Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Randandal posted:

Really, the native South Africans call themselves South Africans?

What? Yes. Unless you're asking if some slang local term exists, as does Naija for Nigeria. Or if you mean a name from one of the hundreds of local languages.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

US v. Pakistan is the most interesting thing to me on that map.

edit: snipe, this map

Kegluneq posted:

Teenage birth rate per 1000 women 15–19, 2000-09

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Falukorv posted:

I took the dialect test as a non-US citizen with English as my second language.
Most similar to the Northeast, and somewhat odd also a similarity pocket in San Francisco and Hawaii. Probably due to media influence.

All of those places except the extreme northeast also have a huge amount of people that are first- or second-generation immigrants. New York City, for example, I'd imagine to have more than one distinct set of "New York City accent" answers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Glory to the freedom fighters of Lesotho, Swaziland and Malawi that have resisted the imperialist Oceania aggressors

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I very shamefully memorized my West African countries when I was teaching the map to Nigerian children in Nigeria.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jaramin posted:

If you look closely, there are hash marks across the Sinai Peninsula representing the area taken by Israel in 1973.

The Spanish Empire still exists as well, so this map is pre-1975

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

point of return posted:

Instant Runoff is actually worse than first-past-the-post in some ways, because there's a perverse situation where voting for somebody makes them less likely to win.

But isn't the winner the most mildly agreeable among all the candidates? If a candidate has third- or fourth-most first place votes, but voters of all stripes want him as their second or third choice, isn't that the most agreeable result for the entire electorate?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

Most of Iberia is like that:

DrSunshine posted:

Hey! Just like California! :ca:

The scales are way different, though. To me, living in Texas, fifty people per square km is a whole hell of a lot. And when measuring in square miles, that's something like a 2.5x multiplier. If Spain's low density places were in California, the deep green parts would be very light green to yellow.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

If I have four apples, and most people in my country only have one or two, it really doesn't matter that you have twenty+ apples across the ocean.

I agree, the Northeast has a long and storied history, especially compared to newcomer cities like St. Augustine, Santa Fe or San Antonio.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Find the median, then go something like Dark Red <- Light Red <- Median -> Light Blue -> Dark Blue

More colors if you have extreme results, I guess.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Not political at all, but the most interesting floral range I've ever seen for a species: Sea Buckthorn

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

It's not fireballs (the shots that are lit on fire), it's fireball "whiskey" which tastes like melted red hots.

Which isn't a mixed drink, shot or bomb.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

why do colonials have so bad taste in everything

do the brits have a much more tasteful selection of drinks marketed at people entering the legal minimum drinking age or something

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

also if you don't consider Tibet and Xinjiang places with actual people living there

Someone in Beijing concerned with Xinjiang is like Washington politicians caring about Point Barrow

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jaramin posted:

This is sorta close, and all around just cool. Travel Time to major cities.

I like how the Sahel is much more accessible than British Columbia.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Golbez posted:

Could be worse. 100% of Whittier, Alaska, lives in a single building.

I visited that place, volunteering to build a log house community center over a couple weeks. That town has the weirdest loving people.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kassad posted:

It's really not, good luck telling words apart that only differ by one accent on a vowel (if that).

Grand Fromage posted:

Also there are other Asian languages like Vietnamese and Korean which have tons of homophones but use an alphabet without any problems.

There are tons of people that complain about learning English for these exact reasons. English is terrible with this poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

How prominent are spelling mistakes in Far East languages among the general population? It seems like the vast majority of English-speaking people don't know the proper expression of plurals, as well as having common misspellings of homophones.

edit something I found particularly refreshing was diving into Nigerian Pidgin, which flows really well and makes absolute sense spoken aloud.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Typing is easier since you enter pinyin and choose the characters from a little interface.

Whoa, what are fast keyboard skills like with that system?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yep, I figured that one was easy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I like this one, it's a little :allears:

vv hint: black is not the most important color, for some reason.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 4, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Looks like somebody tried to revise The Clash of Civilizations and gave up half way through.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Some sort of Tom Clancy balance of power poo poo.

These are both really close but this is, like, real, man

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I got the map from the first twenty seconds of this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9puLBIX48M

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"literal, goddamn kingdom"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love maps like this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'd like to see Nigeria's numbers. The upper-middle-class children under about age fifteen will be the first to exclusively speak English/Pidgin and not their native languages.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think a French great plains fur-trapper is one of the more interesting historical professions. Those dudes were out there, and I really don't know a lot about them. Were there really only a thousand or so, judging by that 60,000 number?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

You don't actually need all that many people if all you're doing is extorting furs and other luxury goods out of the natives at gunpoint

oh poo poo, is that why they call them fur-trappers and not animal-trappers?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AlexG posted:

I can see two places on the map labelled "Teufel Luzifer, Beelzebub" - seems kinda hardcore.

Yeah, I only saw two as well. I wonder why that died out

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC radiation measurements from crops grown around coal plants have found levels up to 200% higher than average, due to uranium/thorium particles getting burnt up and spread over everything.

The scale of all things radioactive makes 200% seem pretty drat low by me just eyeballing it. What is triple near-zero?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

There are a half-billion people online in Africa, I follow a few facebook groups for the cultural experience:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/134360540005973/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That everyone spoke English is the #1 reason I was able to make close friends in Nigeria.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

That's interesting that you mention the Discworld books, because that's my go to reference for great translation work as well with the Dutch translation :sun:

"Countries whose official websites feature an animated waving flag GIF "

I was surprised to see UAE so went to government.ae and it's not there :(

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Are there notable differences between wild horses originating from central america and those coming from the east coast?

I don't think there are any wild eastern horses left.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

In the latter case, if you were standing near either edge of Kansas, I take it the ground would appear to slope upwards.

It's hard to visualize.

The uncurved ground would essentially cut into the earth and extend the horizon all the way until the Colorado Cliff at like 1000m. Would that extend the horizon or shorten it? my brain

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fishmech posted:

well clearly we need to do this to find out!

It would do crazy poo poo to the weather. Cold fronts across the Great Plains from Canada would be dampened in the extreme east and west. Somebody get a shovel, I'll make the website.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

injustice.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's the lovely thing. I'm in the south but still in McMuffin territory.

I like the little bits of biscuit territory in Ohio and PA but the most confusing part is probably excluding the Ozarks from biscuits.