.jpg and us_rainfall.jpg? I can see it. It helps that urban areas are already disproportionately in areas with actual water, with the notable exception of California.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

vintagepurple posted:

The obvious thing to take from this map is "the south is the poorest part of the country, especially appalachia" but I know so many people back in Texas that would look at it and think it confirms that "small government fiscal conservatism" keeps prices low and the economy healthy.

To which the response is simple: it's supply and demand! There's more demand for parts of the country that aren't impoverished and sad, so the price of living there is higher! (Since it's literally impossible to increase the supply of New York. Except for housing I guess.) These folks are supposed to worship the Iron Laws of the Market, right?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

And that, gentlemen, is how I straight-up murdered three seals before lunchtime! Crumpets, anyone?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Didn't the Catholic Church in France historically have a little more institutional freedom than its counterparts in other places? Or is that just something my brain made up at some point?

No, that's accurate, for much of the early modern period. Where other nations flirted with starting their own churches, the French crown basically clung hard to Catholicism, suborning bits of the Catholic hierarchy to its own service. It helped that France, as one of the most powerful remaining Catholic realms, could basically tell the Pope to gently caress off if it wanted to, and the Pope couldn't risk that happening.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

The gently caress is a head of government?

Head of government is the bigwig executive. Head of state is in charge of cutting ribbons and shaking diplomats' hands. Sometimes these are the same person.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

I couldn't even name Denmark's monarch to be honest (and I'm Finnish). I'm pretty certain that if you asked say, a random American they wouldn't even know Denmark is a monarchy.

There are elected head of states with symbolic power.

Yes, and do you know who was one?

:godwinning:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Since the Holy Roman Emperor was elected, does that mean that Merkel is the Kaiserin?

The closest thing to it, yep. Especially if you consider the German state a legitimate successor to the first two Reichs.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Torrannor posted:

I must always laugh at these maps in which no part of the former USA ever joins Canada :rolleyes:

Also, all maps in which VA somehow goes completely to some sort of neo-Confederacy. You're gonna have to slice off at least the northern third and give it to the DC rump state, and that's assuming the southeastern third doesn't want to stay too because of the sweet sweet military money pipe.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Pretty sure it's not so much to do with them being hot and muscular (because basically all laborers are muscular), but more to do with blacksmithing being a respected, well-compensated skilled trade in constant high demand up until the Industrial Revolution. Same goes for millers, priests, bakers... pretty much all those things except shepherds and probably miners? Which are isolated.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

From this we learn that Europe played entirely too much Crusader Kings 2 and EU4, and in punishment, a congress of African leaders should be convened to redraw all of their borders arbitrarily.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Peanut President posted:

The US isn't a country because it is a Union of States
It's not a democracy because of the Electoral Congress
It's not a republic because of Direct Democracy in the form of referendums
It has not been at war since 1947

No this is super wrong sorry! A union of states can become a nation-- just look at Switzerland, or Germany! Typically it involves a new governing document indicating the transition, or else a constitutional crisis in which a 'new' interpretation of the original document wins out. Guess which one we had!

And if I'm reading this post correctly it argues that the US isn't a democracy because it's a republic, and it isn't a republic because it's a democracy. :psyduck:

You are correct about not technically being at war though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Finally all of Scandinavia is Advanced, while the US has entered the Modern period.

Ugh. How long before Sweden is just repeating Future Tech whilst laying waste to Europe with Giant Death Robots???

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lord Wexia posted:

I know pretty much nothing of Chinese politics.

With that out of the way; does this map tell me that the little island of the ROC (Taiwan?) really makes a territorial claim to everything from Mongolia to India?

Yes.

The ROC is what remains of nationalist China, which was overthrown in Mao's revolution. It maintained control over Taiwan, and only over Taiwan, but retained its claim to be the legitimate Chinese government. This is clearly laughable, but it took a while for the PRC's claims to be recognized, because scary communists. The web of international recognition is still pretty tangled, as for a while (and possibly still) the PRC was very prickly about maintaining diplomatic relations with a nation that also had relations with the ROC.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Tiberius Thyben posted:

It's probably been posted, but:

This advertisement for Absolute Vodka depicting Mexico with it's borders prior to the American Invasion was used in Mexican Markets, and was apparently fairly well received. However, the ad was pulled when groups in the US threatened to boycott it, claiming that it was calling for invasion, or was referring to immigration issues.

Maybe we can compromise, and just give them Texas?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Albermarle County is the island of cherry-red in west-central Virginia, circling Charlottesville. It's also Virginia's wine and horse country, where an inordinate number of wineries (including Trump's) are located. I can believe it's only half natives.

Also visible is the DC agglomeration, trailing down from Arlington toward Stafford. The dark red in the southeast is VA Beach, obviously, but I'm not sure about the one on the peninsula between Richmond and Norfolk. James City or York County, I think, so it's probably down to military bases. We've got a lot of them. I think the one down in the far southwest is just people straying across the border from Tennessee.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Whiteness is a social construct the nature of which changes from generation to generation, A Good Map.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

For some reason, white supremacists have a hard-on for the Holy Roman Empire and its various descendents and bastard children with Christian Scandinavia. I wonder why this could be. I mean, this map is literally just HRE.jpg plus the most Normanized bits of England and the populated parts of Scandinavia, leaving out the bits that stayed with ancestral belief practices longest.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Byzantine posted:

That's not the HRE, it's Charlemagne's Empire.

Well, granted-- crusader kings 2 leads me to conflate the two, and the HRE certainly liked to trace itself directly to Charlie.

Either way, very much germaniceurope.jpg.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

It's always kinda a coin toss whether Colorado shows up on maps of states that are bad in whatever way.

Hmm! I wonder if you could compile a meta-analysis map, in which states were colored on a spectrum of blue to red based on what percentage of maps have them in the "good state" category.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Promontorium posted:

Yes you could. And what constitutes "good" would differ between everyone else. Well, at least your map would show you where you could go to find the most people who agree with your specific version of good. Unfortunately the map would be useless for everyone else...unless you made it interactive. Like a better version of one of those terrible "What _____ are you?" surveys. Each person could choose all the "good" aspects in their opinion, then the map would show them where they can get the most applause for patting themselves on the back.

I'm aware of the concept of relative morality, yes.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

No Safe Word posted:

Rivers are for nerds.

But if you replace that river on the map with an interstate that works for my city.

Cities not built around rivers or the coast are modern abominations created by the steel demons of the railroad, hth

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

This.

Anyway:

Furry conventions?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

People who use the wrong system of units are subhuman and bad people, and should be outlawed, IMO.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The Belgian posted:

The Vatican also has the college of cardinals.

College of Cardinals isn't a legislature, as it makes no laws. It's more like the Electors of the Holy Roman Empire. Either way, it doesn't have authority over the Vatican, but over the Catholic Church. The closest thing Catholicism has is an ecumenical council, but the Vatican itself is essentially the modern translation of the personal fiefdom of the pope.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

ZShakespeare posted:

The USA after destroying Canada and Mexico in order to be more geographically compact.

Also, using planetbuster bombs to destroy Alaska and Hawaii, and replacing them with artificially constructed islands in the new Sea of Mexico.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

American English = anyone with a name like Bradford or Byrd.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

it is a pronunciation map. what is the word whose first syllable is pronounced one way in the red colored areas and another in the blue?

the url does not reveal the answer this time!

Pecan?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Done well, both are genres which explore familiar subjects (man's inhumanity to man, the terror of the unknown, war and politics) in unfamiliar settings, like how Game of Thrones is basically just the Wars of the Roses with dragons and ice zombies, and the Foundation series is basically the collapse of the Western Roman Empire IN SPACE.

Done poorly, they're both garbage wish fulfillment in worlds where humans do cool poo poo they can't really do, like fly through space or do fire magic. (Do love me some acceptably-written garbage fantasy, though, so I'm not one to talk.)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Jaramin posted:

Problem (poorly) solved!

:canada::respek::911::respek::mexico:

Utterly impractical, but God bless Meximericanada.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The DC flag really is top-notch. It's as though they channeled all the creative energies they don't get to express in Congress into making a good flag! And while the only redeeming quality of Virginia's mediocre seal-flag is that it's the only state flag with tits, Richmond's flag is pretty cool too:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dreddout posted:

I don't know what your talking about that one looks like a corporate logo.

That's the point! North American Union, powered by Viridian Dynamics.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Jaramin posted:

Israel, a notably better place to be born than the United Kingdom, France, or Japan. Yep.

I can see it working out that way, depending on what statistics they used and what weighting they gave each of them. Israel excels in quite a few metrics, even if the "proximity to never-ending hell-war" factor tends to tank its numbers.

That's assuming they didn't just arbitrarily pick categories, of course.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Jaramin posted:

It beats none of those three countries in Corruption, Press freedom, "Global Competitiveness," Education, Deomocracy, or obviously Peace

And it only barely edges out Japan, and only Japan, on GDP per capita. That's a pretty tough sell.

Gives credence to the "just arbitrarily assigned categories" theory, then. It's odd because Canada is higher than the US, which seems to indicate that this isn't an America gently caress Yeah map, but Israel gets more points than most of western Europe, which is a point of view with substantial overlap with America gently caress Yeah.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dreddout posted:

Also it ignores the fact that quality of life varies by location.

For example, There is quite a gap between rural Kansas, and urban Oregon.

This is why some of my favorite maps are those speculative Balkanized-US maps, because nobody ever does their research for them.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I'm the Bible Belt saying "dang" and Utah saying "effing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Debate & Discussion > politically-loaded maps: white people